• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2009 Begins! (Dec 22nd - Jan 3rd)

Steeven

Splintercell: Chaos Theory
Defense Grid: The Awakening
Mirror's Edge
Grand Theft Auto IV (EU)
Evil Genius
Europa Universalis: Rome - Gold Edition
Rome: Total War Gold
Beyond Good and Evil
Oddworld Abes Oddysee and Exoddus package
Deus Ex: Game of the Year Edition
Rainbow Six Vegas 2
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Clear Sky (EU)
Hitman Collection
Commandos: Beyond the Call of Duty
Commandos: Behind Enemy Lines
Geometry Wars
Dawn of War Platinum Edition

Total
88,68 EUR

Takeda Kenshi

blew Staal
I really hope Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines goes on sale, missed it the last time around. :/

Not sure if it was mentioned, seems as if the 'Telltale Everything Pack' is now 99.99.

DirtRiver said:
Some would say their problem with this deals is that they don't have the money.

I say I don't have the HD space. Fuck.
hdds are pretty darn cheap.

But that doesn't really matter anyway . . . you could just delete games from the local hdd when you are done and then download the next. Let Steam be your storage.

How are the mods for Grand Theft Auto 4?

I saw there are ones that fix car handling, but are there others that let you quick save, remove all the cellphone buddy crap, etc.? might be worth $8 if they fix all that stuff.

fatty

So after Black Friday I was thinking I was pretty set on games for the year, Torchlight and Trine were ones that I really wanted to get on sale and was able to through Steam’s sales. But after reading through this thread I now am looking at:

The Void - $10
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - $2 (self reminder to get the 2009 Complete Mod for STALKER http://www.moddb.com/mods/stalker-complete-2009/downloads/stalker-complete-2009-14-exe-installer)
The Witcher $13.59
Trials 2 - $4.99 (Still haven’t played the original)
Medieval Total War $4.99
Shadowgrounds Pack $3.99
Aquaria - $9.99
Machinarium -$9.99 (self reminder that Machinarium is available for the same price with the soundtrack and Samarost 2 from the developers)
Lucasarts adventures for $2.50
Sniper Elite - $1.99
Evil Genius - $1.99
Broken Sword: Twin Pack (couldn’t find twin pack on Steam)
Zeno Clash - $7.49
And Yet It Moves - $4.99
Ben There, Dan That/Time Gentlemen Please - $2.49

Then I realized that I had already purchased Aquaria and And Yet It Moves from Direct2Drive when they had the Indie Pack #2 on sale (Aquaria, I-Fluid, And Yet It Moves, Acceleration of Suguri , Aaaaa! And Crayon Physics Deluxe for $24.99). Doh! And I still haven’t gotten around to playing them yet.

I think I’ll wait until I can get a retail copy of The Witcher since there is a no cd patch. But I need some advice on a few games.

I’ve seen a couple of recommendations for The Void but no one really saying why they liked it. Any more thoughts would be appreciated.

I’m also still really torn on Shadowgrounds, Time Gentlemen Please, Zeno Clash, Broken Sword and Evil Genious as I haven’t heard much about them except in this thread.

And can someone provide the link to the Broken Sword twin pack, I'm only seeing the individual games?

Cowie

Linkzg said:
How are the mods for Grand Theft Auto 4?

I saw there are ones that fix car handling, but are there others that let you quick save, remove all the cellphone buddy crap, etc.? might be worth $8 if they fix all that stuff.

Modders are sissies >:|

dakilla13

Dark Messiah is awesome, totally underrated. I had a lot of fun with it and for 5$ you can't really go wrong. Gothic 3 depends on whether the community patches are included or not. The game was incredibly buggy for atleast a year after release before the community fixed it. I'm considering G3 as well, was hoping for 5$ though. :/

Lothars

K.Jack said:
Oblivion is marked down ($26.24), and is in the discounted Elder Scrolls Pack ($33.74)

I am hoping for an even bigger discount for oblivion but if not than I probably will pick it up by the end of the sale.

Althane

Think I'll get:

Rome: Total War
Audiosurf
Dark Messiah of Might and Magic

For now. Most of what I want I already bought with other 75% off sales....

I'll check out what else comes up on the daily sales (for those on the fence, STALKER is totally worth $2!).

Ceebs

fatty said:
I’m also still really torn on Shadowgrounds, Time Gentlemen Please, Zeno Clash, Broken Sword and Evil Genious as I haven’t heard much about them except in this thread.

Time Gentlemen Please is the best adventure game I have played in years that does not feature monkeys and pirates. It's your basic 2D lo-fi adventure with a raunchy sense of humor and some clever puzzles. I really can not recommend it enough if you like the classics of the genre and have a bit of a deviant sense of humor.

Caoz

I'm thinking of letting GTA IV go and wait for a deal on Dead Space for less than $10. Outrun 2006 and shadowgrounds pack are probably a go for 6.48.

fresquito

I was getting the Adventure Pack, but I don't think I could play those games as they look in the screens. Are they somehow optimised or they look that bad?

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
How is Dawn of War 2 for someone who rarely plays RTS? The art style is appealing to me, though the $20 is a lot compared to other games I could get.

Mrbob

Ermac said:
How is Dawn of War 2 for someone who rarely plays RTS? The art style is appealing to me, though the $20 is a lot compared to other games I could get.

It's not a true RTS. It is an action strategy game with lewt finding and character level building added in. You choose four different units to bring into battle before you hit a mission, and you outfit them to how you see fit. You can play the campaign online co op. It is also 2009 GOTY, so pick it up.

fresquito said:
I was getting the Adventure Pack, but I don't think I could play those games as they look in the screens. Are they somehow optimised or they look that bad?

Don't judge any game based on the screens on steams website. The are a horribly compressed mess. Just check out steams screenshots for a game that you already know looks great and you will see how bad they are.

Xapati

Since some people were asking for the Void impressions I'll give them to you. Many people have said the game is very hard, so before I started, I read thisFAQ. And installed the "easy mode" mod which the FAQ links to.

Anyway, I've played for about an hour, and it's difficult to describe the game. If I had to assign it to a genre, it seems to be an adventure game in fps perspective. You travel "the void", which is a sea with islands in it. You collect color, and you are constantly processing this collected color in your hearts. This processed color is then available to you as a resource to attack enemies, travel the world, grow treas which produce more color. You do these tasks by drawing glyphs with your available color. What you're supposed to do exactly in the game is unclear, but it seems this is done on purpose; figuring out what you should do is part of the game.

Considering I've only played one hour I'm probably not in a position to recommend it yet. That being said, so far I've enjoyed the Void, it doesn't draw you in like more mainstream titles do, it's to be enjoyed like fine wine: over a period of time and in small sips.

Ceebs

Mrbob said:
It's not a true RTS. It is an action strategy game with lewt finding and character level building added in. You choose four different units to bring into battle before you hit a mission, and you outfit them to how you see fit. It is also 2009 GOTY, so pick it up.
There is also a single player demo on Steam if you are on the fence.

PS. The game is awesome.

Thomper

Any friendly GAF-person willing to gift me the Prince of Persia pack that's available in the US for 22 dollars? I'll Paypal you back the money. For some reason, the pack isn't available in Europe. I can offer you a copy Half-Life 2: Episode 1 as bonus-gift, should you be part of the 1% that still doesn't have that game. :lol

A lot of people are gonna be disappointed by Stalker.

A warning: IT STARTS SLOOOOW. Stick with it.

Also, get the Complete Mod if you're computer can run it.

JiliK

Got the King's Quest and Space Quest collections, the LucasArts pack and Indigo Prophecy, all for €10.27. Damn.

Lkr

im debating between Mirrors Edge and GTA IV. I have GTA IV on 360, however my disc is fucked up. On the other hand, I hear the PC version is a clunky port at best. I've never played Mirrors Edge. GAH decisions

Antagon

Bought the Eidos pack. Batman AA, Two Tomb Raiders, Thief Deadly Shadows, Deus ex / Deus ex IW, the hitman games, mini ninjas and some more for 46 euros was a bit too good to pass up, especially since I actually didn't own any of them yet.

Xapati

Ermac said:

Dawn of War 2 is great. For 20$ I can recommend it for the single player alone. And don't worry about being new to the genre, in the campaign you never control more then 4-5 units.

Ceebs

Lkr said:
im debating between Mirrors Edge and GTA IV. I have GTA IV on 360, however my disc is fucked up. On the other hand, I hear the PC version is a clunky port at best. I've never played Mirrors Edge. GAH decisions
The Mirrors Edge port is THE way to play the game. kb/m takes the game to another level.

Antagon

Lkr said:

Mirror's Edge is still the best PC game I've played this year. 3.5 Euros / 5 dollars is a steal.

Rur0ni

Seems some games are more populated on different servers, since I'm only getting the busy error on a few titles (Indigo and Sniper Elite).

fresquito

I <3 Memes said:
Don't judge any game based on the screens on steams website. The are a horribly compressed mess. Just check out steams screenshots for a game that you already know looks great and you will see how bad they are.
Well, the problem is: its pixels are bigger than my fist. I threw money away when I got Abbe's games because they were a pizel mess. I don't want to stumble on the same stone again.

RedSwirl

RedSwirl said:
It took $2.49 to finally get me to accept Braid.

Anyway, I need advice on certain games guys:

Rainbow Six 3 - it's $5 now.

I've gotten a bit tired of linear, unrealistic shooters like Modern Warfare and have been looking for something a bit more strategic and open-ended. I was disappointed by the linearity of the Rainbow Six Vegas games. I also became disappointed at GRAW once I started playing the original Ghost Recon which I'm making it through at a glacial pace - on easy mode.

People tell me that the first two Rainbow Six games are are a bit too oldschool compared to modern gaming interfaces, but what about Rainbow Six 3? It was mainly played on the last gen consoles so its mechanics should still hold up enough right?

Rome: Total War - $2.49

Yeah it's basically a no-brainer at that price, but I want to know if it'll be worth my time or if it'll just frustrate me. You see, I really don't like PC RTSs where I spend most of my time keeping my people happy and harvesting dirt and crap. That's why I've stayed away from any RTS that doesn't contain either Tiberium or Zergs.

A while back when Medieval II Total war went on sale I tried the demo for that game and walked away confused. The interface wasn't hard to grasp at all, but I had no idea what was going on in the actual game space.

Some times I would lose a battle or come to a draw without knowing why. Other times I would actually win a battle with no idea exactly why. I couldn't figure out how a force counts as "routed" or "demoralized" or whatever.

Rome looks like exactly my kind of setting for a strategy game, but since there's no demo I want a description of its learning curve.

Hasphat6462 said:
Get Rome: Total War. The tutorial explains all the basic things about managing your empire and your army nicely.

How is it less confusing than Medieval II?

RJT

fresquito said:
Running in windowed mode isn't so bad...

Lkr

Antagon said:
Mirror's Edge is still the best PC game I've played this year. 3.5 Euros / 5 dollars is a steal.
Purchasing right now. Hopefully the PhysX effects don't kill my GTS 250

It's awesome seeing lots of people buying the Void. I probably won't actually play it until they release the easy patch (I have a box copy, and am a wuss :lol ). Devs and games like this should be supported.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
How big of a difference is modded Oblivion compared to the console version? I put 100 hours into the 360 version, but heard the PC version with the right mods is amazing.

Thoughts?

Jas said:
Fallout 3: Game of the Year Edition $17.49

http://store.steampowered.com/app/22370/
wsqplj.gif

Lkr

Lkr said:
Purchasing right now. Hopefully the PhysX effects don't kill my GTS 250
One more thing: since its EA and not Valve, how do I patch it since its a Steam game? Will it be auto? Do I go on the EA site?

Lkr said:

The GTA IV port is fine and looks, controls, and plays better (at higher fps) then either console version provided you have the hardware to run it. You need either a dual core clocked around or above 3.0 Ghz, a triple core, or best case scenario a quad core. On very high settings my quad core is only used to about 70% in the benchmark so a quad is not that necessary.

All those people you hear complaining about the driving controls are probably using a controller and not kb. Using kb I can drive down the road fish tailing from left to right with as much control as other people drive straight. The helicopter controls suck with kb though.

Top Bottom