• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2009 Begins! (Dec 22nd - Jan 3rd)

HTuran

Mrbob said:
Normally they are, but sometimes publishers don't upload their patch to steam.
Wow, this is ludicrous. The main reason for me buying these games through Steam was to take all the hassle out of finding patches, and just being able to download a game and play it. Hopefully most publishers keep things up to date.

Struct09

I <3 Memes said:
I didn't see GTA 4 on that list and there is nowhere to see which version my copy is. I'm assuming GTA 4 is patched though right?

GTA4 probably updates via GFWL, which is a painless process assuming it's like other GFWL games

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Damn nothing today either. RA3 could be tempting as i haven't played a silly RTS in years, But i can't be arsed.

Where is my Dirt 2 uber deal. Maybe tomorrow will bring us 10 different deals :lol

Twig

Banned
Struct09 said:
GTA4 probably updates via GFWL, which is a painless process assuming it's like other GFWL games
Except Red Faction: Guerrilla, which is the opposite of painless.

But yeah, GFWL updates are different from game updates.

EDIT: Oh, just realized you mean it updates the game itself through GFWL. Still, you're right. It's not a big deal. Except when GFWL turns into a piece of shit, which does happen. ):

Zzoram

I <3 Memes said:
Did you try my suggestions here yet? http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=19116690#post19116690

Also AVG can apparently cause some problems. Try to google that.

Here is how you change the resolution in Mass Effect.

2aj5lqw.jpg

Thanks. Worst hidden scroll bar ever.

Zzoram

Blizzard said:
The best part was that I just used the giant machine gun most every life. I wouldn't kill people very often, but every once in a while I would run around a corner or two strategically, or after a grenade, and just empty the machine gun into their torso/head region. Occasionally that would result in some amusing comments from the dead pro players. :lol

I do hate that the screen goes white for flashbangs instead of grey or something though, it's practically blinding even with monitor brightness down, if I recall correctly. Some of the gun sounds are also really loud with earphones so I turned them down.

That's what flash bangs are supposed to do, blind you.

squinters

astigmatic
Kagari said:
Still didn't work. Game is running like a slideshow :/
Make sure you're not forcing AA through your drivers or anything, as it made my game stutter like crazy. Once I turned it off it became smooth as butter.

Twig

Banned
Zzoram said:
Right, but I think he just means it's too bright, and it's uncomfortable. Which is the right thing to do in real life, as that's the goal. But in a game?

I mean, it doesn't bother me in the slightest. But I can understand.

There is a good trick for flashbangs that most of us counter-strike old timers wont share with you. But I'm going to be nice and help out the newer players here since you are my Neogaf brothers.

Right when the flashbang goes off turn off your monitor. Give it a second then turn it back on. I guarantee that you wont have a problem with flashbangs anymore.

Won

Hmm can't decide if I should pick up RA3. Haven't gotten a new RTS out of the sales yet, but with 8,50€ it is a good bit above the "omgitsonly3,75?buybuybuy" price point. :/

I <3 Memes said:
Right when the flashbang goes off turn off your monitor. Give it a second then turn it back on. I guarantee that you wont have a problem with flashbangs anymore.

Couldn't I just leave my house for a few minutes?
Maybe read a book at the laundromat?
Run for public office?

Truespeed

I <3 Memes said:
I didn't see GTA 4 on that list and there is nowhere to see which version my copy is. I'm assuming GTA 4 is patched though right?

The social club dialog box indicates that the latest version of GTA 4 is 1.0.0.4 and since logging into GFW will patch it to the latest version you must therefore have 1.0.0.4.

Lkr

anything worth it today? never played Red Alert or a TES game
I'm considering Borderlands even though it isn't a daily deal

Volcynika

Hm. Think I'm just gonna grab C&C: Tiberium Wars and Red Alert 3. The RA3 expansion doesn't seem like it'll get a lot of playtime from me.

Lkr

biocat said:
Just wait one more day and if it isn't one of the daily deals then pick up Borderlands.
Yeah, I think I'll pick up RA3 today, even though I suck at CnC. I can just do campaign thouh

CecilRousso said:
Why do I keep looking for more games to buy, when I already have more than enough?

I'm making up for my parents not buying me an Atari 2600.

I make good money and buy whatever gaming stuff I want. I have retirement savings already growing, and I own my own house.

(and I have 200+ Atari carts sitting in a rubbermaid tote)

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I <3 Memes said:
Here is how you change the resolution in Mass Effect.
OR:

Highlight Resolution field with mouse over -> push left/right arrow to reach desired resolution.

bengraven

Minsc said:
Missing some big ones I think. Here's a better list to browse through, but there's probably still better out there.

Some notable things that pack was missing:

Morrowind FPS Optimizer
GIANTS Ultimate
Adventurers

Those three alone no one should skip, there's a good dozen others as well, but I'm having trouble recalling them now, and can't locate my saved mods atm.

Awesome call on Emp. Years and years ago I had these links but my old Pentium 4 2.0 256mbRAM machine couldn't handle a lot of things.

Time to mod it like I've never modded it before. I've literally put thousands of hours into Morrowind alone, more than half of it vanilla, that's how much I loved the game.

1-D_FTW

Wow. Outrun 2006 is turning into the biggest sack of shit game I've ever bought.

Install on XP. Change the graphics settings before I boot. Start. Load up to the start line and get a blue screen of death crash that restarts the computer because of a driver issue. I'm guessing it's an audio issue. Sega Rally Revo always blue screen crashes if I don't go in and turn off audio acceleration and change it to software. Probably a similar issue here. Too bad there's no god damn option for that. Video options are: Resolution, Do you like AA, Do you hate fog? For audio, it's volume and SFX. Gee, thanks. You really went all out on that port.

So I start on Windows 7. Download onto that. Load up. Forget to configure the resolution, so I boot at the default of 640*480 and party like it's 1995. Close Steam. Wait a second. Why can't I get into my games. I can see Steam in my taskbar, I can look at the little window and see how I can change from Store, to Games, etc. But I can't actually click on that window and have it open. Restart. Same thing. I can't get Steam to open. I open the friends toolbar. The server list tool bar. But the main Steam client I can only spy snapshots of. Clicking doesn't do anything. Outstanding shit there, Sega. Not only can't I play your game, but you've fubared Steam to a mind blowing degree.

DirtRiver

I'm glad I dodged the Osmos sale a while back, I just found out I won it on the Dew Giveaway.

2 years in a row now, last year I won Audiosurf and now Osmos. :D

Twig

Banned
MikeE21286 said:
are we gonna get Mass Effect 2 on Steam?

I don't think I can go back to playing with a controller after playing it on PC
I would wager yes.

EA's released all of their recent games on Steam. I don't see why they'd stop now.

Blizzard

Banned
Zzoram said:
Right, but I don't want that to happen in real life. Real life flashbangs might deafen you also, but I don't want deafened, I just want the game sound to go off. :p If the screen went solid black, or solid grey, or solid dark green, it would be fine with me. The complete WHITE is actually painful to the eyes especially if you're playing in the dark, though.

1-D_FTW

Grr. Was able to download a new Steam client by going into the settings and doing a beta Client. But same crap. Guess I'm going to have to delete Steam and reinstall from scratch. WTF kind of monkeys were coding that game?

Blizzard

Banned
1-D_FTW said:
Wow. Outrun 2006 is turning into the biggest sack of shit game I've ever bought.

Install on XP. Change the graphics settings before I boot. Start. Load up to the start line and get a blue screen of death crash that restarts the computer because of a driver issue. I'm guessing it's an audio issue. Sega Rally Revo always blue screen crashes if I don't go in and turn off audio acceleration and change it to software. Probably a similar issue here. Too bad there's no god damn option for that. Video options are: Resolution, Do you like AA, Do you hate fog? For audio, it's volume and SFX. Gee, thanks. You really went all out on that port.

So I start on Windows 7. Download onto that. Load up. Forget to configure the resolution, so I boot at the default of 640*480 and party like it's 1995. Close Steam. Wait a second. Why can't I get into my games. I can see Steam in my taskbar, I can look at the little window and see how I can change from Store, to Games, etc. But I can't actually click on that window and have it open. Restart. Same thing. I can't get Steam to open. I open the friends toolbar. The server list tool bar. But the main Steam client I can only spy snapshots of. Clicking doesn't do anything. Outstanding shit there, Sega. Not only can't I play your game, but you've fubared Steam to a mind blowing degree.
Are you running Windows 7 RC, or the final Windows 7 version? Try right clicking your Steam icon that's not working (like your "Friends" icon) on the task bar, and manually closing it. Then reopen it from the start tray right click menu. That happens to me occasionally on Windows 7 64-bit RC, and I have no idea why.

*edit* Sounds like your problem is something worse though. :/ If Googling the problem doesn't seem to find any solutions, you might need to reinstall, just REMEMBER TO MANUALLY BACK THE DIRECTORY UP. If you uninstall the Steam client it'll delete all your games/mods/any saves that might happen to be in the directory without even reminding you that it's happening.

One last idea, try disabling Aero and see if it works using classic Windows styles on Windows 7.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
MikeE21286 said:
are we gonna get Mass Effect 2 on Steam?

I don't think I can go back to playing with a controller after playing it on PC
After the huge success they've had with the digital distribution of Dragon Age, expect ME2 on day one.

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
Dammit, I missed the Mass Effect sale yesterday.

So, are we getting one more day of daily deals, or does the whole thing end tomorrow afternoon? I need to know if I should be buying the stuff that's on sale now before it all ends, or if there's still a chance some of the stuff will get further discounted on daily deals. :S

Wallach

BreakyBoy said:

So, are we getting one more day of daily deals, or does the whole thing end tomorrow afternoon? I need to know if I should be buying the stuff that's on sale now before it all ends, or if there's still a chance some of the stuff will get further discounted on daily deals. :S

There should be one last set tomorrow.

Volcynika

BreakyBoy said:

One more day. Check the wording on their latest news update.

Twig

Banned
Volcynika said:
One more day. Check the wording on their latest news update.
Yes.

I look forward to tomorrow when I buy all the things that have been on my waiting list.

Alternatively I hope the wording is wrong so I end up not being able to buy those games on sale.

It would be so cool if they brought back all the previous dailies in addition to a new set. It would a great way to open up the first weekend of the new year.

Chris R

TheOneGuy said:
Yes.

I look forward to tomorrow when I buy all the things that have been on my waiting list.

Alternatively I hope the wording is wrong so I end up not being able to buy those games on sale.
Same here. Most likley I'll be getting the unreal pack even though I only want ut3:black. I'll also grab Fallout3/Oblivion goty if they are on sale.

Top Bottom