• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2009 Begins! (Dec 22nd - Jan 3rd)

JoeBoy101

Jesus Christ this sale! I only picked up GTA IV (Double Dip, but first time on PC and its less than $10) and STALKER (always dabbled on getting it, but for the cost of a cheeseburger?!? Less Calories too) so far, but keeping an eye on the daily deals. Absolutely kicking myself that picked up Borderlands on Saturday last week.

Valve does realize that they don't have inventory and they don't need to clean out the warehouse right?? Or are they cleaning out the servers? Either way, this sale is a fuckton of epicness so far. Here's hoping it continues.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
OK, so tell me this...

I'm in Europe right now and won't be back until after this sale is over. All of the prices are showing up in Euros, which sucks, but I'm wondering if I can still make a purchase here on my laptop (using my account) and then install the game on my desktop when I get home.

Should this work? Are the European deals different from what is on sale in the US?

GHG

Gold Member
dark10x said:
OK, so tell me this...

I'm in Europe right now and won't be back until after this sale is over. All of the prices are showing up in Euros, which sucks, but I'm wondering if I can still make a purchase here on my laptop (using my account) and then install the game on my desktop when I get home.

Should this work? Are the European deals different from what is on sale in the US?

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AmyzSxyuYIATdGFrRkVGeVdUNUVmRll4ZXJ4dU9BNnc&hl=en

Look at that.

JoeBoy101 said:
Can't see Steam right now from work, but can anyone give me details on the id Super Pack?

It's currently $34.99 and it includes the following games:

Quake III Arena, Wolfenstein 3D, The Ultimate Doom, Final DOOM, DOOM II, QUAKE, QUAKE II, QUAKE II Mission Pack: The Reckoning, QUAKE II Mission Pack: Ground Zero, QUAKE III: Team Arena, HeXen, HeXen: Deathkings of the Dark Citadel, Heretic: Shadow of the Serpent Riders, Spear of Destiny, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, QUAKE Mission Pack 2: Dissolution of Eternity, QUAKE Mission Pack 1: Scourge of Armagon, DOOM 3, HeXen II, DOOM 3 Resurrection of Evil, Master Levels for Doom II, Commander Keen

JoeBoy101

crimsonheadGCN said:
It's currently $34.99 and it includes the following games:

Quake III Arena, Wolfenstein 3D, The Ultimate Doom, Final DOOM, DOOM II, QUAKE, QUAKE II, QUAKE II Mission Pack: The Reckoning, QUAKE II Mission Pack: Ground Zero, QUAKE III: Team Arena, HeXen, HeXen: Deathkings of the Dark Citadel, Heretic: Shadow of the Serpent Riders, Spear of Destiny, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, QUAKE Mission Pack 2: Dissolution of Eternity, QUAKE Mission Pack 1: Scourge of Armagon, DOOM 3, HeXen II, DOOM 3 Resurrection of Evil, Master Levels for Doom II, Commander Keen

that's alotta game

Struct09

It turns out there's a digital distribution parallel to having games still in shrink wrap. There are now a number of Steam games I own that I've never downloaded (and possibly never will).

Des0lar

will learn eventually
VibratingDonkey said:
It's a strange world when you think €2 is too much. But it adds up. Removed Outrun, the Oddworld Pack and the Lucasarts Pack from my cart. I would never play those games. Just like I'll never play The Path, Overlord, Torchlight, Osmos and all the other cheapo games I had a passing interest in and bought on an impulse primarily because of the price. Plants vs Zombies is one of the few gambles I feel paid off.

I wish you could gift purchased games.

:O

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Struct09 said:
It turns out there's a digital distribution parallel to having games still in shrink wrap. There are now a number of Steam games I own that I've never downloaded (and possibly never will).

I still haven't downloaded about half of the games from when they had the 2K Games pack on sale a few months back.

Dennis

Banned
I <3 Memes said:
How about Mass Effect or even Borderlands. A game doesn't have to use just swords and spells to be an RPG. : )
I will give you Mass Effect. Fantastic game. Borderlands is shit though.

Went in with a budget of 10 pounds and came out with 5 games and some change.

Evil Genius
Sniper Elite
Silent Hunter III
X-Com 3: Apocalypse
Outrun2006 Coast 2 Coast

Total 8.91 GBP

Just played Outrun 2006 and it is definitely worth the money.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Going to order STALKER and GTAIV for now, see what the daily deals are before I buy anything else.

Lyonaz

I bought:

Braid
Indigo Prophecy
Lucasarts Adventure pack
Zombie shooter 2
STALKER

I'm sure I'll buy lots more in the following days.
Hell I don't even care if my PC can't even play half of the games I'm gonna buy.
My backlog is gonna BE HUGE when I do eventually upgrade my PC. :lol

fresquito

I've gotten Defense Grid: The Awakening and after playing some 30 minutes, I've doubtfull about the genre this game belongs to. I mean, it's obviously a tower defese game, but you could well say it's an achievement collector.

Half an hour and I've already gotten 14 achievements. I think this number negates the name they have. :lol

Dynoro

goldsoundz said:
I've got Zombie Shooter 2 in my cart, and close to adding Tropico 3 to it. Anyone played that yet? How is it?
There's a demo out for Tropico 3 that's well worth trying given its not a daily deal

JudgeN

If I may ask how is Gothic 3 and Dark Sector on PC? Is Gothic 3 like oblivion? and is Dark Sector PC a good port?

Man, these servers are getting bombarded. I've tried four different ones and I can't download Zombie Shooter 2 on any of them right now.

EDIT: Chicago worked!

debating on whether i should grab defense grid & PVZ or not... i'm a huge td junkie but after years of wc3 and flash tds, would these offer me anything different?

Toby

So Broken Sword 2 and 3 are awesome, right? I haven't played any point and click adventure games before, but I do enjoy a good story if they have one.

fresquito

Toby said:
So Broken Sword 2 and 3 are awesome, right? I haven't played any point and click adventure games before, but I do enjoy a good story if they have one.
You should try the adventure pack then. They're old like bitches, but they were the best of the best back then.

Toby said:

They are good if not classics but I don't think they are very suited for a beginner though...

Just my opinion.

Althane

Hmmm. is Dark Messiah of M&M worth $5? I've not heard a ton about it.

I'd get Fallout, but GoG has it for cheaper...

Is Gothic 3 good? Or should I get the earlier ones from GoG?

I was going to get Assassin's Creed, Splinter Cell CT, and Beyond Good and Evil...but I decided that I probably would never finish any of those games so I got Sid Meyer's Railroad! instead, haha.

86vtx said:
debating on whether i should grab defense grid & PVZ or not... i'm a huge td junkie but after years of wc3 and flash tds, would these offer me anything different?

Yes.

DG:TA is the TD genre refined. Features like fast forward and quick checksave rewind (just hit backspace) are godsends. Nice visuals, and the map layouts are challenging and offer plenty of different ways to come at them. It offers a good challenge with a handful of fun modes.

If I had any gripes with the game, it would be that there hasn't been any new maps released and some might say the tower count is a bit on the low side. What they offer is well thought out, however.

PvZ is not my favorite TD game, despite the love it gets around here. But, it's most certainly different than anything else out there in the genre. You definitely have to try it.

4 games so far, less than $10

Rome Total War Gold
Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl
Lucasarts Adventure Pack
Audiosurf

Contemplating getting The Witcher, although I would prefer a physical version for some of the extras, but the price seems right.

Also thinking about Broken Sword 2+3
GTA4
Oddworld
Freedom Force
Overlord
Torchlight
Evil Genius

I'm hoping for Mass Effect and Oblivion deals.

I have Indigo Prophecy (in the shrinkwrap) for PS2. Is the PC version better in any way?

lol, dammit all the US servers are hammered and I cannot even download from NY anymore. I noticed that they keep adding servers to more cities. :lol

Althane said:
Hmmm. is Dark Messiah of M&M worth $5? I've not heard a ton about it.

I think it's fun. Well worth $5, IMO. More of a medieval FP action game than a RPG.

I picked up Outrun 2006 last night and it's absolutely beautiful on PC. Well worth the $2.49. Works great with the 360 controller.

Top Bottom