• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2009 Begins! (Dec 22nd - Jan 3rd)

Yerolo

zedge said:
How's the performance in gta4? Tempted at the price but if it's gonna run like shit then I don't want to bother.

AMD x2 4000
3 gb
9600 gt
vista

GTA4 is very CPU intensive, I have a AMD X2 4600 and the performance is shithouse (ie I struggle to get over 20fps on medium settings). I also have a 9800GT & 4Gb on Win7 x64

Just bought FFXI. What have I done. I swear, half the reason I want it is for that cover art... and I don't even get the cover. :lol

deduce

Wow, I didn't really realize how much I spent on this sale till I started to add it all up. :lol

Here's what I picked up:

Telltale Everything Pack
Outrun2006 Coast 2 Coast
STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl
Defense Grid: The Awakening
Grand Theft Auto IV
The Witcher: Enhanced Edition
Aquaria
Serious Sam HD
Red Faction Guerrilla
Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box
Killing Floor
Osmos
Sid Meier's Civilization IV: The Complete Edition
Shattered Horizon
Multiwinia + Darwinia
Crysis Complete
Trials 2: Second Edition
Freedom Force Pack

Damage to wallet: $165.15

That's not including some gift purchases I made for my friends that were have trouble with Steam.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
DoctorWho said:
Just bought FFXI. What have I done. I swear, half the reason I want it is for that cover art... and I don't even get the cover. :lol

I'm tempted to buy it, only because a few of my friends play it. Not getting a free month is turning me off though.

Slight update
---
Check your purchase history

€3.79 - Crash Time 2
€4.99 - Driver: Parallel Lines -
€4.99 - Culpa Innata -
€45.99 - Eidos Collector Pack -
€7.49 - Grand Theft Auto IV (EU) -
€4.99 - IL-2 Sturmovik: 1946 -
€7.49 - Penumbra: Black Plague - Gold Edition -
€6.69 - Sid Meier's Pirates! -
€1.39 - Sniper Elite -
€2.00 - STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl -
€10.19 - The Witcher: Enhanced Edition (ROW) -
€3.33 per game

Bought Machinarium, Samorost2 and Time Gentlemen, Please! elsewhere.

1) What one Steam purchase you made during this sale are you the most pleased with? Why?
Haven't even managed to play a fourth of these games yet, but so far it's GTA IV. Fooling around with the handling.dat file and such is part of what I loved about GTA III. To me it's sort of nostalgic, and still a lot of fun.

2) What one Steam purchase from this sale are you least pleased with? Why?
Probably The Witcher. Already owned it on disc and it was the most expensive single purchase. Also my PC hates it for whatever reason. Don't know what I was thinking really.

Part of the Eidos Pack, so I can't really single it out, but I'm going to anyway; Battlestations Pacific.
Games For Windows Live won't let me sign in, and thus the game can not save my progress or let me play multiplayer. So, I can't play multiplayer at all and the singleplayer is severely crippled to the point of being nearly worthless. I want my tree fiddy back.

3) How much did you spend on this sale? (Estimates are fine.)
Total damage: €100
Pretty impressive how I managed to buy stuff for exactly 100 if I may say so.

4) What will you do differently next year?
Not buy games I already own. Not buy games which force Games For Windows Live on you.

Just spent 2 hours playing Defense Grid. I am so addicted it's not even funny. How is it that of everything I purchased, I have a feeling this $2.50 gem is going to get the most playtime from me.

crimsonheadGCN said:
Steam Weekly Top Sellers:

#1 - Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
#2 - Crysis® Maximum Edition
#3 - Sid Meier's Civilization® IV: The Complete Edition
#4 - Mass Effect
#5 - Eidos Collector Pack
#6 - Torchlight
#7 - The Orange Box
#8 - Left 4 Dead
#9 - Killing Floor
#10 - BioShock™

http://store.steampowered.com/feeds/weeklytopsellers.xml

:(
:lol
That is awesome. And by awesome I mean awful. Where is the world heading?

Wallach

crimsonheadGCN said:

#4 - Mass Effect
#6 - Torchlight
#7 - The Orange Box
#8 - Left 4 Dead
#9 - Killing Floor
#10 - BioShock™

When I click your link I see L4D2 in #1, Borderlands #4. Rest of the positions are shifted appropriately from your list.

Wallach said:
When I click your link I see L4D2 in #1, Borderlands #4. Rest of the positions are shifted appropriately from your list.

What country are you in? The Steam Weekly Top Sellers are done by region.

Edit: It just changed for me when I reloaded. Maybe that was last weeks and this one is this weeks:

Steam Weekly Top Sellers

#1 - Left 4 Dead 2
#2 - Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
#3 - Crysis® Maximum Edition
#4 - Borderlands
#5 - Sid Meier's Civilization® IV: The Complete Edition
#6 - Mass Effect
#7 - Eidos Collector Pack
#8 - Torchlight
#9 - The Orange Box
#10 - Left 4 Dead

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Considering it's by price it's not that surprising...
True. I'm sure that every other game in the top 10 outsold MW2 unit wise, but it is still disappointing. But I digress, that is for another thread.

gaheris

I just got spore, Modern Warfare 2 and just finished Dragon Age Origins next is Mass Effect 2 can't wait for that one. :D

crimsonheadGCN said:

#4 - Mass Effect
#6 - Torchlight
#7 - The Orange Box
#8 - Left 4 Dead
#9 - Killing Floor
#10 - BioShock™

:(
Steams top seller is by revenue so its no surprise that a $60(very popular)game would out gross games that were on sale for $5-$15.

Stitch said:
i would recommend to combine this with float32 to get better performance
http://www.dfgrom.com/forums/news/1725-s-t-l-k-e-r-shadow-chernobyl-float32-2-0-2188-updated.html

install stalker, start it once!, install stalker complete, go to the stalker/gamedata folder and delete the shaders folder, install float32, enjoy the game :D

but float32 is optional. just see if the game runs fine with complete, if you think the performance could be a bit better then you could try float32.

I'll have to try that (float32) out. Thanks.

Nelo Ice

Banned
so if i were to pick up one last game what would be the better choice jedi knight collection or aquaria?

kinda leaning toward aquaria since jedi knight seems like its more likely to be a weekend deal or something

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
If you havent bought killing floor yet, go buy it now!

Awesome game :lol
Good game HK!

and I still have 2 passes available for it and 1 for shattered horizon.

And if I could get a trade for HL2 or Episode 1 for something like Bioshock or Ghostbusters that would be awesome. PM if interested.

border

LOOK ON YE MIGHTY AND DESPAIR!

BEHOND THE IDLE THUMBS MEGAPACK:

thumbsteam.jpg

I'm probably going to try and re-listen to the complete Idle Thumbs opus in 2010, and figured it'd be better to know what they spend half of their time talking about. Sadly Steam does not have The Last Express.

Salacious Crumb

The final tally:

GTA IV
Unreal pack
Chronicles of Riddick
Rainbow 6 Vegas 2
Outrun 2006
Painkiller
Torchlight
Eidos Collectors Pack
Dead Space
Ghostbusters
Burnout Paradise
Killing Floor
Bioshock
Time Gentlemen, Please!
Jade Empire
Mr. Robot
Civ IV complete
Splinter Cell
Splinter Cell Chaos Theory
Splinter Cell Double Agent
Osmos
FlatOut
Max Payne Bundle
Street Fighter IV
Multiwinia + Darwinia
Shattered Horizon
Crysis Complete
Medieval II
Mass Effect
Braid
C&C Red Alert 3
Trine
Universe at War
C&C Red Alert 3 Uprising

Total: $259 !!!!

Average per game $3.87

Games Before sale 24
Games After sale 104

BobLoblaw

Banned
I had a pretty big haul this year. Hopefully these keep me busy through at least April. :D

STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl
Titan Quest Gold
World of Goo
SplinterCell: Double Agent
Aquaria
The Path
Mass Effect
Sam and Max Season One + Two Pack
Trials 2: Second Edition
Street Fighter IV
Shattered Horizon
Max Payne Bundle
Osmos
Killing Floor
Red Faction Guerrilla
Battlefield 2
The Void
Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena
Machinarium
Bionic Commando Rearmed
Grand Theft Auto IV (US/AU)
Torchlight

The total was $141!

CrashPrime said:
Just spent 2 hours playing Defense Grid. I am so addicted it's not even funny. How is it that of everything I purchased, I have a feeling this $2.50 gem is going to get the most playtime from me.

We've been trying to tell people... :lol

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Is the alexander expansion any good or just get the core game?
I would stick to the core game at first. It should occupy you for tens of hours.
Then you can think about getting Barbarian Invasion and then you can think about Alexander.

zedge

Yerolo said:
GTA4 is very CPU intensive, I have a AMD X2 4600 and the performance is shithouse (ie I struggle to get over 20fps on medium settings). I also have a 9800GT & 4Gb on Win7 x64

Darn. Thanks for the heads up.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Well, I was about to say whatever and buy Red Alert 3 - Uprising, but it's no longer for sale, so I guess they saved me the money.

K.Jack said:
Well, I was about to say whatever and buy Red Alert 3 - Uprising, but it's no longer for sale, so I guess they saved me the money.
Yeah I was about to hit the checkout and then bam the sale was over, guess I am not buying anything today.

3rdman

gregor7777 said:
Guess this is the time to make a decision on The Witcher. I have several large RPGs in my backlog and a few more on the horizon...
I'm half way through right now and can tell you that its worth it even at $40.00. Best value I've picked up in this sale....highly recommended.

Volcynika

K.Jack said:

Well that daily deal has been over since like 9 hours ago :lol

Wallach

gregor7777 said:
Guess this is the time to make a decision on The Witcher. I have several large RPGs in my backlog and a few more on the horizon...

I'd grab it. Hard to say how long it'll be before it's back down to that price. Really good game overall, shouldn't miss it if you like WRPGs in the slightest.

Twig

Banned
Wallach said:
I'd grab it. Hard to say how long it'll be before it's back down to that price. Really good game overall, shouldn't miss it if you like WRPGs in the slightest.
Agreed entirely.

mm04

gregor7777 said:
We've been trying to tell people... :lol

I just bought it based on this post alone :lol . Not a bad haul: SF4, Trine, Torchlight and Defense Grid for less than $23. I had not bought a PC game since Crysis Warhead and just bought 4 in a few days. I'm just glad my outdated PC can actually run these things well.

Althane

So question:

I'm planning on getting two of the following:

Tropico 3
Heroes 5 Pack
Majesty 2
Mount and Blade

I'm big on strategy, but lately have just been wanting a somewhat more relaxed game (no, not Peggle relaxed.. besides, I suck at peggle). I really enjoyed Majesty, and the Heroes 1-4 (yes, I liked Heroes 4. Quit complaining). I've heard a lot of good things about Mount and Blade, and Tropico just sounded interesting. What would you guys suggest?

Top Bottom