• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2009 Begins! (Dec 22nd - Jan 3rd)

Dambrosi

Banned
...Hold on, most of these "deals" are WORSE than their predecessors. Wasn't L4D £6.49 last time? Nevermind, it's L4D2 :lol And I'm very sure indeed that STALKER was less than £2.

Man, these repeat sales really disappoint me. Guess I'll just go ahead and buy The Witcher.
Or maybe I should wait a few hours and see if anything changes.

tjohn86

claviertekky said:
L4D2 was $30 on Amazon last month.

Meh, I'll pass up on an expansion pack. Will buy @ the $20 price mark. I can wait.

For those of you who bought STALKER, is it worth it?

Dude get over it

Oli

nyong said:
Possibly another bug?

Unlikely;

Encore: A demand by an audience for an additional performance, usually expressed by applause.

Basically, they get another run by popular demand. Oh well.

graywolf323

rather disappointing last day but good news for people who missed the few games they decided to do an encore for I guess

edit: I hate you all who got in on the Fallout 3 price glitch >_< only because I missed out :p

Dambrosi said:
...Hold on, most of these "deals" are WORSE than their predecessors. Wasn't L4D £6.49 last time? And I'm very sure indeed that STALKER was less than £2.

Man, these repeat sales really disappoint me. Guess I'll just go ahead and buy The Witcher.

It was 1.99 instead of 2.00. It's literally a 1c difference in price...

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
Dambrosi said:
...Hold on, most of these "deals" are WORSE than their predecessors. Wasn't L4D £6.49 last time? And I'm very sure indeed that STALKER was less than £2.

That was Left 4 Dead. This sale is for Left 4 Dead 2.

Aaron

Thomper said:
Steam's newspage has the announcement, it's the most popular sales of the past few days:
So their final sale are the sales people have already used the most? It's like they take pride in how useless it is.

Also, the only game I bought was Torchlight, and I was bored of that after two hours. A loot game where none of the loot seems to matter? I don't know why people recommend it at all. I get a cool gun, and it's worthless after fifteen minutes, so I have to buy a near identical gun/bow that just has better numbers. The pet is cute, but come on. The game is a marathon on a treadmill.

Ok snagging Alien Shooter 2 and Zombie Shooter 2. I take it no need to get the originals or to have played them? How are the Sherlock Holmes games? Any other recommendations?

Marty Chinn said:
Ok snagging Alien Shooter 2 and Zombie Shooter 2. I take it no need to get the originals or to have played them? How are the Sherlock Holmes games? Any other recommendations?

Not at all.

nyong

Banned
Either LFD2 is a pricing error, or it's shameless self-promotion by slapping it with the daily sales. Hasn't that been the price all week?

Won

nyong said:
Either LFD2 is a pricing error, or it's shameless self-promotion by slapping it with the daily sales. Hasn't that been the price all week?

No it was 25% off. Now it is 33% again.

ksan

Wow, didn't think the deals would come back...
Got Torchlight last time for 4€ but told three of my friends to get it yesterday because I was so impressed.
And now this :lol :lol
They didn't seem to care too much though, they've got a couple of hours played so 4€ extra isn't that bad, but still :lol

Magni

Anno 1404 at 25 euros is a good deal, right?

fake edit:
Just checked how much it'd cost me if I bought it on game.co.uk, glad I did, it'd cost me 13.47 euros there. Sorry Steam :lol

Same with Arkham..

Total------------£28.91
Your saving----£39.02
Wow.

Truespeed

Stitch said:
no witcher for me

i kinda want GTA but it seems to be a shitty port and everything i liked about the other GTA games seems to be missing...

Not really sure about that. The game looks great on the PC and it also runs well providing you know your hardware limitations. One thing I found interesting about the game is that it allows you to customize your graphics while dynamically displaying the resource allocation on your video card RAM. But, make no mistake, it is the definitive version.

Rufus

Aaron said:
So their final sale are the sales people have already used the most? It's like they take pride in how useless it is.
Really. Who thought that was a good idea? Couldn't they have done both? Go out on a bang? Something? Meh.
It's a stupid thing to complain about, but the consumer whore in me was looking forward to some big games, but no...

Lkr said:
brain_stew, how will GTA IV be at 1360x768 on:
AMD Phenom II X3 720
2GB DDR3-1333
GeForce GTS 250

:)

Really well, just don't go setting the sliders at 100% to start off with and you'll be fine. Only potential problem is the 2GB of RAM, think you'll have to use medium (a,k.a. console level) textures.

Mrbob

Encore day is disappointing way to end it, but if you don't own any of these games it is time to pick some up.

Defense Grid and Torchlight are must purchases. I thought I was sick of tower defense games, but Defense Grid does it better than any other game I've seen. I think I'll get Killing Floor now, skipped it the first time.

nyong said:

Nope. For one copy, it was around $37 and for the 4-pack, it was $33 per copy. Now it's $33 for single and $25 per copy in 4 pack.

Javaman

Oli said:
Unlikely;

Encore: A demand by an audience for an additional performance, usually expressed by applause.

Basically, they get another run by popular demand. Oh well.

They should have done a surprise encore tomorrow and left the last set new material like normal people would do.

Lkr

brain_stew said:
Really well, just don't go setting the sliders at 100% to start off with and you'll be fine. Only potential problem is the 2GB of RAM, think you'll have to use medium (a,k.a. console level) textures.
I want it to look AT LEAST as good as console right now at 60fps. The problem I have with my 360 version is that the textures have a loading issue where I have to stand still for a minute for the textures on screen to load. The 2GB is just a temporary issue while I wait for a replacement stick from G.Skill

Xapati

Gonna finish off with Riddick and Project Freedom. It's too bad such an amazing series of deals ended in such a disappointment. Still, my wallet is happy.

Also anybody who hasn't played Dawn of War I should pick the games up. Even if they are only 50% off. Definitely one of the best RTS games ever made and the Steel Legion mod for Soulstorm is just around the corner.

Minsc

Gold Member
claviertekky said:
L4D2 was $30 on Amazon last month.

Meh, I'll pass up on an expansion pack. Will buy @ the $20 price mark. I can wait.

For those of you who bought STALKER, is it worth it?

:lol

worth it at 15x the price!

Well, time to pick up the last of my stragglers at normal discounted prices, all in all, the deals did me in around $150-$200 I think!

DirtRiver

Bought Sniper Elite, Flatout and Pacific Fighters as my last deals of this sale.

Bye Steam :)...

... Oh wait there is also weekend deals when this is over.... crap

clav

Minsc said:

worth it at 15x the price!

Well, time to pick up the last of my stragglers at normal discounted prices, all in all, the deals did me in around $150-$200 I think!

I'm a very very stingy person although I actually caved in and bought Portal + Mass Effect for $5 a piece on that day. On Black Friday, I picked up nothing at clothing outlet stores. I couldn't make myself pay $35 for a sweater which was 50% off its suggested price.

DirtRiver said:
Bought Sniper Elite, Flatout and Pacific Fighters as my last deals of this sale.

Bye Steam :)...

... Oh wait there is also weekend deals when this is over.... crap

Also, there are week long deals, midweek madness, and random promotions for prerelease games and newly added publishers and developers.

Suairyu

Banned
brain_stew said:
Y'know what, I'm completely ignorant here and interested in learning - I thought textures took up vram rather than system ram (probably not even using the correct terminology either); Rockstar's FAQ seemed to indicate as much as well. Please explain how this works!

Top Bottom