• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2009 Begins! (Dec 22nd - Jan 3rd)

Twig

Banned
zoku88 said:
Did you check to make sure each of the four sticks works individually? *shrug*
Not for a while I haven't. I was having bizarre problems with my computer at one point that I thought might've been memory related but it ended up being the hard drive.

I'll probably run memtest at some point this weekend, but I thought I'd ask on the wild off chance someone knew why it might be doing this. Oh well!

mandiller

I'm playing through Sam & Max right now. Loving the humour so far. I bought Tales of Monkey Island previously and really enjoyed Telltale's take on the franchise, but for some reason had never gotten around to getting the Sam & Max seasons. Two seasons for $15 is a steal.

TheOneGuy said:
Anyone know why my 4 sticks of 1GB RAM would add up to 3GB of RAM in 64-bit Win7? I'm aware of the ancient limitations of 32-bit Windows, but this ain't 32-bit.

1) Check the memory profile in CPU-Z. Should say 4096 (I think), otherwise it wasn't inserted properly.
2) Memtest. Based on the results, one of the sticks (OR slots) may be dead.

Had a similar issue with my 6gb. Would read 4 gb, but would show 6gb in say CPU-Z. Memtest showed up with nothing, so I just isolated it to a certain slot and RMA'd my mobo.

Finally got Shattered Horizon to work. Stupid punkbuster was making it so I couldn't get a server list. Really cool game so far. Anyone else I can add on Steam for this game?

Jirotrom

mandiller said:
I'm playing through Sam & Max right now. Loving the humour so far. I bought Tales of Monkey Island previously and really enjoyed Telltale's take on the franchise, but for some reason had never gotten around to getting the Sam & Max seasons. Two seasons for $15 is a steal.
damnit... i think ill bite i really didnt want to spend more than 10 on any of these packs

Chairman Yang said:
Hope Dawn of Discovery comes up as a daily deal

Anyone know if this works on ATI 4800 series cards yet? I thought I heard whisperings of a hotfix patch, but last I tried the ground textures were completely broken.

Truespeed

speculawyer said:
Nice. Love the first one.

You'll probably win by default.

lol, it looks like I'm the only entry. Anyway, it will initiate my backup account with something - because you never know when you'll have to log into the backup account...

Truespeed

TheOneGuy said:
Anyone know why my 4 sticks of 1GB RAM would add up to 3GB of RAM in 64-bit Win7? I'm aware of the ancient limitations of 32-bit Windows, but this ain't 32-bit.

Take a snapshot of your task manager performance screen and post it.

Littlegator said:
So I fired up Crysis for the first time. Much to my dismay, the game crashes whenever I try to do pretty much ANYTHING. I can't change any options or make a new profile without "lol Crysis stopped working."

Anyone know what could be the problem? I'm running Windows 7 x64 Ultimate RTM with a Q6600-G0 @ 3.4GHz, ATi Radeon HD4850, 4GB RAM, AVG, and up-to-date DirectX.

I read about issues with AVG resident shield, Windows 7 permissions and security, etc. I dido everything recommended to resolve those issues (including changing permission & compatibility) short of creating a new non-W7 partition like a couple people suggested. That seems a bit ridiculous for resolving this issue.

Others have said that enabling or disabling vsync will fix these sorts of problems. Then after the problem is fixed set vsync back to where you want it.

Running Crysis in DX9 mode will fix most problems. If you don't want to lose out on the DX10 eye candy then you can use configs with Time of Day modifications that will re-enable all of those DX10 effects except object motion blur.

So if the vsync switch doesnt work then try running in DX9 using the Mster config or a similar config.

TheExodu5

Banned
Jirotrom said:
im holding out for the telltale pack, i dont want to get burned lol

You ready to pay $50 for it? If you just want Sam & Max, $15 is a pretty damned good deal. If you're already willing to pay $50 for the pack, then you may as well wait til Sunday.

Blizzard

Banned
I just glanced back through this thread and saw a bunch of people with credit card problems. Did anyone have their account completely disabled, and if not, did Steam at least fix the problem before the sale ended? I would be surprised if they responded within two days. I think it took 3-4 for me (maybe over a weekend) when I needed a password reset.

The only problem I've had lately is one game taking forever (Mass Effect or another recent one?) in the "Working" thing before it finally went through. I haven't tried to download or play anything. I live in fear of my account suddenly getting disabled because of mistaken fraud detection though, especially if it's a weekend or a short order sale is in progress. Sounds like gifting doesn't work either unless you get someone else to help you (and in that case, who knows what other fraud-detection stuff might come into play).

Jirotrom

TheExodu5 said:
You ready to pay $50 for it? If you just want Sam & Max, $15 is a pretty damned good deal. If you're already willing to pay $50 for the pack, then you may as well wait til Sunday.
i dont want to pay 50, but monkey island is in that pack and if it gets cheaper that would rock

Truespeed said:
lol, it looks like I'm the only entry. Anyway, it will initiate my backup account with something - because you never know when you'll have to log into the backup account...
You already have Half-Life 2? Aww man.

Jube3

I am so weak...so, so weak. Bought sam and max complete after promising myself no spending after buying 4/5 yesterday :lol god i hope the next two days are total duds..

Jube3 said:
I am so weak...so, so weak. Bought sam and max complete after promising myself no spending after buying 4/5 yesterday :lol god i hope the next two days are total duds..

Jube, I know this is OT but omg, Forza 3 is amazing!

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
rkrivs.jpg

I don't know.

kennah

So I could have done the contest before going to bed instead of staying up playing FFTACTICS?! lol. Ok. The Winners are

Funniest - Smash88!
261nkew.jpg

Best Art - Rahk!
2yuf4a0.jpg

And the Random Prize goes to.......Stop it!
33uc0b7.jpg

Thanks to all who participated, these results are final and arbitrary :) Winners will be PMed and will have until 11:00AM EASTERN TIME TO COLLECT! If I do not hear from them by then, their prize is forfeit and there probably won't be runners up.

Slavik81

Is it just that today Trials 2's servers are getting pounded by the deal-takers, or is the game seriously screwed up like this all the time?

It won't let me continue sometimes because it takes 5 to 10 minutes to figure out that I beat the previous stages.

Volcynika

Slavik81 said:
Is it just that today Trials 2's servers are getting pounded by the deal-takers, or is the game seriously screwed up like this all the time?

It won't let me continue sometimes because it takes 5 to 10 minutes to figure out that I beat the previous stages.

Yeah, I'm gonna wait to play that due to all the issues. It's really annoying.

Wallach

Jirotrom said:
any reason as to why mass effect isnt giving me the option for 1920x1080? pretty annoying

It's there on mine. Someone else had a resolution problem and just didn't scroll down to the bottom of the drop-down window.

Stage On

If I missed a deal of the day am I pretty much screwed until next years sale?

I'm tempted to get the Doom pack now but I really wish I had been able to land the Id pack instead when it was $10 cheaper but I was at work that day and had to go straight to my grandparents once I was done :(

brain_stew said:
Buying PC games second hand is very hit and miss, Steamworks and Securom titles for instance may flat out not work. I'd only recommend it for older titles and only then if they aren't available on gog.com.

thanks for the advice

Truespeed

speculawyer said:
Thought you'd be more excited than that. :lol You do still need that right?

Give me your steam account id or just send a friend invite to Speculawyer on Steam.

Depends, do I have to float Homer in zero-g? :) Yes, I'll take it. Thanks again.

Tim-E

Stage On said:
If I missed a deal of the day am I pretty much screwed until next years sale?

I'm tempted to get the Doom pack now but I really wish I had been able to land the Id pack instead when it was $10 cheaper but I was at work that day and had to go straight to my grandparents once I was done :(

Shit will probably end up as a weekend deal at some point, but the price might not be as good.

Wallach

Jirotrom said:
i saw no scroll... let me load it up again

Haha, neither did the other guy. It's hard to see, they made the little scroll arrows almost the exact same color as the rest of the UI stuff.

Parham

Banned
Slavik81 said:

Just today. Usually, the servers work just fine.

Jirotrom

Wallach said:
Haha, neither did the other guy. It's hard to see, they made the little scroll arrows almost the exact same color as the rest of the UI stuff.
:lol :lol :lol cool, game looks great now... but its got glitchy sound, every now and then the speech goes into chipmunk mode... weird

Top Bottom