• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2009 Begins! (Dec 22nd - Jan 3rd)

claviertekky said:
I already own GTA4 for the X360 + one expansion pack: Lost and the Damned. I'm waiting on a deal for the Ballad of Gay Tony.

GTA4 on PC supposedly uses Securom that slows down games. I don't think I'll double dip then. Using a crack to make the game run faster. eh... I'll pass.

I borrowed a friend's copy of Bioshock for the X360 and finished it, so I'm thinking if I should purchase it since I actually thoroughly enjoyed the game. So there is no PS3 DLC on the PC version as well huh?

It does nothing of the sort.

Also just noticed vegas ! make it big which i have been looking for a long time (used to have it but somehow threw it away). Great game and a re-buy from me at only 2,5 euros.

Dambrosi said:
Right, I'm getting The Witcher and one more.

Painkiller Black, Titan Quest Gold or Ghostbusters? Or something else below £7/$10? Which one, guys?

No, I'm NOT getting Defense Grid; the only tower defense game I even barely liked was Crystal Defenders, and that was only because it was so gosh-darned cute.

Painkiller and Titan Quest Gold.

kitch9

Banned
claviertekky said:
GTA4 on PC supposedly uses Securom that slows down games. I don't think I'll double dip then. Using a crack to make the game run faster. eh... I'll pass.

Where the fuck did that golden nugget of disinformation come from?! :lol

Pretty disappointed that they didn't bring back Civ IV (which I actually regretted passing up on almost immediately) and instead brought back all the deals I was smart enough to take the first time. :(

At this point I'm just weighing grabbing The Witcher, Aquaria, and/or Deus Ex before the sale packs up.

Volcynika

charlequin said:
Pretty disappointed that they didn't bring back Civ IV (which I actually regretted passing up on almost immediately) and instead brought back all the deals I was smart enough to take the first time. :(

At this point I'm just weighing grabbing The Witcher, Aquaria, and/or Deus Ex before the sale packs up.

Aquaria Aquaria Aquaria!

cory

Banned
I went for Altitude and Unreal Deal.

FINAL RESULT:
Steam:10 Cory: 8

Altitude - $7.49
Unreal Deal - $13.59
Trials 2: Second Edition - $2.49
Osmos - $1.99
Left 4 Dead - $7.49
Jade Empire - $3.75
Dead Space - $10.19
Day of Defeat: Source - $2.49
Serious Sam HD - $9.99
Beyond Good and Evil - $4.49
Droplitz - $4.99
Zombie Bowl-O-Rama - $0.99
Indigo Prophecy - $3.39
Outrun2006 Coast 2 Coast - $2.49
Puzzle Quest - $4.99
Defense Grid: The Awakening - $2.49
Lucasarts Adventure Bundle - $2.49
Braid - $2.49

Total: $88.78
or $4.93 per game

Costanza said:
My final tally:

Indigo Prophecy
GTA 4
STALKER: Clear Sky
Rollercoaster Tycoon 3
Braid
Rome Total War
Time Gentlemen, Please/Ben There, Dan That
Elf Bowling
Red Faction Guerilla
Cogs
Battlefield 2
Lumines
Torchlight
Burnout Paradise
Jade Empire
Mr. Robot
Max Payne 1
Max Payne 2
Osmos
Crysis
Crysis Warhead
Shattered Horizon
Darwinia
Portal
Trine
Eidos Collectors Pack
Telltale Everything Pack
Foreign Legion: Buckets of Blood
Unreal Deal Pack
Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena
Borderlands Zombie Island DLC

something like $235-ish total

How the hell will you get through all that? :lol

I suddenly feel an urge to get a WW2 flight sim.

€2.49 - Pacific Fighters
€4.99 - IL-2 Sturmovik 1946
€2.49 - Combat Wings: Battle of Britain

Any others I should be aware of before picking one? And which one should that be? Got a feeling it's the middle one.

clav

LucasArts Adventure Pack
Left 4 Dead 2
Trine
Crysis
Crysis Warhead
Bioshock
GTA4

= £45ish

Not the most, but a good haul nonetheless. Couldn't resist double dipping on GTA4 for that price in the end.

Jirotrom

ok guys... I really need an honest honest answer on trackmania United star edition... is it really worth it. I have nations and its fun but I really need honest opinions about this game both negative and positive. thanks a bunch

bonesquad

Nice. I'm sure today's sales disappointed some, but I had planned to pick up Torchlight today no matter what (and so I'm no longer disappointed I missed the previous 1-day sale).

Plus, just yesterday someone was shocked I never played Bioshock, their favorite game of the past few years. So I figured I'd check to see how much it was on Steam...

My haul:

Tourchlight
Deadspace
Crysis
Crysis: Warhead
Street Fighter IV
Half Life Source
Mass Effect
Sid Meier's Railroads!

Even though I'm disappointed with today's sales, for the overall sale I just can't complain. I might still pick up Defense Grid, Grid, and Batman. I may need some convincing though.

1) What one Steam purchase you made during this sale are you the most pleased with? Why?
Mass Effect. After playing a little Dragon Age Bioware got me hooked to their RPG system all over again. I haven't played it yet, but it was a STEAL at 5 bucks.

2) What one Steam purchase from this sale are you least pleased with? Why?

Sid's Railroads! After the first time you played one level you pretty much played the whole game.

3) How much did you spend on this sale? (Estimates are fine.)
About 70 dollars

4) What will you do differently next year?
Not trust whatever weekend deal they have right before the big sale. Lookin' at you Torchlight.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
you would have to be brain dead not to buy torchlight at that price. at 20 bucks it was still worth it and then some.

confused

Banned
Final tally :

Audiosurf
Bioshock
Chronicles of Riddick
Ghostbusters
GTA 4
Left 4 Dead
Mass effect
Mirror's Edge
Mass effect
Orange Box
Prey
Torchlight

Only regret missing Dead Space, Crysis & Burnout

crimsonheadGCN said:
It really sucks that ArmA II wasn't on sale. Hopefully, the reason why it wasn't on sale is because they are saving it, as well as several other games, for a weekend deal that's coming up in the next month or two.
The original Arma is on sale . . . is that worth picking up?

kitch9 said:
Where the fuck did that golden nugget of disinformation come from?! :lol

Honestly GTA4 PC's launch was a major clusterfuck but my word is there some serious FUD surrounding that game. I've never heard that one before mind! :lol

Niks said:
Are transactions going ok, or should I wait till later to make my purchase...
I'm from the UK, my transactions arn't going through. I get this error message:

An unexpected error has occurred. Your purchase has not been completed.
Please contact Steam Support.

For someone looking to try X3 (big freelancer fan here), should I get Reunion or Terran Conflict? Not looking to buy the gold pack for both, I know I'll never be able to spend the time to play two X3 games. Thanks

Costanza said:
Lame final day. I guess I'll pick up some of the stuff I was waiting on.

:( @ me missing out on Fallout 3 price mistake the other day
Yeah, we really need you to fuck up another sale by abusing it.

I got:

Darwinia/Multiwinia
Plants vs Zombies
Shatterd Horizon
Trials2
Trine

alll fantasic, ive been switching off all weekend playing them. Trials really got me hooked somehow, even though its soooooo hard.

im thinkin of pickin up either killzing floor or Defense Grid, what would be a better pick?

CecilRousso said:
I might buy one more game, if people could help me find it.

I want the best story based game on Steam, thats runs fine on modern computers with Vista/Win7, thats at least 50% off its normal price, and that isn´t Braid, Telltale games or the Broken Sword games.
Bioshock.

bengraven

Kodiak said:
you would have to be brain dead not to buy torchlight at that price. at 20 bucks it was still worth it and then some.

I'm torn. A friend of mine worked on Torchlight and gave me a free non-Steam copy signed by him (smart ass, since he wasn't actually a dev, just an ad guy).

Part of me wants to just buy it and transfer my save file so I can support the devs and get Steam support. Then again, I've spent a LOT of money so far.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
brain_stew said:
How the hell will you get through all that? :lol
You are acting like people thought that far ahead. Dogs don't think why they are chasing the car, Whatever will they do if they catch it? They just do it.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
You now own Torchlight, Torchlight Editor.

You now own Unreal II: The Awakening, Unreal Tournament 3 Black, Unreal Tournament 2004, Unreal Tournament, Unreal Gold.

Thank you Steam. See you later :lol

epmode

Jirotrom said:
ok guys... I really need an honest honest answer on trackmania United star edition... is it really worth it. I have nations and its fun but I really need honest opinions about this game both negative and positive. thanks a bunch
It's only one of the best arcadey racers ever made. I bought every single TM game and haven't regretted it once.

Dambrosi said:
Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeyah, I distinctly said "one more". Thanks for the advice though.

They're only £1 over budget and both great buys (my first pickups in the sale as it happens) but if you have to narrow it down to one I'd go with Painkiller.

Kerrinck

Wickerbasket said:
I'm from the UK, my transactions arn't going through. I get this error message:

An unexpected error has occurred. Your purchase has not been completed.
Please contact Steam Support.

I had the same error message but strangely enough I got charged and actually got the games.

Blizzard said:
I haven't even played all of it, but this is an excellent answer unless you just plain hate FPS games or something.

I'm the same (I will finish it one of these days) but yeah, at that price its an awesome deal. Tbh, all those 24 hour deals are insanely good, its no coincidence that I own every last one of them.

anddo0

I caved and got Torchlight.

My haul for Steam Holiday sale:

Mass Effect
Torchlight
Stalker
Stalker Clear Sky
Jade Empire
KOTOR

NIN90 said:
GET KILLING FLOOR 5$
GET KILLING FLOOR 5$
GET KILLING FLOOR 5$
GET KILLING FLOOR 5$
GET KILLING FLOOR 5$

can i get some impressions of killing floor? it almost reminds me of left 4 dead from the steam page?

Mrbob

I can't say this enough since I was a cynic and now have been converted:

I don't see enough people getting Defense Grid. Pick it up! Amazing tower defense game, even if you are burned on the genre! $2.49 is a steal! I picked it up at the original $2.49 sale, and have received my moneys worth and more.

Top Bottom