• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2009 Begins! (Dec 22nd - Jan 3rd)

DryvBy

Druz said:
Crysis runs completely fine on a modest PC. Btw, there's no way someone can prefer FC2 over Crysis.

If your shit isn't running well and is crashing thats ALARM BELLS GOING OFF. Go fix something.

Tis the only game that does this. Most of my newer games are running just fine at 40-60fps.

And to the guy that was talking about Far Cry 2 being crap compared to Crysis, as goofy as the "open ended" world is at least is open world. Crysis is just a hand-held generic adventure down a linear scope with some open areas to fight. Both are boring, just on the opposite ends.

brain_stew said:
Well I've still got Dragon Age and L4D2 to pick up but I'll get round to them later in the year when they're cheaper and I have time to dedicate to them. Debating over whether I should splurge on Gothic 3, A.I War or Tropico Reloaded while they're cheap but I really need to cut back my spending and boy do I have a big backlog after this sale.

What's your steam id?

Advice please! Looking for a fun game to play with the girlfriend. Challenge: It must have system requirements equal to or less than Torchlight/WoW. We used to play WoW together and we've been looking for something else- needs to be online co-op or some sort of team game. Anything on Steam fit the bill?

Volcynika said:
First to PM me with Steam associated email gets a Killing Floor guest pass. Expires on the 11th and it's a deal today so...hopefully someone will get it while it lasts!
And in case anyone missed it, I've got two additional guest passes. Although for €5, if you're interested in the game you should just straight up buy the thing.

clav

Uh dudes, there's still another sale tomorrow.

Ok, maybe I'm reading that wrong. Final curtain means the deals are gone forever.

derp derp derp

DryvBy

Oh, I have one Killing Floor guest pass left if anyone wants it. PM me.

Nevermind: claviertekky is taking it.

Volcynika

VibratingDonkey said:
And in case anyone missed it, I've got two additional guest passes. Although for €5, if you're interested in the game you should just straight up buy the thing.

Well, some people can use it to see how the game runs and all and if it's their style. Or something. I want to give it to someone that can use it though! Can help fence sitters.

Garou

Jirotrom said:
Is there a way to purchase a game and save it to send as a gift later?

Gift it to an alternative Email-address you own and when you want to give it to somebody just resend it through the gift-menu in Steam to the address of your friend.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
What's your steam id?

ukbrainstew, but don't you go buying me L4D2 or something jeez! :lol

That's way too generous, I'd be over the moon with a $5 or $10 gift tbh, you really don't have to.

Volcynika said:
There's a demo.

Yes I know, I have tried it, I was more after the opinions from those who might have played all or most of it. It seems fun, but the story was so odd that I didn´t get any real impression of whether or not it was any good, and I´m not sure if the combat doesn´t get repetitive after a while.

Volcynika

CecilRousso said:
Yes I know, I have tried it, I was more after the opinions from those who might have played all or most of it. It seems fun, but the story was so odd that I didn´t get any real impression of whether or not it was any good, and I´m not sure if the combat doesn´t get repetitive after a while.

I beat the game, the story never stops being odd :lol

FatalT

Banned
Are we posting our total hauls now?

Alpha Prime
And Yet It Moves
Batman: Arkham Asylum
Battlefield 2
Battlestations Pacific
Battlestations: Midway
Braid
Cogs
Conflict: Denied Ops
Crash Time 2
Crysis
Crysis Warhead
Deus Ex: Game of the Year Edition
Deus Ex: Invisible War
Elf Bowling: Hawaiian Vacation
Foreign Legion: Buckets of Blood
Grand Theft Auto IV
Hitman 2: Silent Assassin
Hitman: Blood Money
Hitman: Codename 47
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
Indigo Prophecy
Infernal
Jade Empire
Just Cause
Kane and Lynch: Dead Men
King's Bounty: Armored Princess
Larva Mortus
LOOM
Lumines Base + Advance Pack
Luxor 3
Machinarium
Madballs in... Babo:Invasion
Mass Effect
Morrowind Game of the Year
Mr. Robot
Nation Red
Osmos
Outrun2006 Coast 2 Coast
Penguins Arena: Sedna’s World
Project: Snowblind
Red Faction Guerrilla
RIP
RIP 2: Strike Back
RIP 3: The Last Hero
Rogue Trooper
RollerCoaster Tycoon 3: Platinum
Sam and Max Season One
Sam and Max Season Two
Samorost 2
Serious Sam HD
Shadowgrounds Survivor
Shattered Horizon
Shellshock 2: Blood Trails
Space Trader: Merchant Marine
Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast
Star Wars Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II
Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy
Star Wars Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith
Star Wars Republic Commando
Star Wars: Dark Forces
Star Wars: KOTOR
The Dig
The Void
The Witcher: Enhanced Edition
Thief: Deadly Shadows
Time Gentlemen, Please!
Tomb Raider: Anniversary
Tomb Raider: Legend
Tomb Raider: Underworld
Torchlight
Trine
Zombie Bowl-O-Rama
Zombie Driver
Zombie Shooter 2

TOTAL: $289.03

JdFoX187

Banned
Picked up Batman: Arkham Asylum and Ghostbusters: The Video Game. Thought about getting The Witcher, but I have too many games I haven't even opened yet. Oh well, it will probably be a mid-week or weekend deal some time soon.

Loxley

So, my total haul over the entire sale;

- Company of Heroes Gold Edition
- Rome: Total War Gold Edition
- Killing Floor
- Braid
- The Witcher: Enhanced Edition
- Champions Online
- Trine
- Crysis: Maximum Edition
- Borderlands
- Painkiller: Collector's Pack
- Red Prchestra
- Prince of Persia: Two Thrones
- Star Wars Republic Commando

....and the Eidos Complete Pack, which includes (*'s are the games I've been meaning to buy for long time, the others are just fluff :D);

- Batman: Arkham Asylum*
- Battlestations: Pacific
- Battlestations: Midway
- Conflict: Denied Ops
- Deus Ex GotY Edition*
- Deux Ex: Invisible War
- Hitman 2: Silent Assassin*
- Hitman: Blood Money*
- Hitman: Codename 47
- Infernal
- Just Cause*
- Kane & Lynch*
- Mini Ninjas*
- Project Snowblind
- Rogue Trooper
- Shellshock 2
- Thief: Deadly Shadows*
- Tomb Raider: Legend*
- Tomb Raider: Underworld*

35 new games total.

Overall I spent around $150 on the sale, all of which was money I received for my birthday in mid-December. But I have to say, at $50 that Eidos pack is a goddamn steal.

I'm slightly saddened by no Oblivion, Fallout 3 or Sacred 2 deal of the day, but that's just nit-picking over what was (as usual) and incredible sales event. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go weep in a corner for a while while I try to think about where in the hell I'm ever going to find the time to play all this shit.

GHG

Gold Member
Can someone kind from the US gift me Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 platinum and I'll paypal them the price.

PM me if interested in helping me out :D .

sillymonkey321 said:
They have Gothic 3 Collector's Edition on amazon for 8.50. Any reason to avoid that infavor of the digital version?

Because its £6.74 on Steam? :D Plus, I'm kind of tired of discs based games these days, Steam releases have much more value to me.

Twig

Banned
drizzle said:
Yes there is. Gift it to yourself (a different e-mail) and then re-send that gift from your steam account to somebody else later.
how the hell does that work

Since when can you give away a gift.

cms382 said:
Unreal Deal, Altitude, or Assassin's Creed?

There's a 3 hour demo of Altitude available on Steam. If you install the demo and buy it from Steam, it'll automatically convert it to the full version. It's rather small download too.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I've asked this a few times already.

If I want the definite version of the Total War Series, Should I go with Rome Gold or MII. Also, do I need the expansions for either. Like for the mods to work or I am good with the original. Outside of maybe getting that.

Final totals
Killing Floor, 9.99
Jedi Outcast Collection, 9.99
Audiosurf, 2.49
Defense Grid, 2.49
Max Payne Bundle, 3.74
Civilization 4 Complete, 13.69
Trine, 4.99

Total: 47.38USD

All that great fucking gaming for less than a retail copy of a new one.

bengraven

FINAL DAMAGE:

Bard's Tale
Ben There, Dan That!
Braid
Freedom Force
Gothic 3
Half-Life: Source
Hinterland
Killing Floor
Mount & Blade
Overlord
Sacred Gold
Secret of Monkey Island: SE
Star Wars: Battlefront II
Street Fighter IV
Time Gentlemen, Please!
Elder Scrolls: Morrowind GOTY

1) What one Steam purchase you made during this sale are you the most pleased with? Why?

*Mount & Blade - it's like Pirates! but with a dash of Daggerfall and vikings.

2) What one Steam purchase from this sale are you least pleased with? Why?

*Have to say two: Half-Life: Source - I had to actually check that it was the SDK version and not the original Half-Life. And Freedom Force - just not my kind of game. I'll give it time some day though and maybe get an appreciation of it.

3) How much did you spend on this sale? (Estimates are fine.)
I don't want to know, but over 70 dollars US. My wife can never find out about this.

4) What will you do differently next year?
Tell my wife. :lol

5) What game would you most like to see on Steam?
Other than Blizzard games, Steam already covers the games I like, thanks.

Garou

TheOneGuy said:
how the hell does that work

Since when can you give away a gift.

As long as the gift has not been redeemed and associated to an account you can resend it as many times as you want and it never expires.

Dambrosi

Banned
Right, I'm getting The Witcher and one more.

Painkiller Black, Titan Quest Gold or Ghostbusters? Or something else below £7/$10? Which one, guys?

No, I'm NOT getting Defense Grid; the only tower defense game I even barely liked was Crystal Defenders, and that was only because it was so gosh-darned cute.

Audiosurf
Braid
Killing Floor
Lumines + Advanced Pack
Mass Effect
Sid Meier's Civilization IV Complete
Street Fighter IV
Torchlight

I also got the massive THQ pack and Battlefield 2 Complete in the pre-Holiday sales in November.

shintoki said:
I've asked this a few times already.

If I want the definite version of the Total War Series, Should I go with Rome Gold or MII. Also, do I need the expansions for either. Like for the mods to work or I am good with the original.

Rome is generally considered the peak (though I'm no judge), is the cheapest and comes with the expansion. Think that's your best option.

Gully State said:
I'm surprised that COD4 didn't go on sale...Activision sticking to its pricing guns.
Activision gets the scrooge award. I think all they had was Prototype & CoD:WaW. And neither at impressively inexpensive prices.

I can't believe I only bought Torchlight, Civilization IV, and Morrowind during the whole sale. I must've bought too many games beforehand. All for less than $30.

clav

I already own GTA4 for the X360 + one expansion pack: Lost and the Damned. I'm waiting on a deal for the Ballad of Gay Tony.

GTA4 on PC supposedly uses Securom that slows down games. I don't think I'll double dip then. Using a crack to make the game run faster. eh... I'll pass.

I bought Mass Effect since EA actually did something good to remove DRM in their games for Steam.

I borrowed a friend's copy of Bioshock for the X360 and finished it, so I'm thinking if I should purchase it since I actually thoroughly enjoyed the game. So there is no PS3 DLC on the PC version as well huh?

Garou said:
As long as the gift has not been redeemed and associated to an account you can resend it as many times as you want and it never expires.

I can back this up, it does indeed work. You can resend a gift just fine if it hasn't been claimed already.

Costanza

Banned
My final tally:

Indigo Prophecy
GTA 4
STALKER: Clear Sky
Rollercoaster Tycoon 3
Braid
Rome Total War
Time Gentlemen, Please/Ben There, Dan That
Elf Bowling
Red Faction Guerilla
Cogs
Battlefield 2
Lumines
Torchlight
Burnout Paradise
Jade Empire
Mr. Robot
Max Payne 1
Max Payne 2
Osmos
Crysis
Crysis Warhead
Shattered Horizon
Darwinia
Portal
Trine
Eidos Collectors Pack
Telltale Everything Pack
Foreign Legion: Buckets of Blood
Unreal Deal Pack
Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena
Borderlands Zombie Island DLC

something like $235-ish total

Dambrosi said:
Right, I'm getting The Witcher and one more.

Painkiller Black, Titan Quest Gold or Ghostbusters? Or something else below £7/$10? Which one, guys?

Altitude and/or World of Goo if you don´t already own them.

Top Bottom