• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2009 Begins! (Dec 22nd - Jan 3rd)

Stitch

Gold Member
I'm still downloading GTA4 but this mod looks interesting
http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=397854

damn, looks friggin good

1zqu9at.jpg

Chinner

Banned
since the deals have been happening dis has my activity:
Witcher: EE
ID superpack (recieved)
SFIV (sent)
KF (sent)
Fallout 3 GOTY edition
Torchlight
Mass Effect
Sam and Max collection
Crysis Collection

epmode

Dambrosi said:
Right, guys - I've decided on getting The Witcher, and am now considering A Reckless Disregard For Gravity. What does GAF think - should I go back to Painkiller, or is neon-bloomed base-jumping the "in thing" with the Steam crowd?
I really like AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!!

It has the same kind of ONE MORE TRY OH WAIT WHAT TIME IS IT NOW that I get from Trackmania. And it's a really silly game which is always nice. Try the demo!

vazel

Banned
NinjaFridge said:
Max Payne Bundle worth it? Never played the games before.
Also deabting SC:Chaos Theory even though i have it on PS2, thoughts?
Second Max Payne game oozes with cinematic style. I didn't like the first one though.

vanty. said:
What's up with Stalker? I bought it for $2 or whatever like a week ago, now it's a daily deal again but it's $15 cut to $13... :lol I'm in Australia by the way.

Sounds like they added the $2 the wrong way. It's back down to $2 in the US.

neoism

So guys I know Stalker is totally worth 2 dollars:lol :lol But is it basically fallout in Russia, or what? Does it have that exploration that Fallout 3 had!?

neoism said:
So guys I know Stalker is totally worth 2 dollars:lol :lol But is it basically fallout in Russia, or what? Does it have that exploration that Fallout 3 had!?

sort of? It's like a bleaker more depressing version of Fallout 3 with zombies and shit.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
NinjaFridge said:
Max Payne Bundle worth it? Never played the games before.
So good. It's like playing a badass noir comic book. Top notch writing and voice work, and does bullet action time better than most.

Since these holiday sales have started I've purchased:

Killing Floor
Bioshock
Morrowind: Game of the Year Edition
Darwinia
Red Faction: Guerrilla
Audiosurf
Outrun 2006
Grand Theft Auto IV
STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl
Trine
Torchlight
The Last Remnant
Counter: Strike Source
Tomb Raider: Underworld
Mirror's Edge
The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

Drek

neoism said:
Its not an RPG, but it is heavily built on exploration/looting.

Imagine Fallout 3 minus the ugly engine and worthless main storyline. Drop character progression based on levels, SPECIAL numbers, perk selections, etc. and instead have it based entirely on the gear you're using and your own skill at FPS. Instead of an intentionally cheesy old monster movie take on post-apoc world replace it with a graphic, gritty setting in a post-meltdown Chernobyl region. Dramatically improve the gun play mechanics. Make it legitimately challenging in some points. That is Stalker.

Lkr

goddamn it, i bought GTA IV. Like my backlog wasn't big enough already

aaand the steam servers are too busy to process my download request

Stitch said:
I'm still downloading GTA4 but this mod looks interesting
http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=397854

damn, looks friggin good

Bookmark the page but don't install the mod. It looks fantastic already but it crashes GTA like clockwork. Literally like clockwork. For me it was every morning at 7:17, for other people it happens at different times, but always at the same time. Give this awesome lighting mod a little more time before you jump in.

squinters

astigmatic
Ok, planning on picking up Defense Grid, Deus Ex, Beyond Good and Evil, and Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory. I'm tempted to pick up Bioshock and Rome: Total War though.

Thoughts on any of these games?

Korranator

I didn't do too bad

Sniper Elite
STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl
Shadowgrounds Survivor
Shadowgrounds
Heroes of Might and Magic 5
Rome: Total War Gold
Telltale Everything Pack
Serious Sam HD
Red Faction Guerrilla
King's Bounty: Armored Princess
Crysis Complete
Half-Life: Source
Shattered Horizon
Darwinia
The Witcher: Enhanced Edition

total $94.15

Slavik81

squinters said:
Ok, planning on picking up Defense Grid, Deus Ex, Beyond Good and Evil, and Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory. I'm tempted to pick up Bioshock and Rome: Total War though.

Defense Grid is awesome.

fallout

neoism said:
Less emphasis on exploration, and more on scavenging and survival.

Baha

squinters said:

Chaos Theory is great even on kb+mouse, find a co-op buddy if you buy it though (shouldn't be hard convincing someone to spend $5).

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
GAF opinions are so split on Far Cry 2. :lol

I'll take the next five opinions as truth.

So, is Far Cry 2 worth $10?

Stitch

Gold Member
I <3 Memes said:
Bookmark the page but don't install the mod. It looks fantastic already but it crashes GTA like clockwork. Literally like clockwork. For me it was every morning at 7:17, for other people it happens at different times, but always at the same time. Give this awesome lighting mod a little more time before you jump in.
oh, ok :(
are there other good mods i should use?

K.Jack said:
So, is Far Cry 2 worth $10?
it get's really boring after a few hours because you will do the same thing over and over and over again.

Jirotrom said:
ok... so the debate is GTAIV or ghostbusters.... Ive already beat GTAIV never played ghostbusters... how is it on pc?
GTA IV is the much better game. But then again . . . you already played it. Ghostbusters is very entertaining if you liked the movie but the game is kinda short. It is single player only.

drkOne

With so many DotA stand alone clones out there, where does League of Legends stand?
Is there another one better? Is it the best one out there?

fffuuuuuuu...gif

My steam history for the holiday season looks like a spam thread at this point. 60+ games, easily. :lol Is there an easy way to auto-sum it or do I just need to type out the myhistory page?

burgerdog

*Also own on console

Mass Effect*
Street Fighter 4*
Jade Empire*
Outrun2006 Coast to Coast* sort of, if the xbla port counts
Grand Theft Auto 4*
Torchlight
Trine
Braid*
Audiosurf
Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee
Oddworld: Abe's Exoddus
The Last Remnant
Tomb Raider: Underworld
Zeno Clash
Monkey Island Special Edition
Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena*
Mirror's Edge*
Lucidity
Dead Space
Left 4 Dead 2
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic*
Osmos
Dragon Age Deluxe Edition
Plants vs Zombies
Overlord, Overlord: Raising Hell, Overlord II

This list begins with Thanksgiving sale and ends whenever Mass Effect was put on sale. God, judging by how many asterisks I see, I should really stop double dipping. :lol

Bii

Final Fantasy XI Ultimate Collection is only $11. Should I bite? I haven't played an MMO in a while and I've been itching to play one.

blehh

Neo Member
steam has me feeling generous. i didnt want any of today's deals so i will gift somebody their choice of either torchlight, bioshock, killing floor, stalker or defense grid to the first person that guesses my birthday month. (one guess per person)

EDIT: a winner is spwn!

Spwn

My purchases from the sale:

Darwinia
Defence Grid: The Awakening
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
Loom
Lumines
Max Payne
Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Mr. Robot
Multiwinia
Prey
Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter
Sid Meier's Civilization IV
Sid Meier's Civilization IV: Beyond the Sword
Sid Meier's Civilization IV: Colonization
Sid Meier's Civilization IV: Warlords
The Dig
Time Gentlemen Please! + Ben There, Dan That!

Suggestions for the last day? Anything I should get for less than 8€/$? Already got Bioshock from retail and played enough Killing Floor during the free weekend. I have an AMD3500+ processor and Geforce 7600GT video card.

My games:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/spwner/games

Wallach

blehh said:
steam has me feeling generous. i didnt want any of today's deals so i will gift somebody their choice of either torchlight, bioshock, killing floor, stalker or defense grid to the first person that guesses my birthday month. (one guess per person)

Hmm.. January?

squinters

astigmatic
blehh said:
April?

Stitch

Gold Member
blehh said:
march!

meh :( :D

Sloegr

drkOne said:
With so many DotA stand alone clones out there, where does League of Legends stand?

I can't say where it stands, since I've played very little of the genre. You can play for free to see if you like it. You're buying skins, champion unlocks and online store points online when you buy the game.

Narag

blehh said:
August.

Picked up STALKER

downloaded the STALKER Complete 1.4.3 Steam automatic patch and it keeps telling me the game is not installed...although I have already ran it.

Help?

edit: nvm, it started working this time for some reason....

Andvary

blehh said:

December!

Lkr

blehh said:
you were born in July

MNC

blehh said:
June.

drkOne said:
It's probably the best. It's also free to play so you shouldn't pay for one of the suckerpacks that they sell.

squinters

astigmatic
MikeE21286 said:
Picked up STALKER

downloaded the STALKER Complete 1.4.3 Steam automatic patch and it keeps telling me the game is not installed...although I have already ran it.

Help?
Do you mean you have already launched the game and quit out of it? Because that's what I had to do for the Complete patch to recognize my install.

blehh said:

EDIT: a winner is spwn!

Edit: Not even close.

adg1034

My current collection:

Over the sale, I picked up, in alphabetical order:

Aquaria
Bioshock
Borderlands: The Zombie Island of Dr. Ned
Cogs
Freedom Force Pack
GTAIV
Lumines
Outrun 2006: C2C
Red Faction: Guerilla
Serious Sam HD
Sid Meier's Pirates!
Trine
The Void
plus Braid, Evil Genius, and Audiosurf as Christmas gifts, for a grand total of $92.76. Not bad.

Top Bottom