• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2009 Begins! (Dec 22nd - Jan 3rd)

BeeDog

Got away cheap:

LucasArts Adventure Pack
Defense Grid: The Awakening

Not much else in this batch that I desperately needed. Does anyone know if these games will stick as the Holiday sales? Or will they keep adding new discounted games every day?

Brashnir

Picked up the Shadowgrounds pack. Is it two seperate games or game + expansion where I should just launch the expansion and play through it all?

Minsc

Gold Member
BeeDog said:
Got away cheap:

LucasArts Adventure Pack
Defense Grid: The Awakening

Not much else in this batch that I desperately needed. Does anyone know if these games will stick as the Holiday sales? Or will they keep adding new discounted games every day?

The deals on Steam's front page will switch according to the timer. ~28 hours until we see a new batch of sales!

I've never played any of the X-COM games and I see they are on sale right now. I know that UFO defense is the classic one and it's only $3.34 but the complete collection with 5 games is only $10.04.

Since I don't know anything about the other X-COM games I have a question for GAF: Should I get the collection or just UFO defense? Are the later games comparable in quality to the first?

Also, how easily will these games run on a modern system? Will I need to use DOSbox?

Torchlight is a steal at $10!!!

well okay not a steal, but still the best diablo game you can play solo until Diablo 3 comes out.

Minsc

Gold Member
leroy hacker said:
I've never played any of the X-COM games and I see they are on sale right now. I know that UFO defense is the classic one and it's only $3.34 but the complete collection with 5 games is only $10.04.

Since I don't know anything about the other X-COM games I have a question for GAF: Should I get the collection or just UFO defense? Are the later games comparable in quality to the first?

Also, how easily will these games run on a modern system? Will I need to use DOSbox?

Some will argue TFTD is the best game, having the added elements of under water missions additional enemies and weapons, but I was a little turned off by how similar it was (and without a doubt the intro from TFTD pales to UFO: Defense Force, wtf slideshow?). The original is by far the most classic, and my favorite. No sequel has really captured that spark quite like the first game(s).

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
leroy hacker said:

The original is the essential one. Terror from the Deep is cool too, basically an underwater standalone expansion. The rest suck.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
leroy hacker said:

The first two (UFO Defense and Terror from the Deep) are excellent, the next two (Apocalypse / Interceptor) are playable, and Enforcer is pretty meh, IMO.

Rahk

Since there are going to be daily sales, it might be a good idea to hold off before buying anything since the already discounted games might get an even bigger discount later.

I plan to just buy everything I want on the last day, except for the daily sales of course.

The thing about UFO Defense vs. TFTD is that you can really just keep playing UFO Defense whenever you have an X-COM itch and it will never disappoint. TFTD is cute an all, but I have had it since it came out originally back in the 90s and never bother to bust it out when I want that magic X-COM experience. I always go back to UFO Defense.

Zzoram

GMUNYIFan said:
I'm hoping that plants vs. zombies will go on sale again. I missed it the other day when it was $5

It's $7.50 now I think. I got it at launch for $10 and never regretted it. 77 hours of bliss.

The first three X-Com games (UFO Defense, Terror from the Deep, and Apocalypse) are all amazing. I'm actually thinking of picking up the collection myself for the added convenience of not having to dig out my old CDs from storage.

SmZA

Fragamemnon said:
The thing about UFO Defense vs. TFTD is that you can really just keep playing UFO Defense whenever you have an X-COM itch and it will never disappoint. TFTD is cute an all, but I have had it since it came out originally back in the 90s and never bother to bust it out when I want that magic X-COM experience. I always go back to UFO Defense.
Yes, just buy the original and play it to death.

SmZA

Everdred said:
Does Chaos Theory really hold up that well?
Versus multiplier doesn't, it was made by a separate developer, looks awful and you'll never get enough players.
Single player may be worth trying, some say it's the best campaign in the series and the graphics look pretty good. You don't need to have played the first two games.
Buy the game for co-op. Get a friend to buy it also and have loads of fun infiltrating enemy complexes. Since they never made multiplayer MGS or Thief games this is the closest you'll get to a co-op stealth game. This is the only mode I've bothered playing and it's worth the price.

eznark

Banned
Zzoram said:
Evil Genius for $1.99?
I bought it on GoG when it was on sale a couple weeks ago. Totally forgot though and almost bought it again.

I know it isn't obscure, but how is Silent Hunter III?

Chairhome

EatChildren said:
Okay, is there a way I can make Steam actually use my PayPal funds?

I'd like to add prices always seem to appear in US dollars, despite being Australian. Is there are setting somewhere I'm supposed to alter?
Using Paypal works fine for me, just choose it during checkout, then it'll redirect you to sign in. Not sure if its different in your region.

Thanks for all the answers to my X-COM question. I think I'm just going to grab the first one.

eznark said:
Best relatively obscure game for $5 and under?

(I already have all the top 20 that I want)

It was mentioned earlier in the thread but And Yet it Moves is a really creative platformer priced at $4.99 right now.

SmZA

eznark said:
I know it isn't obscure, but how is Silent Hunter III?
This won't be all that helpful but I bought it last Christmas and haven't played it. The resolution is fixed to 1024x768 - no bigger or smaller - which pissed me off so I never bothered with it again. Same goes for IL-2 Sturmovik. It may sound petty but if I'm playing a sim I want to be immersed in the world and blocky upscaled graphics don't cut it.

G_Berry

Banned
I'm just waiting for mass effect.

Even though I own it on 360, I'd love to play through it again on PC before 2 comes out.

Scipius

archnemesis said:
Is Europa Universalis III Complete worth playing or should I wait for a price drop on the Heir to the Throne expansion?

EU3: Complete, despite its name, does not contain HttT, but you will need Complete to be able to run the expansion anyway; Complete is already sufficiently complex if you're not used to Paradox' games. Definitely worth it; you can spend exorbitant amounts of time in this game if you want.

Vallarfax

Formerly 'GMUNYIFan'
Zzoram said:
It's $7.50 now I think. I got it at launch for $10 and never regretted it. 77 hours of bliss.

Yea I didn't know that I could access the steam store from my phone....and buy stuff too. Just picked up:

Stalker 1.99
Penumbra Collector Pack 9.99
Star Wars:KoToR 4.99
Broken Sword:Twin Pack 4.99
Wallace and Gromit's Grand Adventure 10.19
Plants vs. Zombies 7.49

Total for everything? 39.64

My GOD this sale is going to continue to rape my wallet.

Lumine

Ohh I'm really tempted to pick up Stalker at $2. I kinda remember the reception being very mixed though when it came out. And didn't a sequel came out not too long ago as well?

Still, a dark moody RPG FPS whatever sounds like my kind of thing really and at $2 it would probably be a steal.

But I gotta ask first. How good is this game? Is it worth it? :)

Scipius said:
EU3: Complete, despite its name, does not contain HttT, but you will need Complete to be able to run the expansion anyway; Complete is already sufficiently complex if you're not used to Paradox' games.
Thanks! I guess Complete should be enough to begin with.
Lumine said:
Ohh I'm really tempted to pick up Stalker at $2. I kinda remember the reception being very mixed though when it came out. And didn't a sequel came out not too long ago as well?

Still, a dark moody RPG FPS whatever sounds like my kind of thing really and at $2 it would probably be a steal.

Stalker is a great game. There's also a free mod (Complete 2009 Mod) with totally revamped graphics. The sequel is only available in Russian IIRC.

Edit: S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat is apparently getting an English release in February.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Chairhome said:
Using Paypal works fine for me, just choose it during checkout, then it'll redirect you to sign in. Not sure if its different in your region.

This I know, but it wont work. It keeps telling me I have insufficiant funds in my PayPal and asks me to link a credit card, which I cant do as I dont have one.

It's totally wrong about having insufficant funds. I've got about AU$10 in there and it wont even let me purchase stuff at US$2, which I can clearly afford.

It seems like it's not recognising any money in my account. Prices all appear in US too, as if it's not detecting I'm from Australia. Though I'm not a big Steam store shopper so I dont know if this is right or not. All I know is that it wont accept my PayPal, and thus I cannot buy anything.

EDIT: I notice that Medieval 2: Total War is cheap and chips. That would have to be the best value for dollar, me thinks. I've spent hundreds of hours easily on that game.

Dynoro

EatChildren said:
This I know, but it wont work. It keeps telling me I have insufficiant funds in my PayPal and asks me to link a credit card, which I cant do as I dont have one.

It's totally wrong about having insufficant funds. I've got about AU$10 in there and it wont even let me purchase stuff at US$2, which I can clearly afford.

It seems like it's not recognising any money in my account. Prices all appear in US too, as if it's not detecting I'm from Australia. Though I'm not a big Steam store shopper so I dont know if this is right or not. All I know is that it wont accept my PayPal, and thus I cannot buy anything.
I may be wrong; but I think when paying by Paypal you need enough funds to cover the pre-sale price (though you don't pay that) to be able to purchase

Firehead

Dynoro said:
I may be wrong; but I think when paying by Paypal you need enough funds to cover the pre-sale price (though you don't pay that) to be able to purchase
Correct. This is why I hate using paypal with Steam.

Kabouter

archnemesis said:
Is Europa Universalis III Complete worth playing or should I wait for a price drop on the Heir to the Throne expansion?
Well worth playing. I played 200 hours of In Nomine and had a blast. Heir to the Throne is better of course, but the game is great even without it. There are few better ways of spending your money on steam.

Choke on the Magic said:
The Bethesda 33% deal is good till the 3rd right? Or do they all change when the ticker goes down?

Edit: Nvm
It's 33% for you? It's 25% for me :I

Disappointed by the sale. It's difficult to navigate and find anything you want. The prices aren't that cheap. Nothing is like "OMG MUST BUY NOW" you are all crack head addicts to Steam.

PS. How's Red Faction Guerilla's online on PC?

Scipius

Lumine said:

Very much worth it, but it's not for the timid. The reason it received mixed reviews were twofold. At the time it was rather unstable. While still not perfect today, it has ceased to be a problem.

Second is that it can seem to be an unfriendly game at first, especially to the console shooter crowd. There is no tutorial, your head bobs constantly, all incidental dialogue is in Russian (mission dialogue is in English), and you will die on your first mission.

But once you adapt and learn to survive, the game rewards you like no other; the atmosphere is unparalled, especially in the later areas. The underground sections rival any survival horror game.

A man's game.

archnemesis said:
The sequel is only available in Russian IIRC.

You're thinking of the epilogue and second expansion, Call of Pripyat, which is currently only out in Russian and German (February 2010 for the rest of us). But Clear Sky, the prologue and first expansion, is already out, in English (too much English even), and also 50% off on Steam. Highly recommended for those who liked the original game.

Chairhome

Dynoro said:
Wow, that sucks. Sorry, EatChildren!

Thinking about the Borderlands 4 pack. The sale price is around $100... I've just got too many games right now.

G_Berry

Banned
Visualante said:
It's 33% for you? It's 25% for me :I

Disappointed by the sale. It's difficult to navigate and find anything you want. The prices aren't that cheap. Nothing is like "OMG MUST BUY NOW" you are all crack head addicts to Steam.

PS. How's Red Faction Guerilla's online on PC?

Yeah $2.00 isn't that cheap..... wait WTF????

Lumine said:

Gosh this question pisses me off.

If you are even remotely interested, why are you asking if the game is worth it at TWO DOLLARS????!!! At what price would it have to be for you just to try it out?!?!

BTW: It's worth it at $50.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
How are the Complete Shooter pack games (Alien and Zombie shooter)? I'm downloading the demo of Zombie Shooter 2, but it's taking a while...

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Lumine said:

GAF apparently loves it.

And I can't say no to GAF at that price.

So far i've picked up:

The Witcher: Enhanced Edition
Luxor 3
Time Gentlemen, Please!, Ben There, Dan That! Double Pack
And Yet It Moves (i really like this!)
Rockstar Collection

I think i'll hold off on anything else until i've seen all the special deals.

Has anyone tried out the puzzle game Cogs? I watched the trailer and it seems really interesting. It's 50% off at $4.99, so if it's good i might buy.

Top Bottom