• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2009 Begins! (Dec 22nd - Jan 3rd)

Baha

Since everybody is doing it, my final game tally:

STALKER - $2
Dawn of War 2 - $20
The Witcher - $13.59
Oddworld Pack = $2.49
Lucas Arts Adventure Pack - $2.49
Zombie Shooter 2 - $2.49
Mass Effect - $5
Trials 2 - $2.49
Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter - $5
Rainbow Six Vegas 2 - $5
Splinter Cell Chaos Theory - $5
Sniper Elite - $2

Roughly $67 usd/$70 cad.

Kasreyn

Neo Member
JADS said:
2) What one Steam purchase from this sale are you least pleased with? Why?
Grand Theft Auto IV. Shitty PC port with no AA option and stupid Rockstar Social, awesome! I spent a few hours trying to make the game look passable but I have giving up on it.

I somewhat feel the same way. But I think my 2GB RAM is too little when OS eats up atleast 700MB. Running on Vista GF 8800GT I turned everything down and still it's not performing great.

Don't even bother with antialiasing, it would only make it worse.

Anyone got some advice on how to make it run better ?

What is the bottleneck for this game, CPU or GPU? My AMD 64 X2 4800+ is running 100% so I'm guessing CPU.

It seems to run better at start and degrade over time with slower framerate and more graphical glitches. To the point where every object in the world vanish and you're driving around on a big white field. Usually ending with Nico flying out of the windshield :D

GHG

Gold Member
So bought Dark Sector, Indigo Prophecy, Splinter Cell: CT and Splinter Cell: DA to complete my haul for the sale. This is what I got:

Indigo Prophecy
Dark Sector
Splintercell: Chaos Theory
SplinterCell: Double Agent
Eidos Collector Pack,
Morrowind Game of the Year
Sid Meier's Civilization IV: The Complete Edition
Prey
Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box
Killing Floor
Madballs in... Babo:Invasion
Gothic 3
Ghostbusters: The Videogame
Shadowgrounds Survivor and Shadowgrounds
Time Gentlemen, Please!
Grand Theft Auto IV (UK)
Outrun2006 Coast 2 Coast

Total cost of £98.48

41 games in total, so £2.40 a game.

Oh... dear...

My wallet weeps and my backlog is HUGE. I've now got enough games on steam to last me a lifetime :lol .

Kasreyn said:
I somewhat feel the same way. But I think my 2GB RAM is too little when OS eats up atleast 700MB. Running on Vista GF 8800GT I turned everything down and still it's not performing great.

What is the bottleneck for this game, CPU or GPU? My AMD 64 X2 4800+ is running 100% so I'm guessing CPU.

It seems to run better at start and degrade over time with slower framerate and more graphical glitches. To the point where every object in the world vanish and you're driving around on a big white field. Usually ending with Nico flying out of the windshield :D

This has been posted in the thread several times, it's a great resource for GTAIV PC:

http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=397064

Indeed it is a very CPU intensive game, but remember it's also "future proofed" for better hardware so it pays to take a look at the console settings and go up from there.

Dynoro

Kasreyn said:

Turn off the clip recording as thats kills the framerate; especially over time

RollerCoaster Tycoon 3: Platinum
10.19 USD
Hitman Collection
13.39 USD
Rome: Total War Gold
2.49 USD
The Heroes Pack
19.96 USD
World in Conflict: Complete
9.99 USD
Command and Conquer: Red Alert 3 - Uprising
6.79 USD
X3: Gold
14.99 USD
Painkiller: Collectors Pack (NA)
8.74 USD
Shattered Horizon
4.99 USD
Killing Floor
4.99 USD
The Witcher: Enhanced Edition
13.59 USD
Lucasarts Jedi Knight Bundle
9.99 USD
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Clear Sky (ROW)
4.99 USD
Star Wars: KOTOR
4.99 USD
Ghostbusters: The Videogame
6.79 USD
Torchlight
9.99 USD
Defense Grid: The Awakening
2.49 USD
Mirror's Edge
4.99 USD
Left 4 Dead 2
33.49 USD

Grand Total : 187.83

Ohhhh Crap....... I bought most of them separately so they added up quick. I think I made like 7 different transaction because of daily deals.

Guess thats it for me for the sale then! Here's what I bought:

Outrun C2C
id complete pack
Unreal Deal pack
Hearts of Iron 3
Street Fighter IV
Civ 4 complete
Penumbra Collection

Most of the other notable deals I already owned. Now to find time to play them all!

Salaadin

So are there any reccomendations for tweaking Crysis to look better other than what the in game settings allow? I can currently run Crysis at 1920x1080 on High settings and 2x AA and it looks gorgeous but Im all for any tips on getting it to look even better. If I bump everything to very high, it sticks around 30 FPS for the most part but dips down to 25FPS at some parts, mainly when theres a lot going on so I stick with High.

EDIT: Intel i5 750 Quad Core, Radeon HD 5850, 4 GB RAM.

Q8D3vil

i recommend buying killing floor
this game is so addicting

dont compare it to l4d because its different
but i can say that the gunplay are far ahead of l4d

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Anybody kept any Shattered Horizon copies from a unused 4-pack? I have a couple friends that didn't want to play the game and, after i sent them a guest pass after i bought it for 5 bucks now totally want them, and regret not jumping in.

Defcon said:
How long before you'll be able to actually download the games?

I seem to have dodged a bullet with this. Much to my surprise I haven't had any problems at all downloading during the sale and the downloads have mostly maxed out my connection. I am in the UK though.

Firebrand

LovingSteam said:
HURRRY!! FUEL IS $4.99 buy it before they change it

Euro-Steam redeemed.

2dvlt3l.jpg

NIN90

Q8D3vil said:
i recommend buying killing floor
this game is so addicting

dont compare it to l4d because its different
but i can say that the gunplay are far ahead of l4d

KF is fuck awesome and I agree.

Also:
GET KILLING FLOOR 3.75$
GET KILLING FLOOR 3.75$

NIN90

vazel said:
Yea let's not let ourselves get to hyped up for whatever current game you're playing at the moment.

To be honest Valve are not that great at gunplay. The guns in L4D fell kind of off to me.

cory

Banned
Before this fall, I just had The Orange Box and Audiosurf.
Going into the sale I had 40 games.
Now I have 67.

nyong

Banned
While L4D stomps the hell out of KF in polish and content, I have to agree that the gunplay is superior in KF. Both are damn good games.

Hmm Fuel is £2.99 here in the UK and adds to the cart just fine. So, it it any good, was a little iffy on the demo but that's super cheap.

Koshiba

Jive Turkey said:
I just checked and I TRIPPLED my Steam library with this sale...

I didn't have a steam library before this sale.. :lol Including gifted stuff to me I got Audiosurf, Braid, Half-Life 2, Left4dead 2, Torchlight, Bioshock and S.T.A.L.K.E.R. :D

NIN90

nyong said:
While LF4 stomps the hell out of KF in polish and content, I have to agree that the gunplay is superior in KF. Both are damn good games.

Yeah but how can you compare in polish a game that is currently offered for 3,75$ to a VALVE game? Freaking impossible.

Firehead

LovingSteam said:
HURRRY!! FUEL IS $4.99 buy it before they change it
I hate you. I was going to just spend $10 on the last day, but I end up buying this as well.
I love you.

Also, got Machinarium and Harvest.

Mrbob

Fuel really isn't that good. Not a bad buy if you want something to play, but I don't know if I would want to dedicate my free time to that game. Especially with my growing backlog from this holiday sale.

Shame, they should have ended with a bang.

Sorta want to get Fallout 3. But I'll wait till it drops further.

Stuff I've bought:

Unreal Deal
Id Pack
Burnout Paradise
Shattered Horizon
Mass Effect

Managed to restrain myself quite well.

NIN90 said:
To be honest Valve are not that great at gunplay. The guns in L4D fell kind of off to me.
For me it's the opposite. I love the feel of the Magnum and Auto-Shotty especially in L4D2. In KF the guns feel like toys to me, having to use iron sights makes it feel a bit off. KF makes up for the gun play with weapon variety. Just my opinion though, it seems I am outnumbered :lol.

My Haul:

Trine
Morrowind Game of the Year
Mass Effect
Half-Life 1: Source
Multiwinia + Darwinia
Broken Sword: Twin Pack
Medieval II: Total War (ROW)
King's Quest Collection
Killing Floor
Lumines Base + Advance Pack
Torchlight
Elf Bowling: Hawaiian Vacation
Battlefield 2
Outrun2006 Coast 2 Coast
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Clear Sky (EU)
Rome: Total War Gold
Time Gentlemen, Please!
The Witcher: Enhanced Edition (ROW)
Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena
Braid
Lucasarts Adventure Bundle
Indigo Prophecy
Defense Grid: The Awakening

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Goddamnit, none of my transactions are going through.

randomlyrossy said:
Even at that stupidely low price I wouldn't pick up Fuel. The demo was pretty terrible. Dull as all hell.

Hmm, I love it! I have always wanted a game that lets you free ride and that has great environments and this has both.

vazel

Banned
NIN90 said:
What do you mean by off? Compared to real guns? Or compared to sim games like Arma?

Oh man, it is way too easy to buy games once your card details are saved by Steam. Literally two clicks and 10 seconds and bam, its bought.

FUEL bought.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
brain_stew said:
Hmm Fuel is £2.99 here in the UK and adds to the cart just fine. So, it it any good, was a little iffy on the demo but that's super cheap.
The demo was a bit dodgy but hey, It's a racer and it's £3, bought.

Steam, I hate you.
brain_stew said:
Oh man, it is way too easy to buy games once your card details are saved by Steam. Literally two clicks and 10 seconds and bam, its bought.

FUEL bought.
Same, click, click, click, money gone. FUEL bought here too.

Metalic Sand said:
Being cheap wont make it good.
I think one of the Rock Paper Shotgun people said they enjoyed it a lot. One of their best experiences this year. Bad game but they just enjoyed driving around.

NIN90 said:

Wow, remind me not to listen you when it comes to shooters in future discussions.

Valve's guns feel fucking awesome. Especially L4D's weapons.

Stop It said:
The demo was a bit dodgy but hey, It's a racer and it's £3, bought.

Steam, I hate you.

That was my exact train of though, 10 seconds later I own it. Holy crap, Steam has us by the balls. :lol

Suairyu

Banned
brain_stew said:
I'll pay £2.99 just for the chance to recreate Jim Rossignol's 8 hour tour of the world.

Seriously, I was waiting for this game all through-out the sale. Even if the driving mechanics turn out to be unimpressive, the chance to just drive for a few hours and come across some stunning virtual vistas is the kind of thing that illogically grabs my interest for longer than is normal.

Ripclawe

Banned
my first impressions of the main charactrer in Mass Effect is can they make him anymore monotone? Sheesh. Still getting used to the controls and whoever designed the resolution choice screen should be slapped.

Kasreyn

Neo Member
mrgone said:
Anyone played FlatOut on PC?

You mean FlatOut 1? Graphics havn't aged well but it's still fun to play. Or you can get one of the sequels which look better but steer into the Burnout arcady direction.

The FlatOuts is why I got the Strategy First Complete Pack a while ago. They're excellent games.

Top Bottom