• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2009 Begins! (Dec 22nd - Jan 3rd)

isamu said:
Damn you GAF for hooking me on this sale!

Street Fighter IV
29.99 USD

Dirt 2
31.99 USD

Batman: Arkham Asylum (NA)
33.49 USD

Saints Row 2 (ROW)
14.99 USD

Wolfenstein
37.49 USD

Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena
6.79 USD

Subtotal
154.74 USD

:( :( :( :(

miss out on SFIV?

Ripclawe said:
10 hours and only 15% at Mass Effect. Please just be the damn servers.

took me all day, I'm pretty sure it's just the servers, it's the #1 selling game right now.

Jet Grind Radio! said:
Damn. I was gonna switch to Win7 and download ME, but I'm gonna wait a few days before I do.

Win 7 ultimate 64 bit here, no problems so far, played about an hour or so.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
fuck.....its been since downloading this afternoon and ME has finally reached 41%.....

Smash88

Banned
LOL. Sweet, I didn't actually think mine was going to be that funny! I'm actually honored. PM sent. Thanks again kennah for picking me! :D

Firestorm

I think Command & Conquer will be part of tomorrow's sale. Hopefully so will FALLOUT 3 GOTY :( It has been in the top 20 since the sale started so I'm not sure if Bethesda wants to do that though. Last day of the sale is our only hope.

Truespeed

Zzoram said:
Why does Mass Effect not let me select 1680x1050 resolution? It only offers 1280x800 and 1280x960 as the highest offerings.

You need to set the aspect ratio to 16x10, in the ME Launcher, before the resolution becomes available in the context aware drop down.

Smash88

Banned
I have 1 Killing Floor and 2 Shattered Horizon guest passes. If anyone wants it, PM me your SteamID, and it will be sent ASAP!

EDIT: I HAVE 1 SHATTERED HORIZON GUEST PASS LEFT!

G-G-G-G-GONNEEEE!

TheExodu5

Banned
You can become pretty damned good with a keyboard in SF IV. It's just a new way of controlling things. The main issue is using the same finger for up and down, which can be a problem if you use a character like C.Viper. Otherwise, you have quicker access to all keys compared to a pad.

I'm a stick user myself, but I'd take a keyboard over a pad. I think binding up to space bar (or any key with a dedicated finger) would be a good idea. Then you'd have 4 fingers for movement on your left hand, and 3-4 fingers for buttons on your right hand (like a stick).

TheExodu5

Banned
parasight said:
To clarify, is the next set of deals the last ones? Or is there one more to go?

Pretty sure we'll see two more. Their last deal in these kinds of events usually seems to be on Sunday.

Dambrosi

Banned
parasight said:
To clarify, is the next set of deals the last ones? Or is there one more to go?
One more to go beyond this one, as far as I know.

And it's 69% of ME downloaded so far. Started just three hours ago :lol

parasight

Nice, thanks for the clarification. I thought since the event ends January 3rd, that would mean tomorrow's would be the last since the 24-hour period would bring it into that last date.

Sysgen

What an f'n hassle. Just spent the last 2 hours figuring out that the AVG Resident Shield was causing Crysis to hang on the options screen.

Ezahn

Guys, I'm in trouble deciding if I, having played the 360 Mass Effect, should buy the PC version while waiting for the sequel...
Is it any better as far as controls are concerned? Graphics? (my rig is a e8400 + 8800 GT + 4gb ddr2 1066)

I read my reviews, but GAF is GAF... ^^

Ezahn said:
Guys, I'm in trouble deciding if I, having played the 360 Mass Effect, should buy the PC version while waiting for the sequel...
Is it any better as far as controls are concerned? Graphics? (my rig is a e8400 + 8800 GT + 4gb ddr2 1066)

PC is the definitive version I think. Graphics are better and I think controls are either even or slight adv to 360 since it was lead platform.

Ezahn said:

PC version....I have both now thanks to the sale today, and yeah....pc version easily. Graphics look pretty great and framerate is extremely stable (you have basically the same computer as me, albeit different cpu, and I run it at 1680,x1050 awesomely)

ElectricBlue187 said:
PC is the definitive version I think. Graphics are better and I think controls are either even or slight adv to 360 since it was lead platform.

Not only just the graphically definitive version, but the inventory was overhauled and the UI is a lot better.

ArjanN

TheExodu5 said:
You can become pretty damned good with a keyboard in SF IV. It's just a new way of controlling things. The main issue is using the same finger for up and down, which can be a problem if you use a character like C.Viper. Otherwise, you have quicker access to all keys compared to a pad.

I'm a stick user myself, but I'd take a keyboard over a pad. I think binding up to space bar (or any key with a dedicated finger) would be a good idea. Then you'd have 4 fingers for movement on your left hand, and 3-4 fingers for buttons on your right hand (like a stick).

I agree with this for the most part, except that if you're using the same finger for up and down on a keyboard, you're doing it wrong.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
kennah said:
So I could have done the contest before going to bed instead of staying up playing FFTACTICS?! lol. Ok. The Winners are

And the Random Prize goes to.......Stop it!
33uc0b7.jpg

Thanks to all who participated, these results are final and arbitrary :) Winners will be PMed and will have until 11:00AM EASTERN TIME TO COLLECT! If I do not hear from them by then, their prize is forfeit and there probably won't be runners up.
Yey!

*Does a happy dance*

Reply to PM sent, and thanks to GCC member Vinsanity for making the picture for me :)

Edit: And as I am feeling nice, I have 2 Guest Passes for Killing Floor and 3 for Shattered Horizon. First come first serve, PM me your SteamIDs if you want them.

legend166

The sound is all screwed up in Max Payne. I think I remember reading something in this thread about a fix. Anyone able to point me to it? I've found one that deals with Vista, but I'm not sure if that'll work with Windows 7/Steam version.

Edit: Nevermind, found it!

Stop It

legend166 said:
The sound is all screwed up in Max Payne. I think I remember reading something in this thread about a fix. Anyone able to point me to it? I've found one that deals with Vista, but I'm not sure if that'll work with Windows 7/Steam version.

Edit: Nevermind, found it!
If anyone else has this issue (And I'm sure there'll at least be a few), the fix is on the Steam forums.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=848215

Des0lar

will learn eventually
GodfatherX said:
how is The Void?

I remember seeing a thread on GAF bout it, I love odd and strange game worlds but I can't stand horrible gameplay and presentation...so I'm kind of weary

I think it's a great little gem, but as someone else said, emotionally draining. I can't play more than an hour at a time. But the strange world got me hooked.

For a guy who has absolutely zero of the games in the Eidos pack, and a steadily increasing backlog because of these sales, does anyone want to talk me out of dropping another 50 bucks on this...or is it really gonna be worth it?

Stop It

someguyinahat said:
For a guy who has absolutely zero of the games in the Eidos pack, and a steadily increasing backlog because of these sales, does anyone want to talk me out of dropping another 50 bucks on this...or is it really gonna be worth it?
People paid that JUST for Batman: Arkham Asylum and probably felt it was worth it, you're getting that AND every other Eidos game on Steam basically for free.

No, I will not be talking you out of it, in fact, buy it already!

someguyinahat said:

No, its not. It has some good games, but to many uninteresting games. The gems are actually just Batman, Deus Ex 1 and Thief: Deadly Shadows. Games like the Tomb Raider and Hitman are good games, but not games that are worth playing if you already have better ones that you still haven´t beaten.

I myself stay away from these kind of packages. I don´t want fill my games list with games that I know I will never play just because its a good deal. I have games like Team Fortress 2 and Torchlight with infinite replayability for when I just want to kill of some time.

I have games like Team Fortress 2 and Torchlight with infinite replayability for when I just want to kill of some time.

Funny you say those two. First two games I bought on Steam until I bought Bioshock (and was gifted HL2 from a friend on TF2.) And yes, there's good mileage from them.

Okay, one says buy and one not so much. Any tie-breakers?

Nitemare1

Gexecuter said:
I am kinda low on monies so i kinda hope today's deals suck, even tough the Witcher or the void for 5 would be great.

The witcher will go on sale. Simply because I already picked it up this week! You can thank me later! ;)

someguyinahat said:
Get it. Tomb Raiders & Batman are worth the price alone. Actuelly more than worth the price.

Dammit all, can somebody direct link me the Complete Shooter Pack? Not showing up on Steam's search and I could've sworn it was somewhere earlier in the thread but can't find it?

On the cusp of grabbing Audiosurf and such with this blocking my way!

Edit: Found it! Damn you Steam search! Browsed Action after Search and under $5 all failed to give results.

Top Bottom