• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2009 Begins! (Dec 22nd - Jan 3rd)

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Kureishima said:
King's Quest and Space Quest Collections are both 4.99 . . . . . .

Not indie, but classic and amazing and I don't see many people discussing them here for some reason.
I'm trying to decide on this and would appreciate the help if anyone has them already:

Are the files free to use in any kind of DOSBox program? I wanted to get this for the CD versions of IV and VI, to use in my fantastic OSX dosbox program. Is that possible?

dani_dc

Kureishima said:
King's Quest and Space Quest Collections are both 4.99 . . . . . .

Not indie, but classic and amazing and I don't see many people discussing them here for some reason.
Damn you, I had forgot about those two :lol

I'm already buying The Witcher and really tempted to buy Torchlight despite having no idea if I'll enjoy games of this genre in the middle-long term, as well as Machinarium, I don't need more games to be tempted about :lol

Edit: I'm finally a member :D

I really wish I had a better internet connection. Grand Theft Auto 4 has been downloading for the 8 hours and it's only 60% complete :\

I just noticed that I made close to 1/10 of all my posts in this thread lol. 128 posts in this thread out of 1400 total.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Mr. Spinnington said:
was about to ask for one, but although i would totally buy this game i can't justify $5 more... whether i like it or not :_;

because im feeling generous hit me up with your steam id and I'll hook you up.

Brashnir

Firestorm said:
I somehow can't justify buying GTA4 for $7.50 but I can justify gifting Bioshock and Audiosurf for $7.50

So in a weird set of circumstances, if someone gifts me GTA4, I'll give away Bioshock and Audiosurf >_>

So you're willing to spend $7.50 to get GTA4, as long as you somehow involve another person?

Fredescu

zugzug said:
And then I should not buy Grand Theft Auto IV, because its a crappy PC port that might play well or not play well on my PC.
It's not a crappy port, it's just very performance intensive. It runs nicely on my Q9550.

Owzers

Did some last minute caving with:

Lucas Arts Adventure Pack 2.49
Prince of Persia Two Thrones 4.99
Heroes of Might and Magic V 4.99

things that got left behind:

Painkiller
Gothic 3
The Witcher

the last two won't even run on my laptop atm so waiting won't be tooooo bad ( yes it will )

I'm so frustrated right now.

I've been waiting till today to pick up The Witcher and Splinter Cell Chaos Theory, in the hopes that they would be on sale again. Everything was in my cart and I went to get my wallet and I realized I lost it on the way home from work.

ffffffffffffffuuuuuck

It's either at a Dunkin' Donuts or at Shaw's, both of which are closed.

I should have known better.

Kureishima said:
We all have some pretty serious problems.
:lol

No shit.

I've bought a gazillion games and I KNOW I'll never play lots of them. But it is nice knowing they are there. :) As long as Steam exists, I can I always download and play. Even as I upgrade and go to new PCs.

And they were cheap.

And any other rationalization I can think of. :D

Javaman said:
Some random thoughts... I would have liked to pick up the Lego games. It's too bad they're still full price. (30 for lego batman sheesh).
Yeah, WTF. I would have picked up Lego Star Wars on the spot if it was slightly cheaper than console . . . but it is hard to buy a game when you can get the console version for the same price.

okay...

still have yet to decide on aquaria or not. anybody want to sell me? is it worth $10? what is it like?

on the fence about:

ghostbusters
lucasarts adventure pack

have bought:

1.99 stalker
2.49 outrun 2006
9.99 sf4
3.74 max payne bundle
4.99 trine
0.00 the void (gift)
13.59 unreal pack
3.39 indigo prophecy

40.18 total

can't figure out if there's anything else cheap and awesome that i'm missing. would have bought audiosurf, torchlight, shattered horizon, day of deafeat, darwinia, and osmos if i didn't already have them
wenis said:
because im feeling generous hit me up with your steam id and I'll hook you up.
:0

pm'ed! maybe there's something i can offer as thanks but if that won't do then you have three internet hugs from me <33333

causan

So here is my tally:

Torchlight
Defense Grid: The Awakening
Bioshock
Mass Effect
Sam and Max Season One + Two Pack
Multiwinia + Darwinia
Street Fighter IV
Medieval II: Total War
Crysis Complete
Max Payne Bundle
Sid Meier's Civilization IV: The Complete Edition
STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl
Mirror's Edge
Trine

Total: $101.32

There goes my PS3 funds :lol

gregor7777 said:

(Graveyard) that is so fucked up, I'm sure I'll buy it eventually.

But I'm still trying to think if I want some more on-sale Indies . . . Any opinions on these:
1) Machinarium (Never mind, I'm sure you'll all gush over it.)
2) AAAaaaaAAaaaAAAaaa . . .?
3) Crayon Physics Deluxe
4) Altitude

(I already have most of the big popular Indie games.)

Brashnir

speculawyer said:

But I'm still trying to think if I want some more on-sale Indies . . . Any opinions on these:
3) Crayon Physics Deluxe
4) Altitude

I played a lot of Crayon Physics when it came out and really enjoyed it, but I played it on a tablet PC. I'm assuming it's still cool with a mouse, but probably isn't quite as cool.

wenis

Shadowlink said:
So who wants to buy me Stalker? I don't have my card with me right now but have a paypal account to pay you back.

Add me and I'll gift it to you:

Monosylabik

Firestorm said:
I somehow can't justify buying GTA4 for $7.50 but I can justify gifting Bioshock and Audiosurf for $7.50

So in a weird set of circumstances, if someone gifts me GTA4, I'll give away Bioshock and Audiosurf >_>
this is easy to explain. You know you probably won't get around to playing GTA4. But you know the other people probably will play Bioshock & Audiosurf. What matter is that someone enjoys the game.

A friend of mine signed up for Steam and I immediately sent him Braid, Audiosurf, Osmos, and Stalker. :lol

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Pretty happy with the Torchlight purchase.

Audiosurf is kind of interesting. Not sure how much I'll actually use it. I mean, it's funish and I get to listen to my music.

Not sure that it feels like the game is all that related to the songs though.

Mr. Spinnington said:
on the fence about:

ghostbusters
lucasarts adventure pack
If you have a good game PC and a 360 controller set-up, get ghostbusters. $7 for a big production game that is like playing a ghostbuster in the movie. I've certainly enjoyed it.

Brashnir

speculawyer said:
If you have a good game PC and a 360 controller set-up, get ghostbusters. $7 for a big production game that is like playing a ghostbuster in the movie. I've certainly enjoyed it.

As a counter-point, I bought it and really, really don't like it. I liked the parts where the Ghostbusters are standing around talking to each other, and to the player, but actually playing the game was just bad. Poor level design, obnoxious screen-filling PKE meter nonsense, un-fun combat. I played for an hour and shelved it. I might go through it sometime on easy just for the cutscenes, but can't recommend it as a game at all.

Chris R

My final haul:
Torchlight (1 for me, one for a gift)
Defense Grid (1 for me, one for a gift)
The Witcher
Morrowind GOTY

Games I would have purchased if they had been at a better price:
Unreal Tournament 3: Black
Oblivion GOTY
Fallout 3 GOTY

I'm still pissed off that I slept through the 17.95$ Fallout 3 GOTY pricing error :(

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Anyone encounter problems with gifting Mass Effect when it was on sale? My friend didn't get the copy I sent him. =/

Brashnir said:
I played a lot of Crayon Physics when it came out and really enjoyed it, but I played it on a tablet PC. I'm assuming it's still cool with a mouse, but probably isn't quite as cool.
That was enough to push me over the edge. :D

Also, I've enjoyed Bad Rats . . . a simplistic physics game with an Itchy&Scratchy vibe that is $2.49, so I'll probably like crayon physics.

Osmos & Braid are still my most recommended Indie games.

dani_dc

speculawyer said:
A friend of mine signed up for Steam and I immediately sent him Braid, Audiosurf, Osmos, and Stalker. :lol
A friend of mine (not a PC gamer at all) also just signed up and I've been considering getting him a cheap game or two as well :lol

Brashnir

Revolution number one said:
I want the left 4 dead 2 us version. Anybody wanna trade?

Is Borderlands censored in your country? I'd do a L4D2 <-> Borderlands gift swap if you can send a good version.

wenis

Shadowlink said:
Wenis hasn't replied yet, so anyone else want to buy Stalker for me? I'll pay back via paypal.

dude i dont see your friend request.

dani_dc said:
A friend of mine (not a PC gamer at all) also just signed up and I've been considering getting him a cheap game or two as well :lol
Yeah, how can you not set him up with one or two of the good $2.50 games?

Dambrosi

Banned
speculawyer said:

3) Crayon Physics Deluxe
4) Altitude

Aaaaa... has a demo. It was enough to sell me on the game (whereas the Painkiller demo scared me off). Runs smooth and fast, as is to be expected. Quirky sense of humour, retro-styled neon aesthetic, flipping off protestors and defacing government property. It's like a freefall Jet Set Radio, except...not at all :lol

Altitude looks like crap to me, but then I haven't played it or Subspace, which gets mentioned a lot in Altitude discussions.

Never heard of CPD. Like the look of Machinarium, and it has a demo too, but I can't play it because I'm waiting for The Witcher to download. 410kb/s, oh god it'll be hours.

EDIT: Heh, changed my download server to Africa and I'm getting >1MB/s, nice :D

Brashnir said:
As a counter-point, I bought it and really, really don't like it. I liked the parts where the Ghostbusters are standing around talking to each other, and to the player, but actually playing the game was just bad. Poor level design, obnoxious screen-filling PKE meter nonsense, un-fun combat. I played for an hour and shelved it. I might go through it sometime on easy just for the cutscenes, but can't recommend it as a game at all.
Playing it on easy is probably a very good idea. I played it on easy 3/4 through. But I stopped and started over on the medium difficulty. I kinda regret that. Some sections are just frustrating and the other ghostbusters don't help much . . . you keep having to revive them.

I'd say go back & play it on easy. I agree that as a game, it isn't all that great. But as an interactive experience, it is enjoyable.

Top Bottom