• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2009 Begins! (Dec 22nd - Jan 3rd)

undrtakr900

ANyone else have the dilemma of seeing so many great deals but having to pass because you don't have the hardware to run it :'(

soldat7

$15 just got me Morrowind, Trine, and KOTOR.

undrtakr900 said:
ANyone else have the dilemma of seeing so many great deals but having to pass because you don't have the hardware to run it :'(

Nope. I'll get the hardware eventually. :)

aktham

bah i missed out on Outrun 2006 from a few days ago it seems. I'm also hoping for a great deal on Fallout 3 GOTY

Oh Trine and Morrowind for me today ;)

Relix said:
Wtf...

I tried to run Crysis and now it gives me the following error:

"Could not write license data!
Please contact custommer support!"

WTF?

I googled "Could not write license data" and found several pages of suggestions for fixes including this page. Try some of the other results too.

Volcynika

aktham said:
bah i missed out on Outrun 2006 from a few days ago it seems. I'm also hoping for a great deal on Fallout 3 GOTY

Outrun 2006 is still $2.49. You didn't miss out at all!

aktham said:

Don't think Outrun has been a daily deal. It's only £1.24 right now for me though, picked it up the other day cause at that price why not? :lol

Bah, beaten.

Lkr said:
Just bought Red Alert 3, but only getting 650kb/s :\
Disappointing :(

Be grateful dude, I'd be more than happy if my internet was even capable of that fast a download!

Do you guys think the holiday sale will go out with a bang or fizzle? I don't even know what I would want to go on sale at this point...

Volcynika

Gully State said:
Do you guys think the holiday sale will go out with a bang or fizzle? I don't even know what I would want to go on sale at this point...

Well each day there are different games that appeal to different people, etc. So some will bitch, some will rejoice, some will go "I don't have any money left!"

Lkr

1) What one Steam purchase you made during this sale are you the most pleased with? Why?
Burnout Paradise, because I've wanted this game for a while. At $7.49, it was an absolute steal. Great graphics with endless gameplay
2) What one Steam purchase from this sale are you least pleased with? Why?
None, just disappointed the servers are going slow now
3) How much did you spend on this sale? (Estimates are fine.)
$22 for 3 games
4) What will you do differently next year?
Not buy any PC games before the Steam sale
5) What game would you most like to see on Steam?
Battle For Middle Earth
6) What would you pay for it?
$20, just so I could have it on Steam and not have to worry about my discs

Hey all. I'm putting together my list of sale games to nab tomorrow on the last day. I was thinking that both Gratuitous Space Battles and AI War looked like pretty neat / unique indie space combat games.

Does anyone have any quick impressions about these two? Any one they would recommend in particular?

Brashnir

1) What one Steam purchase you made during this sale are you the most pleased with? Why?
Telltale Everything Pack. Have only played Tales of Monkey Island so far, but it was one of the best game experiences I've had all year. Excited to play through the rest of the games soon.

Audiosurf. Had heard good thngs about the game but had my doubts. All my doubts were realized, plus playing the game made me physically ill.

about $100 on myself, plus another $150 on gifts for others

Nothing.

the Divinity games.

Divine Divinity - 10 bucks. Divinity 2 - $40. Maybe more if I clear out some of this sale backlog.

Lkr

Gully State said:
Best case scenario: Borderlands :D

Down to 50.3kb/s right now! WTF STEAM!

Smash88

Banned
Gully State said:

Honestly, most of us are hoping for a huge sale tomorrow, but most likely, it will turn out to be just a normal set of deals, that isn't that special.

Slavik81

TheFightingFish said:
Hey all. I'm putting together my list of sale games to nab tomorrow on the last day. I was thinking that both Gratuitous Space Battles and AI War looked like pretty neat / unique indie space combat games.

Does anyone have any quick impressions about these two? Any one they would recommend in particular?
Play the demos first.

I almost bought them based on a few vague, positive impressions in various places. At the last minute, I decided I'd try the demo first. It was a very, very good thing I did, because I didn't like either of them in the slightest.

Jirotrom said:
how does trackmania united hold up?
The Nations part of it is free and was the part I liked the most, but over-all Trackmania is one of the better games I bought last year.

PoP: Sands of Time. Never got to play it last gen. It's an awesome game.

2) What one Steam purchase from this sale are you least pleased with?
Evil Genius. I played it intensely for a night and then realized all the flaws that were keeping it from being REALLY fun and it just depresses me to think about what could've been

I'm currently at $77.18 for a bajillion games.

Ignore weekend sales, wait for the holiday sale

Starcraft 2, all other blizzard games.

$60

games I'd like to see tomorrow:

Ubisoft WW2
Call of Duty (original & other very old ones)
Psychonauts
Fallout 3 GOTY
Gish
Crayon Physics Deluxe
Rainbow Six collection
AAaaaaAaaaaaAaaah
Commandos pack

Eh . . . what am I saying. I'll never play all these. Just give us something decent.

The everything that was previously on sales would be cool . . . there are things I regret not picking up.

Dunlop

Kodiak said:
They all feel like they run out too fast or aren't powerful enough, especially because the look of the suit makes you feel so BA. They shouldn't have even bothered with the nano suit.

I actually prefer this, it feels that I have a "slight" tactical advantage without having to be the Master Chief.

In Halo I can pretty much run and gun through everything, in Crysis from my limited playtime I learned that gest me dead fast ; )

Can't wait to see tomorrows specials

undrtakr900 said:
Not at all . . . you'll always own it, so you can play when you get better hardware.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Gully State said:
For me, it's a bust if there's no Fallout 3. It's all that matters.

TheExodu5

Banned
speculawyer said:
Not at all . . . you'll always own it, so you can play when you get better hardware.

Pretty much.

I bought GTA IV to have a bit of fun with it now. I know that in 5 years time, it'll be a great sandbox game with tons of mods that will run at 60fps and finally look great. :)

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Torchlight, it's the only game I like from what I got and have poured a ton of hours into already. (Braid too, but it was a double dip)

I didn't like Mr. Robot, Universe at War, or Jade Empire. To a lesser extent Bioshock because I can't get it to work properly yet (haven't really bothered since it's another double dip on my part).

~$23-24 USD

Prepare better, I didn't get to take part in the latter half of the sale so I missed deals like Civ4 and Sam & Max. I was going to give them more money but I couldn't. ;_;

Warcraft III Battlechest equivalent

At normal price? $40. In a sale like this? I'd hope to see it as a daily deal for ~$15 or less.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
I <3 Memes said:
I googled "Could not write license data" and found several pages of suggestions for fixes including this page. Try some of the other results too.

Yeah I followed those tips. I could have messed something in my PC earlier when I did some housekeeping, because even SF4 started asking for a key. I just rebooted and SF4 worked, gonna test Crysis now.

EDIT: Worked =)

kamspy

I'm hoping Gary's Mod shows up tomorrow. If not I'll bite the $7 bullet.

I don't know how I own most every other piece of software Valve related and not that.

I haven't had much of a chance to jump into a lot of the games i bought because i worked overnight all this past week and because of the sheer amount of games i bought thanks to the fantastic sales! I am happy with Osmos though, neat little game.

Braid, simply put. It is beautiful as hell but christ the puzzles are quite non-sensical and in the beginning they do not hold your hand much at all and i was so frustrated by the lack of tutorial about the time shifting crap that i already have given up on the game for now.

Right now i have spent a little over 80 bucks for 15 games, not bad.

Budget a little more money and make sure i read up on reviews from gamers themselves about games before i jump impulsively and buy a game even if dirt cheap.

Rage :p

50 bux.

cory

Banned
Left 4 Dead. Except for the fact that I got a taste of melee weapons in the L4D2 demo.
2) What one Steam purchase from this sale are you least pleased with?
Beyond Good & Evil/Indigo Prophecy due to widescreen issues.
$67.70
I don't know.
WarCraft III Battle Chest
$14.99

kai3345

Banned
I'm hoping for:
The GTA3 era GTA games
Deus Ex
Star Wars: Republic Commando
Garry's Mod

Those last three are pretty cheap anyway, so if they don't get any cheaper I'll probably have to buy one or two before the sale ends.

Here they should put this one on sale just to get a rise out of people:
header.jpg

Actually, it looks interesting . . . I'd pick it up for $5.

Jirotrom

Slavik81 said:
Play the demos first.

I almost bought them based on a few vague, positive impressions in various places. At the last minute, I decided I'd try the demo first. It was a very, very good thing I did, because I didn't like either of them in the slightest.

The Nations part of it is free and was the part I liked the most, but over-all Trackmania is one of the better games I bought last year.
So united isnt worth it? its 20 right now, nations is awesome... does united let you customize a controller?

Def Jukie

I've got some Killing Floor and Shattered Horizon guest passes if anyone wants them. Just send me a pm with your e-mail address and what you would like.

JoeMartin

Brashnir said:
Telltale Everything Pack. Have only played Tales of Monkey Island so far, but it was one of the best game experiences I've had all year. Excited to play through the rest of the games soon.

Audiosurf. Had heard good thngs about the game but had my doubts. All my doubts were realized, plus playing the game made me physically ill.

about $100 on myself, plus another $150 on gifts for others

Nothing.

the Divinity games.

Divine Divinity - 10 bucks. Divinity 2 - $40. Maybe more if I clear out some of this sale backlog.

Divine Divinity is available on GOG for ~$5 right now.

GTA 4. All the games I got during the sale were great, but GTA 4 for 7.50 was an amazing price for an amazing game.

None. Every game i bought and every game that was gifted to me was a fantastic AAA game.

$21. That bought me GTA 4 ($7.59) and Crysis maximum edition ($13.50). Had both Mass Effect and Portal gifted to me.

Make sure I have at least $100 to spend on games. I missed out on so many deals I could have had and it would have been really nice if i could have gave a few gifts out as well.

Half-Life 3 and Counter-Strike 2.

I would trade my soul for those 2 games. Or 50 to 60 dollars. Whichever is cheapest.

dani_dc

Keyser Soze said:
Would buy

Dragon Age
Borderlands
The Witcher
Stalker

If they go up tomorrow at over 50% off
The Witcher is at 66% off right now, unless you mean 50% of it's current, already discounted, price =p

NG28

I regret passing on Shattered Horizon. At the time I figured I had enough FPS games, so instead I purchased Outrun 2006 which I don't really like :(

Dunlop

Keyser Soze said:
Would buy

Dragon Age
Borderlands
The Witcher
Stalker

I purchased Stalker a couple of days ago for $2.50, I don't think it's going to get any cheaper than that.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Torchlight and Trine have been great so far. Only played Trine for a little today but it looks great and the gameplay is pretty different than the typical games I play.
Killing Floor and Shattered Horizon. First impressions were underwhelming and I don't see myself coming back to these games. SH looks amazing though.

Almost 50 dollars, 20 of which were double dip for no disc convenience (Crysis + BF2)

Remember not to buy PC games until Steam sales.

5) What games would you most like to see on Steam?
Future Blizzard games I guess.

6) What would you pay for them?
$50

Twig

Banned
Keyser Soze said:
Would buy

Dragon Age
Borderlands
The Witcher
Stalker

Stalker and Dragon Age have already seen daily deals, I'm pretty sure.

Top Bottom