• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2009 Begins! (Dec 22nd - Jan 3rd)

Jirotrom

mm04 said:
I just bought it based on this post alone :lol . Not a bad haul: SF4, Trine, Torchlight and Defense Grid for less than $23. I had not bought a PC game since Crysis Warhead and just bought 4 in a few days. I'm just glad my outdated PC can actually run these things well.
defense grid is my crack... seriously

Javaman

gaheris said:
I so want audio surf and it is soo cheap can anyone gift it no prob either way but hey thought I would ask I am such a procrastinator. I just got spore, Modern Warfare 2 and just finished Dragon Age Origins next is Mass Effect 2 can't wait for that one. :D

So, you bought the most expensive games on steam and now want someone to gift you a cheap one?

Sloegr

gregor7777 said:
Guess this is the time to make a decision on The Witcher. I have several large RPGs in my backlog and a few more on the horizon...

I'll just add my piece and say that the game is a fantastic buy at $14. I doubt you really needed one more voice telling you that, but there you have it.

Fixed1979

I don't know when I'll get a chance to play them all, playing Torchlight now and really enjoying it. If you haven't yet grab it before the sales over!

Ghostbusters
Trine
GTAIV
Shattered Horizon (Guest passes available)
Unreal Deal
Torchlight
The Witcher: Enhanced

Somehow this only comes to $64.83:D ...love it.

gaheris

Javaman said:
So, you bought the most expensive games on steam and now want someone to gift you a cheap one?

Actually got a few of them for the holidays but audiosurf looks like a lot of fun :) and I need a puzzle fix.

ElJuice said:
I'll just add my piece and say that the game is a fantastic buy at $14. I doubt you really needed one more voice telling you that, but there you have it.

I'm sure it's great. And I want to play it. But I feel Steam pulling at me to spend another $14 for a game I likely won't play right away. :lol

Big-E

Just started Batman and I am already impressed with the graphics. Great buy at 33 and I like that it has full controller support as this is a type of game that I think will play better with it.

gregor7777 said:
Guess this is the time to make a decision on The Witcher. I have several large RPGs in my backlog and a few more on the horizon...

Exactly why I decided against getting The Witcher. I'd rather spend the money on something I'm more likely to play than that which will just sit there for god knows how long.

Deft Beck

I have $15 left in my Paypal yet I have a payment I need to make in the future.
I'll wait for Killing Floor to go on sale in the future. For the moment, I'll just play using my guest pass.

luiztfc

I'm sending my laptop to be repaired tomorrow and I realize I can backup my steam games, but what about the save files? Do I have to hunt them myself or does Steam do the job?

its a little sad to think that this sale went by so quickly :( Well atleast I got a bunch of great games for bargain bin prices! :D This sale has been truly wonderful.

Damnit. Red Alert 3 won't work online. It said I have an invalid serial. Checked on the Steam forum and lots of people are getting the same error. Awesome.

Somehow I managed to avoid picking up anything on this steam sale until tonight. Saw Killing Floor for 4.99 and said what the hell... ended up buying Rome Total War ($2!), The Witcher, and Stalker($2!) as well... :lol

Well played Valve. Well played.

Sloegr

luiztfc said:
I'm sending my laptop to be repaired tomorrow and I realize I can backup my steam games, but what about the save files? Do I have to hunt them myself or does Steam do the job?

With few exceptions, you have to hunt for the saves yourself. Only a few games use Steam Cloud to backup saves. Hopefully that number grows dramatically going forward.

Chris R

Any chance we get something really crazy tomorrow morning just before the sale ends? I was really disappointed in today's sales, but whatever :|

steam not taking my CC like others said....guess it's a sign I shouldn't buy GTAIV and Defense Grid

edit: nvm, circumvented by PayPal.

Slavik81

luiztfc said:
If you copy your steam directory, My Documents, ProgramData/AppData and hunt through Program Files you'll get most of 'em.

Dambrosi

Banned
Right, so everyone's doing their final tallies, so I may as well get in on the action.

In alphabetical order:

AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!! -- A Reckless Disregard for Gravity
Audiosurf
Battlefield 2 Complete
Ben There, Dan That!
Bioshock
Lumines
Lumines Advanced Pack
Mass Effect
Max Payne
Max Payne 2: The Fall Of Max Payne
Osmos
Portal
Sniper Elite
S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Shadow of Chernobyl
Street Fighter 4
Time, Gentlemen, Please!
Torchlight
Trackmania Nations Forever (whee, free!)
Witcher Enhanced Edition Director's Cut, The

Total cost: £45.06 ($72.52) - £2.37 ($3.81) per game.

Not a bad haul for the price of a new game, really. Not bad at all.

...oh, what the hell am I talking about? That's a phenomenally awesome bunch of deals! That's my PC games collection sorted* until my next round of upgrades, easily! That's the power of Digital distribution, folks! The future of gaming - today!**

*...at least until I buy Civ 4 Complete from Play.com for £3.50.
**I don't really believe this. DD for consoles still sucks, on the whole.

Javaman

All told, here's the damage done...
The Itza Pack 9.99
Majesty Gold Edition 4.99 USD
Grand Theft Auto IV (US/AU) 7.49 USD
Indigo Prophecy 3.39 USD
Foreign Legion: Buckets of Blood 1.39 USD
Alpha Prime 0.99 USD
Sniper Elite 1.99 USD
Outrun2006 Coast 2 Coast 2.49 USD
Tank Universal 1.99 USD
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 4.99 USD
World in Conflict: Complete 9.99 USD
Red Faction Guerrilla 9.99 USD
King's Bounty: Armored Princess 9.99 USD
Starwars Battlefront II 9.99 USD
Starwars Republic Commando 4.99 USD
Star Wars Starfighter 2.49 USD
Zombie Driver 2.49 USD
Company of Heroes: Tales of Valor 7.49 USD
Osmos 1.99 USD
Sid Meier's Civilization IV: The Complete Edition 13.60 USD
Crysis Complete (NA) 13.59 USD
Eidos Collector Pack 49.99 USD

44 games including the ones in packs for an average of $4 per game.

nyong

Banned
Zombie Bowl-O-Rama is a fun little (99 cent) game. Pretty much what it sounds like. I finished the single player and 57% of the trophies in just over an hour, though.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Well, just wrapped up the sale with Braid and Defense Grid: The Awakening. I've had a good haul. Most of all, I just glad I was able to pick up SFIV and Shattered Horizon on the cheap, both of which I've quickly fallen in love with.

Slavik81

Nelo Ice said:
not exactly a td like defense grid but plants vs zombies is amazing
It takes a long while to get going, though. It only really gets interesting once you have a wide assortment of plants to fight with and zombies fighting against you.

Still, I'm at 10 hours and continue to play to beat the alternate modes. A great buy for $5.

Lkr

dollartaco said:
Damnit. Red Alert 3 won't work online. It said I have an invalid serial. Checked on the Steam forum and lots of people are getting the same error. Awesome.
I'm hoping its fixed by the time I beat campaign. I still need to beat CnC3 and Kane's Wrath

Javaman

Some random thoughts... I would have liked to pick up the Lego games. It's too bad they're still full price. (30 for lego batman sheesh)

I came "" close to picking up DOW2 but this sale price wasn't any lower then the previous sale during a weekly or weekend. I'll probably hold off until the expansion pack comes out. Maybe they will have a combo.

I'm most dissapointed with Red Faction Gorilla
lolz
since like I complained about before, I could never get it to run. I was going to pick up the other RFs but can't bring myself to support them after that annoyance.

I've only dabbled with a couple of the games so far but World in Conflict is my favorite so far.

Brashnir

Final tallies.

Bought for myself:
Civ 4 Complete: $13.60
Audiosurf - $2.50
Ghostbusters - $6.74
Mirror's Edge - $4.99
Telltale Everything Pack - $49.99
Peggle Complete - $11.24
Mr. Robot - $1.99
Shadowgrounds Pack - $3.99
Jade Empire - $3.75

Received as gifts:
Dragon Age: Deluxe
Empire - Total War
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Clear Sky
Heroes of Might and Magic V Pack

Sent to others as Gifts:
Torchlight
Plants vs. Zombies
Majesty 2 (x2)
Medieval II: Total War
Titan Quest Gold
Ghostbusters
The Witcher
Defense Grid
Monkey Island Complete
Heroes of Might and Magic V
Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War II
Puzzle Quest

graywolf323

Volcynika said:
I think graywolf enjoys spamming my Steam Blotter with games he bought :lol

I'm just happy I got a lot of money for Christmas :p

though I also bought a PS3 and a new gaming mouse so it's not like Steam is taking up all my money

edit: I'm almost done I swear

chixdiggit

Trying to decide if I want to get Bioshock or not. I already played through it on the 360. Now that I have a decent PC I would love to play it again. Problem is this huge list of games I now have to play.

kswiston

I finally went through all the regular sales today, and couldn't find anything else I wanted at the price offered. First day of the entire sale that I didn't buy anything for myself. I had a good haul though:

Bought or was gifted:
Morrowind
Doom 3
Doom 3: Resurrection of Evil
Mass Effect
Street Fighter IV
Half-Life: Source
Darwinia
Cogs
Max Payne
Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Jade Empire
Mr. Robot
Burnout Paradise
Popcap Pack
King's Bounty: Armored Princess
Battlefield 2
Lucas Arts Adventure Pack
Mahjong Quest 3-pack
Board Game Classics Collection
Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena.
Aquaria.
Crayon Physics Deluxe.
Indigo Prophecy.
Defense Grid: The Awakening.

Gifted others:
Battlefield 2
Defense Grid x3
Jade Empire x2
Killing Floor x2
Mr. Robot
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. x4
Torchlight x2 (meaning I was torch'd three times!)
Trine x2

The sale and this thread have been a ton of fun this year. I'm really looking forward to the next holiday sale, even though I will still have a ton of games backlogged a year from now :lol

Hope everyone enjoys their games!

Lucario

I think my final tally is around sixty bucks; much better than I usually do during these sales.:lol I'm so addicted to steam.

The Graveyard is a very short computer game. You play an old lady who visits a graveyard. You walk around, sit on a bench and listen to a song. It's more like an explorable painting than an actual game. An experiment with poetry and storytelling but without words.

Buying the full version of The Graveyard adds only one feature, the possibility of death. The full version of the game is exactly the same as the trial, except, every time you play she may die.

:lol

http://store.steampowered.com/app/27020/

Is this for real?

alistairw

Just so you know, I have the best avatars ever.
Kureishima said:
We all have some pretty serious problems.

Pretty much sums up the whole thread.

Dance In My Blood said:
It's real. One of the worst video games of all time next to their other game, The Path.

Rather a fan of hyperbole, are we? They're acquired tastes. I love them both, personally, but I can see why people wouldn't. Doesn't mean they're amongst the "worst video games of all time". Sheesh.

Top Bottom