• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2009 Begins! (Dec 22nd - Jan 3rd)

migulic

I still only bought the LucasArts Adventure Pack and Time Gentlemen, Please!, so I've been able to keep my purchases under €5 for now. I still have €13 to spend on my PayPal account though... I'm waiting for today's last set of daily deals; if nothing interesting comes up, I'll bite and get Europa Universalis III Complete for €12,49. Worth it?

So what are the best strategy games to get on steam? I want something that actually is supported with the developers, with an active community and that actually uses Steams functions (achievments, steam cloud, leaderboards, etc)?

I already own Empire: Total War.

Are there any alternatives than Warhammer II?

CecilRousso said:
So what are the best strategy games to get on steam? I want something that actually is supported with the developers, with an active community and that actually uses Steams functions (achievments, steam cloud, leaderboards, etc)?

I already own Empire: Total War.

Are there any alternatives than Warhammer II?

That's about it to be honest. AI War: Fleet Command is a seriously badass strategy game and has steam cheevs, will be getting regular content upgrades for quite a long time judging from the developers statements and (more importantly) track record of additions and patches.

No leaderboards/matchmaking though, which makes sense given that a full co-op game literally takes six or more hours to play. Better to do that through forums of IM/IRC, where there is a small but vibrant MP community through Arcen Games' website.

If you're willing to extend your definition of strategy games to tower defense, Defense Grid: The Awakening has achievements and leader boards. There is rumor on their boards of additional content to come but no fixed schedule on that. No multiplayer though.

I would find limiting my strategy gaming to Steam-enhanced releases to be a very unsatisfactory experience.

Ledsen

To everyone who bought Morrowind, here are the most up-to-date and best mod lists:

This thread gives you most of the links you need. Make you sure you read through the whole thread!

http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/index.php?showtopic=1060141

I would recommend starting with this link (also linked in the thread above) for graphic mods:

http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/index.php?showtopic=956115

and this link for most other types of mods (again, also linked in the thread above):

http://www.mwmythicmods.com/Gluby/Gluby_Main.htm

The graphics mod list I linked is from May but as far as I know the most current one. Always look to the Bethesda forums -> Morrowind Mods if you want the most current modding news and help, the scene is still very active and new things are happening every day.

I would not recommend a first-time player to add huge sweeping mods like Pumamans Giants, Adventurers and the like (I think someone recommended them earlier in this thread), they change way too much and in my opinion can ruin the look and feel of the game (mainly Giants). Start with the graphics thread I linked above, the graphics are the most important thing to fix. Then check out Gluby's Comprehensive Guides and choose sparingly the mods you feel would add the most to your game and that keep the spirit of the original game. Don't overdo it or you may turn the game into a huge mess of unnecessary add-ons. Morrowind is not as fundamentally broken as Oblivion and aside from the graphics and the clunky combat, the game is still enjoyable without a ton of mods.

I´m not sure about Defense Grid, since I really don´t like Tower Defence games.

And by the way, I have asked this before, but why doesn´t any of you buy Altitude? Its one of the most fun and satisfying multiplayer games of 2009, with great on going support from the developers. Its in my top 10 list of 2009 games.

Dambrosi

Banned
rossonero said:
I missed out on ME for €3.75?!?!?!?!
Your fault for having a life? :lol

Mr. Spinnington said:
i'm betting that MW2 goes up at 50% off. i'm betting it right now

the internet will lose its shit and proclaim steam as gods or something
No, you forget, it's Activision.

We'll be lucky if it even gets 10% off
and the sheeple will buy it anyway

Mr. Spinnington said:

I don't think COD4 has gone on sale yet either...

Ledsen

Jirotrom said:
no... but im starting to doubt the validity of the professional reviews
. Ive never seen such a stark difference between critic and people reviews... wow

Far Cry 2 is my GOTY 2008, and one of the best open world games I ever played. Believe the hype, the game is absolutely amazing. It really is a game you either "get" or you don't though, something that Chris Remo (of Gamasutra and Idle Thumbs fame) explains very well in this blog post. If you do "get it", it'll be one of the best gaming experiences of your life. If you don't, you'll probably hate it. I like this part of the post:

Chris Remo said:
One doesn’t really appreciate Far Cry 2’s attention to detail in that regard until the time has been invested to generate enough of the unique moments that result.

This really is the key. The game needs time to grow, to lure you into it's beautifully crafted world. Don't quit after a couple of hours, keep going. You won't regret it.

fresquito

1) What one Steam purchase you made during this sale are you the most pleased with? Why?
Hard to tell, really. Either Defense Grid: The Awakening or Street Fighter IV. The first is the best in price/quality. The second is great n o matter how you look at it and I was missing a good fighter.

2) What one Steam purchase from this sale are you least pleased with? Why?
Probably Beyond Good & Evil. There're some graphical problems I had to overcome to make it run properly, and that means getting rid of any AA, which sucks. Then there's no control pad support, so I had to use Xpadder and configure it myself. Now that I've done that, I've got no other complain about this awesome game that I love so much.

I'd like to note that Outrun2006, even when not a disappointment, lacks any online component, which sucks and scores and times aren't recorded because you can't create an online account. Game is a blast anyway.

3) How much did you spend on this sale? (Estimates are fine.)
35€ and only Fallout GOTY will make me spend more.

4) What will you do differently next year?
Nothing, really. I will be getting these small games that are cheap and I play along the year that this year I didn't pick up.

5) What games would you most like to see on Steam?
Can't tell.

6) What would you pay for them?
Depends on the game and what I'm playing and other stuff that I take into consideration every time I buy a game.

Rlan

Mr. Spinnington said:

Call Of Duty 4 and World At War held up their 50-60 dollar price for so long at retail, there's no way the game will have a price drop anytime soon. Even on the PC. No need for it whatsoever.

I think I mentioned it before, but I'd love to see The Ship pop up for $1 for a day. It's not even a part of this Steam Holiday specials.

Polk

Rlan said:
Call Of Duty 4 and World At War held up their 50-60 dollar price for so long at retail, there's no way the game will have a price drop anytime soon. Even on the PC. No need for it whatsoever.
Well, they had at least two deals on CoD:WAW. So deal on MW1 isn't that impossible.

Mr. Spinnington said:

I'll take up that bet. How much are you willing to stump up? I like free money/games.

I don't need it personally, but I'd really like to see a discount on Risen go up. I think it's the sort of game that would benefit in the long run from a larger audience of people talking about it and playing through it.

Personally, I'd like a discount on the Blood Bowl game that was recently released on Steam. My friend has been bugging me for months to buy it and get in his league but I've been stubborn about it since I've been playing other stuff.

Sanjay

Jirotrom said:
no... but im starting to doubt the validity of the professional reviews
. Ive never seen such a stark difference between critic and people reviews... wow

I really liked the game starting off then the constant re-spawning enemies and repetitive of that nature just killed it for me.

Magni

I'm hoping Batman: AA goes on sale, right now it's at 33 euros but I'm afraid to buy it and see it at 20 or something tomorrow.

It runs fine on PC, right?

Dennis

Banned
Fragamemnon said:
I don't need it personally, but I'd really like to see a discount on Risen go up. I think it's the sort of game that would benefit in the long run from a larger audience of people talking about it and playing through it.

Personally, I'd like a discount on the Blood Bowl game that was recently released on Steam. My friend has been bugging me for months to buy it and get in his league but I've been stubborn about it since I've been playing other stuff.
Yes, indeed.

MagniHarvald said:
I'm hoping Batman: AA goes on sale, right now it's at 33 euros but I'm afraid to buy it and see it at 20 or something tomorrow.

It runs fine on PC, right?

There's a Steam demo. It's the best version technically, sans the PS3 exclusive Joker DLC.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I'd love to see a Steam version of Grim Fandango that actually runs correctly on my XP/Win7 PC. :(

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
I am seeing this on the Mass Effect product page:

Oops, this is embarrassing. Due to high demand we have temporarily run out of unique keys for this title. You may, by all means, purchase at the awesome sale price but may not be able to play until we receive more unique product keys. It shouldn't take too long, we have sent armed guards to the publisher's house to get them out of bed, drive them to their secret lair and produce more keys.

Hopefully it won't prevent me from playing the game, got it yesterday.

Mr. Spinnington said:

:lol

Magni

wackojackosnose said:
There's a Steam demo. It's the best version technically, sans the PS3 exclusive Joker DLC.

Alright, thanks, but does the GFWL work correctly? I haven't had the best experiences with it yet (see the thread I just posted) =/

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
MagniHarvald said:
Alright, thanks, but does the GFWL work correctly? I haven't had the best experiences with it yet (see the thread I just posted) =/
I had no issues at all with my Steam copy of Batman I bought back when it was released.

You should be a-ok.

I know there is going to be some SUPER AWESOME deal today... on the one day that I'm completely broke. The only thing I REALLY want is Fallout 3 GOTY, and knowing my luck, it'll go on sale.

Ah well. Teaches me to not buy so many games at once. :lol

I added up all my purchases during the sale and came up with a total of $96.26. So much for saving a lot of money during this sale.

If The Witcher finally goes up for sale, I'm going to blow right past the $100 mark. Sigh. Saving money is going to make me destitute. :lol

I want a deal on Dragon Age, but I've been wanting a good deal on the PC version for a while now. And at the same time I've bought so much, I don't want it at all :lol.

Spwn

Phaethon0017 said:
I want a deal on Dragon Age, but I've been wanting a good deal on the PC version for a while now. And at the same time I've bought so much, I don't want it at all :lol.

STEAM HOLIDAY SALE: DAY FOUR
December 26, 2009

Dragon Age: Origins and its Digital Deluxe Edition - 25% Off

Smash88

Banned
Man I've stayed up all night playing ME, now 3 hours left until the final *cough* mega *cough* sale.

Although I did sleep a bit earlier the previous night. I'm sick and can't sleep. :(

Hopefully it will end with a bang! Literally or figuratively, either way will be fun to watch. :lol

kswiston

Spwn said:
STEAM HOLIDAY SALE: DAY FOUR
December 26, 2009

Dragon Age: Origins and its Digital Deluxe Edition - 25% Off

Yeah, Dragon Age won't be any cheaper than 25% for a few more months. At least on digital distribution. It is still selling well at full price.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
I am down to my last five bucks, if nothing really good comes today i'll just get Rome: Total war gold and maybe sniper elite.

Minsc

Gold Member
Today's the last day!

Time to get your wallets ready, and break out for all those games you're holding out for that didn't make the list before the deals are gone completely!

Brashnir said:
Thanks, but the reason I like Steam is that it keeps all my games in one place. I'm trying to avoid having to deal with multiple download services. Plus, I don't really need more crap to play right now.

Hey, didn't you say you wanted it to come out? Well, I'm not sure if it does come out on Steam it'd be the newly upgraded version Lorian studios put out, that's all rolled in to GoG's version FYI. It's not flawless, but when it working (most of the time) the high res widescreen resolutions are quite beautiful.

You can add non steam games to your list you know right? Then you'd have them all in one place. You don't really have "to deal with multiple services" since GoG's downloads are no different then say downloading a movie off the web, there's no additional program to install and manage the games or anything like Steam, they're just self-contained games, and that's it.

It's not like Steam games are trouble-free either, you'll end up having to figure out how to patch steam games, which happens more than people like to admit, a few Steam games don't even have any Windows 7 support at all, without workarounds, like Max Payne, King's Quest 7, KOTOR is pretty awful too, so I've had to invest time to figure out how to get them working.

Anyway, that's enough of that, you really should look in to venturing in to other places, Steam is great, but it's limited in it's selection for sure.

Benedict

Unknown Soldier said:
I added up all my purchases during the sale and came up with a total of $96.26. So much for saving a lot of money during this sale.

If The Witcher finally goes up for sale, I'm going to blow right past the $100 mark. Sigh. Saving money is going to make me destitute. :lol

The Witcher has already a 75% discount. You really think it will be lower?
Don't think so myself, so I just bought it.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
K.Jack said:
Fallout 3 GOTY
F.E.A.R. 2

Make it so!
Please not Fear 2! I already got it for 55% off when it was new! I'd be happier with a refund for those of us who bought the DLC at full price :lol.

eznark

Banned
Minsc said:
Is nothing new for them, I'm sure they just didn't want Steam to feel left out, as they shipped out retail boxes of the game with incorrect serials numbers and didn't offer any good support to fix the issue other than guess the correct serial number.
Wait, they never fixed it? So what am I supposed to do? I assume someone figured out some sort of workaround.

Also, how do I view the serial number that I have? Steam retardedly wants a picture of the serial when I contact them.

ArjanN said:
I had no problems until about halfway into the game. Then it crashed and now it won't start at all any more. It's like that for tons of people. The game is downright broken.
Weird. I'm 3/4 way through at the castle on the island.

Top Bottom