• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2009 Begins! (Dec 22nd - Jan 3rd)

Atilac

Salaadin said:
So are there any reccomendations for tweaking Crysis to look better other than what the in game settings allow? I can currently run Crysis at 1920x1080 on High settings and 2x AA and it looks gorgeous but Im all for any tips on getting it to look even better. If I bump everything to very high, it sticks around 30 FPS for the most part but dips down to 25FPS at some parts, mainly when theres a lot going on so I stick with High.

EDIT: Intel i5 750 Quad Core, Radeon HD 5850, 4 GB RAM.
turn off normal AA and use edge aa. Also turn everything to veryhigh and force anisotropric filtering through the catalyst control center, no need to skimp on the graphics with a 5850. I certainly don't with my 4890

read up on autoexec.cfg for crysis. its a way of tweaking the game in ways the normal options do not allow. I recommend tweak guides crysis

my autoexec.cfg is as follows:
con_restricted=0 (which enables the use of toying around with options)
g_enableAutoSave=0 (Disables autosaves, to remove those annoying save stutters during gameplay)
r_UseEdgeAA=2 (Makes the trees and plants look nicer)
e_lods=0 (Disables level of detail reduction)
r_displayinfo=0 (Disables fps being shown if I'm running in debug mode)
r_DepthOfField=0 (Disables depth of field because I hate that visual trick with a passion)
cl_crouchtoggle=1 (Makes crouching a toggle instead of an hold)
r_TexturesStreaming=0 (insures that textures are loaded before hand and not streamed on the fly, even though I run the 64bit version I force it just in case)

JiliK

Let's survey the damage :lol

Lucasarts Adventure Bundle
Space Quest Collection
King's Quest Collection
Indigo Prophecy
RIP Trilogy
Zombie Bowl-O-Rama
Red Faction
Lumines Base + Advance Pack
Foreign Legion: Buckets of Blood
Zombie Driver
Max Payne Bundle
Luxor 3
Zombie Shooter
Lucasarts Jedi Knight Bundle
Morrowind Game of the Year
STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl

Total: €43.81 - A bit more than I was planing to spend, but not too bad. It's still about €15 less than the average PS3/360 game.

Salaadin said:
So are there any reccomendations for tweaking Crysis to look better other than what the in game settings allow? I can currently run Crysis at 1920x1080 on High settings and 2x AA and it looks gorgeous but Im all for any tips on getting it to look even better. If I bump everything to very high, it sticks around 30 FPS for the most part but dips down to 25FPS at some parts, mainly when theres a lot going on so I stick with High.

EDIT: Intel i5 750 Quad Core, Radeon HD 5850, 4 GB RAM.

http://www.crymod.com/thread.php?threadid=33088&hilight=mster

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Current List:

Killing Floor
The Witcher: Enhanced Edition
Trine
Trials 2: Second Edition (gift)
Sam and Max Season One + Two Pack
Mass Effect
Multiwinia + Darwinia
Shattered Horizon
Crysis Complete (NA)
Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Max Payne
Mr. Robot
Garry's Mod
The Orange Box
Torchlight
Braid
Borderlands DLC: Dr. Ned
Half-Life 1: Source
QuantZ
Evil Genius
The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition
Mirror's Edge
Lucidity
Borderlands
Star Wars: KOTOR
Osmos
FarCry 2

I may also pick up Defense Grid and maybe Ghostbusters before the sale is over.

Also I have some extra stuff I need to get rid of/trade:

Passes:
1 - Shattered Horizon
2 - Killing Floor

Trade:
Half Life 2
Half Life 2: Episode 1

let me know if anyone is interested with a PM.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Fuck i need to stop reading this thread. I keep reading what everyone else has bought and think "Ooo i wonder how much that is" then check it out and think./ Yeah that seems ok, i'll take one of those please Valve!

So i just bought Deux Ex: GOTY Edition..

So total games purchased:

Borderlands
Cogs
Darwinia + Multiwinia
Deux Ex: GOTY Edition
Ghostbusters
Max Payne 1/2 Bundle
Shattered Horizon
Torchlight
Stalker: Shadow Of Chernobyl
Ben There! Dan That! + Time Gentlemen, Please!

*cough*

Would anyone gift me STALKER, as I think my steam account is screwed. Nothing will go through. I will probably have to sort things out with my creditcard to make it work, and that wont be sorted until after the deal ends. I promise to pay you back in the future with any game you want of similar price

MNC

I'd like to try Shattered Horizon, but I just know it's not going to run on my laptop. So disregard this message :D

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Keyser Soze said:
*cough*

Would anyone gift me STALKER, as I think my steam account is screwed. Nothing will go through. I will probably have to sort things out with my creditcard to make it work, and that wont be sorted until after the deal ends. I promise to pay you back in the future with any game you want of similar price

PM me your info dude.

All that I've purchase through holiday and pre-holiday sales

Trine
Street Fighter IV
Crysis Complete
Torchlight
Cogs
Left 4 Dead 2
Braid
Tomb Raider: Underworld
Mirror's Edge
Grid
Batman: Arkham Asylum

$116.12 CAD. A rather tiny list compared to some of you. Its because I already own of the games that went on sale.

cornontheCoD

Neo Member
Undecided on Torchlight. I really shouldn't be buying many games, but I've heard good things about it.

Could someone post their impressions/pros and cons?

Firebrand

cornontheCoD said:
Undecided on Torchlight. I really shouldn't be buying many games, but I've heard good things about it.

There's a demo on Steam.

Delerat

Neo Member
cornontheCoD said:

If you liked Diablo 2 then buy it. It's got what was good about Diablo 2(minus the multiplayer runs), but fixes some things as well and uses some ideas I've seen in Diablo 3 like auto-grabbing gold, etc. I've owned it 2 days and put 10 hours in.

GHG

Gold Member
Suairyu said:
I'll pay £2.99 just for the chance to recreate Jim Rossignol's 8 hour tour of the world.

Seriously, I was waiting for this game all through-out the sale. Even if the driving mechanics turn out to be unimpressive, the chance to just drive for a few hours and come across some stunning virtual vistas is the kind of thing that illogically grabs my interest for longer than is normal.

That just sold me on the game. For £2.99 can't go wrong really.

Dambrosi

Banned
Right, guys - I've decided on getting The Witcher, and am now considering A Reckless Disregard For Gravity. What does GAF think - should I go back to Painkiller, or is neon-bloomed base-jumping the "in thing" with the Steam crowd?

kennah

cornontheCoD said:

IT IS AWESOME AND LOOTY AND HAS A NEATO PLOT AND YOU GET A PET DOG OR CAT THAT WILL CAST SPELLS FOR YOU AND THERE ARE LOTS OF UNIQUE WEAPONS AND DID I MENTION IT IS AWESOME

dakilla13

Since Thanksgiving:

SW: KoToR
Mirror's Edge
Torchlight
DoD: Source
Killing Floor

Total - $27.20

Not bad considering I could have definitely added to my significant backlog

MNC

vocab said:
It's the source engine, not the gunplay. Every game with the source engine feels like that. The game play in Valves games are great, but it's the engine that makes that experience different. Take a look at the sound engine, it's horrible. Why do you think the guns sound weak? Because every source engine game sounds muffled. Directional sound in Source is no where near what the original Half Life engine had.
L4D2 is quite improved on this with some weapons. And I always found the Machine gun rifle sound powerful. Other than that, agreed. But if you don't mind this gripe... You're in for a fucking treat with Valve games.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Oh and if everyone's being generous. I wanted Dragon Age but never got it because it didn't come cheap enough for me.
So would someone be kind enough to gift it me? That'd be great ;)

Smash88

Banned
Big props goes to KENNAAAHHHHH! :lol

Thanks for picking me for the Mass Effect contest as funniest, and thanks for gifting me another game, because I got it a bit earlier (from a friend), prior to finding out that I won. :lol

So big shout out for KENNAAAHHHHH!

Thanks again bud. :D

Cindres said:
Oh and if everyone's being generous. I wanted Dragon Age but never got it because it didn't come cheap enough for me.

I'll take one as well, thanks!:D

The final damages:

Serious Sam HD $10
Torchlight $5
Team Fortress 2 $10
C&C 3 $11
Mass Effect $5
Osmos $5
X3: Terran Conflict $10
Medieval 2: Total War $5
CoH: Tales of Valor $7
Jade Empire $5
King's Bounty: Armored Princess $10
Portal $5
Civ IV Complete $13

TOTAL: $101

STEAM WINS! I WIN!........ free time loses

Big thanks to wenis, along with others that offered to Send me STALKER. GAF is too awesome for words! ...well, the GAF Steam community anyway :p

Firehead

Hm.. should we have a 2010 edition of this topic (actually, it didn't even make it passed 2008)?

Cindres said:
Yeah, I would've bought it had it been cheaper.

Well, I´m down to the last five possible buys to consider.

Aquaria
Company of Heroes Gold
The Path
X3
Zeno Clash

I might hold of with the Company of Heroes Pack since that series is almost always on some kind of deals, but the prices on Aquaria and Zeno Clash are pretty nice.

Slavik81

Cindres said:
If you don't think it's worth spending your own money on, why would anyone think it's worth buying it for you? Good luck finding someone that generous.

Volcynika

CecilRousso said:
Well, I´m down to the last five possible buys to consider.

Aquaria
Company of Heroes Gold
The Path
X3
Zeno Clash

I might hold of with the Company of Heroes Pack since that series is almost always on some kind of deals, but the prices on Aquaria and Zeno Clash are pretty nice.

Highly recommend Aquaria. Fun game to get lost in and amazing music.

Great King Bowser

Property of Kaz Harai
kennah said:
IT IS AWESOME AND LOOTY AND HAS A NEATO PLOT AND YOU GET A PET DOG OR CAT THAT WILL CAST SPELLS FOR YOU AND THERE ARE LOTS OF UNIQUE WEAPONS AND DID I MENTION IT IS AWESOME

WHAT HE SAID AND ALSO IT'S MY FIRST LOOT WHORING GAME AND I LOVE IT.

Lkr

how is the gta 4 modding community? that is the only thing preventing me from buying it is i don't know how it is

ATF487

Eidos Collector Pack
Sam and Max Season One + Two Pack
Street Fighter IV
Max Payne Bundle
Super ID Software Pack
Dark Sector (NA)
Unreal Deal
Outrun2006 Coast 2 Coast
Torchlight

I think it ended up being $135 or so, pretty good considering all the shit I got in those packs. I'll be (hopefully) playing these for years

Torchlight is the only game I've picked up from this sale. I swear GAF, if you have over-hyped me on this I will never trust you again.

Installing now.

Welp here's my haul so far and I'm not even sure if I'm done but I think I am.

Star Wars Republic Commando
The Dig
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
Loom
Braid
Outrun 2006 Coast 2 Coast
Time Gentlemen, Please!
Ben There, Dan That
Space Quest Collection
Indigo Prophecy
Cogs
Torchlight
Lumines Base + Advance Pack
Zombie Driver
Killing Floor
Max Payne
Max Payne II
Civilization IV
Civilization IV: Beyond the Sword
Civilization IV: Colonization
Civilization IV: Warlords
Crysis
Crysis Warhead
Crysis Wars
Shattered Horizon
Darwinia
Multiwinia
Street Fighter IV
Mass Effect
Trials 2: Second Edition
Trine
Zombie Shooter 2
Alien Shooter 2
Sherlock Holmes vs Jack the Ripper
Silent Hunter III

37 games for a total of $122.85 or an average of $3.32 per game.

Sloegr

Soka said:
Torchlight is the only game I've picked up from this sale. I swear GAF, if you have over-hyped me on this I will never trust you again.

Installing now.

You can't really blame GAF on this one. There's a very generous demo available for the game. It was enough to dissuade me from a purchase, but I'm not a big fan of the loot genre (Diablo series excluded). If you like the genre as a whole, I think you'll appreciate the game.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Max Payne Bundle worth it? Never played the games before.
Also deabting SC:Chaos Theory even though i have it on PS2, thoughts?

vanty

What's up with Stalker? I bought it for $2 or whatever like a week ago, now it's a daily deal again but it's $15 cut to $13... :lol I'm in Australia by the way.

Has anyone's Steam crashed while trying to download a game, such as Grand Theft Auto 4? I keep on getting the following error:

Faulting application Steam.exe, version 1.0.0.0, time stamp 0x4aaadaf8, faulting module Steam.dll, version 2.0.772.381, time stamp 0x4b0eb829, exception code 0xc0000409, fault offset 0x001e4170, process id 0x1768, application start time 0x01ca8cc06c9c6097.

Top Bottom