• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2009 Begins! (Dec 22nd - Jan 3rd)

claviertekky said:
From what I picked up reading from search engines, are you sure?

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=772959

I already own a copy on the X360 though since release. I don't really have that great of a graphics card to support it (X1650 Pro 512 MB DDR2 clocked @ 500 Mhz for GPU and 540 Mhz for memory)

Traces of Securom left behind after uninstallation: http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3171574

Well it has Securom, sure, I'm not denying that, but it doesn't affect performance in anyway, doesn't limit installs and can be fully removed. No point in getting it for your rig though, it'll play better on 360.

Volcynika

TrAcEr_x90 said:
can i get some impressions of killing floor? it almost reminds me of left 4 dead from the steam page?

Want a guest pass? PM me your Steam associated email. Guest pass = full game for limited time.

Baha

Made my final purchase of the sale today, picked up:

Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter - $5
Rainbow Six Vegas 2 - $5
Splinter Cell Chaos Theory - $5
Sniper Elite - $2

Roughly $17, a good haul if I do say so myself :D

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
TrAcEr_x90 said:
can i get some impressions of killing floor? it almost reminds me of left 4 dead from the steam page?
Not anything like it. It's an Invasion Coop game. You have X number of mobs each round to kill. Every level they increase in number and stronger ones come, but you also get to purchase better weapons from cash earned for kill and surviving. You also get persisted stats to level up in from 7 different groups such as Demo or Sharpshooter. Which are counted by either getting kills with a certain class of weapon, manner, or using that weapon.

Owzers

Bought:

Darwinia pack
Shadowgrounds pack
Time Gentlemen, Please! pack
Zombie Shooter 2
Alien Shooter 2
Jade Empire
Portal
Stalker
Osmos
Defense Grid
Rome Total War Gold
Sid Meier's Civilization pack
Torchlight
Trine

total cost: About $53

I want Painkiller, Prince of Persia Two Thrones, and The Witcher, but i'm probably passing on The Witcher for sure just because $14 is a lot of money to pay for a game i can't play atm, despite it being the game i'm interested in the most Xp

JdFoX187

Banned
My final tally:

Batman: Arkham Asylum
Deus Ex: GOTY
id Super Pack
GTA IV
Jade Empire
Max Payne
Max Payne 2
Mirror's Edge
Outrun 2006
Prey
Prince of Persia: Sands of Time
Prince of Perisa: The Two Thrones
Prince of Persia: The Warrior Within
Red Faction: Guerilla
Rome: Total War
Civilization IV
Star Wars Republic Commando
Star Wars KOTR
Torchlight
Trine
Dawn of War Complete Pack
Ghostbusters: The Video Game

And my bank account weeps.

speculawyer said:
The original Arma is on sale . . . is that worth picking up?

I never played the original. Only really got interested in the sequel when I played the demo and saw some videos and the mods that are being made for it.

JdFoX187

Banned
Costanza said:
Why not spend $10 more and get Eidos pack?
I already have all of the Hitman games, Tomb Raider Legend and both Battlestations games. Only other game I was interested there was Just Cause and I've already played it on the 360. It was tempting though.

If this thread is anything to go by I daren't even comprehend how much revenue was generated during this sale. To think that Valve get at least ~25% of all of that and its basically all pure profit for them, it just boggles the mind. Valve must have received some insane offers to sell up from major corporations, STEAM has to be just about the most valuable asset in the entire industry right now. They effectively have all the benefits that Microsoft and Sony get through their platforms but didn't have to lose billions in R & D and subsidised hardware to get there.

VibratingDonkey said:
I suddenly feel an urge to get a WW2 flight sim.

€2.49 - Pacific Fighters
€4.99 - IL-2 Sturmovik 1946
€2.49 - Combat Wings: Battle of Britain

Any others I should be aware of before picking one? And which one should that be? Got a feeling it's the middle one.
It has come to my attention that 1946 includes Pacific Fighters, so... Was thinking about buying both of those. That would've sucked.

vocab

brain_stew said:
If this thread is anything to go by I daren't even comprehend how much revenue was generated during this sale. To think that Valve get at least ~25% of all of that and its basically all pure profit for them, it just boggles the mind. Valve must have received some insane offers to sell up from major corporations, STEAM has to be just about the most valuable asset in the entire industry right now. They effectively have all the benefits that Microsoft and Sony get through their platforms but didn't have to lose billions in R & D and subsidised hardware to get there.

Ya, and to think Steam would be here today considering how crappy steam was back in 1.6 beta :lol

I'm sure they do get constant offers for Steam. But the truth is the value of steam is Valve themselves. Steam just wouldn't be run the same way by any publicly owned company and the truth is I wouldn't be interested in buying DD games from a service that was owned by a publicly traded company.

beje

Banned
I can't believe the only game I'm interested on at this moment is probably the only one in the whole catalog that has stayed full price (20€) during the sales.

Shit sucks.

iammeiam

Prince of Persia: Two Thrones, Eidos Collector Pack, Prince of Persia: The Warrior Within, Wallace and Gromit's Grand Adventures, Prince of Persia: Sands of Time, Trine, Portal, Mass Effect, Multiwinia + Darwinia, Sid Meier's Civilization IV: The Complete Edition, Osmos, Max Payne Bundle, Jade Empire, Torchlight, King's Bounty: Armored Princess, Cogs, STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl, The Void, Lucasarts Adventure Bundle

Total spent: $160.93

Games acquired: 53, give or take a game or two
Cost per game; ~$3.03

I live in WA, so I have to pay tax, which bumped the total up a little.

Basically I got 53 PC games for less than what 3 new 360 releases would cost me in-store. There's almost no chance I'm going to play every title in there to completion, since the Eidos pack has a bunch of excess in it, but I've basically got enough "I'm bored with all the games I've played, need something new" background stuff to last me at least the whole year at this point if not considerably longer.

vocab

I bought Torchlight, and will probably buy Defense Grid. I'll hold out on Machinarium for the time being. I can't pass up better deals.

Mrbob said:
I can't say this enough since I was a cynic and now have been converted:

I don't see enough people getting Defense Grid. Pick it up! Amazing tower defense game, even if you are burned on the genre! $2.49 is a steal! I picked it up at the original $2.49 sale, and have received my moneys worth and more.

You talked me into it.

gsarjeant

If I liked Sacred 2, would I be likely to enjoy Titan Quest Gold? Can it be played in short bursts (self-control notwithstanding)? Sacred 2 was the first ARPG that I've played and I had enough fun with it that I'd like to play more. I have Torchlight, which I'm also enjoying, but TQ is looking pretty tempting (and a lot deeper?) for $10.

I <3 Memes said:
I'm sure they do get constant offers for Steam. But the truth is the value of steam is Valve themselves. Steam just wouldn't be run the same way by any publicly owned company and the truth is I wouldn't be interested in buying DD games from a service that was owned by a publicly traded company.

Oh absolutely, but I think its damn near hit critical mass at this point, its going to be pretty difficult (and expensive) for anyone to overthrow them now, even if Steam falls into the hands of a mammoth public company.

Dambrosi

Banned
brain_stew said:
They're only £1 over budget and both great buys (my first pickups in the sale as it happens) but if you have to narrow it down to one I'd go with Painkiller.
Well, I already have Torchlight, so is it really worth getting Titan Quest as well?

Polk said:
Any US/UK gaffers are looking for 2 people to chip into Boarderlands 4pak?
How much each? Just curious.

Jirotrom

beje said:
I can't believe the only game I'm interested on at this moment is probably the only one in the whole catalog that has stayed full price (20€) during the sales.

Shit sucks.
what was it... and why does trackmania united have to be 20 bucks... why?!

Dambrosi said:
Well, I already have Torchlight, so is it really worth getting Titan Quest as well?

That's a fair point, they're pretty similar. I actually picked up both in the sale, I wasn't going to get Torchlight but couldn't pass it up at £3 odd.

Do you have the Shadowgrounds pack? That's pretty damn great value.

aaaaaa

My haul:

Lucasarts adventure pack
King's Quest Collection
Space Quest Collection
Samorost 2
Nikopol
Rome: Total War Gold
Max Payne 1+2
Lumines+advanced pack
Audiosurf

and these games I can't even run on my old-ass PC
Torchlight
Civ 4 Complete
STALKER
Mr. Robot

Around $54 total.

epmode

Jirotrom said:
what was it... and why does trackmania united have to be 20 bucks... why?!
Christ, that game was well worth it at $50. BTW, did you know that you can import every single track from previous games into United?

aaaaaa said:
Lucasarts adventure pack
King's Quest Collection
Space Quest Collection
Samorost 2
Nikopol
Rome: Total War Gold
Max Payne 1+2
Lumines+advanced pack
Audiosurf

and these games I can't even run on my old-ass PC
Torchlight
Civ 4 Complete
STALKER
Mr. Robot

Around $54 total.

Your PC won't run Torchlight and Mr. Robot? You sure? Is it from the 90s or something? :lol

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
If anyone is interested I still have HL2 and Episode 1 as gifts that I'd like to trade and killing floor is only five bucks ;)

Will post final List in a little while.

Kerrinck said:
I had the same error message but strangely enough I got charged and actually got the games.
Well they're not going to be able to charge me till they get my paypal details. All I want is to buy some games. :(

Torchlight 5
Trine 5
Mass Effect 5
Riddick 6.80
World of Goo 5
STALKER Clear Sky 5

Total: 31.80 plus taxes plus CDN dollar conversion. Not too shabby.

Well, I had a pretty good haul:

Zombie Bowl-o-Rama - $1.00
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - $2.00
Defense Grid - $2.50
Braid - $2.50
Audiosurf - $2.50
Torchlight - $5.00
Street Fighter IV - $10.00
Crysis Maximum - $13.50
Unreal Package - $13.50

For a grand total of: $52

I'm still on the fence for The Witcher for $13.50. GTAIV for $7.50.

Regrets that I missed:
Mass Effect - $5.00
Mirror's Edge - $5.00
Trine - $5.00

I had debated picking each up and was like "eh, I don't need that kind of backlog". Then of course the next day I am like, "what was I thinking!". I had this with Torchlight, but thankfully the deal came back today!

I am a little disappointed Borderlands didn't go cheaper, but I am still holding out hope that someone will want to get in on a 4-pack deal today. Just a little over $25 buying it in a 4-pack.

fatty

How does Bioshock on the PC compare to the console versions? Is the PC version substantially better. I'm weighing picking it up on console for around $10 and playing it on a large screen with nice surround sound compared to getting it on this Steam deal and playing it on a 21" monitor next year when I upgrade my PC.

Are they really that much different? (keep in mind I thought Mass Effect ran fine on 360 and looked/sounded great)

aaaaaa

brain_stew said:
Your PC won't run Torchlight and Mr. Robot? You sure? Is it from the 90s or something? :lol

I guess I should try Torchlight. Mr. Robot requires shader support that I don't have.

Well, as others have said: Lame last day and disappointing for those who have followed the sale all along. I guess it's time for all the stragglers to admit defeat and pick up the Witcher. It's still a great price.

I <3 Memes said:
Steam just wouldn't be run the same way by any publicly owned company and the truth is I wouldn't be interested in buying DD games from a service that was owned by a publicly traded company.

So I've been wondering, and I'm sure this has been brought up before, but despite everyone's misgivings about DD, everybody seems to "trust" Valve/Steam on this. Isn't it entirely possible that they could sell the service at some point for a pile of cash to someone who mishandles it and either ruins it, goes out of business, or decides to shut it down? Due to the way the DRM works, what will happen to the hundreds of games we have bought?

KiKaL

Whats the best Prince of Persia to go with? I haven't played one since the side scrolling one like 15 years ago. Prince of Persia looks interesting with its graphic style but whats the best of the series to jump into? Also debating about just getting maybe the pack.

datamage

A shame about Fallout 3. I still feel like buying it at the current sale price, I just know that if I do, it'll be the first upcoming mid-week or weekend sale. :lol

Top Bottom