• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2009 Begins! (Dec 22nd - Jan 3rd)

TrAcEr_x90 said:
ok, one friggin last purchase!

world of goo or the killing floor??? what youguys think?

I have World of Goo for WiiWare and it's really fun. I haven't played Killing Floor, but from the previews it looks pretty generic. I'd say go for the Goo.

Firehead

TrAcEr_x90 said:
ok, one friggin last purchase!

world of goo or the killing floor??? what youguys think?
Killing Floor, I suppose.

Now for my last purchase - Machinarium, The Void or Champions Online?

Nelo Ice

Banned
well im done with the sale i spent way more than i should have

so no no more staring at jedi knight collection or even the cheap games like the shadowgrounds pack or sniper elite :lol

iammeiam

KiKaL said:
Whats the best Prince of Persia to go with? I haven't played one since the side scrolling one like 15 years ago. Prince of Persia looks interesting with its graphic style but whats the best of the series to jump into? Also debating about just getting maybe the pack.

You'd need to either go with Sands of Time (since Warrior Within and Two Thrones are parts 2 and 3 of the trilogy Sands starts), or PoP 2008 which is completely unrelated to the other 3. 2008 is completely different in gameplay, story, and characters, and is widely considered inferior to the other three. It's gorgeous and I actually kind of enjoyed the almost-on-autopilot gameplay, but it's definitely the odd man out. I'd say to go with the pack, but if you only pick one, go with Sands of Time.

bengraven

Still PISSED OFF that Sacred 2 was never on a daily deal.

"Released Nov. 2008" and yet it's still $50? Fuck you Ascaron, I'm never buying it for that price and we'll see if I support you in the future.
i did buy sacred gold though but i regret that

Owzers

KiKaL said:
Whats the best Prince of Persia to go with? I haven't played one since the side scrolling one like 15 years ago. Prince of Persia looks interesting with its graphic style but whats the best of the series to jump into? Also debating about just getting maybe the pack.

Anything but Warrior Within. I'd go with Sands of Time if you haven't played that.

Atilac

Butchers Bill:
Torchlight: 10
Indigo Prophecy: 3.30
Zombie Shooter 2: 2.49
GTA4: 7.50
Serious Sam: 10
Red Faction Guerrilla: 10
Lumines base + advanced: 7.49
Dead Space: 10.51
Burnout Paradise: 10
Mr. Robot: 2
Mass Effect: 5
Trials 2: 2
Batman AA: 33.49
fuel: 4.99

total: 118.77

bengraven said:
Still PISSED OFF that Sacred 2 was never on a daily deal.

"Released Nov. 2008" and yet it's still $50?

It's only $20 at Amazon. I got it for $10 from GoGamer.com in their Black Friday sale.

KiKaL said:

Whatever you do, stay far away from the modern one. Don't be fooled by its pretty visuals.

Jak140

I'm going to buy the left for dead 2 four pack and split it with my friends, but I'll have one extra copy. If anyone with a steam account is interested in buying the last copy for $25 and has paypal, send me a pm.

EDIT: Sold to TrAcEr_x90. Thanks!

Dambrosi

Banned
brain_stew said:
That's a fair point, they're pretty similar. I actually picked up both in the sale, I wasn't going to get Torchlight but couldn't pass it up at £3 odd.

Do you have the Shadowgrounds pack? That's pretty damn great value.
Funny you should mention that - I got the first Shadowgrounds for FREE from GameTap a few days ago :lol

Here's my current tally, if it helps:

Audiosurf
Battlefield 2 Complete
Bioshock
Lumines w/Advanced pack
Mass Effect
Max Payne bundle
Osmos
Portal
STALKER
Street Fighter 4
Torchlight
And soon to be The Witcher

Any other suggestions, GAF? Has to be under £7/$10.

Polk said:
4pak is £60.27 or $100.47. So 1 copy is £15 or $25
Aaaahhh, a bit too rich for my blood, though still a great deal. Thanks, though.

So anyone on if red faction II works? I bought red faction and then when I went to buy the second it says it doesn't work on new videocards. Has there been any fix or it's not as widespread as suggested?

Minsc

Gold Member
Dr. Zoidberg said:
Well, as others have said: Lame last day and disappointing for those who have followed the sale all along. I guess it's time for all the stragglers to admit defeat and pick up the Witcher. It's still a great price.

So I've been wondering, and I'm sure this has been brought up before, but despite everyone's misgivings about DD, everybody seems to "trust" Valve/Steam on this. Isn't it entirely possible that they could sell the service at some point for a pile of cash to someone who mishandles it and either ruins it, goes out of business, or decides to shut it down? Due to the way the DRM works, what will happen to the hundreds of games we have bought?

If Steam were to get shutdown (sold, discontinued in it's current form, or turned in to a DRM hell)... interesting to think about, but seems pretty unlikely to me, more so now than before I was invested in it.

Valve has said they have some sort of unlock code they could use to release their Steam games, but I highly doubt that would extent past Valve games, as any 3rd party game you'd want to play probably wouldn't allow the unlock to happen to their IP.

Whole thing is extremely unlikely, but absolute worst case scenario is someone would end up hacking a custom version of steam to just bypass the protection if the need was strong enough.

Can you check your purchase history somewhere? Never mind. Found it.

€3.79 - Crash Time 2
€4.99 - Driver: Parallel Lines -
€4.99 - Culpa Innata -
€45.99 - Eidos Collector Pack -
€7.49 - Grand Theft Auto IV (EU) -
€4.99 - IL-2 Sturmovik: 1946 -
€7.49 - Penumbra: Black Plague - Gold Edition -
€6.69 - Sid Meier's Pirates! -
€1.39 - Sniper Elite -
€2.00 - STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl -
€10.19 - The Witcher: Enhanced Edition (ROW) -
€3.33 per game

Also bought Machinarium+Samorost 2, the Shatter soundtrack, Sanitarium and Time Gentlemen, Please from the developers and gog.com for $1-10. And Medal of Honor: Airborne from EA for free.

1) What one Steam purchase you made during this sale are you the most pleased with? Why?
Haven't even managed to play a fourth of these games yet, but so far it's GTA IV. Fooling around with the handling.dat file and such is part of what I loved about GTA III. To me it's sort of nostalgic, and still a lot of fun.

2) What one Steam purchase from this sale are you least pleased with? Why?
Probably The Witcher. Already owned it on disc and it was the most expensive single purchase. Also my PC hates it for whatever reason. Don't know what I was thinking really.

3) How much did you spend on this sale? (Estimates are fine.)
Total damage: €100
Pretty impressive how I managed to buy stuff for exactly 100 if I may say so.

4) What will you do differently next year?
Not buy games I already own.

Jak140 said:
I'm going to buy the left for dead 2 four pack and split it with my friends, but I'll have one extra copy. If anyone with a steam account is interested in buying the last copy for $25 and has paypal, send me a pm.
pm'd

cory

Banned
Updated because I got Ben There, Dan That and Time Gentlemen, Please!.

FINAL RESULT:
Steam:10 Cory:9

Bold = Best Purchases

Time Gentlemen, Please! and Ben There, Dan That! Double Pack - $2.49
Altitude - $7.49
Unreal Deal - $13.59
Trials 2: Second Edition - $2.49
Osmos - $1.99
Left 4 Dead - $7.49
Jade Empire - $3.75
Dead Space - $10.19
Day of Defeat: Source - $2.49
Serious Sam HD - $9.99
Beyond Good and Evil - $4.49
Droplitz - $4.99
Zombie Bowl-O-Rama - $0.99
Indigo Prophecy - $3.39
Outrun2006 Coast 2 Coast - $2.49
Puzzle Quest - $4.99
Defense Grid: The Awakening - $2.49
Lucasarts Adventure Bundle - $2.49
Braid - $2.49

Total: $91.27 and 19 items/27 games
or $4.80 per item (including games within packs $3.38 per game)
I averaged $7.02 per day over 13 days

JdFoX187 said:
Picked up Batman: Arkham Asylum and Ghostbusters: The Video Game. Thought about getting The Witcher, but I have too many games I haven't even opened yet. Oh well, it will probably be a mid-week or weekend deal some time soon.

The Witcher already was a weekend deal, not so long ago. I think you should buy now and save it for the future.

Twig

Banned
My shameful damage. Ended up leaving everything on the list because I'm a terrible person.

Grand Theft Auto IV (US/AU) 7.49 USD
Red Faction Guerrilla 9.99 USD
Battlefield 2 7.49 USD
Cogs 1.99 USD
Torchlight 4.99 USD
Dead Space 10.19 USD
Zombie Driver 2.49 USD
Killing Floor 4.99 USD
Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box 7.49 USD
Mr. Robot 1.99 USD
Jade Empire 3.75 USD
Crysis Complete (NA) 13.59 USD
Shattered Horizon 4.99 USD
Max Payne Bundle 3.74 USD
Mass Effect 4.99 USD
Zombie Shooter 2 2.49 USD
Complete Shooter Pack 3.74 USD
Hinterland 6.49 USD
Time Gentlemen, Please! 2.49 USD
Lucasarts Adventure Bundle 2.49 USD
Samorost 2 2.49 USD
Machinarium 9.99 USD
The Bard's Tale 7.49 USD
Ghostbusters: The Videogame 6.79 USD
Outrun2006 Coast 2 Coast 2.49 USD
Aquaria 9.99 USD
And Yet It Moves 4.99 USD
Zombie Bowl-O-Rama 0.99 USD
Foreign Legion: Buckets of Blood 1.39 USD
Unreal Deal 13.59 USD

TOTAL 168.06 USD

43 games overall, with the packs. ~3.91 USD per game. Nice.

KiKaL

Thanks for the advice. I ended up getting the PoP pack. First I was just going to get Sands of Time, then I was like well I can spend $10 and get the other two now also instead of $20 later...then I realized I was $8 dollars away from getting all of them....good game steam...good game

Just a month or two ago, Steam peaked 2,000,000 concurrent users logged in and the peak has stayed around that number until the beginning of the Holiday Sales. Now it's up to 2,600,000 concurrent users logged in lol

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Firehead said:

Machinarium2.png

Serious.

Twig

Banned
crimsonheadGCN said:
Just a month or two ago, Steam broke 2,000,000 concurrent users and it's stayed around that mark until the Holiday Sales. Now it's up to 2,600,000 concurrent users lol
holy shit

Dynoro

Sorry if this has been asked before; but how does Borderlands play on ATi cards? I have a feeling I heard problems on launch

Dynoro said:
Sorry if this has been asked before; but how does Borderlands play on ATi cards? I have a feeling I heard problems on launch
It's fine on my 4850 512mb if that helps.

Things i bought in the sales:

£11.50
Sam and Max Season One + Two Pack,
Mass Effect

£3.49
Starwars Republic Commando

£11.91
Lucasarts Jedi Knight Bundle,
Lucasarts Adventure Bundle,
Time Gentlemen, Please!, Ben There, Dan That
Judge Dredd: Dredd vs Death

£1.74
The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition

£33.98
Ghostbusters: The Videogame,
THQ Complete Pack

Total: £62.62 - nice :)

I am makeing my way through Max Payne 2 with cinema 2.0 and loving the hell out of it. After that I will have Stalker (which I never played), Tomb Raider: Underworld (which I am uncertain about) and Dead Space (which I can never get past the first 10 minutes of even after trying 5 times). So I guess what I am asking is for some recommendations on Steam now for a solid game that I could play for a few hours straight rather than a bite sized game that you would play for 15 minutes a pop.

Mama Robotnik said:
Anyone having any trouble playing via Paypal? I've been attempting this for nearly an hour now.
Yes . . . paypal has been totally dead for me today. I had to do everything with a credit card.

GWX

Firehead said:

Listen to the guys that mentioned Machinarium and you won't regret it.

Xavien

Grand Total for me:

Defense Grid: The Awakening
Mass Effect
Medieval II: Total War (ROW)
Multiwinia + Darwinia
Shattered Horizon
Left 4 Dead
Jade Empire (ROW)
Dead Space
Braid
Torchlight
Prince of Persia: The Warrior Within
Armed and Dangerous
Prince of Persia: Two Thrones
Grand Theft Auto IV (UK)
STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl
Mirror's Edge
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Clear Sky (EU)
Broken Sword: Twin Pack
Trine
World of Goo
Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena
Rome: Total War Gold
Evil Genius

Sorta went overboard but it was worth it, going to take days to download all those games though.

vazel

Banned
Dynoro said:
It's heavy on the gpu. I had to lower the res to 1280x960 to get average 30-40fps on my 4850.

GAMES I PURCHASED
Outrun 2006 Coast 2 Coast $2.49
Overlord $2.99
Trials 2: Second Edition $2.49
Mass Effect $4.99
Street Fighter IV $9.99
Crysis Complete $13.59
Zombie Driver $4.99
Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box $7.49
Defense Grid: The Awakening $2.49
TrackMania United Forever $19.99
Indigo Prophecy $3.39
Mirror's Edge $4.99
STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl $2.00
Trine $4.99

STATS
Number of Games: 14
Total Cost: $86.87
Average Game Cost: $6.21
(Not counting Trackmania, the average cost is $5.15)

FURTHER NOTES
Purchases I'm happiest about: Burnout, Trine, Crysis, SF4
Purchases I'm less amped about: TrackMania (because of price), Outrun

VibratingDonkey said:
I suddenly feel an urge to get a WW2 flight sim.

€2.49 - Pacific Fighters
€4.99 - IL-2 Sturmovik 1946
€2.49 - Combat Wings: Battle of Britain

Any others I should be aware of before picking one? And which one should that be? Got a feeling it's the middle one.
Yeah, i think I'm just getting the Ubi WW2 pack. Been staring it all weak. IL-2 is supposed to be great.

Dynoro

vazel said:
It's heavy on the gpu. I had to lower the res to 1280x960 to get average 30-40fps on my 4850.

SuperEnemyCrab said:
Borderlands ran great on my ATI 5850, but you really have to enable vsync in that game.

Thanks guys; this bodes well as I'm on a 5850

Top Bottom