• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2009 Begins! (Dec 22nd - Jan 3rd)

mandiller

rhfb said:
I want to know this too, except I'd be buying the RA3 expansion. And for those on the fence, RA3 is decent but not nearly as good as RA2. The video clips are great but the missions are lame and the forced coop is one of the worst things to hit the C&C/RA series yet I think (haven't played much C&C since TS) Dont really like how different each faction builds their base and the naval focus.

Apparently The RA3 expansion Uprising and also Kane's Wrath are standalone on steam. According to the steam forums anyway. I just went ahead and bought Kane's Wrath.

Deft Beck

Here's an (unofficial) survey posted on CAG regarding the sale.

1) What one Steam purchase you made during this sale are you the most pleased with? Why?

2) What one Steam purchase from this sale are you least pleased with? Why?

3) How much did you spend on this sale? (Estimates are fine.)

4) What will you do differently next year?

5) What game would you most like to see on Steam?

6) What would you pay for it?
Here are my responses.

1) What one Steam purchase you made during this sale are you the most pleased with? Why?
The Sam and Max Complete pack. I've been wanting to play the rest of these games for a while now.
I heard Trine has really repetitive puzzles, but I haven't played it yet.
About $30+.
Save my money for the sale. Also, wait until the last day for any non-daily deal games.
Grim Fandango
Nothing, as I already own it. :lol

Kenaras

faceless007 said:
Aside from horrible UI placement, they also fail at math. 1280x1024 isn't 4:3, it's 5:4. I like how they put "LCD" next to it as if that magically makes the numbers different.

No, it is 4:3 when used with a 1280x1024 native resolution LCD monitor. Such monitors don't have square pixels, which results in a 4:3 aspect ratio despite the 1280x1024 resolution. As a side effect, using a standard 4:3 resolution with such a monitor will result in a slightly stretched image.

(I used to have a monitor like that at work.)

Lkr

rhfb said:
I want to know this too, except I'd be buying the RA3 expansion. And for those on the fence, RA3 is decent but not nearly as good as RA2. The video clips are great but the missions are lame and the forced coop is one of the worst things to hit the C&C/RA series yet I think (haven't played much C&C since TS) Dont really like how different each faction builds their base and the naval focus.
You should play RA3 with me

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Wheeliedude said:

Here are my responses.

The Sam and Max Complete pack. I've been wanting to play the rest of these games for a while now.
About $30+.
Save my money for the sale. Also, wait until the last day for any non-daily deal games.
Grim Fandango

Interesting. When the sale's officially over. Or the last day of 1 day sales is release, i'll do this.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Wheeliedude said:

Here are my responses.

About $30+.
Grim Fandango

These answers... they just don't make sense. You're most displeased with a game that you've never played? Huh? And you'd most like to see on steam a game you already own? I look forward to more nonsensical answers! :)

Mass Effect. Because it looks gorgeous in 1680x1050 and runs amazingly.
Crysis pack. Just because I am having a bitch of a time getting it to run properly.
About $60.
Buy more perhaps

WEGGLES

Lucas Arts Adventure Pack. Fuckin 4 goddamn games for $2.50.
None
$2.50
Be more outgoing.
Half Life 3
$60

:D

kswiston

Burnout Paradise Bundle. Was considering buying the game for nearly 3-times the price on PSN. Saved myself $13.

Torchlight. Bought For myself and gifted to two people during the weekend and holiday sale. Two days later it went from 50% off to 75% off. Lost $15. Only saving grace is that the game is amazing.

$180 total. Of that, $50 was spent on my wife for the Pop Cap collection and $65 was spent on gifts to various people. I personally got about 30 games for $65. Can't beat that.

No more midweek, weekend, or easter/thanksgiving/etc sale purchases unless the games are at least 75% off, or under $5.

Baldur's gate collection (BG1, BG2, and expansions)

$25-30

Alucrid

Banned
Mass Effect because it looks so damn good, had a $5 price tag and made me realize that my computer can actually run games on high.
RF:G since I'm not sure how much I'll actually play it.
$23

Not buy games until the sales end. Dammit Torchlight, Trine and Shattered Horizon.
The Last Guardian.
60? 120? Who knows.

Big-E

Out of the titles I purchased, Killing Floor has been my most pleased with game. Absolutely amazing and I think it is more enjoyable than either Left 4 Dead. Fence sitters need to buy it. I was also pleased with Red Faction: Guerrilla. Gameplay was so so but I am happy that my money could be used to develop Freespace 3. Saints Row and Red Faction need to be put aside Volition, bring back the best genre that every dev has forgotten about.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Shattered Horizon. Fucking amazing game that came out of nowhere for me. Amazing space environments, slick controls, and a completely new FPS experience.
None? Well, I wish Max Payne 1/2 had 16:9, but that's about it.
38$ for 7 games.
Buy a PC gaming introduction package for a friend.
Heroes of Newerth.
Nothing, I own it. But I'd love to see it beating everything but CS:S and MW2 on the Steam Stats.

Firehead

id pack while it was $24 or something like that. I was going to get it during the last sale, but my card wouldn't go through.

Elf Bowling: Hawaiian Vacation. Do I really need to explain why I'm not pleased with it?

$~269
List of games:
  • Sam and Max Season One + Two Pack
  • Mass Effect
  • Foreign Legion: Buckets of Blood
  • Multiwinia + Darwinia
  • Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena
  • Shattered Horizon
  • Crysis Complete (NA)
  • Eidos Collector Pack
  • Max Payne Bundle
  • Osmos
  • Sid Meier's Civilization IV: The Complete Edition
  • Silent Hill: Homecoming
  • Killing Floor
  • Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Zombie Driver
  • Painkiller: Black Edition
  • Lumines Base + Advance Pack
  • Elf Bowling: Hawaiian Vacation
  • Oddworld Abes Oddysee and Exoddus package
  • Shadowgrounds Survivor and Shadowgrounds
  • Luxor 3
  • Cogs
  • Battlefield 2
  • King's Bounty: Armored Princess
  • Red Faction Guerrilla
  • STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl
  • Aquaria
  • Serious Sam HD (US)
  • Lucasarts Adventure Bundle
  • Super ID Software Pack
  • Indigo Prophecy
  • Evil Genius
  • Pacific Storm + Pacific Storm: Allies
  • Zombie Bowl-O-Rama
  • Outrun2006 Coast 2 Coast
  • Complete Shooter Pack
  • Trine
  • Torchlight

Be more prepared for this.

The Sims series.

$20 for The Sims pack, $30 for The Sims 2 pack and $40 for The Sims 3.

Edit: I'm running low on hard drive space. Are they coming out with 1TB 7200RPM laptop HDs any time soon?

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Before the last day tomorrow, can we get a definitive "absolutely essential" games list for this sale, not counting the one day sales that already passed? I'll be making some buys tomorrow. :D

dejan

Relix said:
Can anyone point to me WTF is Trine about? Thanks. :lol
It's basically a 2D side scroller with puzzles, lots of platforming, an underlying physics engine and Lost Vikings (3 characters with completely different skill sets). It's stunnig looking to boot.

Oh and this:
Rez said:
oh yeah, and there's a wizard that can conjure boxes that can be dropped using levitation on a skeletons head.

Doytch

Armored Princess. Was super hyped for it and it died off after people said that the stuff I hated about KB:TL was still in there. For $10, I said why not. Put in 13 hours so far and having a great time. I still really love the mechanics and combat system.

Dunno... I've gotten Mass Effect (no issues), Time Gentlemen, Samorost 2 and Braid, but I haven't played the last two. Honestly, I'm really glad with my purchases.

10+5+2.50+2.50+2.50 = 22.50

Nothing. I'm generally pretty frugal and cautious with my money, so I think I did well.

Old D&D games (BG, Planescape, Icewind Dale), old Lucasarts stuff (Grim Fandango, Full Throttle). Really, I just wish more games let you add the CD Key to Steam for patch/download management.

I'd pay $5-$10 for those.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Wtf...

I tried to run Crysis and now it gives me the following error:

"Could not write license data!
Please contact custommer support!"

WTF?

naib

I've been having the same CC declines other GAFers have been mentioning. No change to CC info, and no problems on my bank's end. Just created a ticket with Steam support.

Missed the Shattered Horizon sale, but still want to buy it. Tempted to buy it from futuremark directly for the full $20.

Dambrosi

Banned
For me, either STALKER, Mass Effect or SF4, though they were all great bargains. However, if The Witcher is a Daily Deal tomorrow, it'll be that.
Battlefield 2 Complete, because of a few blue-screen reboots (though that issue's fixed now).
Around £33 so far. Almost bound to be more tomorrow.
Save up a lot more money!
...Can I say Diablo without people taking me seriously this time? :lol If not, then Super Street Fighter 4, probably.
I dunno, about £25 - £30 new sounds right. I'd probably have the PS3 version already by then, but I wouldn't mind double-dipping for superior online.

Javaman

I've been most pleased with World in Conflict. Last night I realized that you can play the different MP modes with bots. Woohoo! In co-op mode you focus on a particular type of unit (armor, troop, air, support) It keeps things much easier to control when you don't have a bunch of different types to micromanage.

Most displeased with Red Faction Gurilla. After futzing with it and GFWL for several hours I still can't get even the menu to work, let alone the game itself. Total waste of money for me.

If were to hazard a guess, I think I've spent about $120 on the sales, a bit chunk of which was the Eidos pack. I'll add it up tomorrow after the last set of sales.

I would KILL for the X-wing and Tie-Fighter games to show up on steam. That crappy starfighter game is a letdown.

kennah

Tomorrow's For Sure List
Ghost Busters
Telltale Complete

Tomorrow's Maybe List
The Witcher
Fallout 3 GOTY (I already have it, but need the DLC)
Warhammer Dawn of War II
Dawn of War I Complete
Machinarium
World in Conflict
Sacred II
AYIM

Bought This Sale (not counting gifts sent):
Trine
Red Alert 3 + Expansion
Crysis Complete
Medieval II Total War
Shattered Horizon
Multwinia + Darwinia
Prey
Red Faction Guerilla
Battlefield 2
Torchlight
Briad
Defensie Grid

Also gifted 2 copies of L4D, 3 copies of Shattered Horizon, one copy of Torchlight, one copy of Indigo Prophecy, one copy of Trine and HL2+Ep1.

... phew. If anyone wants friend me to play any of this stuff (plus L4D) or to gift me any of my 'mabyes'
lol
my steam id is: fawku

This thread has been a blast y'all.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Kintaro said:
Before the last day tomorrow, can we get a definitive "absolutely essential" games list for this sale, not counting the one day sales that already passed? I'll be making some buys tomorrow. :D
Audiosurf, 2.49$ Buy it now!

Questsion
1/2. Killing Floor because I've played it the most. At the same time i jumped on it prior to noticing the Daily Deals. Should have waited till it was 5.
3. 45$
4. 10$ or less for Bundles, 5$ or less for single games.
5. IceWind Dale Collection
6. 10$

Blizzard

Banned
Relix said:
Wtf...

I tried to run Crysis and now it gives me the following error:

"Could not write license data!
Please contact custommer support!"

WTF?
"now"? Did you install any patches or mods, and did it work in the past? Also, is this a new Crysis purchase, i.e. first-time Steam installation?

Lkr

Ok, after playing RA3 demo it seems fun. However, I can't beat the demo level on medium, so I'm going to have to buy it and play on Easy at first:lol

Too bad, Borderlands

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Blizzard said:
"now"? Did you install any patches or mods, and did it work in the past? Also, is this a new Crysis purchase, i.e. first-time Steam installation?

It worked in the past, and it's a first time Steam installation. I installed the MSTEIR mod but it worked perfectly the two times I played it afterward. Now it doesn't want to. I followed some instructions online that EA recommended but it didn't work.

Smash88

Banned
naib said:
I've been having the same CC declines other GAFers have been mentioning. No change to CC info, and no problems on my bank's end. Just created a ticket with Steam support.

Missed the Shattered Horizon sale, but still want to buy it. Tempted to buy it from futuremark directly for the full $20.

I wouldn't pay the full $20. $4.99 or $9.99 are better. Hell even $14.99 is good. The game isn't that greatly optimized, there aren't that many people playing. Although, now there are since the sale, but you might see that fall off after a month. When I played before anyone downloaded it, there were two full servers. Take that for what you will. Gameplay-wise, it is i great, and very unique.

Zapages said:
I can't believe I missed SF IV for 10 dollars. :(

Didn't SF IV go for $5? Ouch. :lol

Slavik81

rhfb said:
I thought the cut scenes were atrocious. All the women are dressed like hookers, there was very little action and the dialog was... bad even by game FMV standards.

On the other hand, the gameplay was awesome, particularly the naval emphasis. Though, admittedly, I didn't care much for the coop.

It seems we had almost perfectly diametric opinions about it...

Shattered Horizon. I've always wanted to know what the Battle Room from Ender's Game was like, but I wasn't really sold on a multiplayer-only game. $5 does a lot of selling, though.

Max Payne. The games are great, the problem was that I'm a moron and I accidentally bought Max Payne 1 instead of the bundle. I only had to pay about a dollar more for my mistake, but the embarrassment burns no less fiercely.

Around $30, but that isn't counting the games I've been planning to buy but waiting until the last day in case they're part of a daily sale.

Check the bundles more closely :lol

X-Wing, or TIE Fighter, or X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter, or X-Wing Alliance. Or all of them.

Whatever you ask.

Deft Beck

commish said:
These answers... they just don't make sense. You're most displeased with a game that you've never played? Huh? And you'd most like to see on steam a game you already own? I look forward to more nonsensical answers! :)

To be honest, I kinda rushed my answers.

DJ_Lae

Interesting.

Outrun 2006: Coast 2 Coast, probably. I'd say Dragon Age but it was gifted to me - and I'm still surprised my computer can run it at full 1080p with everything on high and have it still playable. But $3 for Outrun? Absolute steal. I also really enjoyed Cogs.
Serious Sam HD. It doesn't really update as much from the original as I had hoped...just makes it prettier.
$70 or so, I think.
Wait until the last day before buying any non-daily-deals. Thankfully Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 hasn't popped up yet.
Planescape Torment.
Ten bucks.

Chris R

Slavik81 said:
I thought the cut scenes were atrocious. All the women are dressed like hookers, there was very little action and the dialog was... bad even by game FMV standards.

On the other hand, the gameplay was awesome, particularly the naval emphasis. Though, admittedly, I didn't care much for the coop.

It seems we had almost perfectly diametric opinions about it...
The RA series has always had an element of camp about it, and I thought the videos for RA3 fit right in. I never really cared for the naval bits in the previous games, and wouldn't have minded it in this game except for the fact that several missions forced you to use the naval stuff heavily.

Kodiak said:
I played all the way through crysis and it was fun yes, but not great. And it sure as hell doesn't make you feel like a badass considering the badass suit you wear.

the main reason is how the powers are handled, the opening CG made it seem like the core of the gameplay, and when you're actually playing that's far from the case.

They all feel like they run out too fast or aren't powerful enough, especially because the look of the suit makes you feel so BA. They shouldn't have even bothered with the nano suit.

I actually felt much more like a bad ass in Far Cry simply because Jack was an every day man and it really made you stop and think before you enter a scenario, and if you play Crysis like that, rather than relying on your dumb powers, it becomes fun.

The powers could have been really cool and were implemented really poorly, but the sandbox farcry nature of the levels makes up for it mostly, if you ignore the horrendous story, stupid antigrav levels, and ultra lame vehicle level and final boss.

I think the powers are balanced pretty well actually, and I love the quick radial menu to select them. It's very seamless switching back and forth. Difficulty at normal is good for a first playthrough too. And you can't just run in guns blazing and rely on your powers all the time. I played the Far Cry demo ages ago, but it didn't really hook me like Crysis.

Going to pick up the LucasArts Adventure Pack, a steal at $2.50. Why doesn't Steam have the first Broken Sword, btw (it has it's two sequels)?

Baha

Planning on picking up GRAW and vegas 2 tomorrow regardless, does anybody who owns either on steam know if the netcode for co-op is good?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Kodiak said:
I played all the way through crysis and it was fun yes, but not great. And it sure as hell doesn't make you feel like a badass considering the badass suit you wear.

the main reason is how the powers are handled, the opening CG made it seem like the core of the gameplay, and when you're actually playing that's far from the case.

They all feel like they run out too fast or aren't powerful enough, especially because the look of the suit makes you feel so BA. They shouldn't have even bothered with the nano suit.

I actually felt much more like a bad ass in Far Cry simply because Jack was an every day man and it really made you stop and think before you enter a scenario, and if you play Crysis like that, rather than relying on your dumb powers, it becomes fun.

The powers could have been really cool and were implemented really poorly, but the sandbox farcry nature of the levels makes up for it mostly, if you ignore the horrendous story, stupid antigrav levels, and ultra lame vehicle level and final boss.

I totally disagree. I thought the powers were awesome and really made the game a lot of fun. I have to admit I abused the stealth powers a bit too much, but damn if it wasn't fun to go stealth right behind a group of enemies and blow them away before they knew what was going on. It was also a ton of fun to grab big objects with the strength power and toss them at enemies or just grabbing enemies and throwing them hundreds of yards away off a cliff. I was constantly switching up powers as I played through the game and found them to be really fun.

The story was horrendous? It definitely wasn't anything special, but what exactly made it horrendous?

I do agree that the antigrav levels and the final boss were pretty lame, though. It also ended on a bit of a cliffhanger. Did they ever finish up the story in Crysis Wars? I haven't played through all of it.

_leech_ said:
Going to pick up the LucasArts Adventure Pack, a steal at $2.50. Why doesn't Steam have the first Broken Sword, btw (it has it's two sequels)?

It will be up there eventually. Apparently it's the Directors Cut that will be going on there, which technically hasn't even been announced for PC. It should be up within the next few months I'd imagine though.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
TheFatOne said:
There is only one more day of daily deals?

Yep, tomorrow is it.

Of course it's Steam so there will be the midweek sales, weekend sales and other random deals they always do.

Top Bottom