• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2009 Begins! (Dec 22nd - Jan 3rd)

hamchan

Visualante said:
How many of the few- $2 games do I not already own or want to play? Not a lot.

You owning the games does not suddenly make them not cheap. So many things are "OMG BUY NOW!" if you don't own the games yet. Obviously if you own everything then the sale will be disappointing.

Day 1 Wallet Damage:

Grand Theft Auto IV (US/AU) - 7.49 USD
Dawn of Discovery - 24.99 USD
Time Gentlemen, Please! - 2.49 USD
Machinarium - 9.99 USD
Indigo Prophecy - 3.39 USD
Wallace and Gromit's Grand Adventures - 10.19 USD
Railroad Tycoon Collection - 16.74 USD

Total: 75.28 USD

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Trine
The Void
Eidos Pack
Shadowgrounds
Kings Bounty Complete

FUCK ME IN THE ASS STEAM

I want to buy Mass Errect 2 in january...

randomwab

Anyone know an easier way of viewing everything that's on sale? I mean, the frontpage says there is over 200 action games on sale, but I can only view about 100.

hamchan said:
You owning the games does not suddenly make them not cheap. So many things are "OMG BUY NOW!" if you don't own the games yet. Obviously if you own everything then the sale will be disappointing.
You misunderstand my point. The $2 games were already cheap enough for me to buy at full price. The saying "worth it at full price" pops up in many threads for PC games.

Thing is. I expect the sale to discount the expensive games that I can't afford right now. The ones that are still full price that I've been holding out on. And there's not that many of them discounted. I'm not going to lose my shit over some minor savings and publisher collections like some people.

So far, last year's and the mini pre-sale was better. I can only hope that the next few days improve by a wide margin. I really dislike this format of spreading the sale out over days. I hope it is purely to spread the servers bandwodtj more evenly.

I don't know where to start...

BTW, has enough praise been heaped on Defense Grid? Really, you all should play it. Like, first. before anything else you buy.

Lumine

danielijohnson said:
Gosh this question pisses me off.

If you are even remotely interested, why are you asking if the game is worth it at TWO DOLLARS????!!! At what price would it have to be for you just to try it out?!?!

BTW: It's worth it at $50.

No need to get personal about it. I know it's just $2, but I've already bought too many games on a whim which ended up being played no more than 10 mins. Most people would probably argue that almost any game released in the past few years is worth $2, but that would be no indication for me that it's a good game that I actually want to play rather than something to just add to my collection or whatever. However saying that the game would still be worth it at $50 is a great argument and coupled with the other responses has convinced me. Bought. :)

I'm brand new to Steam and I haven't even got a real gaming computer (MacBook Pro/Bootcamp) but damn, this is so impressive. A person could go from an empty hard drive to a pretty sweet game collection for a hundred clams. It's making me look slightly askance at my PS3.

jax (old)

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
lucasarts adventure pack (loom, the dig, indiana jones and the last crusade, indiana jones and the fates of atlantis) 2.49

king's quest I-VI 4.99

mirror's edge 4.99

space quest collection 4.99

the witcher 13.59

trine 7.99

unreal pack 13.59

x-com 1+2

That's what I'm keen on. Can't seem to find king's ques and spact quest on there at all.

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
Every time I remove a game from my purchase list, I find two more I want to add. I think I have settled on my final purchase list, which is way more money than I intended to spend. I am just going to have to make sure to stay off the Steam store until this is over (with the exception of any good daily sales).

Tropico 3
Dawn of Discovery
Red Faction Guerrilla
RollerCoaster Tycoon 3: Platinum
Star Wars Jedi Knight Collection
Machinarium
Luxor 3
Sanirist2
Osmos
Eufloria
Crayon Physics Deluxe
The Void
Aquaria

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I don't assume GAF has a Valve mole that can tell us a head of time what the next sale will be when the current one runs out do we?

Anyways I now have Trine at $10 which is sooo much better than the $30 it originally released at on the PC earlier in the year.

I was thinking about the Monkey Island remake for $5. What say you GAF on this one?

The unreal pack is nice, but to bad nobody hardly places UT3! lol :lol

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Dynoro said:
I may be wrong; but I think when paying by Paypal you need enough funds to cover the pre-sale price (though you don't pay that) to be able to purchase

That is so stupid, but thanks for the answer. Would explain why my AU$10 isn't good enought for US$1.99 games.

Minsc

Gold Member
Visualante said:
You misunderstand my point. The $2 games were already cheap enough for me to buy at full price. The saying "worth it at full price" pops up in many threads for PC games.

Thing is. I expect the sale to discount the expensive games that I can't afford right now. The ones that are still full price that I've been holding out on. And there's not that many of them discounted. I'm not going to lose my shit over some minor savings and publisher collections like some people.

So far, last year's and the mini pre-sale was better. I can only hope that the next few days improve by a wide margin. I really dislike this format of spreading the sale out over days. I hope it is purely to spread the servers bandwodtj more evenly.

I figured it was just to get people to come back time and time again, more visits = more sales.

I am hoping the limited time offers have some really enticing things over the next week or two, that's where I'm bound to lose a lot of money, full priced games which were previously $40+, on sale for over 75% off.

Rahk

gregor7777 said:
I don't know where to start...

BTW, has enough praise been heaped on Defense Grid? Really, you all should play it. Like, first. before anything else you buy.
If you like tower defense games.

I bought it during a sale a while back. Played it enough to get my money's worth, but discovered I'm not really a fan of the genre. It is well made and I can see the appeal though.

tabsina

Jax said:
That's what I'm keen on. Can't seem to find king's ques and spact quest on there at all.

if you are from australia.. for some bizarre reason they both seem to be missing (also seems to be the case for roller coaster tycoon 3, and valve complete pack - due to the inclusion of L4D2.. those are the only ones i've found missing so far)

bengraven

Archie said:
Wait a few days. I got it for $7.50 on a weekend deal.

Yeah, I've decided not to buy anything for more than $10. Especially since this is how Steam got me on Black Friday. I bought quite a bit of the deals, then the next day there was a new set of deals that also destroyed me.

Brashnir

Brettison said:
I was thinking about the Monkey Island remake for $5. What say you GAF on this one?

It's Monkey Island with new graphics. It (amazingly) runs like garbage on low-end laptops and netbooks. If you liked Monkey Island before, you'll still like it.

Rahk

How does Clear Sky compare to STALKER? Is it an improvement? I played a fair bit of STALKER, but never ended up finishing it.

jax (old)

Banned
tabsina said:
if you are from australia.. for some bizarre reason they both seem to be missing (also seems to be the case for roller coaster tycoon 3, and valve complete pack - due to the inclusion of L4D2.. those are the only ones i've found missing so far)

wtf?

I really want KQ+SQ. played them growing up and would love to buy those. :'(

eznark said:
Best relatively obscure game for $5 and under?

(I already have all the top 20 that I want)
Does Culpa Innata or whatever the hell it's called count? Only me and some other dude has mentioned it in this thread at least. Had never heard of it before stumbling upon it. Halfway successful talky adventure game with ugly graphics from what I've gathered. 2007 release. Maybe more obscure than good though, who knows.

Oh but you said $. It's €4.99, don't know how that translates in Steam world.

bengraven

Damn Bethesda for only having 25% off.

I would rebuy Morrowind for the third time (once on PC, once on Xbox) for the GOTY edition less than $10.

And Call of Cthulu, as well.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Damn so many and so little money, arggg. anyway i am interested in The void, The witcher, Torchlight (maybe) and some other titles. Hopefully i see mass effect 1 sale for 5 bucks.

migulic

I kept it cheap for now, only got the Ben There, Dan That/Time Gentlemen Please double pack for €1.99 and the LucasArts Adventure Pack for €2.24.

Now I only have €13 left on my PayPal account (and I can't add any more at this moment). So what should I get: Europa Universalis III Complete, Machinarium or The Longest Journey? (I'm looking for experiences I can't get on consoles).

Scipius

Rahk said:
How does Clear Sky compare to STALKER? Is it an improvement? I played a fair bit of STALKER, but never ended up finishing it.

In my opinion, well, but CS has got a bad reputation. It has a newer version of the same engine, meaning that graphically it has improved (SSAO, sunshafts, etc.). In terms of gameplay it was more of a hit and miss situation. Some good new elements (artifact locations, the detector, reparable weapons and armour, regular emissions) were coupled with some elements that were not implemented as successfully as everyone had hoped. The factions system works, but it can be a bit of a chore sometimes. Incidental dialogue is now in ridiculous English. You will not believe how accurate the AI is with grenades. The ending was a disappointment, but then, that goes for most games these days.

All in all though, it is still more STALKER. The overall atmosphere is the same. Though it doesn't contain any real new underground sections, it does have some very nice new above ground areas. The swamp where you start of is worth the 5 currency units alone, IMO.

ZZMitch

Goddamn I can't wait unti christmas where I am getting windows 7 to install on my mac... so many games to be bought.

Mazre

Nabbed

Defense Grid
Indigo Prophecy
Lucasarts Adventure Pack
Jedi Knight Pack

Total Damage:
< $20

<3 Steam

On the fence on some of the old PoP titles, anyone have any insight to how they run on PC and are they easy to set up a controller (say a 360 pad) with? Thanks and happy deal hunting all.

Ceebs

Everyone that enjoys adventure games even the slightest bit should buy Time Gentlemen, Please. It's fantastic and as cheap as a cup of coffee.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
When will the "How big is your Steam folder?"-thread be made?

EDIT: (And since my curiousity got the best of me I had to check: 76GB.)

kinoki said:
When will the "How big is your Steam folder?"-thread be made?

After the sale ends...I swear I'll make it :p

Edit: The last time I installed every game on my Steam account to my hard drive, it was close to 400GB of data. I downloaded all that in like 2-3 weeks and I doubt that my ISP was very happy about that :p

STALKER
STALKER: Clear Sky
LucasArts Adventure Pack
KOTOR1
Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith
Indigo Prophecy
Deux Ex:GOTY Edition
Torchlight
King's Quest Collection
Space Quest Collection

I hate you, GAF.

It's a strange world when you think €2 is too much. But it adds up. Removed Outrun, the Oddworld Pack and the Lucasarts Pack from my cart. I would never play those games. Just like I'll never play The Path, Overlord, Torchlight, Osmos and all the other cheapo games I had a passing interest in and bought on an impulse primarily because of the price. Plants vs Zombies is one of the few gambles I feel paid off.

I wish you could gift purchased games.

Stitch

Gold Member
what the hell, you can't change the resolution in Zombie Bowl-O-Rama
it's looks like I'm playing a wii game

edit: alright, i guess I'm gonna play this in windowed mode

Top Bottom