• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2009 Begins! (Dec 22nd - Jan 3rd)

Sysgen said:
Did you disable AVG Resident Shield? I couldn't change any options without a freeze until I did that.

I added the Steam folder as an exception. I'll just try outright disabling it and see what happens.

EDIT: That did the trick. I wonder why the exception didn't work. Anyways, thanks a ton. :D

Sysgen

Littlegator said:
I added the Steam folder as an exception. I'll just try outright disabling it and see what happens.

Adding an exception didn't work for me either though it worked for others. Disable it an you'll be good to go.

Brashnir

kswiston said:
Personally, I would like to get Risen for $25 or less. If not in this sale, then in next year's sale.

Yeah, Risen is about the only thing I's bite at if it went on sale.

I have picked up way too many games in this sale so far to be tempted by anything else. I have a giant backlog to play through now.

Bought the following:

Broken Sword Twin Pack
Morrowind GOTY
Medieval II: Total War - Kingdoms
The Dig

I already have Loom, some copies of Indiana Jones & The Fate of Atlantis, and didn´t want The Last Crusade, so I skipped the Adventure Pack.

Its gonna be fun to see if the Kingdoms expansion pack will be cheaper tomorrow, but since they didn´t put it on sale along with Medieval II yesterday I doubt it. And 12,5€ is still a ridicously good price for such a great game.

Dennis

Banned
kswiston said:
Personally, I would like to get Risen for $25 or less. If not in this sale, then in next year's sale.
Risen is worth getting even if not on sale. It is the RPG 2009 GOTY after all.

I'm surprised MW2 nor COD4 have been part of this sale. I mean you would think that at the very least COD4 would be offered at a discount...

kswiston

Shadow780 said:
There is another day right?

If so DAO @ 50% off or more will make me very happy.

Dragon Age: Origins was already a sale of the day. Sadly, it was only 25% off. I think you will have to wait until next years' sale to get a $25 or less price point on DA:O.

bengraven

Relix said:
I am scared to buy the Unreal Pack :lol What if it drops tomorrow

I'm in the same boat as you. I will probably pick it up tomorrow regardless if it's on sale or not.

kswiston said:
Dragon Age: Origins was already a sale of the day. Sadly, it was only 25% off. I think you will have to wait until next years' sale to get a $25 or less price point on DA:O.

Thankfully I picked up a ton of cheap games I've wanted for years so I'm not even worrying about next year. I'm unistalling Steam from early December until January next year.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Trine is up in the top 6 already

I think I'll just wait for the next Holiday Sale on steam before buying anything again:lol

kswiston

DennisK4 said:
Risen is worth getting even if not on sale. It is the RPG 2009 GOTY after all.

With my backlog, I wouldn't get to it before it price drops. I wouldn't feel too bad buying it at $25 and seeing it at $20 before I got around to playing the game. I would feel bad seeing it at $20 if my untouched copy cost $40-50 though.

shintoki said:
I think I'll just wait for the next Holiday Sale on steam before buying anything again:lol

So far my experience with Steam has consisted entirely of buying things on sale for $10 or less. Knowing that they do sales like this I don't know why I would ever buy when something isn't on sale. :lol

Aaron

ktulu said:
should i just get morrowind? or might there be a sale on the elder scrolls pack? advice??
Oblivion might be on sale tomorrow on its own, but it won't be the pack. Valve isn't going to do a back to back sale like that. Besides, Oblivion is well... terrible, even with mods. I honestly can't understand how people can enjoy something so generic and unchallenging.

vocab

charlequin said:
So far my experience with Steam has consisted entirely of buying things on sale for $10 or less. Knowing that they do sales like this I don't know why I would ever buy when something isn't on sale. :lol

Ya, pretty much. The only thing that's full price on my account is retail L4d, and even that wasn't $60. I got $10 Orange box when it was on sale on steam, and the rest is from the Christmas sale, and the nvidia free offer pack.

kswiston

charlequin said:

2 out of every 3 times I buy something for 50% off or less on steam, it ends up price dropping, or going on sale for 75% off before I even get a chance to play the title. This coming year, I am not biting on a weekend deal unless it is 75% off or more.

Its pretty lame that Broken Sword II doesn´t contain the cutscenes. Instead you get message that you should download them from scummvm.org. If they are free, why not include them in the steam download? And free or not, I thought I paid for the full game.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
fixed my red alert issue

One thing i want to know chaps, is it same old red alert 1/2 fare? If so its insta purchase, i love simple turtle rts :D

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
charlequin said:
Only thing I spent more than 10$ on was the THQ Pack. Which I regret since I don't think I'm ever getting to all the games. :lol

I'll be trying something similar except it has to be a 5$ or below for single game, or 10$ and below for packs. I've already acquired one hell of a Steam backlog and my goal in 2010 is not to add too it...except I dipped on Trine since I've been calling it the entire time :lol

soldat7

Trine for $4.99? Dang I don't think I can pass that up. I'd rather play it on my PS3 but I really don't think I can justify spending the extra money on it...

So can anyone clarify whether or not the script/graphic extenders work for the Steam version of Morrowind? If not, then the Steam version is pretty much worthless.

eznark

Banned
soldat7 said:
Trine for $4.99? Dang I don't think I can pass that up. I'd rather play it on my PS3 but I really don't think I can justify spending the extra money on it...
It's pretty broken on the PS3. Get it on the PC for sure.

soldat7

eznark said:
It's pretty broken on the PS3. Get it on the PC for sure.

Cool. Thanks.

Basileus777 said:
So can anyone clarify whether or not the script/graphic extenders work for the Steam version of Morrowind? If not, then the Steam version is pretty much worthless.

I was just about to buy this too...I'd love to mod the heck out of it if possible.

dakilla13

Relix said:
I am playing Crysis and the stuttering is just making me mad. Can't play the game at all! This is the CPU usage:

n49shu.jpg

The first half is in-game. See those spikes? I am more than fine with the game dropping to 15-20FPS every once in a while since normally it runs at 30, but when I for example zoom, the game stutters and then proceeds. It has come to the point that sometimes the game halts completely, CPU and GPU usage drop to 0% and the game automatically pauses when it starts working again. Making me so pissed off.

What does your system look like? When my computer does that in Crysis Warhead, the hard drive is spinning trying to catch up to the rest of the system, since it is old and slow.

Volcynika

Are both Kane's Wrath and Tiberium Wars worth it? If I only get one, I'm trying to decide which one not to get.

Also people as usual "baw the deals suck" They're pretty good, I think!

Also I pointed out how all C&C was 66% many posts ago and people still don't notice :p

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Volcynika said:
Are both Kane's Wrath and Tiberium Wars worth it? If I only get one, I'm trying to decide which one not to get.

Also people as usual "baw the deals suck" They're pretty good, I think!

Also I pointed out how all C&C was 66% many posts ago and people still don't notice :p
id be all over it but only red alert 3 appears on the uk store :(

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
33 bucks for borderlands doesn't seem too shabby but I know none of my friends will ever have it on PC so ... why bother

bengraven

It's a shame I don't have more Steam friends.

Steam ID: mrdiabolikal

Going to be playing some Street Fighter IV and Left4Dead this weekend. Probably Unreal tomorrow as well, regardless of the deal price.

Jirotrom

kswiston said:
You're not going to get a two month old game for 80% off. Why not hope for a $10 Dragon Age Origins or a $12 Modern Warfare 2? Both of those are equally as likely as Borderlands at $10.
to be honest I think that would be a great move on activisions part... can you imagine the percentage spike in sales.... i honestly think they would make more profit, to each their own i guess.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
bengraven said:

Going to be playing some Street Fighter IV and Left4Dead this weekend. Probably Unreal tomorrow as well, regardless of the deal price.

OOOH hit me up for some L4D. going to pick up a mic today so I'll be down

ID:Monosylabik

Mrbob

eznark said:
Red Alert 3 Uprising is also on sale, at $7. Is it worth it? Looks like it got hammered by reviewers.

Yeah reading the reviews making me second think a purchase. Especially with DoW2 Chaos rising only a couple months away.

Minsc

Gold Member
sgnhh said:
Waiting for Trine finally paid off! I got that and Morrowind. Does anyone have a small list of essential Morrowind mods? Mostly looking for mods that improve the graphics and update them as much as possible. This

http://www.stevemv.com/other/enhancements/morrowind/index.html

appears to be a good starting point.

Missing some big ones I think. Here's a better list to browse through, but there's probably still better out there.

Some notable things that pack was missing:

Morrowind FPS Optimizer
GIANTS Ultimate
Adventurers

Those three alone no one should skip, there's a good dozen others as well, but I'm having trouble recalling them now, and can't locate my saved mods atm.

NeoUltima

...I vowed not to buy anything else. Then Trine comes up for $5...This is like thievery, Steam. Just can't resist buying games I'll never get to play just cause they're cheap.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Volcynika said:

Are you interested in the Campaign or in Multiplayer/Skirmishes?

If it's the Campaign, get Tiberium Wars, otherwise get Kane's Wrath.

bengraven

Okay, good show Koopa, but you are literally the first person I've played against in a Street Fighter game for 5 years. Including the CPU.

I need to practice up before letting in random fighters.

Yasser

bengraven said:

added, i might be down for some sf iv

Top Bottom