• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2009 Begins! (Dec 22nd - Jan 3rd)

Minsc

Gold Member
eznark said:
Wait, they never fixed it? So what am I supposed to do? I assume someone figured out some sort of workaround.

Also, how do I view the serial number that I have? Steam retardedly wants a picture of the serial when I contact them.

I guessed mine correctly, but they only offered me the choice of forfeiting my multi-player by giving me an invalid multi-player but working single-player key, which may or may not work when the game got patched. My other choices were to return the game or guess, so I guess kept installing the thing over and over until I guessed the right character.

I imagine Steam will have more pull with them then a single person though, so you'll probably get working keys re-issued I'd guess.

wackojackosnose said:
I'm quite proud that I haven't bought anything at all in this Steam sale.

I'll break for Batman at about ~£12, though I really doubt that'll happen.
Why do you post on a vg board if you don't like them??

Zzoram

Mr. Spinnington said:
i'm betting that MW2 goes up at 50% off. i'm betting it right now

the internet will lose its shit and proclaim steam as gods or something

No, if anything MW2 would go for 10% off, but realistically it won't.

Easy_D said:
Please not Fear 2! I already got it for 55% off when it was new! I'd be happier with a refund for those of us who bought the DLC at full price :lol.

Was the DLC that bad? I was thinking of picking up the retail edition cheap, but was holding off for a cheap GOTY edition. Might just pickup the game solus in that case.

eznark

Banned
Minsc said:
I guessed mine correctly, but they only offered me the choice of forfeiting my multi-player by giving me an invalid multi-player but working single-player key, which may or may not work when the game got patched. My other choices were to return the game or guess, so I guess kept installing the thing over and over until I guessed the right character.

I imagine Steam will have more pull with them then a single person though, so you'll probably get working keys re-issued I'd guess.
I never even had the option of entering a serial, and I cannot find it in Steam.

Benedict

So far I've bought:
Mr Robot
Jade Empire
Killing Floor (gift)
Osmos
Sid Meier's Civ IV
Sid Meier's Civ IV Beyond the Sword
MultiWinia + Darwinia
Braid
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Clear Sky (EU)
Morrowind Game of the Year
Time Gentlemen, Please! + Ben There Dan That
Outrun2006 Coast 2 Coast
Max Payne Bundle
The Witcher Enhanced Edition

Hoping to see a deal on Tales of Monkey Island and Left for Dead 2 today.

Edit: I had already bought KOTOR for €2.24, Mass Effect for €7.49 and STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl for €5 earlier this autumn

CecilRousso said:
And by the way, I have asked this before, but why doesn´t any of you buy Altitude? Its one of the most fun and satisfying multiplayer games of 2009, with great on going support from the developers. Its in my top 10 list of 2009 games.
Will pick up for $5. $7.5 . . . need more convincing.

AppleBlade

So has anybody spent more than I have so far? I looked at my recent purchases and these are all the purchases I've made during this sale so far:

$68.94
Trine
Painkiller: Collectors Pack (NA)
Machinarium,
Star Wars: KOTOR,
Splintercell: Chaos Theory,
Sid Meier's Pirates!,
Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena,
Dark Sector (NA),
Ghostbusters: The Videogame,
Second Sight

$19.98
Sam and Max Season One + Two Pack
Mass Effect

$19.01
Half-Life 1: Source,
Crysis Complete (NA),
Multiwinia + Darwinia

$14.28
Sid Meier's Civilization IV, Left 4 Dead

$4.99
Bioshock (NA)

$10.19
Dead Space

$10.97
Broken Sword: The Sleeping Dragon
Overlord
Dark Messiah of Might and Magic

$49.91
Braid
Rome: Total War Gold
Oddworld Abes Oddysee and Exoddus package
Medieval II: Total War
Beyond Good and Evil
SplinterCell: Double Agent
Torchlight
Killing Floor
Plants vs. Zombies

$74.99
THQ Complete Pack which includes:
Company of Heroes
Company of Heroes: Opposing Fronts
Company of Heroes: Tales of Valor
Frontlines: Fuel of War
Full Spectrum Warrior
Full Spectrum Warrior: Ten Hammers
Juiced 2: Hot Import Nights
Red Faction
Red Faction Guerrilla
Red Faction II
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl
Saints Row 2
Titan Quest
Titan Quest: Immortal Throne
Warhammer 40,000 Dawn of War - Dark Crusade
Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War - Gold Edition
Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War - Soul Storm
Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II​

$49.99
Eidos Collector Pack
Batman: Arkham Asylum
Battlestations Pacific
Battlestations Midway
Conflict: Denied Ops
Deus Ex: Game of the Year Eidtion
Deus Ex: Invisible War
Flora's Fruit Farm
Hitman 2: Silent Assassin
Hitman: Blood Money
Hitman: Codename 47
Infernal
Just Cause
Kane & Lynch
Mini Ninjas
Project Snowblind
Rogue Trooper
Thief: Deadly Shadows
Tomb Raider: Legend
Tomb Raider: Underworld​

$13.59
The Witcher: Enhanced Edition

Grand Total: 336.84

szaromir

Banned
MrVargas said:
So has anybody spent more than I have so far? I looked at my recent purchases and these are all the purchases I've made during this sale so far:

Great way to create backlog you're never going to play.

Wes

venison crêpe
Is that EVE Online: Dominion for £3.75 part of the sale or is it always such a low price? Thats mighty tempting!

Edit: just realised how stupid my question was D:

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Bah after a long ass download Mass Effect won't run since it crashes right after startup, i think it might be my crappy intel notebook video card that is causing the crashing. It blows but i can always play it again once i get a "real" computer plus i already have a lot of games to play.

Smash88

Banned
Gexecuter said:
Bah after a long ass download Mass Effect won't run since it crashes right after startup, i think it might be my crappy intel notebook video card that is causing the crashing. It blows but i can always play it again once i get a "real" computer plus i already have a lot of games to play.

* WINDOWS VISTA OR WINDOWS 7 USERS: Launching “Mass Effect” from Steam requires the setting “Run as Administrator”. If the User Account Control feature of Windows Vista is enabled, launching “Mass Effect” from Steam will result in failure. For users with User Account Control enabled, launch Steam using the “Run as Administrator” option or launch from the windows shortcut.

Could this be the problem?

--------------------------------------------------------
Oops, this is embarrassing. Due to high demand we have temporarily run out of unique keys for this title. You may, by all means, purchase at the awesome sale price but may not be able to play until we receive more unique product keys. It shouldn't take too long, we have sent armed guards to the publisher's house to get them out of bed, drive them to their secret lair and produce more keys.

Mass Effect SOLD OUT!

That is three games sold out thus far.

Raxus

MrVargas said:

Either way consider 5 games plus tax is worth about as much if he even gets 50-100 hours of gameplay from those purchases he has paid good money for what he got.

Plus, I am totally jealous.

Dina said:
He's half right. I bought some games I'm never going to finish (Lucasarts Adventure Pack, Cogs, maybe Lumines).
He's right, I've bought tons of games I'll never have the time to play but, for the prices listed, I couldn't NOT buy them. Such good deals.

MrVargas said:

Haven't summed it up but Im around there.

Smash88

Banned
speculawyer said:
Haven't summed it up but Im around there.

I wouldn't be surprised if you hit $500. :lol

All I see every daily deal: speculawyer now owns: EVERYTHING STEAM PUTS ON DAILY DEALS! :lol

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Yasser said:
i have those already. i really want gta3, vc, and sa and the first 2 happen to be part of that pack

Though i have the PC version of Vice City, i'd Love III and SA.

szaromir

Banned
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Someone is bitter...
I'm not. I used to have a big pile games bought on various deals, but I gave up doing so because I was never going to play these games. Instead, I now buy a game whenever I feel like it, even if it means full price (which I rarely do anyway because I rarely buy games during release window). At least the developers will get my money for their effort and I'll feel I paid for something actually useful.

I have to admit, the Steam Holiday deals finally pushed me over and I bought Braid for €2,49.

AppleBlade

szaromir said:
Great way to create backlog you're never going to play.
Well, I look at it like this. for less than $340 I purchased about 70 games (give or take depending on how you count episodic games and expansions). I'm interested in all of these games (except for a few that were part of the packages) for one reason or another. Though out the course of the next year I'll have a vast library of games on Steam to satisfy whatever kind of game I feel like playing (RPG's, shooters, adventure, racing, strategy, etc.). If I play through even a 3rd of the games I purchased that would be about 23 games. Now these 23 games are not going to be ho-hum experiences, they'll be great experiences. Why? Because if I am not enjoying myself I'll have a ton of other titles to pick from. Now 23+ great gaming experiences for about the price of 5 full priced PS3/360 games seems like a good value to me.

nyong

Banned
MrVargas said:
So has anybody spent more than I have so far?

Freedom Pack
Overlord
Ghost Master
Painkiller: Black Edition
Doom 3 Pack
Trials 2: Second Edition
Sam and Max Season One + Two Pack
Mass Effect
Crysis Complete (NA)
Left 4 Dead
Sid Meier's Civilization IV: The Complete Edition
Osmos
Jade Empire
Killing Floor
Indigo Prophecy
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Clear Sky (ROW)
Sniper Elite
Bioshock (NA)
Space Siege
Prey
Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena
Rome: Total War Gold
Trine
Shadowgrounds Survivor and Shadowgrounds
Torchlight
The Last Remnant (SEI)
Medieval II: Total

TOTAL: $141.36

While you have me beat by a healthy margin, this is the most amount of money I have spent on games at one time in years. Looking at this list, all at the cost of less than 3 new PC titles, summons up two different feelings. 1) What a bargain!, and 2) I will never finish all of these games.

The coolest thing about these sales is that I get to try games I was on the fence with or overlooked for whatever reason. I never, ever would have purchased most of these without the Steam sale. Frankly, I can't see myself purchasing PC games period - with precious few exceptions (Blizzard) - unless it's offered through Steam. I'm sold.

Minsc

Gold Member
szaromir said:
I'm not. I used to have a big pile games bought on various deals, but I gave up doing so because I was never going to play these games. Instead, I now buy a game whenever I feel like it, even if it means full price (which I rarely do anyway because I rarely buy games during release window). At least the developers will get my money for their effort and I'll feel I paid for something actually useful.

I have to admit, the Steam Holiday deals finally pushed me over and I bought Braid for €2,49.

Research on Steam has shown that buying the games during the holiday or super sales can bring more money to developers than even the launch week of sales (due to the vast increase in # of purchases), which is almost unheard of. So if you just care about giving developers your money, just continue buying everything at cheap prices, and it'll work out for everyone! :)

Mass effect sold out? :lol

I understand the Doomsday scenario with DD services, but I think they should think up a new system for the keys.

kswiston

hahaha. Anyone with the popcap collection notice that typer shark is glitched in Win7 64bit?

I played for maybe 20mins last night, then exited the game. Tried to start a game on steam this morning, and it said I already running a game. I checked my community profile, and it showed me as currently playing typer shark, something that Steam thinks I have been doing for the last 12 hours. Sure enough, when I checked control panel, popcapgame1.exe was running.

So now I have 12 hours of Typer Shark logged on my account. Wonder if any of my friends thought I was a Typer Shark fiend last night and this morning.

Top Bottom