• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2009 Begins! (Dec 22nd - Jan 3rd)

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
maybe four hours?

it's really worth the price, though, in my opinion.

Are there any mods for GTA IV PC that get rid of the 'hold a button to jog' system? I've often thought that I could have enjoyed the game much more if I didn't have to mash the crap out of the X button to get anywhere on foot. Having no analogue movement control just made everything so awkward.

Suairyu

Banned
Jirotrom said:
zeno clash... yay or nay and how long is it?
Short but wonderful. A very creative and original world with some of the finest first-person hand-to-hand combat yet devised (ie. it works).

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
sorry, I'm curious if someone knows about this and can help me.

Kureishima said:
King's Quest and Space Quest Collections are both 4.99 . . . . . .

Not indie, but classic and amazing and I don't see many people discussing them here for some reason.
I'm trying to decide on this and would appreciate the help if anyone has them already:

Are the files free to use in any kind of DOSBox program? I wanted to get this for the CD versions of IV and VI, to use in my fantastic OSX dosbox program. Is that possible?

Saterium

mattiewheels said:
sorry, I'm curious if someone knows about this and can help me.

I'm trying to decide on this and would appreciate the help if anyone has them already:

Are the files free to use in any kind of DOSBox program? I wanted to get this for the CD versions of IV and VI, to use in my fantastic OSX dosbox program. Is that possible?

Yep, just download the games and then copy/paste them from the steamapps folder.. There's no copy protection on anything except the initial exe to launch the game.

One thing to keep in mind is these compilations don't work under Windows 7. It makes no sense since Dosbox and Windows 7 have no problems but the launcher seems to block you off.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
ok quick question. I'm trying to play Doom 3 (bought it awhile back, but I bring it up here because someone else may be having the same issue) and when I go back to change the resolution and it tells me to restart the game for changes to take affect. I do that and nothing changes. It's still stuck in 800x600.

Any advice?

cornontheCoD

Neo Member
To the guy that asked about Zeno Clash: get it. The game is like nothing you have played before. Very fun and very polished. I would say it's the first game to do first-person fist fighting really well.

Don't worry about the length. A short, awesome game is better than a long, mediocre game that doesn't take any chances, right?

Firestorm

Brashnir said:
So you're willing to spend $7.50 to get GTA4, as long as you somehow involve another person?
Well I have it on 360, it's just to have on hand for any multiplayer if it happens =P

It's like a game I'd like to get, but really really really shouldn't. If it means more people play Bioshock and Audiosurf, I'm for it!

vocab said:
The game is like 3-4 hours from what I hear. Extremely disappointing length if you ask me.

It was released as a $20 budget release, seems fair enough to me when $60 games usually don't last 8 hours.

wenis said:
ok quick question. I'm trying to play Doom 3 (bought it awhile back, but I bring it up here because someone else may be having the same issue) and when I go back to change the resolution and it tells me to restart the game for changes to take affect. I do that and nothing changes. It's still stuck in 800x600.

Any advice?

Edit the config file instead?

dc`

Neo Member
Was the Max Payne pack on sale at all? I just bought it for $15, which isn't bad at all, but if it turns out it was on sale for $5 or something I am going to be slightly annoyed at my lateness in purchasing...

rhfb said:
My final haul:
Torchlight (1 for me, one for a gift)
Defense Grid (1 for me, one for a gift)
The Witcher
Morrowind GOTY

Games I would have purchased if they had been at a better price:
Unreal Tournament 3: Black
Oblivion GOTY
Fallout 3 GOTY

I'm still pissed off that I slept through the 17.95$ Fallout 3 GOTY pricing error :(

UT3 is less $14 and comes with every game in the series. Wtf? That's one of the best deals in the sale.

dc` said:
Was the Max Payne pack on sale at all? I just bought it for $15, which isn't bad at all, but if it turns out it was on sale for $5 or something I am going to be slightly annoyed at my lateness in purchasing...

It was on sale for even less than that iirc.

Dambrosi

Banned
cornontheCoD said:
To the guy that asked about Zeno Clash: get it. The game is like nothing you have played before. Very fun and very polished. I would say it's the first game to do first-person fist fighting really well.

Don't worry about the length. A short, awesome game is better than a long, mediocre game that doesn't take any chances, right?
Someone obviously never owned an Xbox last gen.

breakdown_xbox.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lyYU0yc0YY

:D

vocab

dc` said:

:lol

$3.75 for both games.

Chris R

brain_stew said:
UT3 is less $14 and comes with every game in the series. Wtf? That's one of the best deals in the sale.
I own most of the other games in the pack. Only really wanted the game for the Unreal Editor anyways. Was hoping to see it for 7.49$ but that didn't happen, so I'll just enjoy the games I did buy instead :D

Brashnir

brain_stew said:
It was released as a $20 budget release, seems fair enough to me when $60 games usually don't last 8 hours.

Not to single you out, but I hate these kinds of comparisons. I think they're not only disingenuous (I thought Pac-Man CE was worth $10 and it's only 5 minutes long) but I think it also gets into the heads of developers, who unnecessarily pad the length of their games in order to increase their "value."

This usually winds up making the game a worse experience in the long run, decreases replay value (who wants to replay the length-padding crap a second time?) and has really become a blight on the industry, as far as I'm concerned. It's also an interesting contrast with the movie industry, where professional editors are frequently hired to trim the fat out of a movie to improve pacing and make a more enjoyable experience.

I think games would be a lot better without this sort of game length = value nonsense.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
alright so I'm starting The Witcher for the first time. Which Option do I go with?

The one with just actions and consequences or the regular old adventure one?

Salacious Crumb

oh wow, whats going on with STALKER on the Australian store $12.99 USD. I guess this is to make up for the huge amount of time the game was going for $1.50. I was keen as mustard to buy it today as well :(

Is anyone willing to gift it to me? SteamID: Lord_Doomslayer
I can pay you back using paypal.

Fredescu

matrix-cat said:
Are there any mods for GTA IV PC that get rid of the 'hold a button to jog' system? I've often thought that I could have enjoyed the game much more if I didn't have to mash the crap out of the X button to get anywhere on foot. Having no analogue movement control just made everything so awkward.
You can set "Always Sprint" to Toggle in the control options on PC. No mod required.

clav

All right. I'm going to wrap it up here as I am debating what I should purchase last:

The Unreal Tournament pack is very tempting. I do not own any of them.

I played Bioshock on the X360 and beat it. I borrowed it from a friend. There is no PS3 DLC right?

Jirotrom

Brashnir said:
Not to single you out, but I hate these kinds of comparisons. I think they're not only disingenuous (I thought Pac-Man CE was worth $10 and it's only 5 minutes long) but I think it also gets into the heads of developers, who unnecessarily pad the length of their games in order to increase their "value."

This usually winds up making the game a worse experience in the long run, decreases replay value (who wants to replay the length-padding crap a second time?) and has really become a blight on the industry, as far as I'm concerned. It's also an interesting contrast with the movie industry, where professional editors are frequently hired to trim the fat out of a movie to improve pacing and make a more enjoyable experience.

I think games would be a lot better without this sort of game length = value nonsense.
i look at it in terms of replay value... pacman was 10 bucks but the leaderboards gave it replay value, i payed about 33 for batman which i loved but i am disappointing at the replay value, while i payed 2.50 for defense grid and ive already put around 11 hours into it with no sign of slowing down. so yes i'm debating zeno clash based on replay, and from the demo i played the story was interesting but i didnt dig the gameplay too much.

dani_dc

Ok, this should be my final haul:

STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl
LucasArt Adventure Pack:
-Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis,
-The Dig,
-Indiana Jone and the Last Crusade,
-Loom
Ben There, Dan That
Time Gentleman, Please!
Outrun2006 Coast 2 Coast
Max Payne
Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Mass Effect
The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
Torchlight
The Witcher
Machinarium

Braid x2 as gifts to others

Total: 47 euros

Still considering Aquaria but 10 euros seems a bit step after all of this :lol

Brashnir said:

No, I have the same view as well, absoulutely and its why I mentioned complaining about Zeno Clash being short is a non-issue. Its a decent game, regardless of length.

Salacious Crumb

I just bought STALKER off the US store, It just took awhile to accept the country change.

I hope you cant get into trouble doing this cause I've done it many times over the last couple of weeks.

Q8D3vil

Doomslayer said:
I just bought STALKER off the US store, It just took awhile to accept the country change.

I hope you cant get into trouble doing this cause I've done it many times over the last couple of weeks.
edir : nevermind , I aM glad it work out for you

vocab

I take back what I said about Zeno Clash. For all I know, the game is probably amazing, and I wrote it off because it was short game. I'll buy it the next time it goes on sale. Most short games I own, aren't that great, so perhaps Zeno Clash would possibly prove me wrong.

Skeyser

Anyone know why I suddenly need to register a credit card to my paypal account to make a purchase with steam?

I've been grabbing daily deals all week long without any issue and now it keep asking me to link a credit card.

I do have sufficient funds on my paypal account to make the purchase.

blehh

Neo Member
caved and picked up fallout 3 goty. any chance i could convert my old ps3 fallout 3 save file and play it on the pc? i wanna get to the dlc without starting the game from the beginning -_-

NIN90

fanboi said:
How is that game?

Sorry for not playing L4D :| But needed to reinstall OS

Totally awesome. Easily worth the 3.75$ (bought it for 17€ and I don't regret it in any way)

Somone might hook you up with a guest pass if you are on the fence.

Benedict

blehh said:
caved and picked up fallout 3 goty. any chance i could convert my old ps3 fallout 3 save file and play it on the pc? i wanna get to the dlc without starting the game from the beginning -_-

....................................................no..............................................amazed............just.......no..........................

edit: never

Skeyser said:
Anyone know why I suddenly need to register a credit card to my paypal account to make a purchase with steam?

I've been grabbing daily deals all week long without any issue and now it keep asking me to link a credit card.

I do have sufficient funds on my paypal account to make the purchase.
I got that a few days ago, too. Don't know why, but I just used the PayPal Plug-In to make a credit card number and payed that way. Less convenient, but it worked.

Top Bottom