• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2009 Begins! (Dec 22nd - Jan 3rd)

Druz

DryvBy2 said:
I wish I wouldn't have wasted my money on that Crysis pack. Even at $13, if feels so boring. I forgot why I didn't like the game in the first place and now I'm remembering. Plus, the game still runs like butthole. Far Cry 2 runs perfect on full settings, so why does Crysis stutter at 30fps? Plus, it's crashed 5 times since install.

Then Warhead won't quit trying to install GameSpy Comrade. Please, make it stop.

Crysis runs completely fine on a modest PC. Btw, there's no way someone can prefer FC2 over Crysis.

If your shit isn't running well and is crashing thats ALARM BELLS GOING OFF. Go fix something.

I might buy one more game, if people could help me find it.

I want the best story based game on Steam, thats runs fine on modern computers with Vista/Win7, thats at least 50% off its normal price, and that isn´t Braid, Telltale games or the Broken Sword games.

Costanza

Banned
CecilRousso said:
I might buy one more game, if people could help me find it.

I want the best story based game on Steam, thats runs fine on modern computers with Vista/Win7, thats at least 50% off its normal price, and that isn´t Braid, Telltale games or the Broken Sword games.
Did you play Bioshock yet?

Aaron

DIrtyWeasel said:
I "think" I might buy Torchlight since I enjoyed the demo. I'm just afraid it might get repetitive, which is why I hesitated the first time it was $5.
I bought it and tired of it after two hours. Very, very repetitive. The loot you get is just changing numbers between the loot you already have. Boring even on very hard.

Costanza said:
Did you play Bioshock yet?

Nah, I didn´t. I tried the demo but didn´t like it. I thought it would be a slowpaced thinking shooter, but was then spammed with zombie like creatures in almost every room.

mrgone

I'm kind of tempted to pick up the Borderlands DLC, but I'm not sure I want to support their double DRM nonsense or their shitty PC port any more than I already have :/ Decisions

Anyone played FlatOut on PC?

ATF487

DAMN IT STEAM

Oh well, the deals they had earlier make up for this. I think I'm in for the Eidos pack, as it has Batman and other stuff.

migulic

brain_stew said:
You can probably pick up a retail copy of EU3 cheaper than that and it'll come with a download code for Gamersgate.

Defense Grid, Torchlight, Outrun and Rome: Total War perhaps, all that still in budget?

Haven't seen any retail copies of EU3 around here unfortunately. It is expensive though, so I probably won't get it. I'll look into those 4.

Any other suggestions under €13?

Aaron

CecilRousso said:
Nah, I didn´t. I tried the demo but didn´t like it. I thought it would be a slowpaced thinking shooter, but was then spammed with zombie like creatures in almost every room.
If that's what you want, go for Cryostasis.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
About that retail copy of EUIII Complete, Where do I find the DD code for Gamersgate in it? Like what type of paper is it on or is it the CD Key? Where do I enter it also on the site

Spayro said:
Bought STALKER for the price of two cans of coke. Nice.
When I think about how I spent most of my money on games, stuff like this always helps :lol

Buying GTA4 or buying a big mac meal, i'd prefer to buy the game :p

Waku

Short Question about the Stalker Complet 2009 Mod. This looks prety amazing i'm just concerned that it's gonna ramp up the Requirements considerably. Anyone any expirience with that?

Twig

Banned
Your shopping cart

$9.99 $2.49
RemoveZombie Shooter 2

$14.99 $3.74
RemoveComplete Shooter Pack

$12.99 $6.49
RemoveHinterland

$4.99 $2.49
RemoveTime Gentlemen, Please! and Ben There, Dan That! Double Pack

$9.99 $2.49
RemoveLucasArts Adventure Pack

$4.99 $2.49
RemoveSamorost2

$19.99 $9.99
RemoveMachinarium

$9.99 $7.49
RemoveThe Bard's Tale

$19.99 $6.79
RemoveGhostbusters: The Videogame

$9.99 $2.49
RemoveOutrun 2006: Coast 2 Coast

$19.99 $9.99
RemoveAquaria

$9.99 $4.99
RemoveAnd Yet It Moves

$9.99 $0.99
RemoveZombie Bowl-O-Rama

$6.99 $1.39
RemoveForeign Legion: Buckets of Blood

$64.31
Subtotal

$64.31 Estimated total

What should I add/remove?!

Inquiring minds would like to know.

Won

Ah, it went through.

Got much more games out of the deals than planned. Don't think I need a new game till next holidays. :lol

Only real disappointment was Anno 1404. Was one of 3 games I actually wanted, but it couldn't compete with the 25€ price tag. :/

Twig

Banned
What's wrong with The Bard's Tale?

I know it's a quality game, I've played it on PS2, is the port really bad? I heard enough good things about Ghostbusters to want it. And I like games like the Shooter games. Are they simply not good, or do you just not enjoy that type of game?

I was iffy on Foreign Legion, though. But it is only $1.39. I've bought terrible games for $50 and wanted to shoot myself. I don't feel so bad when it's so cheap.

migulic said:
Haven't seen any retail copies of EU3 around here unfortunately. It is expensive though, so I probably won't get it. I'll look into those 4.

Any other suggestions under €13?

Well its absolutely worth it at that price, simply incredible game, my best pickup of the year. Most of the good cheapies I can think of I've mentioned in the last page or two.

alex1893

nice move.

Got Outrun 2006 and the Oddworld Pack earlier that day for 2.49 each, was on the fence for Torchlight at 7.99 and didn't buy... for 3.99 now I couldn't resist anymore. :D

shintoki said:
About that retail copy of EUIII Complete, Where do I find the DD code for Gamersgate in it? Like what type of paper is it on or is it the CD Key? Where do I enter it also on the site

The CD Key yeah, just login at Gamersgate.com and it should be pretty straightforward.

TheOneGuy said:
What's wrong with The Bard's Tale?

I know it's a quality game, I've played it on PS2, is the port really bad? I heard enough good things about Ghostbusters to want it. And I like games like the Shooter games. Are they simply not good, or do you just not enjoy that type of game?

I was iffy on Foreign Legion, though. But it is only $1.39. I've bought terrible games for $50 and wanted to shoot myself. I don't feel so bad when it's so cheap.
I just thought you wanted to trim down the list. Personally I didn't bother getting the shooter games because I didn't think the demos were fun. Also I probably would never play Bard's Tale again even if it was free, once is enough.

Raw64life

Crysis Pack
Machinarium
Mass Effect
Mirror's Edge
Osmos
Plants vs. Zombies
QuantZ
The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition
Torchlight
Unreal Pack

Fuck you Steam. I'm never going to get around to playing all of these games.

windfish

i would totally buy Stalker at that price and never touched bioshock before too, but both are cut or not even available in my region,
so if someone could gift me those games i would gladly take them (i would pay via paypal of course!)
if not,at least my poor wallet will be happy :D

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Just curious.

Well I've still got Dragon Age and L4D2 to pick up but I'll get round to them later in the year when they're cheaper and I have time to dedicate to them. Debating over whether I should splurge on Gothic 3, A.I War or Tropico Reloaded while they're cheap but I really need to cut back my spending and boy do I have a big backlog after this sale.

nyong

Banned
Ok, so I'm looking for a specific type of game before this sale ends: something with unlockables for replay value.

Preferably something similar to the Painkiller: Black tarot card system where you beat levels given certain objectives and unlock things you can use on further playthroughs at higher difficultuies. Is there anything else like this on Steam you can think of? The genre is pretty much irrelevant to me, unless it's racing or fighting.

Kool Aid

Banned
BuddhaRockstar said:
Buy Defense Grid, Torchlight, and Stalker.

Yes, sir!

Also bought BioShock and Killing Floor. Was considering buying GTA IV, but I don't think my computer will be able to handle it very well.

Anything else you guys recommend me picking up while the deals last?

Proc said:
I'm loading up on strategy games:

Tropico 3
Dawn of Discovery
World in Conflict Complete (own the original but $10 for complete and on steam is great)
Defense Grid
AI War

edit: are there any worthwhile gta 4 mods to make the double dip worth the admission?
I have no idea but reckon the ability to tweak things makes it worth it. Police cars now crumple before Niko's feet. I made it rain taxis. Gonna see if I can make them light and fast enough to catch air.

Recommended
IV Needle - Allows you to tweak all kinds of stuff, most importantly vehicle handling.
Simple Trainer - It is actually not very simple at all. Allows you to do pretty much anything. Change time, weather, teleport, spawn cars, objects, bodyguards, speedometer, wanted level, weapons, set people on fire... Tip: F3 and F4 to show/hide menu.

Twig

Banned
Lostconfused said:
I just thought you wanted to trim down the list. Personally I didn't bother getting the shooter games because I didn't think the demos were fun. Also I probably would never play Bard's Tale again even if it was free, once is enough.
Ah, no, I've got the money. Christmas was good this year.

I've been wanting to play TBT again for a while so that's why I want it. :D A bad port might be enough to turn me off, though. Hum dee dum.

I'd also take recommendations for things to add. O: Provided they're ten bucks or lower, anyway. It's a rule I'm trying to keep, and I've followed it completely so far except the Crysis pack. Although I might already have the recommendations so hey.

Truespeed

mrgone said:
I'm kind of tempted to pick up the Borderlands DLC, but I'm not sure I want to support their double DRM nonsense or their shitty PC port any more than I already have :/ Decisions

Anyone played FlatOut on PC?

Have you installed the demo Link? It's not bad. The racing gets boring, but the mini games are kind of fun, but they do get repetitive.

Owzers

brain_stew said:
Well I've still got Dragon Age and L4D2 to pick up but I'll get round to them later in the year when they're cheaper and I have time to dedicate to them. Debating over whether I should splurge on Gothic 3, A.I War or Tropico 3 while they're cheap but I really need to cut back my spending and boy do I have a big backlog after this sale.

They have Gothic 3 Collector's Edition on amazon for 8.50. Any reason to avoid that infavor of the digital version?

MNC

Well, since such a shitload has gone on sale lately, what could be interesting things for steam to have on normal sales?

iammeiam

Costanza said:
Is The Void actually a good game? I remember a thread about it and just thinking it looked really fucking weird.

It's really fucking weird and the learning curve is basically a flat wall, but having finally got the hang of the system, it's pretty fun. It's pretty much resource management, but it gets weird because you only have one type of resource (color), which exists in three stages (Unprocessed, in process, processed.) Where the tricky part comes in is that each color has different properties, and each state will change the use of the color. Then add in that you have to have in-process color any time you want to go anywhere, and... complicated.

I think that aspect becomes less harried later on, once you've unlocked more renewable color resources, and the focus becomes more on fulfilling quests you're tasked with. Of course, since doing anything (including just plain not dying) drains color, the resource management aspect will always be there.

The biggest hurdle with the game is that it doesn't hold your hand, and the tutorial-style-stuff and world background are all given by people who may or may not be totally lying or intentionally obscuring the truth. I think almost everyone winds up having to replay the first few hours, because it's possible to think you're doing pretty well, then realize you've been focusing on the wrong thing.

But, definitely weird as hell.

welp i finally purchased all the games i've been sitting on and i'm officially done with the steam deals

I'm going to miss checking steam for the new patch of daily deals. :(

Till next time Steam.

Volcynika

First to PM me with Steam associated email gets a Killing Floor guest pass. Expires on the 11th and it's a deal today so...hopefully someone will get it while it lasts!

Top Bottom