• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2009 Begins! (Dec 22nd - Jan 3rd)

rohlfinator said:
Yeah, I was kinda interested in it back when the XBLA version came out, but I remembered you and others saying good things about the PC version, so I'm glad I held off. I'm not a big arcade racer guy, but it shouldn't be hard to get $2.50 worth of value out of it.

It comes with all the content from Outrun 2 unlike the XBLA release, so its a real snip at $2.50.

Outrun 2006 at a rock solid 60fps vsynced with full AA is beautiful. It has all the tunes/remixes that are missing from the XBLA version also. For $2.50 it's a steal.

PARANO1A said:
Any way for Aussies to get the Sierra quest games? :( I loved those so much back in the day. Plus I already own them so why won't you let me double-dip, Steam???

As usual you'll have to get someone to gift you a copy. Sure someone here will help you out if you send them the $5 via Paypal.

SuperEnemyCrab said:
Outrun 2006 at a rock solid 60fps vsynced with full AA is beautiful. It has all the tunes/remixes that are missing from the XBLA version also. For $2.50 it's a steal.

Yup, you can enter a code to unlock it all from the start if you want as well. The Euro remixes are worth the $2.50 alone imo. They're bloody brilliant, Richard Jacques at his finest. :D

hamchan

Lafiel said:
There are certain publisher packages that don't seem to appear in the au store at all. Seems silly.>_>

It's a real shame they do this. Instead of getting more money from me they just get nothing.

I hope the Fallout 1,2,Tactics pack is one of the daily deals.

hamchan said:
It's a real shame they do this. Instead of getting more money from me they just get nothing.

I hope the Fallout 1,2,Tactics pack is one of the daily deals.

They're each less than $4US over at gog.com, DRM free with a bunch of extra goodies, don't thinl you'll beat that deal tbh.

Mahjong Quest I II III $2.49
AudioSurf $2.50
Civ IV Complete $26.79
Complete Shooter Pack $3.74

My current list alongside wondering about some on GoG.

Likely holding out for a bigger Civ IV complete deal, King Arthur...maybe Witcher. I would hope at least one sale day is comprised of insane RPG and RPG element infused games.

ATF487

Does anyone still play any of the unreal games online?

Wondering if I should pick up the Unreal Pack and the ID Pack. I know I'll get some enjoyment out of the id pack, if for nothing more than Commander Keen and the Doom games.

What's the co-op multiplayer setup in A.I. War like? Is it easy enough to get going or do I need to pre plan and arrange regular session á la EU3 or similar? Is the single player a worthy substitute if the multiplayer is out of the equation? Only just realised it was part of the sale.

Proc

Strider2K99 said:
This is starting to get stupid... several hours later and I still can't download and test out GTAIV. :/

delete ClientRegistry.blob in your steam folder and then restart steam..duh.

Paulathon said:
Haven't seen this posted in a while, seems as good a place as any.

Total value of your Steam games - replace my ID with yours.

Note it calculates the value based on the current prices so if you want to see the normal value you'll have to wait until the sale ends.

Damn, why did you have to post this? :(

Bootaaay; You own 116 games worth: £523.39 GBP

*edit, fuck - not only is that at sale prices, but it doesn't include packs that are no longer available like the GTA complete pack (replaced by the classic pack when IV was released).

Paulathon said:

Note it calculates the value based on the current prices so if you want to see the normal value you'll have to wait until the sale ends.

Average Account Value: $494.35 USD

Holy fuck! Valve must be rolling in it.

Mine's worth £267.62 GBP based off the current sales prices which considering how many deals I've took advantage of, may not be too far off. I spend an average of £10.29 a month on Steam, thought it'd be a lot more.

ATF487 said:
Does anyone still play any of the unreal games online?

Wondering if I should pick up the Unreal Pack and the ID Pack. I know I'll get some enjoyment out of the id pack, if for nothing more than Commander Keen and the Doom games.

All three UT games still have decent enough communities, UT2K4's is probably the biggest. None are huge or anything. UT3 is a seriously underrated game.

Max

I am not Max
ojmt5s.png
:D

Doomslayer said:
Ive got an X3 720 @ 3.5 Ghz, 4GB DDR3 and a 4870 X2 and GTA IV runs like arse. Why is it so hard for Devs to make decent ports.

Your pc should run GTA IV great. I'm sorry to hear that you are having trouble but what is happening for you is not common for someone with specs similar to yours.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Paulathon said:

Last time I used that it was WAY off of what I actually paid; three figures, I think.

It's limited of course because it just uses the current price of the games AFAIK. 6 games I bought last year for just $5.94 total, for instance, would show up in that calculator as $32.44.

Fun to play with, but WAY off for me because I rarely buy anything on Steam that is even close to regular price. Of course, that means that using that calculator during this huge sale would actually end up being a lot closer to reality for me. :lol

dejan

So far, so good:

- King's Quest Collection
- Defense Grid: The Awakening
- Grand Theft Auto IV
- Oddworld Abes Oddysee and Exoddus package
- Space Quest Collection
- Braid
- Outrun2006 Coast 2 Coast

Salacious Crumb

I <3 Memes said:
Your pc should run GTA IV great. I'm sorry to hear that you are having trouble but what is happening for you is not common for someone with specs similar to yours.

I get around 35-45 fps 1080P with all settings high, and sliders set to around 50%. If the game ran like that consistently I'd be happy, but I seem to be having streaming issues or something cause when I turn down a street It'll drop to 10-15 FPS for like 2-4 seconds..... maybe a defrag will help?

fresquito

BG&E runs like shit on my computer.

I'm using W7 x64, so I had to turn off some options because there was this awfull flickering. But when I've solved that problem I find the game stutters like crazy. I know my rig is not the best out there, but you'd think that with 4GB RAM, an Ati HD4850 1GB and a 4600+ AMD dual core the game would run silky smooth.

Big disappointment. I'll try to find a solution, but right now, I'm very upset with BG&E PC version.

EDit: Besides, it seems there's no controller support. WTF! Nostalgia felt much better than this purchase >_<

Nelo Ice

Banned
brain_stew said:
They're each less than $4US over at gog.com, DRM free with a bunch of extra goodies, don't thinl you'll beat that deal tbh.

yep great deal for anyone wanting to pick up the old fallouts :D

Doomslayer said:
I get around 35-45 fps 1080P with all settings high, and sliders set to around 50%. If the game ran like that consistently I'd be happy, but I seem to be having streaming issues or something cause when I turn down a street It'll drop to 10-15 FPS for like 2-4 seconds..... maybe a defrag will help?

That's about right for 1080p and all high settings. Try a defrag or maybe set textures down to medium. That 4870 is 512mb x2 right? Could be that GTA doesn't like the memory set-up of x2 rigs. Also steam has a defrag utility for games you can try. Just right click on GTA in your games menu and look around for a bit and you should find it. Ive never seen the point in it but you never know.

fresquito said:
BG&E runs like shit on my computer.

I'm using W7 x64, so I had to turn off some options because there was this awfull flickering. But when I've solved that problem I find the game stutters like crazy. I know my rig is not the best out there, but you'd think that with 4GB RAM, an Ati HD4850 1GB and a 4600+ AMD dual core the game would run silky smooth.

Big disappointment. I'll try to find a solution, but right now, I'm very upset with BG&E PC version.

EDit: Besides, it seems there's no controller support. WTF! Nostalgia felt much better than this purchase >_<

First thing you should try is to Alt-Tab out of the game, then Control-Alt-Delete. Now go to processes and find the process for BG&E, right-click on it and set affinity to 1.

Dragmire

Eaten By A Grue said:
Actually I do not think the servers are getting hammered in general, I think it is the GTAIV download itself. I downloaded Dawn of Discovery and Fallout:GOTYE in a few minutes without any download speed problems and those are pretty comparable in size. GTAIV has been going for hours though and is only ~60% done.
Yeah, that seems to be my experience too. GTAIV does seem to download slower than everything else. :p

Psy-Phi

-Pew Pew-[Psy-Phi] owns 184 games worth: $1,329.65 USD
-Pew Pew-[Psy-Phi] has had a Steam account since: November 16, 2004, or ~62 months
-Pew Pew-[Psy-Phi] has spent an average of $21.45 USD per month
What's Your Account Worth?
Should I be scared? Ashamed? or Proud?

EDIT: Also, I already own STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl (and just bought Clear Sky), but I don't see it in the games to download/install list. It's in the list of games I own though...anybody own both and only see one?

EDIT2: And it is in my list on my Desktop. I was at work looking for it on my laptop. It's installed on my Desktop though...now I don't know if I should ever uninstall it :(.

Doomslayer said:

Fwiw, the sliders that are equivalent to the console settings are 20%for view distance, 10% for detail distance, 10% for traffic density, medium/low shadows, 0 for shadow density, 720p (or 640p for the PS3 version), medium textures and render quality (this is af) at basically 0. So you're rendering the game at somewhere between 5-10x the quality of the console version and still getting twice the framerate, is that really so bad?

After 30% or so, those sliders start not being worth it imo, and just unnecasarilly eat through performance. You can try out some of the performance tweaks here:

http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showforum=240

I'd also recommend installing the "ultimate graphics tweak" as well.

It also sounds to me you're running low on VRAM at times, reducing view distance and reflection resolution will cut this down a huge amount, I'd set view distance to ~35% personally.

Edit: Everyone buying GTA4 for the first time should read through this FAQ:

http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=397064

Rockstar weren't very clear ingame on what all the settings were for and this is what lead to a lot of misguided complaints. I prefer the fact that they've made the game "future proff" and let you crank stuff to insanely ridiculous levels but often people need to be saved from their own naivety. 100% maxed out settings in GTA4 are not designed for today's hardware. Bear that in mind and realise the console equivalent settings are:

PS3:

Resolution 630p @ ~20 -25 fps
Texture Quality Medium
Reflection Resolution Medium
Water Quality Medium
Shadow Quality Medium
Render Quality Low
View Distance 21
Detail Distance 10
Vehicle Density 33
Shadow Density does not exist on the PS3
Definition off
Vsync off

And you'll start to realise that the fact the game runs slow with everything at 100%, makes complete sense. I'd personally start with "console level" quality sliders and work your way up from there.

So i am getting these after several revisions of all the games in my cart lol.

-Braid
-Indigo Prophecy
-Machinarium
-Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood
-wallace and gromit pack
-osmos
-Oddworld pack

for a toal of 48.53, woot! Now to see what they have for daily deal for the rest of the week! I am going to budget another 100 to 150 dollars for the rest of this lol.

Still Considering:

-Grid
- Silent hunter: wolves of pacific
-Bionic commando rearmed

ghst

thanks for the laugh
i was thinking earlier of how steam could've completely transformed my frugal childhood.

parents, do the right thing.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
ghst said:
i was thinking earlier of how steam could've completely transformed my frugal childhood.

parents, do the right thing.

I wouldn't have left the house....maybe it's good that video games are still expensive for children :lol

atomsk

Party Pooper
DoctorWho said:
WTF? Can't see anything for Indigo Prophecy. I hear sound but the screen is black. Running Windows 7. Anyone else get this?

find the settings ini file, and change the game so it doesnt start full screen

i had the same issue

fresquito

I <3 Memes said:
First thing you should try is to Alt-Tab out of the game, then Control-Alt-Delete. Now go to processes and find the process for BG&E, right-click on it and set affinity to 1.
Thanks sir, it's improved, but still very crappy.

Mirror's Edge 4.99 USD
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Clear Sky 4.99 USD
Lucasarts Jedi Knight Bundle 9.99 USD
Torchlight 9.99 USD
Audiosurf 2.50 USD
Star Wars: KOTOR 4.99 USD
Lucasarts Adventure Bundle 2.49 USD
Thief: Deadly Shadows 13.39 USD

total 53.33 USD

GOD DAMN!

brain_stew said:
Rockstar weren't very clear ingame on what all the settings were for and this is what lead to a lot of misguided complaints. I prefer the fact that they've made the game "future proff" and let you crank stuff to insanely ridiculous levels but often people need to be saved from their own naivety. 100% maxed out settings in GTA4 are not designed for today's hardware.

I know what you mean. I do think a big ton of the flak Rockstar received for the PC version was because people were in the mind set that "it ran on a 360, i should be able to max it out no problem" (that and you deffinately needed Nvidia's beta drivers released at the time, and ATI's sorta sucked badly at the time). If Rockstar made the sliders %100 = 360's settings you wouldnt of seen as many people complaining as they did. While it does take a bit more compared to the average PC game to run nicely, it hardly think its a "bad" port. They added -

Video Editor (This to me was worth the double dip alone)
New outfits
32 player MP
Custom Radio (With a presenter)
Browse games in MP

That along with the continued patch support, and it looks like Lost n Damned is coming, makes me believe R* actually give a toss about PC version. The current Steam price is a steal, and if/when you upgrade your PC in the future your only going to have an even more impressive graphical sploogeathon :D

Would be fuck awesome if they added DX10 + AA though ............

Cohsae

Ogs said:
I know what you mean. I do think a big ton of the flak Rockstar received for the PC version was because people were in the mind set that "it ran on a 360, i should be able to max it out no problem" (that and you deffinately needed Nvidia's beta drivers released at the time, and ATI's sorta sucked badly at the time). If Rockstar made the sliders %100 = 360's settings you wouldnt of seen as many people complaining as they did. While it does take a bit more compared to the average PC game to run nicely, it hardly think its a "bad" port. They added -

Video Editor (This to me was worth the double dip alone)
New outfits
32 player MP
Custom Radio (With a presenter)
Browse games in MP

That along with the continued patch support, and it looks like Lost n Damned is coming, makes me believe R* actually give a toss about PC version. The current Steam price is a steal, and if/when you upgrade your PC in the future your only going to have an even more impressive graphical sploogeathon :D

Would be fuck awesome if they added DX10 + AA though ............
I agree with this to some extent, although a lot of the flak was deserved. Because if you bought the game at retail on PC the day it came out (like me) you couldn't actually play it.
And I still think that having the gem limit my graphics settings to what it deems appropriate is bullshit, but thankfully you can get around that. And with the patches they actually did improve performance so kudos to them for that.

Javaman said:
How well is Outrun 2006 optimized? Would it run decently on a Athlon 64 3000+ 9800GT?

You'll get a perfect 60fps at 1080p with oodles of AA. It was originally designed around beefed up Xbox1 hardware afterall.

Top Bottom