• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2009 Begins! (Dec 22nd - Jan 3rd)

Aaron

Morrowind runs pretty spiffy on netbooks, btw. Just get the custom resolution mod. Sorry I don't have a link for it, but it should be easy to google.

Smash88

Banned
vocab said:
oof. The deals today are pretty bad.

Don't worry they are making it look bad on purpose today.

Then tomorrow they will take your wallet out for a nice dinner, slip the date rape drug into her glass as she is in the washroom, take her into an alley behind the restaurant, do bad things to it, then dump its body in the dumpster.

I think I took that a bit too far huh? :lol

I know my friends wallet is taking a beating from all the packs and daily deals he bought, he went over his steam Christmas/new years sale budget. He is actually pissed, but it is too good too pass up on.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Guys i want to get red alert 3, however the demo simply wont allow me to go windowed or to go past 1024/768 in resolution, to which i have no idea why.

Has anyone else experienced this problem in the full game? or the demo for that matter?

is counter strike source playable for someone who hasn't played counterstrike since 2001 and has no idea about higher level play? or is this going to be a spawn-die-spawn-die type thing?

kswiston

I now have 56GB of backlogged steam games to download, and a monthly cap of 70GB....

Cap resets at midnight tonight (and I still have 8GB to burn through today), but I will have to space these downloads out for the next two months not to bust my cap. Especially if I get Mass Effect 2 on the 26th. Expecting that to be another 10-15GB game.

Whoever decided that it would be a good idea to cap a 30mbps line at 70GB per month is evil.

SonOfABeep said:
is counter strike source playable for someone who hasn't played counterstrike since 2001 and has no idea about higher level play? or is this going to be a spawn-die-spawn-die type thing?
Well, I've been playing it since 1.5, but I've never got to that higher tier and I find it easy to go back to after months and months of not playing.

Just such for a sever that's not too competitive and you'll have a blast. It's still fantastic fun, even after COD, TF2, etc...

kswiston said:
Whoever decided that it would be a good idea to cap a 30mbps line at 70GB per month is evil.

I would go over than in a few days. :lol

Blizzard

Banned
SonOfABeep said:
I joined some server with "noob" in the title having never played any Counterstrike, but I think it was actually a "noob clan" server. Still, most people weren't raging and I just muted the loud ones, so it's more of a matter of goofing around and doing what you want, or trying to play with your team. As long as you're okay with half the people using the AWP sniper rifle and instakilling you if you walk around the wrong corner, you're fine. :p

is today the last day of sales or are we going to get more deals tommrow? I am sitting on stuff waiting to see if they were going to show up on the daily deals list.

Blizzard said:
I joined some server with "noob" in the title having never played any Counterstrike, but I think it was actually a "noob clan" server. Still, most people weren't raging and I just muted the loud ones, so it's more of a matter of goofing around and doing what you want, or trying to play with your team. As long as you're okay with half the people using the AWP sniper rifle and instakilling you if you walk around the wrong corner, you're fine. :p

heh thanks. guess it's worth five dollars.

Vanilla Counter Strike was impossible to get back into for me when I found an old key i activated on steam so I wondered if source was any better.

vocab

SonOfABeep said:

Vanilla Counter Strike was impossible to get back into for me when I found an old key i activated on steam so I wondered if source was any better.

It's really not worth $5. 1.6 is still playable, and a much better game. Trust me, the skill level/gap in 1.6 is not as bad as you make it. People are still average at that game. Source is just blah, and has elements that cut down on a learning curve, and skill gap. The game feels terrible in comparison. Valve barely worked on Source, and there are so many bugs that will go unfixed.

I still hold out hope for a great Drakensang deal tomorrow...as unlike King's Bounty: AP, it hasn't even been partially discounted throughout the entire sale.

Zzoram

vocab said:
It's really not worth $5. 1.6 is still playable, and a much better game. Trust me, the skill level/gap in 1.6 is not as bad as you make it. People are still average at that game. Source is just blah, and has elements that cut down on a learning curve, and skill gap. The game feels terrible in comparison. Valve barely worked on Source, and there are so many bugs that will go unfixed.

So in other words, CS:Source is more noob friendly.

bengraven

Counter-Strike is tempting - but I'm sure the community will be able to kick my ass considering I'm a literal, complete n00b at the game.

Morrowind is tempting - I bought vanilla MW on PC and put in hundreds of hours. Then bought the GOTY on Xbox and put another few hundred hours. Tempting to buy so I can install on my new PC with everything finally maxed and new mods. Hm, tempting indeed.

Blizzard

Banned
SonOfABeep said:

The best part was that I just used the giant machine gun most every life. I wouldn't kill people very often, but every once in a while I would run around a corner or two strategically, or after a grenade, and just empty the machine gun into their torso/head region. Occasionally that would result in some amusing comments from the dead pro players. :lol

I do hate that the screen goes white for flashbangs instead of grey or something though, it's practically blinding even with monitor brightness down, if I recall correctly. Some of the gun sounds are also really loud with earphones so I turned them down.

dakilla13

Yay! Glad I waited for Trine, and didn't get "Torched" :lol Now all I have left on my wishlist is Psychonauts for $2.50 and Gothic 3 for $5.00 and I will be very happy.

vocab said:
I always sucked at 1.5/6, so I guess that's why I prefer Source. I've been playing it since the beta and I can still go back and have a blast with it.

<3 CSS for life. The lack of updates is sucky, though.

vocab

Zzoram said:
So in other words, CS:Source is more noob friendly.

Yes, and no. It still has Counter Strike elements, but the recoil is less apparent, and it feels less like an aim based game. Dealing with flashes in Source is a nightmare, but in 1.6 If you know how to turn your mouse, and/or know the angles of when Flashbangs go off/fly off, you can avoid about 95% of flashbangs. High level source is all about counter flashing.

I didn't like Oblivion. Didn't hate it just didn't love it. I probably shouldn't get morrowind right?

I've got CSS, Painkiller, Trine and CoH so I don't need Red Alert...CoH is the only RTS I need lol

too bad. there's some good deals here just nothing for me

Smash88

Banned
Kabuki Waq said:
is today the last day of sales or are we going to get more deals tommrow? I am sitting on stuff waiting to see if they were going to show up on the daily deals list.

The timer reset. And next to the timer it says, when the timer reaches zero a new set of deals. So there should be more. 1 more to be precise.

bengraven

Fuck it, I'm triple dipping on Morrowind. I've never been able to max the game out and now I have a chance to, considering I can max out Oblivion.

ElectricBlue187 said:
I didn't like Oblivion. Didn't hate it just didn't love it. I probably shouldn't get morrowind right?

If you would hate a larger "feeling" world, 3x the factions, a deeper magic system, and a world with a ton more variety in quests and unique environments, then yeah, you probably would hate it.

Edit: added "feeling" because I know Oblivion is a larger world that Morrowind. But with fewer fast-travel options and some deceptively large open areas, you'd never know.

kswiston

ElectricBlue187 said:

I've got CSS, Painkiller, Trine and CoH so I don't need Red Alert...CoH is the only RTS I need lol

too bad. there's some good deals here just nothing for me

What didn't you like about Oblivion? If it was the open ended nature of the game, then pass on Morrowind. It makes Oblivion look linear.

Worst day of deals yet. We definitely need a cheap Fallout 3 pack. Or maybe the first Modern Warfare or Borderlands for 10 bucks would be cool. Also we need all the old sales to come back for the last day.

ssoass

Smash88 said:
Don't worry they are making it look bad on purpose today.

Then tomorrow they will take your wallet out for a nice dinner, slip the date rape drug into her glass as she is in the washroom, take her into an alley behind the restaurant, do bad things to it, then dump its body in the dumpster.

I think I took that a bit too far huh? :lol

I know my friends wallet is taking a beating from all the packs and daily deals he bought, he went over his steam Christmas/new years sale budget. He is actually pissed, but it is too good too pass up on.

Aren't these the last deals?
Or are the last ones tomorrow?

Oh wait nvm, January 3rd, I thought it was till January 2nd.

So what's a good site for Morrowind mods? I'm not quite sure if I'll get it, but I want to see if there is any sort of interesting mods developed for the game.

bengraven

Wish list for tomorrow is lower prices on:

Fallout 1/2
King's Bounty Gold
Guild Wars Trilogy OR
Guild Wars Factions
Guild Wars Nightfall
Risen
Battlefront II

bengraven

crimsonheadGCN said:
So what's a good site for Morrowind mods? I'm not quite sure if I'll get it, but I want to see if there is any sort of interesting mods developed for the game.

TES Nexus
Planet Elder Scrolls

My main Elder Scrolls mod sites. Nexus also does great collections of Fallout and Dragon Age mods.

Am I going to have to post my Morrowind mods after already PMing a ton of people my Oblivion mods a few months ago? :lol

Parham

Banned
crimsonheadGCN said:

Here is a good list of mods for Morrowind.

kswiston

Team Vernia said:
Or maybe the first Modern Warfare or Borderlands for 10 bucks would be cool.

You're not going to get a two month old game for 80% off. Why not hope for a $10 Dragon Age Origins or a $12 Modern Warfare 2? Both of those are equally as likely as Borderlands at $10.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
I am playing Crysis and the stuttering is just making me mad. Can't play the game at all! This is the CPU usage:

n49shu.jpg

The first half is in-game. See those spikes? I am more than fine with the game dropping to 15-20FPS every once in a while since normally it runs at 30, but when I for example zoom, the game stutters and then proceeds. It has come to the point that sometimes the game halts completely, CPU and GPU usage drop to 0% and the game automatically pauses when it starts working again. Making me so pissed off.

I was wondering if any of you guys have some advice or help for my Crysis issue I posted some pages back.

Littlegator said:
So I fired up Crysis for the first time. Much to my dismay, the game crashes whenever I try to do pretty much ANYTHING. I can't change any options or make a new profile without "lol Crysis stopped working."

Anyone know what could be the problem? I'm running Windows 7 x64 Ultimate RTM with a Q6600-G0 @ 3.4GHz, ATi Radeon HD4850, 4GB RAM, AVG, and up-to-date DirectX.

I read about issues with AVG resident shield, Windows 7 permissions and security, etc. I dido everything recommended to resolve those issues (including changing permission & compatibility) short of creating a new non-W7 partition like a couple people suggested. That seems a bit ridiculous for resolving this issue.

Sysgen

Littlegator said:
I was wondering if any of you guys have some advice or help for my Crysis issue I posted some pages back.

Did you disable AVG Resident Shield? I couldn't change any options without a freeze until I did that.

Top Bottom