• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2009 Begins! (Dec 22nd - Jan 3rd)

Oli

Linkzg said:
An hour until the final sale. It's the final countdown.

Still hoping for that Machinarium drop.

If it doesn't, should I get it for $10? I loved the demo, but is the full game good?

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Smash88 said:
* WINDOWS VISTA OR WINDOWS 7 USERS: Launching “Mass Effect” from Steam requires the setting “Run as Administrator”. If the User Account Control feature of Windows Vista is enabled, launching “Mass Effect” from Steam will result in failure. For users with User Account Control enabled, launch Steam using the “Run as Administrator” option or launch from the windows shortcut.

Could this be the problem?

--------------------------------------------------------
Oops, this is embarrassing. Due to high demand we have temporarily run out of unique keys for this title. You may, by all means, purchase at the awesome sale price but may not be able to play until we receive more unique product keys. It shouldn't take too long, we have sent armed guards to the publisher's house to get them out of bed, drive them to their secret lair and produce more keys.

Mass Effect SOLD OUT!

That is three games sold out thus far.

I am using windows 7 and i already ran the game as an administrator and it still crashes, all i see is a black screen after running the game and then bam! crash. I also tried running the game in different compatibility modes like XP and it still crashes.

mrgone

CecilRousso said:
This should be enough to convince you to drop a couple of bucks more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kqh7DRBcz4

Those who spent more than $100 and still missed this gem have made an error. :D

I've been waiting to see if there's a steeper discount on it, myself. Been interested in it since Giant Bomb had a quick look and Dave invoked the name of SubSpace to describe the game. I reallllly miss vanilla SubSpace. Altitude looks like fun in the same vein.

Oli said:
Still hoping for that Machinarium drop.

If it doesn't, should I get it for $10? I loved the demo, but is the full game good?

Just get it now. A price drop below the price it has now is an insult towards the developer. Its one the best adventure games released this decade.

Gexecuter said:
I am using windows 7 and i already ran the game as an administrator and it still crashes, all i see is a black screen after running the game and then bam! crash. I also tried running the game in different compatibility modes like XP and it still crashes.

You said you were running a shit Intel integrated card? How up to date are the drivers for said shit "card"?

eznark

Banned
CecilRousso said:
Just get it now. A price drop below the price it has now is an insult towards the developer. Its one the best adventure games released this decade.
Uh, didn't the developer themselves put it on sale in a package with one of their other games for $10. Effectively making it a $5 game?

eznark said:
Uh, didn't the developer themselves put it on sale in a package with one of their other games for $10. Effectively making it a $5 game?

Why don't you just go to his house and have sex with his wife?

Food off the table snatching bastard.

3rdman

Gexecuter said:
Strange...I ran the game a couple of times last night with no issues and I'm running W7 x64.

AppleBlade

gregor7777 said:
You said you were running a shit Intel integrated card? How up to date are the drivers for said shit "card"?
You're trying to play Mass Effect on integrated graphics? I don't even think it would run. You should try Jade Empire, Knights of the Old Republic, or Morrowind if you want some WRPG action that is playable on an integrated gpu.

Volcynika

CecilRousso said:

Pretty sure Valve has to get the permission from the publisher/dev or whatever to do their temporary prices, so they'd have to allow it.

eznark

Banned
gregor7777 said:
Why don't you just go to his house and have sex with his wife?

Food off the table snatching bastard.
Pft, I didn't even buy it at that price. I guess somehow that is less of an insult?

MNC

Company of Heroes + Red Alert 3, are they good for an RTS fix? Also, is Opposing Fronts a must as well?

MrVargas said:
You're trying to play Mass Effect on integrated graphics? I don't even think it would run. You should try Jade Empire, Knights of the Old Republic, or Morrowind if you want some WRPG action that is playable on an integrated gpu.

Yeah, ME isn't exactly the most optimized game in the world either. I wouldn't expect it to run on an intel integrated system at all.

eznark said:
Pft, I didn't even buy it at that price. I guess somehow that is less of an insult?

:D

mrgone

MNC said:
Company of Heroes + Red Alert 3, are they good for an RTS fix? Also, is Opposing Fronts a must as well?

I've been going back and forth on these too. Both C&C 3 and Red Alert 3 are discounted, as well as the expansions. I'm trying to resist.. other sales, there will be other sales. Deep breath

I bit the bullet on C&C: RA3, it's going to be worth the price for the videos alone. Even past that, it had a good tutorial, the interface seem simple enough for me to try to crack it (although the tutorial didn't mention things like building bases and such, that worries me).

Prey hasn't restocked since it sold out, I guess they're saving it for the final day. In a way, it would be nice if they said that the last day was every prior sale for the Holiday sale, and one or two more heavy hitters. I'd like a crack at that Star Wars pack again.

MNC

mrgone said:
I've been going back and forth on these too. Both C&C 3 and Red Alert 3 are discounted, as well as the expansions. I'm trying to resist.. other sales, there will be other sales. Deep breath
If anything, it's going to be the vanilla ones :D I never cared for expansion... I havent played a proper RTS in years...

Sanjay

MNC said:

COH lets you play as the Americans and Wehrmacht factions, Opposing Fronts introduces the British and Panzer Elite, 2 new factions. Tales of Valor introduces new modes and units. Also they all include new campaigns stuff too of course.

Hugbot

We still doing these? In anticipation of the final sale, I guess I'll bite.

1) What one Steam purchase you made during this sale are you the most pleased with? Why?

Shattered Horizon. Came in expecting a mediocre game from a benchmarking company, left incredibly pleased with floating around in space and shooting people. Great game.

2) What one Steam purchase from this sale are you least pleased with? Why?

Sam & Max Complete Pack. I owned Season One already and really just wanted an option to buy Season 2 for $7.50. I know it's silly, but I decided I'd have bought Season 2 if it was on sale for 15, so went ahead and bit.

3) How much did you spend on this sale? (Estimates are fine.)

Roundabout $150, including gifts.

4) What will you do differently next year?

Plan for the expense better. I know it's coming every year and forget about it until mid December.

5) What game would you most like to see on Steam?

The System Shocks. The Systems Shock. I missed the boat on these and I'd really like an option to play them that isn't ebay or piracy. Until they're available somewhere digitally I am pretty much stuck.

6) What would you pay for it?

No more than $15 for 1, up to $40 for 2. $50 for the pack seems reasonable.

AppleBlade

Kulock said:
In a way, it would be nice if they said that the last day was every prior sale for the Holiday sale, and one or two more heavy hitters.
That would be a great idea. I think it would be effective too because you can see even in this thread there are a good number of people who wish they bit on a deal when they had a chance or somehow missed a particular deal. I know I would bite on Mirror's Edge and Street Fighter IV if they put those back up.

eznark

Banned
Kulock said:
I bit the bullet on C&C: RA3, it's going to be worth the price for the videos alone. Even past that, it had a good tutorial, the interface seem simple enough for me to try to crack it (although the tutorial didn't mention things like building bases and such, that worries me).

Prey hasn't restocked since it sold out, I guess they're saving it for the final day. In a way, it would be nice if they said that the last day was every prior sale for the Holiday sale, and one or two more heavy hitters. I'd like a crack at that Star Wars pack again.
Did you have a problem logging in with RA3?

szaromir

Banned
Minsc said:
Research on Steam has shown that buying the games during the holiday or super sales can bring more money to developers than even the launch week of sales (due to the vast increase in # of purchases), which is almost unheard of. So if you just care about giving developers your money, just continue buying everything at cheap prices, and it'll work out for everyone! :)
I don't doubt that, that's why these promotions are made. It's just that I don't like buyng things I don't (currently) need just because they are on sale and I might need/enjoy them in a distant future.
MrVargas said:
Well, I look at it like this. for less than $340 I purchased about 70 games (give or take depending on how you count episodic games and expansions). I'm interested in all of these games (except for a few that were part of the packages) for one reason or another. Though out the course of the next year I'll have a vast library of games on Steam to satisfy whatever kind of game I feel like playing (RPG's, shooters, adventure, racing, strategy, etc.). If I play through even a 3rd of the games I purchased that would be about 23 games. Now these 23 games are not going to be ho-hum experiences, they'll be great experiences. Why? Because if I am not enjoying myself I'll have a ton of other titles to pick from. Now 23+ great gaming experiences for about the price of 5 full priced PS3/360 games seems like a good value to me.
That's a good strategy and enjoy your Holiday purchases. Though I enjoy having only 1 or 2 games at once because I know I'll play them until I'm totally done with them.

Takeda Kenshi

blew Staal
Fragamemnon said:
That's about it to be honest. AI War: Fleet Command is a seriously badass strategy game and has steam cheevs, will be getting regular content upgrades for quite a long time judging from the developers statements and (more importantly) track record of additions and patches.

No leaderboards/matchmaking though, which makes sense given that a full co-op game literally takes six or more hours to play. Better to do that through forums of IM/IRC, where there is a small but vibrant MP community through Arcen Games' website.

If you're willing to extend your definition of strategy games to tower defense, Defense Grid: The Awakening has achievements and leader boards. There is rumor on their boards of additional content to come but no fixed schedule on that. No multiplayer though.

I would find limiting my strategy gaming to Steam-enhanced releases to be a very unsatisfactory experience.

Any impressions on Port Royale 2 or Darkstar One?

Counter-Strike: Source 5$
Trine 5$
Mass Effect 5$
Bioshock 5$
Day of Defeat: Source $2.50
Lumines Base + Advance Pack $2.50
Torchlight $5
Mirror's Edge $5.00
Star Wars: KOTOR $2.50

TOTAL: 37.50 for some of my favorite games of all time :D Steam is god

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
According to windows 7 all of my drivers are up to date but after doing some digging i found that there's a driver more up to date on Intel's site, i am gonna try it tough i doubt something will change. For reference my video card appears to be a Mobile Intel GL40 Express Chipset.

EDIT: Updating my video card drivers did nothing, Mass Effect still crashes D:

Magni

1) What one Steam purchase you made during this sale are you the most pleased with? Why?

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. I'd been waiting for a while to play this one, the price point was, uhm, perfect :lol , and so far I'm greatly enjoying it (with the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Complete mod).

2) What one Steam purchase from this sale are you least pleased with? Why?

Rainbow Six 3 Gold, I can't get it running full screen yet, although to be honest I've been playing so much S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and Crysis lately that I haven't had the time to look into it seriously.

3) How much did you spend on this sale? (Estimates are fine.)

15 euros, five games. (If Anno and Arkham Asylum don't drop in twenty minutes, I'll be spending sixty more euros)

4) What will you do differently next year?

More of the same I guess.

5) What game would you most like to see on Steam?

Any that aren't there yet?

6) What would you pay for it?

5 euros, and up to 30 for GOTY material (Arkane this year for example)

yacobod

Banned
not sure if there will be anything worth getting today, so this will be most likely my haul for the sale

medieval II: total war 4.99
civ 4 complete 13.60
bioshock 4.99
stalker 1.99
rome: total war 2.49
braid 2.49

30.55 total, not bad

kennah

I have spent 127 so far, and am planning another 100 today.

This thread is going to turn into a addictions support group soon.

Kulock said:
I haven't tried it yet. The drive Steam's on doesn't have enough space. Plenty on other drives, but I'm on XP, so I can't do the redirect trick.

I thought you could do it simply by downloading some program. I'll try to find it.

mclem

MrVargas said:
So has anybody spent more than I have so far?

I haven't totalled up my numbers, but I suspect when I combine my GOG and Steam spending it'll come to something like that.

I have a bit of a problem that when I see something that I'm even only vaguely interested in for less than about £4, I lose all critical faculties and go into "well, what the heck" mode and buy it anyway.

Having said that, I've been having a great time with Cogs and Mr. Robot, so I guess it's worked out alright in the end.

noisome07

Banned
joesmokey said:
Come on Borderlands!

Lets get some final guesses up in this bitch!

Borderlands (20$)
Valve Complete Pack (50$)
The Witcher (5$)
Dirt 2 (20$)
The Force Unleashed (20$)

Yea, a bit over the top but it's the last day, come on bombshells!!

Ezahn

Please, help me resist the urge to last-minute-buy the Eidos pack.
I bought a legit Batman AA code from g2play.net but never managed to finish the game since It was impossible to find a REAL clone-copy of the game dvd... :-(

I only have Hitman Blood Money.

Pleeeeeeaseeeeee (do you hear the soft cute voice of my wallett?) ^^

Dambrosi

Banned
crimsonheadGCN said:
I thought you could do it simply by downloading some program. I'll try to find it.
I would be interested in this too. In fact, every Steam user still on XP should be.

EDIT: OH SHIT FIVE MINUTES TO GO OH MY GOD

Top Bottom