• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2009 Begins! (Dec 22nd - Jan 3rd)

dakilla13

1) What one Steam purchase you made during this sale are you the most pleased with? Why?

Torchlight, because that game is awesome.

2) What one Steam purchase from this sale are you least pleased with? Why?

Torchlight, only from a price standpoint, since I paid $10 and it dropped to $5 the next day.

3) How much did you spend on this sale? (Estimates are fine.)

$14, Torchlight + DoD: Source + Gifted Elf Bowling

4) What will you do differently next year?

Wait either for the daily deals or the last day for a game I want.

5) What game would you most like to see on Steam?

Baldur's Gate/NWN1,2/Planescape

6) What would you pay for it?

$5, because at that pricepoint I can't resist

nyong

Banned
Painkiller: Black is pretty damn awesome for $5. The tarot cards offer all sorts of replayable and the gameplay reminds me a lot of old-school Quake. I'll be playing this one for a long time.

Oh, and it runs at 1900 1200 in 32-bit W7. Get it.

Brashnir

dakilla13 said:
1) What one Steam purchase you made during this sale are you the most pleased with? Why?

Torchlight, because that game is awesome.

Torchlight, only from a price standpoint, since I paid $10 and it dropped to $5 the next day.

$14, Torchlight + DoD: Source + Gifted Elf Bowling

Wait either for the daily deals or the last day for a game I want.

Baldur's Gate/NWN1,2/Planescape

$5, because at that pricepoint I can't resist

You mean Icewind Dale 1 and 2? Only asking because of the order you listed them.

dani_dc

LucasArt Adventure pack, you just can't beat 4 classic point and click adventures for 2,25 euros.
Perhaps Time Gentlemen, Please!, Ben There, Dan That!, really only because I'm too used play point and click with VA. Barely played them though so my opinion on that might change.
16 euros (21 after I get Morrowind in a bit)
Skip on games I don't have time to play along the year and wait for the sales, unless it's something I really want and have time to play in the close future.
5) What games would you most like to see on Steam?
Money Island LeChuck's Revenge
6) What would you pay for them?
Up $5 ($10 if remaked).

speculawyer said:
Here they should put this one on sale just to get a rise out of people:
header.jpg

Actually, it looks interesting . . . I'd pick it up for $5.

That's a really good game. Had it since early this year and $5 would be a steal.

Loxley

I'll bite ;)

The Witcher, because I've been playing PC games for five years so shame on me for waiting this long to grab one of the best action-adventure RPG's in a long long time.

Republic Commando, because I know I'll never play it when I have other more prominent games in my backlog (such as The Witcher :D)

At this point I'd say around $60, could escalate significantly by the end of tomorrow.

Not buy ports of Star Wars console games I'll never touch :lol .

Hmm, I guess Baldur's Gate 1&2. Never played either of them, but I've heard nothing but amazing things.

No more than $9.99 for either.

Dunlop

Lkr said:
what server are you using?

I'm still a Steam noob so I'm not 100% sure how to check this, I remember looking at my profile at one point and it said I was using Toronto, Canada

I can't figure out atm where the hell I saw that screen, could be that I'm half asleep :D

In addition to the above, editing a message won't do much, since mods can see your edits.

Anyways, I'm not quite sure if I should get Morrowind. If I didn't like the world of Oblivion, would I like Morrowind? Is the world a bit more lively?

Dambrosi

Banned
Keyser Soze said:
Would buy

Dragon Age
Borderlands
The Witcher
Stalker

If they go up tomorrow at over 50% off
STALKER is available on the Aussie store for $1.49 still (go to http://store.steampowered.com/?cc=au and search for "stalker"). When you check out, make sure to change the country on your billing address to Australia. The transaction should go through, and you just got an even cheaper STALKER!

Oh, and don't forget to immediately mod it with the 2009 Complete pack (Google for it). Makes the game real purty-like, as well as fixing numerous bugs.

Lkr

Dunlop said:
I'm still a Steam noob so I'm not 100% sure how to check this, I remember looking at my profile at one point and it said I was using Toronto, Canada

I can't figure out atm where the hell I saw that screen, could be that I'm half asleep :D
File>Settings and then hit the Downloads tab. It should tell you your download region

kamspy

Lkr said:
File>Settings and then hit the Downloads tab. It should tell you your download region

The speeds you were mentioning getting a few posts back haven't been that uncommon for me with a few of my games since the sales started. I'm in Ohio and using the DC server.

I don't know exactly how they distribute the content but I only got really slow speeds on certain games. Others were the normal 1Mb+, some hovered around 150kps for a while. Crysis Warhead and The Witcher in my case.

Loxley

Farore said:
Opinions needed: how is Audiosurf?

Audiosurf is only as good as your Music/Audio library, so if you think your music is kick-ass, then Audiosurf in turn will be kick-ass :D I, for one, find it to be very kick-ass. You can essentially get infinite playability out of it.

Lkr

kamspy said:
The speeds you were mentioning getting a few posts back haven't been that uncommon for me with a few of my games since the sales started. I'm in Ohio and using the DC server.

I don't know exactly how they distribute the content but I only got really slow speeds on certain games. Others were the normal 1Mb+, some hovered around 150kps for a while. Crysis Warhead and The Witcher in my case.
Yeah, I was getting 1.9mbps on some games, which is normal for me with steam. Right now it is up to 1.4 so i'm happy it isnt at 160k anymore

Dambrosi

Banned
Farore said:
Opinions needed: how is Audiosurf? Is the LucasArt Adventure pack good?
I, personally, love Audiosurf like it's my long-lost sister from the Old Country, but that may be because I only ever play the Mono variant modes, Plus, the fun you get out of it is determined by the music you put in, and I've heard of some people getting motion sickness while playing it, so your mileage may vary. EDIT: Oh yeah, the Steam version comes with The Orange Box OST for free, so it's well worth the money.

I've never played any of the Lucasarts games, but they're supposed to be classics. I say leap at them both, if you've got the scratch.

dani_dc

Farore said:
Opinions needed: how is Audiosurf? Is the LucasArt Adventure pack good?
Audiosurf is great, plenty of modes and replay value (depending entirely on how many songs you have in your PC), though you might want to check the demo first.

LucasArt Adventure is great value, I only played Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis so far and it's been pretty good, the other ones are supposed to be solid.
Though I have to say this kind of games aren't for everyone (it can be an adquired tastes more than anything now a days), still, $2.50 for 1 great game and 3 solid ones, I say it's worth the risk unless you really can't afford it or the idea of pointing and reading a lot doesn't appeal to you at all.

Sloegr

Dambrosi said:
STALKER is available on the Aussie store for $1.49 still (go to http://store.steampowered.com/?cc=au and search for "stalker"). When you check out, make sure to change the country on your billing address to Australia. The transaction should go through, and you just got an even cheaper STALKER!

This seems like a risky method to use. Are you sure it wouldn't put his account at risk?

dani_dc

ElJuice said:
This seems like a risky method to use. Are you sure it wouldn't put his account at risk?
Well if he's worried I imagine he could make a second account and just use that method with his second account to gift his main account.

Though I don't use such methods of buying in other regions stores exactly for paranoias of the kind.

Dambrosi

Banned
ElJuice said:
That's possible, I suppose, but I don't see why they'd jack his account just for that. Seems a minor infraction at best, but I don't know the rules for such things.

I'll buy it myself and gift him the game if it comes to it.

Sloegr

dani_dc said:
Well if he's worried I imagine he could make a second account and just use that method with his second account to gift his main account.

Though I don't use that method of buying in other regions stores exactly for paranoias of the kind.

Yeah, I wouldn't use it either, even if I didn't already own STALKER. I'd just hate to see someone get really excited about the cheap price only to find that it leads to trouble for them down the line (even if it's just Steam taking the game away). If I'm wrong and it's an acceptable method, then I'll be happy to shut my trap.

Edit:

Dambrosi said:
That's possible, I suppose, but I don't see why they'd jack his account just for that. Seems a minor infraction at best, but I don't know the rules for such things.

I'll buy it myself and gift him the game if it comes to it.

They probably wouldn't. Though they could take the game away. I don't know the rules for it either, but someone could assume from your post that you do and that it is a perfectly fine thing to do. Just looking out for the lurkers :lol

aaaaaa

Farore said:
Is the LucasArt Adventure pack good?

Loom and Fate of Altantis are total classics. Temple of Doom has lousy fighting and stealth games but the other sections are great. The Dig is pretty staid and not one of their best, although it's still enjoyable with a walkthrough on hand.

Dambrosi

Banned
ElJuice said:
They probably wouldn't. Though they could take the game away. I don't know the rules for it either, but someone could assume from your post that you do and that it is a perfectly fine thing to do. Just looking out for the lurkers :lol
Ah, I see your point. But wouldn't taking the game off him be a violation of his statutory rights, since the game was paid for in full? And what would Valve (or the publisher) gain from that? I don't think they would, but I can see the possibility of it happening.

Either way, like I said before, I'm prepared to take that risk myself if necessary.

mm04

I just bought Trine. Damn you, Steam! Is there any kind of built in benchmark test for frames per second in this game?

Dambrosi said:

Oh, and don't forget to immediately mod it with the 2009 Complete pack (Google for it). Makes the game real purty-like, as well as fixing numerous bugs.

Could I get an Aussie to gift a copy to a friend of mine (I've already got it)? I'll paypal you.

mm04 said:
I just bought Trine. Damn you, Steam! Is there any kind of built in benchmark test for frames per second in this game?

Just use FRAPs ingame. Beware that AA has a super disproportionate impact on performance, its decently optimised outside of that. I

Slavik81

Dambrosi said:
Ah, I see your point. But wouldn't taking the game off him be a violation of his statutory rights, since the game was paid for in full? And what would Valve (or the publisher) gain from that? I don't think they would, but I can see the possibility of it happening.

Either way, like I said before, I'm prepared to take that risk myself if necessary.
When you pay, you click a checkbox saying that you live in the same territory as your billing address. If you've lied on that, then they can take action.

ATF487

The real solution would be to wait until Ausgaf is awake again, and ask in the thread if anyone could gift you Stalker. Overseas gifting is legal!

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
quick question has ghostbusters already hit the one day sale?

Need to know before I click buy in the next 10 seconds :lol

So there'll be another sale tomorrow? Cuz todays are pretty weak. However, can't say I'm unhappy. Made out with Civ 4, Both Max Paynes, Mass Effect, and the Jedi Knight series for the price of a single game. So awesome.

wenis said:
ok, cool. waiting for tomorrow then just in case.
You know it has unpatched bugs? Valve contacted Atari after we bitched for a refund and they said they were working on it. But it never came out. Atari doesn't reply to any of their support requests.

I have to reinstall a fresh OS to play past the opening level.

iammeiam

I just spent a good five or so hours playing The Void, and if it doesn't pop up as a daily special tomorrow I do think it's totally worth the $10 if the reviews made it sound interesting at all to you. I'd never played Pathologic, but read enough about it to know it was an intriguing concept concealed in a mediocre gameplay structure wrapped in a godawful translation. Thusfar, The Void is panning out to be an intriguing concept wrapped in an enjoyable game with (I think) a competent translation.

Graphics are solid, voice acting so far is decent, and things seem decently paced so far. Given how new the English release of the game is, 50% off isn't a bad deal by any measure.

Plus the publisher has a list of cheats to use if the color resource management gets old, which should make it relatively easy to play the game solely for the atmosphere/concepts if desired.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Visualante said:
You know it has unpatched bugs? Valve contacted Atari after we bitched for a refund and they said they were working on it. But it never came out. Atari doesn't reply to any of their support requests.

I have to reinstall a fresh OS to play past the opening level.

oh....eesh, well maybe I can purchase it now and wait for a patch before I install it. Might be a long shot, but I'd rather have it cheaply then pay 20 bucks later.

Top Bottom