• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2009 Begins! (Dec 22nd - Jan 3rd)

Minsc

Gold Member
Here's a better link for Morrowind mods.

Here's someone's recommended list which sounds pretty well done as well:

Graphics Improvements:
----------------------

Visual Pack(1.1, 2.2, and XT)

Better Bodies 2.2

Better Heads

Daedric Custodians(greatly improves the look of Daedric shrines(though it does make some doors look slightly funky).

Daedric, Glass, and Ebony enhancers by GhostNull

Silverware enhancer by GhostNull

No-Glo(removes glowing saran wrap effect)

Better Glow(those items that no-glo doesn't remove the glow from now have a pulsing glow, with two options for pulse speed).

Adul's Artifact Replace(several replacements for artifact weapons, especially Trueflame, which looks HORRIBLE in it's original form)

Statue Replacer(offers three new looks for daedric statues)

Nature of Morrowind: Rainforest of the Bitter Coast(makes the Bitter Coast really seem like a swamp by adding a LOT more detail)

Green Blood by Qarl(makes certain enemies have green blood, and also improves the default red blood look)

Also get bottle and flask replacers from Qarl.

Tweaks, Fixes, Improvements
----------------------------

Morrowind Comes Alive(adds 3000 NPCs to the game, makes them travel from place to place, has them wander the wilderness and help a player fighting a monster. Adds henchmen, improves gaurds, adds new gaurd types, and generally just makes the game much more cool) THIS MOD IS A MUST HAVE!

Economy Fixes by VenomByte(I only used the one file that changes the loot in the game so that monsters don't drop super awesome stuff nearly as often. The other file makes services more expensive and that didn't appeal to me. Apply as you will, but I highly recommend the one that tones down loot).

All the sound packs from Puma Man.

Walled City, Indy Bank with Glowfix(Makes Balmora more believable, adds banks to Vvardenfell, and adds glow to the windows of most places).

Mugging fix(fixes a bug Bethesda introduced when they patched the game)

Mournhold Sewer Fix(bug fix)

The official mods(Firemoth and Helm of Tohan are not that great however, so you could just avoid them. Firemoth conflicts with a lot of landmass mods anyway).

Crimson Plague Quest Tweaker(bugfix)

Vivec Expansion(adds slums to Vivec)

Guest Cottage(puts a cottage next to the temple in Mournhold, nice place to rest, looks good)

LTB Helseth Ring by Luke the Banished(tones down a way overpowered item)

Tribunal Quest Fix by Enmesharra(bugfix)

Creature Mods
--------------

All the wildlife mods by Abot(waterlife and birds mainly)

Cait's Critters Unleashed(adds farm animals to towns)

Better Solsthiem Creatures by Fallen

Giants Ultimate by Puma Man(the related tools I will list below are VITAL when using this mod)

Animal Realism(reduces "pest" attacks by lesser wildlife)

Highly Advanced Clanfears by Skott Hunter(he actually spelled it wrong, Clannfear has two "n"s in it.)

Get the other "Highly Advanced" creature mods from him too. It makes Daedra significantly tougher.

Tougher Dagoth Ur(makes Red Mountain a much scarier place)

Tools, Utilities
-----------------

Morrowind FPS Optimizer(takes advantage of a very unique aspect of Morrowind's engine, and can adjust visual settings on the fly as you play to control your framerate, and offers other tweaks as well, like unlocking the maximum view distance) THIS IS A MUST HAVE PROGRAM!

Giants Creature Remover by Puma Man(removes creatures from the Giants Ultimate mod. In my case I chose to remove the following: Pack Nix Hounds(annoying), all forms of Spriggan(not supposed to be on Vvardenfell + annoying), Winged Night Sprites(looked really bad), and Fire Daedra(also look bad, don't fit into the game properly))

Morrowind List Merge(Merges the leveled lists of the mods you have installed.) THIS TOOL IS VITAL. NOT USING IT CAN LEAD TO HUGE PROBLEMS WITH YOUR MODS COOPERATING

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Kagari said:
I purchased Mass Effect from Steam and it won't run... but all my other games will. Any suggestions?

Steam said:
* WINDOWS VISTA OR WINDOWS 7 USERS: Launching “Mass Effect” from Steam requires the setting “Run as Administrator”. If the User Account Control feature of Windows Vista is enabled, launching “Mass Effect” from Steam will result in failure. For users with User Account Control enabled, launch Steam using the “Run as Administrator” option or launch from the windows shortcut.

Could this be it?

vocab

ezekial45 said:
Just curious; Is fallout 3 on the PC well optimized?

The PC version is the best version of Fallout 3, but at the same time it has the same Bethesda bug bullshit that all the other platforms have.

when I run Trine at 1400x900 it gives me a black border on the right side. Is there a way to set the refresh rate for the game?

EDIT: Nevermind I googled and found the answer. Now the game is perfect :D

ezekial45

Banned
vocab said:
The PC version is the best version of Fallout 3, but at the same time it has the same Bethesda bug bullshit that all the other platforms have.

If it's the same sorta bugs that appeared on the console versions (i played on 360), then i'm fine with that.

bengraven

Yasser said:
added, i might be down for some sf iv

Sounds good. It finally installed for me an hour ago, so I'm still getting used to using the 360 pad for fighting so you guys gotta give me some time before I accept requests again. I got my ASS kicked six times in a row before jumping into the training room. :lol

Minsc said:
Here's a better link for Morrowind mods.

Here's someone's recommended list which sounds pretty well done as well:

Agreed and there are a few there that weren't around back when I played hardcore. Someone needs to package them in one big bundle and make an unofficial expansion pack.

ZZMitch

I am contemplating if I should rebuy Red Alert 3 if I already have it on disc... do I still have to deal with all that Gamespy Comrade shit if I buy through Steam?

Yasser

bengraven said:
Sounds good. It finally installed for me an hour ago, so I'm still getting used to using the 360 pad for fighting so you guys gotta give me some time before I accept requests again. I got my ASS kicked six times in a row before jumping into the training room. :lol
i am NOT good at this game, haven't played a fighter seriously since guilty gear years ago so..

Kagari said:
I purchased Mass Effect from Steam and it won't run... but all my other games will. Any suggestions?
iirc, you were making fun of Mass Effect the other day. :lol

Nice purchase.

I wonder what they're saving for the last day. I'm hoping some epic deals.

firehawk12 said:
Kind of confused myself - does the sale as a whole end at noon tomorrow or is there one more day until the 4th?

"Get a new set of deals when timer reaches zero!" = new set of deals tomorrow.

Volcynika

firehawk12 said:
Kind of confused myself - does the sale as a whole end at noon tomorrow or is there one more day until the 4th?

Again :p

From their news post for today:

"STEAM HOLIDAY SALE: DAY ELEVEN
JANUARY 2, 2010, 8:59 AM - VALVE - GENERAL ANNOUNCEMENT

Just two more days of great savings. In addition to the publisher packs and catalog discounts throughout the store, here are the one-day-only deals for today:"

So counting today, two more left!

eznark

Banned
CecilRousso said:
In what way is it broken? I´m debating with myself whether or not I should purchase it on PC, PS3 or not at all.
Play the PS3 demo then buy it on PC. It runs like shit on the PS3, seriously.

Volcynika

Scipius said:
Today, Morrowind.
Tomorrow, Oblivion.
Last day, Fallout 3.

But tomorrow is the last day of daily deals we'll see that ends at Monday at noon. Today and tomorrow = two days!

(Or it's some joke I don't see)

ATF487

I may buy that Eidos pack on the last day, my laptop runs Batman much better than I thought it would.

Everyone is saying that they want every deal back on the last day, but wouldn't that absolutely destroy the servers?

FSLink

Banned
1-D_FTW said:
Anyone know if it's difficult to get Trine playing nice with the Wiimote/nunchuk? I'd prefer to play it on the HDTV with that. And I've got a USB bluetooth adaptor that I bought months ago sitting around.

I doubt it, just use GlovePIE and script the keyboard keys and mouse to the Wiimote + Nunchuk.

Blizzard

Banned
The official Steam Holiday Sale thread of "This game is buggy, has performance problems, flickers, and crashes after deleting my save, but it hurts less because the game only cost me $3-10." :D

I haven't even downloaded anything from the sale besides Civ 4, I don't think, so at least the servers should be better if I ever get around to other games.

bengraven

Yasser said:
i am NOT good at this game, haven't played a fighter seriously since guilty gear years ago so..

Same! :lol

God DAMN this is a beautiful game though. Every single thing maxed at 1280x rez and I'm getting 60fps consistently.

RedSwirl

For anyone trying to play Crysis, the 1.2 patch made a HUGE difference in performance. For me it made the difference between running it at mid settings in 1024 x 768 and running it on high settings in 1440 x 900.

Smash88

Banned
Mr. Spinnington said:
you're not banned yet!

Why would I get banned for talking about our wallets getting destroyed because of all of the awesome sales? If anything that's a compliment to Steam/Valve for doing such a great job...

Unless my joke meter is broken and I totally missed it...

Sanjay

RedSwirl said:
For anyone trying to play Crysis, the 1.2 patch made a HUGE difference in performance. For me it made the difference between running it at mid settings in 1024 x 768 and running it on high settings in 1440 x 900.

I thought Steam games came patched up to date.

Javaman

ATF487 said:
I may buy that Eidos pack on the last day, my laptop runs Batman much better than I thought it would.

Everyone is saying that they want every deal back on the last day, but wouldn't that absolutely destroy the servers?

Yeah, I bet the last day is going to be insane as far as purchases.

Baha

bengraven said:
It's a shame I don't have more Steam friends.

Steam ID: mrdiabolikal

Going to be playing some Street Fighter IV and Left4Dead this weekend. Probably Unreal tomorrow as well, regardless of the deal price.

Added, any excuse to fire up L4D is a good one :D .

n8

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know much about laptop stuff so I guess I'll drop this here...

My boss is selling a laptop for cheep. Inspiron 9300 Pentium M 750 1.86 GHz with a ATI Mobility Radeon X300 64 MB HyperMemory. Would it be anything good for valve games/pre 2005? It would be nice to have a little gaming on the go.

ktulu

Neo Member
n8BitMan said:

My boss is selling a laptop for cheep. Inspiron 9300 Pentium M 750 1.86 GHz with a ATI Mobility Radeon X300 64 MB HyperMemory. Would it be anything good for valve games/pre 2005? It would be nice to have a little gaming on the go.

you wouldn't be able to play any source games i don't think

biocat

n8BitMan said:

Basically anything you could play on a netbook would run on that. I don't know how much your boss is selling it for, but I doubt it's worth it.

ktulu

Neo Member
n8BitMan said:

biocat said:
Basically anything you could play on a netbook would run on that. I don't know how much your boss is selling it for, but I doubt it's worth it.

i agree i'd get a nice netbook if you wanted pc gaming on the go.

Truespeed

Kagari said:
Still didn't work. Game is running like a slideshow :/

We can't really help if you don't supply information. List your system spec's, how you're launching it. The configuration you're using, etc...

n8

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I kind of thought so. He is selling it for 200 but I'd be able to get it for 150... but I might just look elsewhere. Thanks for the support.

Littlegator said:
I was wondering if any of you guys have some advice or help for my Crysis issue I posted some pages back.

Did you try my suggestions here yet? http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=19116690#post19116690

Also AVG can apparently cause some problems. Try to google that.

Here is how you change the resolution in Mass Effect.

2aj5lqw.jpg

Blizzard

Banned
Volcynika said:
I get an windows installer error when I try to patch Crysis to 1.2. Any help?
Error 1642?

I tried glancing over two pages of Google results, but didn't see any solution for doing it with Steam. So for anyone more knowledgeable, does this mean that not only is the Steam version stuck with the SecuROM limit that can't be revoked, and only 32-bit, but also patches won't work with it because the files are different (ala Direct2Drive)?

I haven't installed Crysis so I don't know the patch version, but there is no update news at all. Unless they did a stealth patch or included it with the initial Steam version...

*edit* Crysis isn't in that list, but that's an interesting list. Kind of interesting/sad that World of Goo doesn't have the latest patch, but at least the retail patch apparently works (presumably due to the game's lack of DRM in general). Maybe there just weren't enough changes up through patch 1.30 and 2D Boy decided not to send it to Steam.

*edit again* Thanks for the confirmation about Crysis.

Truespeed

Blizzard said:
Error 1642?

I tried glancing over two pages of Google results, but didn't see any solution for doing it with Steam. So for anyone more knowledgeable, does this mean that not only is the Steam version stuck with the SecuROM limit that can't be revoked, and only 32-bit, but also patches won't work with it because the files are different (ala Direct2Drive)?

I haven't installed Crysis so I don't know the patch version, but there is no update news at all. Unless they did a stealth patch or included it with the initial Steam version...

*edit* Crysis isn't in that list, but that's an interesting list. Kind of interesting/sad that World of Goo doesn't have the latest patch, but at least the retail patch apparently works (presumably due to the game's lack of DRM in general). Maybe there just weren't enough changes up through patch 1.30 and 2D Boy decided not to send it to Steam.

*edit again* Thanks for the confirmation about Crysis.

1642 Windows installer error. Seems it can't find the location of the game. It's probably looking into the registry for the location of the game and can't find it.

ERROR_PATCH_TARGET_
NOT_FOUND 1642 The installer cannot install the
upgrade patch because the program
being upgraded may be missing, or the
upgrade patch updates a different
version of the program. Verify that
the program to be upgraded exists on
your computer and that you have the
correct upgrade patch.

This error code is not available on
Windows Installer version 1.0.

Top Bottom