• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2009 Begins! (Dec 22nd - Jan 3rd)

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
alistairw said:
Rather a fan of hyperbole, are we? They're acquired tastes. I love them both, personally, but I can see why people wouldn't. Doesn't mean they're amongst the "worst video games of all time". Sheesh.
To me it was honestly the worst game I have ever played. And I played a lot of BASIC stuff, so that's saying something.

There were virtually no redeeming qualities for me and the "gameplay" is essentially non-existent. Your only means of interacting with the world in The Graveyard is to hobble around at an atrociously slow pace. I can see how this might come across as hyperbole because "worst blah blah blah" is so played out, but this really is the worst.

kswiston

The graveyard isn't even worth the bandwidth in my opinion. The developer offered it for free earlier in the year and I regretted the 5 minutes I spent downloading, installing, and playing it.

You know those postmodern art pieces that are basically a toilet on a platform? The Graveyard is the video game equivalent of that.

So how does the old lady die exactly? I can see the the trip->broken hip->starvation angle but that seems awfully protracted even for an artsy video game.

Volcynika

Doesn't seem like anyone else is wanting one, but before I go to sleep, if anyone wants my Killing Floor guest pass, first to PM Steam associated email can have it. Just trying to not let it go to waste!

alistairw said:
Rather a fan of hyperbole, are we? They're acquired tastes. I love them both, personally, but I can see why people wouldn't. Doesn't mean they're amongst the "worst video games of all time". Sheesh.

It's not a video game. There isn't even anything added to the experience by it's being interactive. It wouldn't have changed one bit by being a movie, except maybe it wouldn't look so goddamn awful. Black and white does not help mask your shitty low poly models.

alistairw

Just so you know, I have the best avatars ever.
Diff'rent strokes, kids. Personally, I thought the atmosphere and art style of both The Graveyard and The Path made them worth experiencing. The Path, in particular, elicited some very unexpected emotional responses while playing through it. If you're not open to letting yourself experience something that maybe doesn't adhere to traditional gaming rules, that's cool. No one says you have to be.

Maybe it's just not for you, in the same way that Ornette Coleman's Free Jazz isn't for everyone who digs Miles Davis' Birth of the Cool. Or something.

naib

MikeE21286 said:
damn, paypal no go, cc no go.....hmm....not sure what to do about this.
I had the same issue. Opened a support ticket a couple days ago. Never actually got a reply, but it's working now. Just bought Torchlight. :)

My pickups:

Torchlight
Fallout 3 - Game of the Year
RollerCoaster Tycoon 3: Platinum
Defense Grid: The Awakening
Company of Heroes
Bioshock (NA)
Trials 2: Second Edition
Sid Meier's Civilization IV: The Complete Edition
Left 4 Dead 2
Audiosurf
Team Fortress 2

I couldn't be happier. Got most the games that made me want to build a new PC in the first place, and then some.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Daigoro said:
i think i need to finally check out Killing Floor. im having problems rationalizing passing it up at $5.
It's good! Definitely worth $5.

We need to get a gaf group going.

Daigoro

Volcynika said:
You should take my guest pass! Try full before you buy!

im at work. wont be able to try it before the sale is over.

fallengorn said:

sounds good. ill make this my last hurrah for this holiday seasons Steam extravaganza.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
fallengorn said:

fuck yes we do. the games highly addictive.
I want to get my sharpshooter skills up to at least 10 by the end of the week.

alistairw said:
Diff'rent strokes, kids. Personally, I thought the atmosphere and art style of both The Graveyard and The Path made them worth experiencing. The Path, in particular, elicited some very unexpected emotional responses while playing through it. If you're not open to letting yourself experience something that maybe doesn't adhere to traditional gaming rules, that's cool. No one says you have to be.

Maybe it's just not for you, in the same way that Ornette Coleman's Free Jazz isn't for everyone who digs Miles Davis' Birth of the Cool. Or something.

You're the one who started the argument...

Volcynika

Slavik81 said:
That's only Red Alert 3 and only the people who bought it during the sale, right?
If so, it sounds like they were unprepared for the number of people who bought it.

Thread was originally made on the 21st of Dec., so it seems before it ever went on a daily deal.

Hawk SE

Final Damage:
Grand Theft Auto IV
Shattered Horizon
Jade Empire
Borderlands DLC: Dr. Ned
Splintercell: Chaos Theory
SplinterCell: Double Agent
Dirt 2
Batman: Arkham Asylum
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Clear Sky
Red Faction Guerrilla

There's a lot of deals I had to hold back from: Killing Floor, and C&C series to name a couple. KF because I won't probably play this online, let alone enough to warrant the purchase.

I skipped on C&C cause I'm bad at RTS games and have the easier ones on my account to finish: Company of Heroes, Dawn of War II, and World in Conflict.

alistairw

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
You're the one who started the argument...

What argument? All I'm saying is that it's gross hyperbole to describe Tales of Tales' games as being amongst the worst ever. I can see why people wouldn't enjoy them, so I don't see why others shouldn't be able to at least see why I think they're important. If I'm arguing about anything, it's that making blanket statements like "worst game ever" in regards to Tales of Tales' output is disingenuous, because they're not games that are intended for a mass audience.

Ergo, diff'rent strokes.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Volcynika said:
Well that daily deal has been over since like 9 hours ago :lol
So the RA 3: Uprising deal was linked to RA3 being the daily deal? I assumed it was a standalone discount.

edit: all of the C&C deals are gone

Firestorm

I somehow can't justify buying GTA4 for $7.50 but I can justify gifting Bioshock and Audiosurf for $7.50

So in a weird set of circumstances, if someone gifts me GTA4, I'll give away Bioshock and Audiosurf >_>

Volcynika

K.Jack said:
So the RA 3: Uprising deal was linked to RA3 being the daily deal? I assumed it was a standalone discount.

edit: all of the C&C deals are gone

Yeah, it's weird they didn't highlight how all C&C games were 66% off.

Metalic Sand said:
Damn i broke down and bought Torchlight and Stalker.
Wow . . . you "broke down" and plunked a whole $7 on two great games. :lol

Breaking down is when you buy some console game at the store for full $59.99 price that you are not even sure you want.

nyong

Banned
I suck so hard at Trials 2. 1.5 hours of playtime and I have nothing to show for it.

Some last minute purchases from me to update my previous post:

Harvest: Massive Encounter
Zombie Bowl-O-Rama
Bad Rats: the Rats Revenge
Clive Barker's Jericho
Alpha Prime

Any little-known $5 (ish) games I should be aware of? - Indie titles especially. I am officially closing my wallet for months tomorrow morning at 9am.

vocab

nyong said:
Any little-known $5 (ish) games I should be aware of? - Indie titles especially. I am officially closing my wallet for months tomorrow morning at 9am.

Ben there, Dan that! double pack. If you like adventure games, you should probably get it.

nyong said:
I suck so hard at Trials 2. 1.5 hours of playtime and I have nothing to show for it.

Some last minute purchases from me to update my previous post:

Harvest: Massive Encounter
Zombie Bowl-O-Rama
Bad Rats: the Rats Revenge
Clive Barker's Jericho
Alpha Prime

King's Quest and Space Quest Collections are both 4.99 . . . . . .

Not indie, but classic and amazing and I don't see many people discussing them here for some reason.

alistairw

Kureishima said:
King's Quest and Space Quest Collections are both 4.99 . . . . . .

Not indie, but classic and amazing and I don't see many people discussing them here for some reason.

It's only available in a few regions - that's probably something to do with it.

zugzug

heh ok so even if I'm not going to play the game in the next six months. The logic is I should not buy it even if its a really great price right? right! right!

The Witcher enhanced edition
Splinter Cell:Chaos Theory
Splinter Cell:Double Agent
Titan Quest: Gold
Hinterlands

And then I should not buy Grand Theft Auto IV, because its a crappy PC port that might play well or not play well on my PC.

and then since I never finished Borderlands after the first week of playing it, wasting $6.69 on zombie DLC is not a wise move.

Its like good intentions, I never picked them up when they released and played them but I have remorse that I at least did not attempt to play them so with the price they have now. The wise move is to not buy them but the inner me wants to have and to hold and to at least try to experience them before I die :p

Suairyu

Banned
Oh my. I was putting off totalling up my purchases out of fear but, even when including gift purchases (some of which I'll be reimbursed for), I ended up waaaay under budget at a grand total of of £63.47!

Will grab the Unreal Pack and Eufloria now to celebrate this achievement, then delete my credit card details from the service pronto.

nyong

Banned
vocab said:
Ben there, Dan that! double pack. If you like adventure games, you should probably get it.

Added.

King's Quest I'll consider. I beat a few of them way back in the day and remember having a good time.

Top Bottom