• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2009 Begins! (Dec 22nd - Jan 3rd)

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I will spend $20 on this sale. I think I'm committed to The Witcher. I've been waiting for it and I'll jump on it now. What else should I get? I like RPG, Action, Adventure and don't mind a bit of strategy either. :D

Oh, I have STALKER, Torchlight and KOTOR already.

zoku88

I don't see why someone would buy a DD version of EU3 complete when you can get it of of Amazon for $10. That even comes with a gamersgate DD code.

Kintaro said:
I will spend $20 on this sale. I think I'm committed to The Witcher. I've been waiting for it and I'll jump on it now. What else should I get? I like RPG, Action, Adventure and don't mind a bit of strategy either. :D

Oh, I have STALKER, Torchlight and KOTOR already.

Go pick up Defense Grid for your light strategy fix, its just about as good as Tower Defence gets.

Alien shooter 2: Revisted for your action fix with a little bit of RPG leveling and loot collecting thrown in for $1.

Rome: Total War for your more hardcore strategy fix.

Machnarium for that adventure itch, if you want to go cheap then just get the Lucasarts adventure pack.

KJ_Wii

Neo Member
Eidos Collector Pack - $49.99
RollerCoaster Tycoon 3: Platinum - $10.19
King's Quest Collection - $4.99
Space Quest Collection - $4.99
Braid - $2.49
Rome: Total War - Gold - $2.49

Didn't seem to be a special sale but also picked up:
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic - $4.99

Total - $80.13

fresquito

Okay, so my purchases so far are:

Defense Grid: The Awakening. I've clocked three hours already. I'm having a good time. however I'd like a less serious setting. I need something light in the game to breathe from time to time.

Audiosurf. I've been toying around. Have tried the demo before and it's always resulted in a confusing experience, but somewhat worth it. I guess that I will dig it as I understand it more. Neat concept and is good to play songs you like. Too bad I don't like electronic music, which this game seems to be designed for.

Outrun 2006 Coast 2 Coast. I had played some of this at a friends home before, so I know I've done one hell of a purchase here.

Beyond Good & Evil. One of the biggest surprises of past generation for me. I loved it but had to sell it. At least I'll get to replay it and own it again.

Rur0ni

stinger009 said:
Where did you find this? Have been waiting for something like that.
I actually saw this pack last night myself. Resisting for the moment. :p I think that stays on sale until the 3rd.

ACE 1991

bengraven said:
Also, that PoP deal (22 bucks for all four recent games) is nice...dammit...

Really considering Sands of Time... How "Puzzley" is it? I'm in the mood for a action/platformer with not "too" many puzzles.

bengraven

Stuff I'm on the fence about:

Hinterland
Gothic 3
Star Wars: Jedi Knight Collection (or at least Academy for $5)
Bard's Tale (already played it on Xbox, but I can get a lot of games for $7.50 haha)
Rome: Total War Gold
Unreal Collection

RedSwirl

ACE 1991 said:
Really considering Sands of Time... How "Puzzley" is it? I'm in the mood for a action/platformer with not "too" many puzzles.

Quite a bit. The "action" part is probably the worst part of Sands of Time. Most of the game is platforming but there are complex puzzles.

You should get it anyway, it's one of the best platformers ever made.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
brain_stew said:
Go pick up Defense Grid for your light strategy fix, its just about as good as Tower Defence gets.

Alien shooter 2: Revisted for your action fix with a little bit of RPG leveling and loot collecting thrown in for $1.

Rome: Total War for your more hardcore strategy fix.

Machnarium for that adventure itch, if you want to go cheap then just get the Lucasarts adventure pack.

You're my hero. :D

Durante

I just bought Defense Grid for 2.24€. I certainly didn't plan to, I have 5 unfinished games just among those I started in this quarter :/. Curse you time-limited deal!

pringles

Going to pick up Stalker and BG&E (double-dip, been wanting to replay it but too lazy to drag out the old Xbox).
Really tempted to get either Hitman 2 or Hitman:Blood Money... decisions decisions decisions..

bengraven

ACE 1991 said:

There are some platforming/action sections with fairly brief puzzle zones between them. Much like the first few Tomb Raider games. I had PoP1 for Xbox a long time ago and I truly miss it. I would like to complete it.

stinger009 said:
Where did you find this? Have been waiting for something like that.

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/1184/

Nabs

took me 20 min to actually purchase anything. it was giving me such a hard time :lol

got Stalker and Mirrors Edge for 7 bucks :D

RedSwirl said:
Quite a bit. The "action" part is probably the worst part of Sands of Time. Most of the game is platforming but there are complex puzzles.

You should get it anyway, it's one of the best platformers ever made.

I don't get all the hate for the combat in Sands of Time. I actually liked the separation of combat and puzzles in the game, and I really enjoyed the combat, even if it wasn't as good as the platforming.

Railer

Sweet sale.
Picked up a few games, hoping for something nice on tomorrow's sale also.

Defense Grid
Lucasarts Adventure Pack
Stalker

Bought the adventure pack since i've heard so much about fate of atlantis on Idle Thumbs, so started to play it today. It doesnt look bad in windowed mode, i thought it would look horrible but it's not bad at all. And the game is awesome so far.

Doytch

vocab said:
What's better King's Quest or Space Quest?

Also How long is Machinarium and Aquaria?
Machinarium isn't too long. Definitely under 10 hours, I'd say closer to 5-6. I really hope a "shorter" length doesn't dissaude you though - it really was one of my favourite games this year.

bengraven

I might just keep these games in my cart until Jan 3...I KNOW that in 17 hours STEAM is going to put up a game for sale that I'm going to need.

hadar

Tempted to grab L4D2 since I missed the preorder deal, probably the lowest it'll be during this whole thing, right?

bengraven

stinger009 said:
Bugger, must not be available in Australia as that link just takes me to main page.

Yep, link works for me. Sorry mate.

Diomedeskun said:
I don't get all the hate for the combat in Sands of Time. I actually liked the separation of combat and puzzles in the game, and I really enjoyed the combat, even if it wasn't as good as the platforming.

I agree: I thought the combination was absolutely perfect.

Platforming, action sequence, platforming, puzzle, action sequence, platforming....

bengraven

DeaconKnowledge said:
GTA IV bought.

Ugh. I don't even really want it, but 7.50 was too good to pass up.

Give me Fallout 3 Cheap you bastards!

Speaking of which, I am pissed there's no deal on Fallout 1/2.

I'll pay $10 for both, gimme you bastards! My crystal cases were lost in a move 12 years ago!

Rur0ni

bengraven said:
Speaking of which, I am pissed there's no deal on Fallout 1/2.

I'll pay $10 for both, gimme you bastards! My crystal cases were lost in a move 12 years ago!
GoG? Like $8 for both I think.

Zachack

bengraven said:
Gothic 3 has T-rexes and rhinos both. Way tempting. ha

Hm, might have to check that out.
GOG is having a massive sale right now. If you've never used them be prepared to spend about $75-100 the first time you go.

The Nancy Drew complete pack is a STEAL! 16 games and they each sell for between $10-$20, on sale for $49.50.

Also, FYI--------FYI----

I would suggest AGAINST waiting until 1/3/2009 to pick up the games that you want. Valve in the past has ended sales a tad early. Whatever you want to buy, I would suggest doing it a day or two PRIOR to the last day.

bengraven

Zachack said:
GOG is having a massive sale right now. If you've never used them be prepared to spend about $75-100 the first time you go.

Holy shit, good call. Why isn't there a thread about this?

Fallout 1, 2 and Tactics for $3.49 each.

HOLY SHIT, Might and Magic 6-pack (all the classic PC WRPGs) for just $7!

Earthworm Jim 1 AND 2 for 3.89!

Dragmire said:
Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but how do you change servers? I've been trying to download GTAIV since last night and it won't download.
Actually I do not think the servers are getting hammered in general, I think it is the GTAIV download itself. I downloaded Dawn of Discovery and Fallout:GOTYE in a few minutes without any download speed problems and those are pretty comparable in size. GTAIV has been going for hours though and is only ~60% done.

Twig

Banned
bengraven said:

There is.

Rur0ni

bengraven said:

Plus they have a lot of bonus material for everything. GoG deserves more love.

Beyond Good and Evil

Star Wars: KOTOR

Outrun2006 Coast 2 Coast

Mirror's Edge

STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl

Braid

Audiosurf

Lucasarts Adventure Bundle

All for 22 euros! I love Steam! :D

Now let´s see if I find any time to play all this, doubt it!

Nice to see eveyone's picking up Outrun. :D

The PC version is great, especially when you crank up the AA to CGI levels, it ends up looking beyond beautiful.

brain_stew said:
Nice to see eveyone's picking up Outrun. :D

The PC version is great, especially when you crank up the AA to CGI levels, it ends up looking beyond beautiful.
Yeah, I was kinda interested in it back when the XBLA version came out, but I remembered you and others saying good things about the PC version, so I'm glad I held off. I'm not a big arcade racer guy, but it shouldn't be hard to get $2.50 worth of value out of it.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
LovingSteam said:
The Nancy Drew complete pack is a STEAL! 16 games and they each sell for between $10-$20, on sale for $49.50.

Also, FYI--------FYI----

I would suggest AGAINST waiting until 1/3/2009 to pick up the games that you want. Valve in the past has ended sales a tad early. Whatever you want to buy, I would suggest doing it a day or two PRIOR to the last day.
Yep, that's my feeling too. My plan is to buy the games that have high priority on my want-list such as kings bountys gold, eu 3 complete, telltale complete collection. Then waiting till the forth, for any extras i could pick up.

hamchan said:
I can't see it from the Australian store :(
There are certain publisher packages that don't seem to appear in the au store at all. Seems silly.>_>

PARANO1A

Any way for Aussies to get the Sierra quest games? :( I loved those so much back in the day. Plus I already own them so why won't you let me double-dip, Steam???

Top Bottom