• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2009 Begins! (Dec 22nd - Jan 3rd)

zoku88

EviLore said:
So undiscounted $60 Modern Warfare 2 is #6 on the top selling games list through the first day of the holiday sale.

:|
Huh, so this must be.... what it feels like.... to lose faith in humanity.

Ourobolus

Banned
For some reason I couldn't log in to Steam this morning (kept giving me crap about not having any login credentials stored on my computer even though I was clearly online, but it wouldn't pop up the login window), so I had to go through the store online. Hopefully my purchases will show up since I logged in through there.

All right, now gimme a L4D2 and DA:O sale! :)

Grayman

Defense Grid: The Awakening 2.49(actually traded for STALKER)
Deus Ex: Game of the Year Edition 6.69
Indigo Prophecy 3.39
Outrun 2006: Coast 2 Coast 2.49
Time Gentlemen, Please! and Ben There, Dan That! Double Pack 2.49

18 bucks well spent i hope

Javaman

Gamer @ Heart said:
Omg. Im getting my ass handed to me on a silver plater in STALKER. Not being a pc gamer isnt helping because i suck with mouse and keyboard controls, but im determined to play it. It was too good a deal to pass up.

First, can i use a 360 controller for this game?

Second, what the best guide out there?

The first battle is the hardest. Once you snag their equipment things become much easier.

Mrbob

Remember disc sales logged into steam count towards MW2 as its a new game activation. Doesn't mean its selling well on steam at the moment. This is why you see counter strike source pop up on the top 10 list sometimes.

Mrbob said:
Remember disc sales logged into steam count towards MW2 as its a new game activation. Doesn't mean its selling well on steam at the moment. This is why you see counter strike source pop up on the top 10 list sometimes.

No, they don't. The top 10 sales correspond to total revenue received through steam in the last 24 hours not units and not activated retail copies. It must be noted, as its ranked by revenue then something like Braid would have to outsell it by more than 20:1 to appear above it. Still, ridiculous, either way, mind, though Steam is the only digital retailer that sells MW2.

zoku88 said:
Huh, so this must be.... what it feels like.... to lose faith in humanity.

Again, as its ranked by revenue, Mirror's Edge for instance is currently outselling MW2 by more than 12:1, so its not all bad.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
Oh man, I want the Time Gentlemen/BTDT pack and other stuff, but my CC will collapse if I don't control myself :lol :lol :lol

:(

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
brain_stew said:
No, they don't. The top 10 sales correspond to total revenue received through steam in the last 24 hours not units and not activated retail copies. It must be noted, as its ranked by revenue then something like Braid would have to outsell it by more than 20:1 to appear above it. Still, ridiculous, either way, mind, though Steam is the only digital retailer that sells MW2.
That explains it.

Does steam lock you out of purchases after N number of purchases in quick succession?

I bought a ton of games last night and now I can't buy anything. At first I thought it was my credit card . . . so I tried other credit cards and no joy. So I then tried PayPal and I know I have around $100 in there and I was only trying to buy a $1.99 item. But still, I was being rejected!

So is there some anti-fraud alarm that goes off after a certain number of purchases? I did 3 purchases last night within 2 hours of each other and then it hasn't let me buy anything since then.

WTF?

Restricted myself to Stalker, Defense Grid, and Lucasarts Adventure Pack to start but I know by Jan. 3 I'll have spent a lot more. I love the Dig, but missed the Indy games so I'm excited to go back to them.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Mrbob said:

As mentioned, that's incorrect.

It's purely $$ value generated, not units activated.

Torchlight must be raking in some monster sales mind, its been in the top 10 pretty much since launch, which is no mean feat. considering its ranked by revenue and its just a small budget indie title with basically no marketing outside of good word of mouth. Before Steam, something like that would have struggled to even be published.

As tempting as it is to go absolutely gongshow and buy up game after game after game I'm just going to download the demo for Torchlight and possibly buy that. I already have a sizable backlog of unplayed console and handheld games, due largely in part to Team Fortress 2. Don't need to compound that problem.

jaundicejuice said:
As tempting as it is to go absolutely gongshow and buy up game after game after game I'm just going to download the demo for Torchlight and possibly buy that. I already have a sizable backlog of unplayed console and handheld games, due largely in part to Team Fortress 2. Don't need to compound that problem.

I squarely put blame on valve for my HUGE FUCK ALL backlog of pc games lol. It all started with HL2, then ep:1 and 2 + portal + counter strike source + l4d + l4d2 and most of all TF2. They make such good games that it is hard for me to dig into other things. Oh and i forgot to mention HL;DM and TFC which sucked up countless years of my life to. I miss playing gasworks in HL;DM with the crossbow sitting on top of the smoke towers plinking away at people.

b.e.r.g

brain_stew said:
Yes, just send them to another email address instead of the Steam username. You'll be able to resend them come Christmas day, or you can just forward that email.
Ah clever :) Thanks!

speculawyer said:
Does steam lock you out of purchases after N number of purchases in quick succession?

I bought a ton of games last night and now I can't buy anything. At first I thought it was my credit card . . . so I tried other credit cards and no joy. So I then tried PayPal and I know I have around $100 in there and I was only trying to buy a $1.99 item. But still, I was being rejected!

So is there some anti-fraud alarm that goes off after a certain number of purchases? I did 3 purchases last night within 2 hours of each other and then it hasn't let me buy anything since then.

WTF?

OK, I think the answer to this is "Yes".

I created a 2nd account for my daughter where I bought the Telltale pack. And I was able to buy stuff on that account with the credit cards that don't seem to work on my Speculawyer account. Weird.

Sucks though. I'm sure I'll want to buy more "M" rated stuff that I don't want on her account and I can't seem to buy on my Speculawyer account. :-(

zoku88

speculawyer said:
OK, I think the answer to this is "Yes".

I created a 2nd account for my daughter where I bought the Telltale pack. And I was able to buy stuff on that account with the credit cards that don't seem to work on my Speculawyer account. Weird.

Sucks though. I'm sure I'll want to buy more "M" rated stuff that I don't want on her account and I can't seem to buy on my Speculawyer account. :-(
Use her acct you gift your acct stuff?

A hassle, but it seems like its the only way. Or you can try emailing Valve and see what's up.

brain_stew said:
Torchlight must be raking in some monster sales mind, its been in the top 10 pretty much since launch, which is no mean feat. considering its ranked by revenue and its just a small budget indie title with basically no marketing outside of good word of mouth. Before Steam, something like that would have struggled to even be published.
They are ranked by revenue? Ah. Well, those games up on the charted that go for $2 to $2.50 must be doing massive sales!

zoku88 said:
Use her acct you gift your acct stuff?

A hassle, but it seems like its the only way. Or you can try emailing Valve and see what's up.
LOL, why didn't I think of that. :lol

Fucking bonehead, Spec! :lol

Sysgen

Geez Outrun C2C looks (after finding config.exe) and plays sensational. I know there are alot of great games in this sale but at 2.49 this is an awesome deal.

Smash88

Banned
I got to give a big shout out to speculawyer for gifting me STALKER. It might only be $1.99, but for me that is a big deal. I honestly appreciate his kindness and generosity. For him to even consider purchasing a game to a complete stranger is a great act of kindness, I can't thank you enough.

The generosity from this community is simply amazing, and I hope it never changes.

Again, a big thanks to SPECULAWYER! :D

Now I am going to go play this game to death.

Merry Christmas to you speculawyer and to all on GAF!

I won't stop thanking you until the end of time. :lol

Cohsae

Sysgen said:
Geez Outrun C2C looks (after finding config.exe) and plays sensational. I know there are alot of great games in this sale but at 2.49 this is an awesome deal.
And the music. Oh god the music!

Kipe

steam said:
Oops, this is embarrassing. Due to high demand we have temporarily run out of unique keys for this title. You may, by all means, purchase at the awesome sale price but may not be able to play until we receive more unique product keys. It shouldn't take too long, we have sent armed guards to the publisher's house to get them out of bed, drive them to their secret lair and produce more keys.

It seems DD can run out of stock. :lol

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Jirotrom said:
so what do you all think of the telltale games?

Can be fun in small doses. Wouldn't really recommend the complete pack, it'll definitely get old if you try to play through all of them.

vocab

Jirotrom said:

Tales of Monkey is probably their best work, followed by Sam and Max. I'm not a fan of Strong Bad, but Wallace & Gromit, while isn't my cup of tea, is pretty decent. I only own TOMI, and Sam and Max Season 1 and 2 on the Telltale site. If you like Lucas Art adventure games, or adventure games in general you should play these games. Telltale has really stepped up their game since the first Sam and Max game, and since Season 3 is coming out next year, It's gonna be good stuff. They really are the only company really producing quality adventure games besides the occasional indie title that comes out.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Jirotrom said:
Sam and Max Season 1/2 are definitely worth playing (with the second half of Season 1 being much, much better than the first), as is Tales of Monkey Island. Wallace and Gromit is hit and miss, but I still had a lot of fun with it. I haven't played that other one.

My advice is to play one per week, or so. Don't try and play them all back to back, particularly Sam and Max, or you'll get fatigued way too quickly. Monkey Island is probably the only exception to this rule.

vazel

Banned
Jirotrom said:
Easier than old school adventure games and some of their games show their console design choices clearly but they're the biggest adventure games left.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
vazel said:
Easier than old school adventure games and some of their games show their console design choices clearly but they're the biggest adventure games left.
the concessions they made with the controls have more to do with their camera than anything else. I'm fairly sure Jake Rodkin was fairly blunt about that, but I don't want to speak on his behalf.

Daigoro

brain_stew said:
Again, as its ranked by revenue, Mirror's Edge for instance is currently outselling MW2 by more than 12:1, so its not all bad.

thats good to know. i was pissed that STALKER wasnt #1 or at least top 5 at that price. but its probably selling buttloads.

Smash88 said:
I got to give a big shout out to speculawyer for gifting me STALKER. It might only be $1.99, but for me that is a big deal. I honestly appreciate his kindness and generosity. For him to even consider purchasing a game to a complete stranger is a great act of kindness, I can't thank you enough.

you'll be cursing him when you realize that you cant stand the head bobbing and gun physics. :lol

do youself a favor and DONT install the 2k9 Complete mod right away. it breaks the game. (in a good way, but the vanilla game should be played like it is for the first run imo)

Sysgen

Maybe it hasn't been mentioned but Sam & Max 104: Abe Lincoln Must Die! is free. I'm not sure if this a timed offer.

THE FULL EPISODE FOR FREE!
The fourth adventure of the legendary dog and rabbity-thing crime fighting duo is now absolutely FREE. What're you waiting for? Click the button!
...and, if you like this free game, we have lots more just like it. Take a look.

vocab said:
It's been like that for a while, and I highly recommend that no one plays it without playing the other episodes. It references previous episodes, ties in with the story, and it's very hard to get into when you have no idea what to do. If I could do it again, I would of never played that episode first. I almost didn't buy the first season because of it.

Smash88

Banned
Daigoro said:
you'll be cursing him when you realize that you cant stand the head bobbing and gun physics. :lol

do youself a favor and DONT install the 2k9 Complete mod right away. it breaks the game. (in a good way, but the vanilla game should be played like it is for the first run imo)

:lol

I'm used to head bobbing (lots of doom when I was little - although it was gun swaying - same effect). I was just reading about the physics and it seems it has realistic bullet physics, I like that.

Didn't hear about 2k9 Complete mod, going to go read about that.

Thanks again speculawyer :)

vocab

Sysgen said:
Maybe it hasn't been mentioned but Sam & Max 104: Abe Lincoln Must Die! is free. I'm not sure if this a timed offer.

It's been like that for a while, and I highly recommend that no one plays it without playing the other episodes. It references previous episodes, ties in with the story, and it's very hard to get into when you have no idea what to do. If I could do it again, I would of never played that episode first. I almost didn't buy the first season because of it.

Twig

Banned
Daigoro said:
thats good to know. i was pissed that STALKER wasnt #1 or at least top 5 at that price. but its probably selling buttloads.
I think it's also been close to that low once before maybe.

I know it's at least been as low as $5 three times by now.

Twig

Banned
EviLore said:
Can be fun in small doses. Wouldn't really recommend the complete pack, it'll definitely get old if you try to play through all of them.
Despite the fact that I am basically a TellTale fanboy, unashamedly, I agree with this.

If you play maybe an episode a week (easily doable with lots of spare time) it will be an awesome ~25 weeks (I think I got the count right?)

Bone is their worst (but I still like it (but it's not finished, and don't expect it to ever BE finished, sadly)). I think all of them are pretty damn entertaining, but they're also pretty different styles of humor. (Wallace and Gromit being the most distinct.)

In other words: I recommend buying it if you want it.
Rez said:
the concessions they made with the controls have more to do with their camera than anything else. I'm fairly sure Jake Rodkin was fairly blunt about that, but I don't want to speak on his behalf.
You are correct. He posted as much in the TOMI thread.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
23kyrnr.jpg

Thoughts? So far, the only actual sure buys on that list are The Witcher and The Void, though the Telltale pack is pretty damn close to 100%.

Top Bottom