• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2009 Begins! (Dec 22nd - Jan 3rd)

Smash88

Banned
McLovin said:
Sooo.... ME doesn't support 1920x1080?

Yes it does, you need to scroll down. The arrows are hard to see.

Stealth Edit: Can I ever stop being beaten? :lol

So does this sale end on 12pm (noon) tomorrow? Or Monday 12pm? I'm guessing the latter, since through means they go through the 3rd to the 4th? :lol :lol

This wording is so god damn confusing.

The worst part about Morrowind is that since they have an Elder Scrolls "pack" with both Morrowind and Oblivion, there is a real chance of being "Torch'd" on this one.

Trine is mine.

Morrowind I would be tempted to buy, since I loved Oblivion, but I tried to play it before and it just seems too dated to me. Yes, I know, I'm probably a fool for that. :p

kswiston

Alucrid said:
Didn't someone already tell you about no Blizzard games being on Steam?

No Fallout 3, Oblivion or Fallout Collection makes me sad.

The Fallout games are available at GOG.com for $3.89 each.

I prefer getting old titles on GOG because I know that their games actually work on Vista/Win7. Tried to play Farcry 1 yesterday on Steam yesterday (bought it months back during the Ubi 4-pack sale) and it doesn't even run on Win7 64bit.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Volcynika said:
The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind® Game of the Year Edition
The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind® Game of the Year Edition includes Morrowind plus all of the content from the Bloodmoon and Tribunal expansions. The original Mod Construction Set is not included in this package.... more
$19.99 $4.99
Add to Cart

Painkiller: Collectors Pack
The critically-acclaimed and award-winning FPS franchise includes: Painkiller: Black Edition, Painkiller Overdose and Painkiller: Resurrection.... more
$34.99 $8.74
Add to Cart

Counter-Strike: Source
THE NEXT INSTALLMENT OF THE WORLD'S # 1 ONLINE ACTION GAME Counter-Strike: Source blends Counter-Strike's award-winning teamplay action with the advanced technology of Source™ technology.... more
$19.99 $4.99
Add to Cart

Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3
The desperate leadership of a doomed Soviet Union travels back in time to change history and restore the glory of Mother Russia.... more
$29.99 $10.19
Add to Cart

Trine
Trine is a fantasy action game where the player can create and use physics-based objects to beat hazardous puzzles and threatening enemies.... more
$19.99 $4.99
Add to Cart

Only one I would want is Trine and I own it.

Valve clearly doesn't care about my birthday.

TheFatOne

I have been waiting for Morrowind to go on sale. Now all I need to do is download some mods for it. BTW here is a link with information on some Morrowind mods

Mrbob

kswiston said:
The Fallout games are available at GOG.com for $3.89 each.

I prefer getting old titles on GOG because I know that their games actually work on Vista/Win7. Tried to play Farcry 1 yesterday on Steam yesterday (bought it months back during the Ubi 4-pack sale) and it doesn't even run on Win7 64bit.

I haven't booted up Far Cry yet on Win 7 64 bit, but have you tried changing compatability mode?

Apoc29

I didn't know games that were on sale could go even MORE on sale :(. I would have waited for Trine. But I don't feel too bad about losing out on $2.50.

Proc

Nothing yesterday (finished me on 360 and don't have the time to replay it on pc).

Only Trine today.

Saving up for the big grab bag tomorrow. Tropico 3, dawn of discovery, telltale pack...I'm looking at you.

ra3 uprising is only $6.79 now...that is tempting.

Dambrosi

Banned
Hellsing321 said:
Blizzard doesn't have any of their games on Steam.
...I can't believe you wrote that reply AFTER I edited that I was joking. Don't you read spoilers? :lol

Anyway, this is good for me. I've been spending too much already. All I can hope for is a Witcher deal tomorrow, then that's it.

dani_dc

Dr. Zoidberg said:
The worst part about Morrowind is that since they have an Elder Scrolls "pack" with both Morrowind and Oblivion, there is a real chance of being "Torch'd" on this one.
Ah great, now you made me dubious about jumping on the deal :lol

kswiston

Mrbob said:
I haven't booted up Far Cry yet on Win 7 64 bit, but have you tried changing compatability mode?

Tried setting compatibility to Win XP SP2 with no change in result. When the game is launched all I get is a never ending black screen.

Chris R

Gonna grab Morrowind so I don't have to worry about my discs ever again. Would have prefered Fallout 3 goty or Fallout+Oblivion+Morrowind but what are you going to do.

vocab

theMrCravens said:
I'm tempted by Trine, but it looks more like a console game.

What are the odds it goes to XBLA at some point ?

A port was announced but ETA is ?? at this point. There's a PS3 version of the game, but the PC controls/performance are still better.

Volcynika

theMrCravens said:

Atlus USA is publishing it on the 360, but there is no date or estimate yet.

theMrCravens said:

I think it will be, but it's so much cheaper here. I've been meaning to buy it on PS3 but 75% off is too good to pass.

I'll just double dip on PS3 when I want to co-op.

Question to anyone with Morrowind already modded to hell: how do people get it to look so nice and still run smoothly? I have a relatively high end system (4890HD, 4GB RAM, 3.0 ghz quad core), but when I flip on the AA, long distance view, all that fun stuff, the framerate drops to nil.

dani_dc

Yasser said:
fuck man my rpg backlog is getting ridiculous

? it's £6.24 here in uk
It's up now for 8,74 euros, but when I looked at it earlier it wasn't, thought it was region-restricted, but I guess they just took a bit to put it up.

fatty

How long of a game is Morrowind? I'm just speaking of the main game, I'm not too interested in all of the side quests, etc.

Or should I just skip to Oblivion? It'll be a while till I get to playing them, either way.

kswiston

dani_dc said:
Ah great, now you made me dubious about jumping on the deal :lol

Regular priced Morrowind GOTY is $20
Regular priced Oblivion GOTY Deluxe is $35
Regular priced Elder Scrolls GOTY pack is $45

Assuming equal discount on both games, Morrowind GOTY accounts for $16.36 of the regular priced GOTY 2-pack.

If the 2-pack goes on sale for 75% off tomorrow, it will cost $11.25
At that price, morrowind accounts for $4.09 of the 75% off Elder Scrolls 2-pack.

So basically, If the 2-Pack goes on sale for 75% off tomorrow (and I highly doubt it will after today's Morrowind sale), you lose a whopping 90 cents. If it doesn't, you miss out on Morrowind for 75% off.

Up to you to decide which is worse.

EDIT: I suppose if you buy the two pack (effectively buying Morrowind twice) you lose out on $5.

I just started Mass Effect and it's pretty cool but there must be something wrong with the textures because they look like crap on whichever setting I choose. In fact I don't see much difference between low and highest setting, but on highest everything is still too pixelated :( Anyone have this problem?

I´m going to check now the steam forums, hope I find some answers there.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
bytesized said:
I just started Mass Effect and it's pretty cool but there must be something wrong with the textures because they look like crap on whichever setting I choose. In fact I don't see much difference between low and highest setting, but on highest everything is still too pixelated :( Anyone have this problem?

Did you restart the game? The texture setting doesn't take effect until you completely reboot Mass Effect.

Helmholtz

theMrCravens said:

Don't forget the PC version supports the xbox 360 controller. So if you really want to play with a controller, if you have a wired xbox controller you're good to go. The PC controls are fine though, I played with a mouse and keyboard. I'd get it now for $5 personally.

Zzoram

bytesized said:

Steamforums said:
A little creative editing in the Bioengine.ini (My documents\Bioware\Mass Effect\config) can dramatically improve this.

As shown below find the "TextureLODSettings" sub-section of the ini file and start increasing the minLODSize value. I generally multiply them by 4. Don't increase the Max, since that'll generally just crash. Also, editing the values below the line "TEXTUREGROUP_WeaponNormalMap" tends to be unstable, so this is usually the last line I change. Save the file and launch the game. Once you load a game you'll notice immediately that the armour and guns look a lot better, much sharper.
There will be some initial "stutter" as it needs to work a bit harder for the higher resolution textures, but once they're cached the problem will vanish.

Code:
[TextureLODSettings]
//TEXTUREGROUP_Character=(MinLODSize=1024,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=0)
//TEXTUREGROUP_CharacterNormalMap=(MinLODSize=1024,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=0)
//TEXTUREGROUP_Effects=(MinLODSize=1024,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=0)
TEXTUREGROUP_LightAndShadowMap=(MinLODSize=1024,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=0)
TEXTUREGROUP_RenderTarget=(MinLODSize=8,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=0)
//TEXTUREGROUP_Skybox=(MinLODSize=1024,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=0)
//TEXTUREGROUP_UI=(MinLODSize=1024,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=0)
//TEXTUREGROUP_Vehicle=(MinLODSize=1024,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=0)
//TEXTUREGROUP_VehicleNormalMap=(MinLODSize=1024,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=0)
//TEXTUREGROUP_Weapon=(MinLODSize=1024,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=0)
//TEXTUREGROUP_WeaponNormalMap=(MinLODSize=1024,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=0)

This

biocat

I highly doubt Steam would put the same game on sale two days in a row.
Elder Scrolls pack is NOT going to happen tomorrow.

Smash88

Banned
Honestly if anything, Steam/Valve, needs to land/end with a big bang tomorrow. Something totally out of left field, that none of us were expecting or were (sorta)....AKA Every Daily Deal to date, back on sale!

DO IT STEAM DON'T FAIL ME NOW!

bytesized said:
OH MY GOD, WHY?

Thanks a lot though! I was worried there might be some kind of compatibility with my graphic card or something crazy. This is what pisses me off about PC gaming, there´s always something not working like it should, glitches and annoying stuff to do. Consoles FTW!! (end rant - I love Steam)

Ruh Roh!

K.Jack said:
Did you restart the game? The texture setting doesn't take effect until you completely reboot Mass Effect.

OH MY GOD, WHY?

Thanks a lot though! I was worried there might be some kind of compatibility with my graphic card or something crazy. This is what pisses me off about PC gaming, there´s always something not working like it should, glitches and annoying stuff to do. Consoles FTW!! (end rant - I love Steam)

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
I am gonna wait until tomorrow in order to see the last daily deals so i am not getting something today, tomorrow will be crazy (come on the void!).

kswiston

I am going to double dip on Morrowind. I have the disk version of the vanilla game, but not the expansions. Tried to mod the game up earlier in the year, but you need both expansions to install some of the best mods.

Will gift Trine to my brother, but I already have the game myself. Passing on the rest.

Hellsing321 said:
Damn I was hoping for Dawn of War 2. :( I hope they just go crazy tomorrow.

Thank You! I am completely surprised it hasn't been put up there for $10 yet. I would buy it in a heartbeat. As of now I am on the ropes in deciding whether to buy it at $20 or not.

theMrCravens said:

I think it plays better with mouse and keyboard.

And it won't be $5 on XBLA, that's for sure.

Minsc

Gold Member
Peronthious said:
Question to anyone with Morrowind already modded to hell: how do people get it to look so nice and still run smoothly? I have a relatively high end system (4890HD, 4GB RAM, 3.0 ghz quad core), but when I flip on the AA, long distance view, all that fun stuff, the framerate drops to nil.

Morrowind with mods can be a lot more fun than Oblivion, much more items and clothes to buy, and there's some very crazy outfits.

You want something along the lines of FPS Optimizer for Morrowind to always run smoothly, it dynamically adjusts your viewing distance to keep your framerate up to what you specify and works really well.

Edit: Can Rising Sun be played without the original? My original is a physical copy, so I don't know how that'd work if Steam's version needs it.

Top Bottom