• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2009 Begins! (Dec 22nd - Jan 3rd)

DJ_Lae

kswiston said:
More people should be buying Defense Grid, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and Samorost2. Can't go wrong with great games under $2.50.

In fact, I'll gift one of the three to the first 3 people who ask. The catch is that you have to have participated in this thread before this post. ~9000 posts in this thread. If at least one post so far isn't yours, you're disqualified. I'll check :p

I did the same on another forum with Torchlight - I threatened to buy Torchlight for anyone who hadn't by the end of the sale day.

I'm tempted to do it again.

cms382 said:
Yes I believe so, and patch the first 2 games with this if you need widescreen.
Thanks for the input.

That brings the grand total to:

Day 1: Mirror's Edge, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Clear Sky (ROW), Lucasarts Jedi Knight Bundle, Torchlight, Audiosurf, Star Wars: KOTOR, Lucasarts Adventure Bundle, Thief: Deadly Shadows

Total: $53.33

Day 2: Rainbow Six 3 Gold, Rome: Total War

Total: $7.48

Day 3: King's Bounty: Armored Princess, Red Faction Guerrilla

Total: $19.98

Day 5: Nothing

Day 6: Dead Space

Total: $10.19

Day 7: Nothing

Day 8: Silent Hill: Homecoming, Jade Empire

Total: $13.74

Day 9: Max Payne Bundle

Total: $3.74

Day 10: Shattered Horizon, Street Fighter IV, Crysis Complete (NA)

Total: $28.57

Day 11: Mass Effect

Total: $4.99

Day 12: Trine

Total: $4.99

Today: Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II (NA), Prince of Persia Pack, Grand Theft Auto IV (US/AU)

Total: $49.97

Grand Total: 36 games @ $196.98

Who really needs food anyway?

Slacker

So what other last minute deals would you guys recommend before the sale ends? I'd say:

The Witcher Enhanced Edition for $14. Can't beat that price for a really great RPG.

Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 Platinum for $10. Includes the expansions. Great game to play while the kiddos are awake (then fire up The Witcher at bedtime).

Empire Total War for $25. Totally worth $50, an absolute steal at $25.

Any other recommendations?

Stitch

Gold Member
Is Defense Grid really so good? Even at that price I'm not sure about the game. Played too many Tower Defense games :/

Firestorm

blehh said:
sorry to interrupt again, but i still have the generosity bug up my butt. consider gaf lucky that i've never done anything like this before and the feeling feels good. this one is gonna be a bit harder to make the contest last a little longer. the first person to guess my favorite regular simpsons character gets trine.

some hints: not in the simpsons family
regular but not in most episodes
i havent seen an episode of the simpsons since its tenth season

one guess per poster

EDIT: and if you dont want trine, i'll gift another game of the same monetary value or cheaper. your call!

and i'll be refreshing until i read my favorite character, so everybody keep guessing until you hear from me. dont worry, i'll be here all day
Bumblebee Man
Edit: Wow I was late XD

Stitch said:
Is Defense Grid really so good? Even at that price I'm not sure about the game. Played too many Tower Defense games :/
It's ok. It's a bit too formulaic for me personally. If you like TD games that are free flowing and allow for lots of imagination in your mazing, it kind of sucks. If you don't care about that, and like high production values, some cool towers and whatnot, it's good.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Stitch said:

I like it.. it's pretty straightforward.. but I liked it enough on 360 to pay 2.50.

I think it requires more thinking than most.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I'm trying to go through the spreadsheet and it's too hard. I'm trying to go through the steam store and it's too hard. I dunno what to get :lol

MNC

I really like Defense Grid. First proper Tower Defense game for me and I love the quality it delivers, good strategying and solid gameplay.

Stitch

Gold Member
elrechazao said:
It's ok. It's a bit too formulaic for me personally. If you like TD games that are free flowing and allow for lots of imagination in your mazing, it kind of sucks. If you don't care about that, and like high production values, some cool towers and whatnot, it's good.

Ok, i think you just ruined the game for me :lol
oh well i still have a few hours to decide if it's worth my money.

Reno7728

I have 2 shattered horizons guest passes going for anyone who wants to try it

just quote and post steam names - first come first serve

blehh

Neo Member
3 guest passes to shattered horizon i'll never use either. quote with info!

also, still generous. but i'll be back in a couple of hours with more contests, if that's cool with everybody.

Stitch said:
Ok, i think you just ruined the game for me :lol
oh well i still have a few hours to decide if it's worth my money.
You're not missing that much honestly. I liked playing it once, but I've put in dozens and dozens of hours into simple flash TD games because they had replayability. I beat defense grid once and never touched it again.

biocat

Is Dawn of War II worthwhile?
I don't know if I enjoy RTS games anymore. The last one I played, Universe at War, really bored me, but I do like the Warhammer aesthetic.
Advice?

blehh said:

also, still generous. but i'll be back in a couple of hours with more contests, if that's cool with everybody.
Shattered horizon sounds cool!

Steam: solideliquid

Thanks!!

biocat said:
I don't know if I enjoy RTS games anymore. The last one I played, Universe at War, really bored me, but I do like the Warhammer aesthetic.
Advice?
I'm currently playing it, enjoying quite a bit. Did you like company of heroes? Think company of heroes but with even less resource management. I haven't played the MP, but the campaign is quite long, reminds me of company of heroes meets starcraft sp campaign. Squad based, it's not even like playing an RTS really.

biocat said:
Advice?
I'm really torn on that one too, I would probably initially play it only in single player, do people think its still worth it at 19.99 for primarily single player use?

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
blehh said:

nvmd

K.Sabot

GitarooMan said:
I'm really torn on that one too, I would probably initially play it only in single player, do people think its still worth it at 19.99 for primarily single player use?

It has a very meaty single player game that incorporates stat and skill building elements, as well as a loot system. It can also be played co-op.

Tenks

KaYotiX said:
Is Dawn of Discovery worth it? Im really on the fence, i liked the demo alot but i just cant pull the trigger yet

I really, really enjoy it. I can't express how much it's an immersive experience. If you are looking for combat, however, look the other way. Anno isn't about a combat experience but if you like micromanagement / trade-routing / city scaping then personally I don't think it gets much better than Dawn of Discovery.

I will say that towards the end of the game sometimes it just becomes too damn complicated keeping everyone happy. You need so many resources in so many different locations it sometimes just becomes a headache.

blehh

Neo Member
Solideliquid said:
Shattered horizon sounds cool!

Steam: solideliquid

Thanks!!

hm...can't find your name. whats the email attached to your steam account? or you can add me: papercup

So tempted to bite on FFXI. Still my favorite MMO but I don't know if I want to invest in it again this late in the game. NeoGAF seems to have an extremely active community in it too.

Top Bottom