• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2009 Begins! (Dec 22nd - Jan 3rd)

Kipe

Definitely buying
Eido Collector's Pack (Deus Ex, Hitman, Thief, Arkham Asylum)
Heroes of Might and Magic V
The Void
X3: Terran Conflict
Outrun 2006: Coast 2 Coast
Rome: Total War

Maybe
AI War: Fleet Command

After this sale and the gog.com sale I don't think I have to buy anymore games for next year.

tabsina

Is there any way for me to buy the King's Quest collection in Australia? I can't see it in Steam, and the site link to the collection tells me i can't get it from australia - is there a way around that?

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
tabsina said:
Is there any way for me to buy the King's Quest collection in Australia? I can't see it in Steam, and the site link to the collection tells me i can't get it from australia - is there a way around that?

You could try use a VPN and log into steam that way or get someone from the US to gift it to you.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
brain_stew said:
Well I've used two "unlimited" services (Sky and BT) and regularly used 200GB+ bandwidth a month without any warnings or throttling. Heck considering there was 6 of us sharing that Sky line I wouldn't be surprised if it passed half a terabyte some months. Maybe try one of them?

I'm with Royal Mail, perhaps your right, once my contract is up I'll have a little shop around.

Dynoro said:
I just swapped to pipex and they have given me unlimited - i've downloaded about 150gb through steam this month and no warnings yet

Cheers I'll have a little gander at their site.

Grayman

Thank you three for the advice. I will probably pass on the witcher for the time being and get it when I am in the mood for a game like that. I still have not finished DAO.

As for the sale I have not fully planned my week long deal haul yet.
Defense Grid: The Awakening 2.49 limited time
Deus Ex: Game of the Year Edition 6.69
Indigo Prophecy 3.39
Outrun 2006: Coast 2 Coast 2.49
Time Gentlemen, Please! and Ben There, Dan That! Double Pack 2.49 features list made me laugh
Plants vs Zombies 7.49

lightly considering ghost busters, Rainbow Six Vegas 2 or Hitman Blood Money

Tokubetsu said:
A little, you can't get lost but it's not as linear as NWN2 but DA has it beat with the open world map. Biggest thing is The Witcher's world is actually interesting and unique for the most part. Dragon Age was touting the whole "dark fantasy" shtick but The Witcher does it right and a lot better than DA.

Basileus777 said:
The Witcher isn't very open ended. The game is broken up into chapters. You can do various sidequests within those chapters, but the main quest itself is linear. Once you complete a chapter, you generally leave the area and any remaining quests behind. There isn't much exploring to do.

Fredescu said:
You should check out Risen or Divinity II. The Witcher is awesome, but doesn't really fit that bill.
I checked out the demo for Risen a few days ago, I am hoping to see that one on sale.

MNC

WHAT DO I BUY GAF AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

No seriously, it's either I own the games or I probably won't like them :lol HELP ME BUY STUFF.

Got Stalker and Audiosurf. I didnt know that the Orange box OST was included with Audiosurf... So I just payed 2.5 euros for a game and a digital OST, holy crap thats a good deal :lol

Everdred

I have weeded through my list and every game on Steam, here's my list for the current deals... What do you guys think? Anything I should cut? I don't have a huge budget and I'm hoping for some good deals on the different days.

Definite:
Defense Grid: The Awakening - $2.49
Oddworld Pack - $2.49
Braid - $2.49
Outrun 2006: Coast 2 Coast - $2.49
Machinarium - $9.99
The Void - $9.99
RedLynx Trials 2: Second Edition - $4.99
Zeno Clash - $7.49
World in Conflict: Complete Edition - $9.99
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
$42.45

Maybe:
The Chronicles of Riddick™ Assault on Dark Athena - $7
Trine - $7.99
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
$57.44

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Right, so Borderlands is mine.

Dragon Age will be as soon as it comes cheap.
EDIT: Ohhhh man Ghostbusters, tempting tempting.

What are the chances of Borderlands dropping in a one day sale? Or do they not drop ones that are already on sale?

tabsina

evlcookie said:
You could try use a VPN and log into steam that way or get someone from the US to gift it to you.

thanks.. i'll look into vpn, if it is too complicated, i can just ask a US relative to sign in to steam under my account and grab the game right?

gifting and paying through paypal is beyond the amount of effort i'm willing to go through for the collection :lol

Kipe

tabsina said:
thanks.. i'll look into vpn, if it is too complicated, i can just ask a US relative to sign in to steam under my account and grab the game right?

gifting and paying through paypal is beyond the amount of effort i'm willing to go through for the collection :lol

That might flag your account.

Rubezh

I'm gutted I missed the Dragon Age deal a few weeks back. I hope it goes on sale again because that's the only game I'm interested in picking up.

Fredescu

Waku said:
So the wise choice for the pactient would be to wait out the Daily Deals and then go to town on Jan. 3 for the rest, correct? Those other Sales will go till Jan. 3, not only the Dailies?
One thing to keep in mind with this approach is that on very rare occasions Steam will run out of CD keys for a particular game and have to remove them from sale. I think it's only happened a couple of times.

SmZA

I too am interested in getting the King's/Space Quest games but live in Australia. Any US GAFfers looking to buy something for exactly $10 and willing to do a straight swap?

hamchan

Paulathon said:
I too am interested in getting the King's/Space Quest games but live in Australia. Any US GAFfers looking to buy something for exactly $10 and willing to do a straight swap?

This is weird. They were on the Australian store when I checked in the morning but now they seem to be removed.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Alright, think i got a good list of steam games to buy in a few days. But i have one concern over one title - Dawn of discovery. The three machine activation limit, if by chance i use all of the activations. Is there a easy and convenient way to remove them?

DirtRiver

Some would say their problem with this deals is that they don't have the money.

I say I don't have the HD space. Fuck.

Will buy for sure today:
Defense Grid
Braid

And will wait till Christmas to buy the rest since I will get a lot of money probably. Will probably buy the Eidos pack :D

Dedalus

swr5z9.png

Well that's my "sensible" haul for today. I limited myself to games below £10. Yea, we'll see how long that lasts :lol damn you Gabe, damn youuuuuuuuu!!!

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
Oh my God. I'm back. I'm home. All the time, I was...You finally, really did it. You maniacs! YOU BLEW IT UP! AH DAMN YOU! GODDAMN YOU ALL TO HELL!

It is my wallet.

I keep finding Packs and Collections and Mega Packs and Ultra Collections. Considering this goes on for a while, I think I'll have to show some serious restraint and just stick with the daily deals until the end.

I mean. I got the THQ pack when that was $50 and I basically don't think I'll wade through that in the next six months, and here I am looking at buying more. But I feel obligated to get Mirror's Edge and the Unreal pack just because and just because some more + mods. Ridiculous.

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
i recommend anyone getting the Time Gentlemen Please and Ben There, Dan That games play BTDT first. Much better game, imo, even if the production is worse.

CryptiK

Foreign Legion: Buckets of Blood anyone heard of this game? its $1.50 and looks like a pretty fun lego looking shooter

deleted

ip2sy0.gif

Amazing deals! Definitly getting Stalker, Braid, GTA IV, Lucas Arts Adventure Pack, and considering The Witcher and many more...

Steam: It only sells off everything!

Rotanibor

I got:

Defense Grid: The Awakening
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
Loom
The Dig
Alien Shooter
Alien Shooter - Revisited
Alien Shooter 2 - Reloaded
Zombie Shooter
Zombie Shooter 2

So 10 games for just over $11. Not bad.

Is it possible to use a VPN to get access to the US part of Steam, create an account and buy stuff via PayPal that is gifted to my real Europen account? Or is Valve clever enough to stop me from doing that?

tabsina said:
name me a song to try out for the audiosurf demo.. i'm liking it so far.. but i want an amazing song to try out before i pay (i don't know why.. 2.50 shouldn't even be a question - damn you steam)

Outkast - B.O.B. is one of my favorite tracks to play. I've also had great experiences with classic Micheal Jackson.

Zzoram

ACE 1991 said:
Hmm... Considering getting one of the Prince of Persia games. Which one holds the best? I'm guessing sands of time...

Pretty much. The new Prince of Persia is actually pretty fun too but it's a lot more automated so people who liked the challenge of Sands of Time may not necessarily enjoy it.

DirtRiver

Well, Defense Grid is actually pretty fun.

Going to probably try Braid and the Shadowgrounds games later today.

Also, EA games don't have deals so we can probably assume they will be featured on the special ones.

Q8D3vil

gta iv is not appearing in the deals ( i guess its ip restricted )

can anyone gift it for me and i'll gift him any 10 $ game

pm me if your interested

RJT

How is the first Assassin's Creed? I'm considering buying it (will hold on for a special day though).

Carlisle

Wow Steam. Way to blow your Black Friday sale out of the water and then nuke it. After showing more restraint than I've ever showed in my life, I managed to come away with just:

Indigo Prophecy
Oddworld Pack

Damage: $5.

Not bad considering that as soon as I got paid, I was going to get those on the PSN store and XBLM for a total of $35. Now I need to leave this thread before I break my own restraints and ruin what's left of my life.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Okay, is there a way I can make Steam actually use my PayPal funds?

I'd like to add prices always seem to appear in US dollars, despite being Australian. Is there are setting somewhere I'm supposed to alter?

Top Bottom