• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2009 Begins! (Dec 22nd - Jan 3rd)

1-D_FTW

Blizzard said:
Are you running Windows 7 RC, or the final Windows 7 version? Try right clicking your Steam icon that's not working (like your "Friends" icon) on the task bar, and manually closing it. Then reopen it from the start tray right click menu. That happens to me occasionally on Windows 7 64-bit RC, and I have no idea why.

I don't use 7 that often. Apparently it sent it onto the second desktop (which isn't visible on the one monitor I'm using.) Weird.

As for the actual game, I'm guessing XP was trying to tell me it sucked. Glad I only wasted 2.50 on it. It's a one and done for me. I can't believe there are so many posters here who rave about the game.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
dakilla13 said:
What does your system look like? When my computer does that in Crysis Warhead, the hard drive is spinning trying to catch up to the rest of the system, since it is old and slow.

You know that could be it...

I am lacking RAM (only 2 gigs) and the HDD is 85% full (only 20GB out of 400GB Remain) so it could be an issue... that plus need of a good defrag.

I <3 Memes said:
Here is how you change the resolution in Mass Effect.

2aj5lqw.jpg
Aside from horrible UI placement, they also fail at math. 1280x1024 isn't 4:3, it's 5:4. I like how they put "LCD" next to it as if that magically makes the numbers different.

3rdman

Damn...I broke down and decided to pick up Morrowind and my card is declined. I have no idea why though as there are plenty of funds available. Is this just me or is Steam having issues at the moment charging cards?

Rur0ni

3rdman said:
Damn...I broke down and decided to pick up Morrowind and my card is declined. I have no idea why though as there are plenty of funds available. Is this just me or is Steam having issues at the moment charging cards?
Seems to be the case. Try PayPal. :)

Dunlop

Starting with trine that I picked up today, I hereby decree to not try any new purchases until I beat my backlog.

It's getting silly currently L4D-->Dragon Age-->Torchlight-->Crysis..with STALKER that I might play one day.

Crysis is fucking amazing

bengraven

Secretly hoping tomorrow there are 10+ sales on the front page this time. Kind of a "thanks for checking in every day" special.

Kritz

Banned
I am just thankful that for most of this week, all the games that have been on sale have been games I already own, or don't give a shit about. This way I still have money for all of the Q1 2010 games. :D

Twig

Banned
Tomorrow they will give us one free game five bucks or less.

And every game will be on sale for five bucks or less.

Calling it now.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
bengraven said:
Secretly hoping tomorrow there are 10+ sales on the front page this time. Kind of a "thanks for checking in every day" special.
Thanks for giving us hundreds...now give us a hundred more ^_^

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
Team Vernia said:
Word. That game makes you feel like a badass.

I played all the way through crysis and it was fun yes, but not great. And it sure as hell doesn't make you feel like a badass considering the badass suit you wear.

the main reason is how the powers are handled, the opening CG made it seem like the core of the gameplay, and when you're actually playing that's far from the case.

They all feel like they run out too fast or aren't powerful enough, especially because the look of the suit makes you feel so BA. They shouldn't have even bothered with the nano suit.

I actually felt much more like a bad ass in Far Cry simply because Jack was an every day man and it really made you stop and think before you enter a scenario, and if you play Crysis like that, rather than relying on your dumb powers, it becomes fun.

The powers could have been really cool and were implemented really poorly, but the sandbox farcry nature of the levels makes up for it mostly, if you ignore the horrendous story, stupid antigrav levels, and ultra lame vehicle level and final boss.

Smash88

Banned
TheOneGuy said:

Calling it now.

I doubt it, they didn't do that last year and they won't this year. If anything it would be the worst game ever and would have to be under $2.

They wantz our moniez!

Twig

Banned
Smash88: Yeah dude it was a joke. ):

Kodiak: Really 'cause I love using the powers. They make me feel like a badass!

bengraven

TheOneGuy said:

Calling it now.

My wife is already going to kill me when she looks at the bank statement.

Well, I returned a game I got for Christmas twice, and asked them to put the money on my debit card. They take the game, keep the money, and I have no way to get Morrowind. :<

Slavik81

Dunlop said:
Crysis is fucking amazing
Just be sure to play on "easy". I'd played FarCry through on hard and loved it, but the super-suit in Crysis doesn't feel very super unless you have the difficulty way down.

Ogs said:
Not sure if its been mentioned but C&C3/Kane's Wrath/RA3 Uprising are also on sale, £5.09 in the UK (have they always since the sale started ?).
Awesome. They too are apparently part of the daily deals. Though why they only advertise RA3 on the front page is beyond me...

And by 'awesome', I mean, 'damn you! That's another 3 games in my backlog and $25 gone...'

Durante

Lkr said:
so RA3 is good for $10? I'm not a big CnC fan, but this is making me really consider RA3
It's great in co-op, average in single player. But if you're a fan of RA gameplay and/or cheesy live acting it's still worth it at that price for SP.

Lkr

There are two RTS games I enjoy, and Command and Conquer series isn't one of them, which is why I'm hesitant on Red Alert 3 :(

Slavik81

Lkr said:
so RA3 is good for $10? I'm not a big CnC fan, but this is making me really consider RA3
The story is dramatically worse than the previous Red Alerts, but I liked the gameplay.
Any game that lets you launch bears at your opponent gets a passing grade in my book.

The graphics are probably its real shining star. The game looks fantastic.

Slavik81 said:
And by 'awesome', I mean, 'damn you! That's another 3 games in my backlog and $25 gone...'

Yup same :lol Also a reason to get away from the EA Store which i originally got them from, god i hate that thing, i was actually blocked out of C&C3/KW for over a year when they changed there login systems and my account got fucked somehow.

Lkr said:

Deffinately. Try and go through it with a buddy first time so you can piss yourselves at the stupid shit that happens in the game :lol Cant speak for proper MP games (i pretty much only do comp stomping with my mates, which is same old fun).

Lkr

Slavik81 said:
The story is dramatically worse than the previous Red Alerts, but I liked the gameplay.
Any game that lets you launch bears at your opponent gets a passing grade in my book.

The graphics are probably its real shining star. The game looks fantastic.
I've never played another Red Alert, so I have no basis for a 'good Red Alert' anyway.

I'm downloading the demo right now

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Lkr said:
I've never played another Red Alert, so I have no basis for a 'good Red Alert' anyway.

I'm downloading the demo right now
After Ground Control, I couldn't play non-squad based games anymore.
I fear for my love to Starcraft 2 because of that :(

Twig

Banned
Last night I started playing Mass Effect and it worked perfectly fine.

Tonight I picked it back up and it just crashed on me twice in a row, after I played for about three minutes each time. (Once I got past the main menu.)

I'm able to time it so precisely because I'm at the part in the beginning where you have to
defuse bombs
(lol spoilarz lol).

WHAT GIVES?! )':

Wallach

TheOneGuy said:
Last night I started playing Mass Effect and it worked perfectly fine.

Tonight I picked it back up and it just crashed on me twice in a row, after I played for about three minutes each time. (Once I got past the main menu.)

I'm able to time it so precisely because I'm at the part in the beginning where you have to
defuse bombs
(lol spoilarz lol).

WHAT GIVES?! )':

Any changes? They just CTDs or are they throwing an error?

Twig

Banned
It freezes with a sound loop, and I have to ctrl+alt+del it and close it with the task manager.

I didn't make any changes myself.

...Actually, last night fraps wasn't working in ME. Tonight it is. So that's A change. But I'm not recording video or anything. I am taking screenshots, but not when it crashes. That is, not at the moment it crashes.

Lkr

Ogs said:
Deffinately. Try and go through it with a buddy first time so you can piss yourselves at the stupid shit that happens in the game :lol Cant speak for proper MP games (i pretty much only do comp stomping with my mates, which is same old fun).
Would you play with me? I have no friends that play it :(

Bought Trine. Tomorrow I only want to get The Witcher (better be a daily deal), Splinter Cell: Chaos theory, and the Lucasarts Adventure Pack.

Steam is sucking my very soul out. Too strong... :lol

I always hear such good things about Painkiller, but wow, those are some terrible metascores for resurrection and overdose. Does all that praise apply to the first game only?

Also, does anyone know if Rainbow Six Vegas 2 has a decent online community on PC? I liked the first one on 360 and at $5 it's pretty close to an impulse buy.

Also, just wishful thinking, but if they really wanted all my money, it would be great if on the last day they had all the old daily sales in effect. There were games I would have bought but didn't because they were early in the sale and I was afraid I'd use up my budget too early and miss out on the last days of the deal.

Volcynika

BuddhaRockstar said:
I always hear such good things about Painkiller, but wow, those are some terrible metascores for resurrection and overdose. Does all that praise apply to the first game only?

Also, does anyone know if Rainbow Six Vegas 2 has a decent online community on PC? I liked the first one on 360 and at $5 it's pretty close to an impulse buy.

Also, just wishful thinking, but if they really wanted all my money, it would be great if on the last day they had all the old daily sales in effect. There were games I would have bought but didn't because they were early in the sale and I was afraid I'd use up my budget too early and miss out on the last days of the deal.

First game of Painkiller is People Can Fly as the dev (or something) and it was good. Expansion and later game weren't by the same people, and came outhnot as good.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Forgive me Lord, for I am currently downloading Red Alert 3.

I see thou hast punished me with sub-200 KB/s from every server in the world.
Des0lar said:
After Ground Control, I couldn't play non-squad based games anymore.
I fear for my love to Starcraft 2 because of that :(
Dawn Of War mang. You got it? You need it.

mandiller

Ogs said:
Not sure if its been mentioned but C&C3/Kane's Wrath/RA3 Uprising are also on sale, £5.09 in the UK (have they always since the sale started ?).

I have the retail version of C&C3. Does Kane's Wrath stand on it's own, I'd love to buy it cheap through steam. But it's not going to work with my retail copy right?

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
BuddhaRockstar said:

I got it cheap on impulse buy. Bad port, terrible.. netcode? Fuck, no, don't get the PC Version.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Relix said:
Can anyone point to me WTF is Trine about? Thanks. :lol
it's a side-scrolling platformer/puzzle game that features three playable characters, all of which are switchable on the fly, and all of which can be leveled up as the game goes on. super fun, super pretty and super unique.

it also has a cool co-op mode, which I think is local only, that allows three people to play as the three characters simultaneously.

buy it, basically.

oh yeah, and there's a wizard that can conjure boxes that can be dropped using levitation on a skeletons head.

Relix said:
Can anyone point to me WTF is Trine about? Thanks. :lol

Try the demo, it's on Steam. Basically a 2d platformer where you switch between a warrior, wizard, and rogue each with unique abilities to fight enemies and overcome obstacles.

Doytch

What Rez said. I put off buying it over and over again, eventually caving for $10 during Black Friday sales. Played it over the course of two marathon sessions a week ago. Really, really great game.

Chris R

mandiller said:
I have the retail version of C&C3. Does Kane's Wrath stand on it's own, I'd love to buy it cheap through steam. But it's not going to work with my retail copy right?
I want to know this too, except I'd be buying the RA3 expansion. And for those on the fence, RA3 is decent but not nearly as good as RA2. The video clips are great but the missions are lame and the forced coop is one of the worst things to hit the C&C/RA series yet I think (haven't played much C&C since TS) Dont really like how different each faction builds their base and the naval focus.

Top Bottom