• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2009 Begins! (Dec 22nd - Jan 3rd)

Cohsae said:
I agree with this to some extent, although a lot of the flak was deserved. Because if you bought the game at retail on PC the day it came out (like me) you couldn't actually play it.

Yeah that i can deffinately agree with. The R* social club app thing along with the dual (hell triple if bought on Steam) login thing was plain stupid, along with the original issues.

Cohsae said:
I agree with this to some extent, although a lot of the flak was deserved. Because if you bought the game at retail on PC the day it came out (like me) you couldn't actually play it.
And I still think that having the gem limit my graphics settings to what it deems appropriate is bullshit, but thankfully you can get around that. And with the patches they actually did improve performance so kudos to them for that.

Oh don't get me wrong, the launch was one major clusterfuck and I'm not going to defend it in anyway but the the actual game isn't nearly as unoptimised as some people belive it to be, especially after numerous performance enhancing patches. With a growing mod scene, the ability to pump out much better graphics and the super cheap sale price, its definitely the way to go for anyone with a modern rig. Just read those performance tweaking guides before you set it up.

Salacious Crumb

brain_stew said:
Helpful huge post

I just installed that graphics tweak and the motion blur it adds makes the game about twice as playable. in regards to to the VRAM, the game says Im using 870/1008 mb so I assume that shouldn't be an issue. This game also seems to eat system memory its sitting at 1.6GB(!) atm.

While I did just have a bitch about the games performance issues I am still having a blast playing it. (I've already played 7 hours since last night :lol)

Insane deals... Have to constraint myself so I don't buy too many games I won't ever play anyway. So far I've gotten Trine, Torchlight and the Shadowgrounds Pack. I'll probably end up with more games over the next few days...

Blizzard

Banned
fresquito said:
BG&E runs like shit on my computer.

I'm using W7 x64, so I had to turn off some options because there was this awfull flickering. But when I've solved that problem I find the game stutters like crazy. I know my rig is not the best out there, but you'd think that with 4GB RAM, an Ati HD4850 1GB and a 4600+ AMD dual core the game would run silky smooth.

Big disappointment. I'll try to find a solution, but right now, I'm very upset with BG&E PC version.

EDit: Besides, it seems there's no controller support. WTF! Nostalgia felt much better than this purchase >_<
Weird...I have an e8400 and a 512MB ATI 4850 with 4GB RAM and W7 RC x64, so I'm hoping it runs better on my system. I played a little in Vista home premium 64 and it seemed to run okay, though maybe there were some weird stutters I don't remember now?

I'm pretty sure I just played with a mouse, but you might try http://www.gog.com/en/forum/beyond_good_and_evil/controller_support for setting it up with a controller.

RedSwirl

Doomslayer said:
Chronicles of Riddick: Dark Athena. $6.79

Yay or nay?

If you ain't played Riddick at all, definitely. If you have played Butcher Bay, think about it.

It all has improved graphics and the Dark Athena campaign was really solid up until the last act.

I already went through the whole thing on PS3 and still got Dark Athena during the Thanksgiving sale.

Twig

Banned
I personally bought GTA4 with the expectation that I'd be running it on close to the lowest settings. O:

I'll experiment to find what works after I download it, but yeah.

Mostly I just hope to finally be able to play multiplayer! (lol gold)

I'm sure vanilla Torchlight will keep me occupied for quite some time, but are there any essential mods I should be aware of before starting it?

TheOneGuy said:
I personally bought GTA4 with the expectation that I'd be running it on close to the lowest settings. O:

Specs? I should bea ble to give you a good indication of how it'll run in comparison to the console release. Remember, don't go crazy on those sliders, anything past 50% or so is basically just throwing away performance.

Not sure if it's been mentioned yet but the great indie strategy title Gratiutious Space Battles is 50% off at $9.99. That's the cheapest I've seen since it came out.

Very fun game, though I would suggest playing the demo first if you haven't read the internet buzz about it.

TheOneGuy said:

Specs? I should bea ble to give you a good indication of how it'll run in comparison to the console release. Remember, don't go crazy on those sliders, anything past 50% or so is basically just throwing away performance. Your CPU speed matters the most.

Fragamemnon said:
Not sure if it's been mentioned yet but the great indie strategy title Gratiutious Space Battles is 50% off at $9.99. That's the cheapest I've seen since it came out.

Very fun game, though I would suggest playing the demo first if you haven't read the internet buzz about it.

Mind answering my question with regards to AI War?

brain_stew said:
What's the co-op multiplayer setup in A.I. War like? Is it easy enough to get going or do I need to pre plan and arrange regular session á la EU3 or similar? Is the single player a worthy substitute if the multiplayer is out of the equation? Only just realised it was part of the sale.

Omg. Im getting my ass handed to me on a silver plater in STALKER. Not being a pc gamer isnt helping because i suck with mouse and keyboard controls, but im determined to play it. It was too good a deal to pass up.

First, can i use a 360 controller for this game?

Second, what the best guide out there?

Paulathon said:
Haven't seen this posted in a while, seems as good a place as any.

Total value of your Steam games - replace my ID with yours.

Note it calculates the value based on the current prices so if you want to see the normal value you'll have to wait until the sale ends.
Neat. Chet Faliszek borked the system by checking his Valve account (assumedly it costs nearly 8,000 dollars to currently buy everything on Steam).

Chris R

dragonflys545 said:
Damn... I don't know if i want to get it via steam now...

I am thinking about alien shooter 2, shadow ground, and some other cheap games.
Not taking too long. I have an 8MBPS line, so I get around 950-1000kbps downloads. 20% downloaded so far, but I had my PC off quite a long time and speeds are shit right now due to the servers being hammered. I just hope my ISP understands :lol

Max

I am not Max
Gamer @ Heart said:
Omg. Im getting my ass handed to me on a silver plater in STALKER. Not being a pc gamer isnt helping because i suck with mouse and keyboard controls, but im determined to play it. It was too good a deal to pass up.

First, can i use a 360 controller for this game?

Second, what the best guide out there?
Get Stalker Complete 2009, it fixes a lot and makes the game a lot more enjoyable/playable http://www.moddb.com/mods/stalker-complete-2009

You shouldn't want to use a 360 controller, get used to the pc controls and you'll love them.

If you really need a guide you could just use gamefaqs

brain_stew said:
Mind answering my question with regards to AI War?

Sure thing. This thread is hard to keep up with.

What's the co-op multiplayer setup in A.I. War like? Is it easy enough to get going or do I need to pre plan and arrange regular session á la EU3 or similar? Is the single player a worthy substitute if the multiplayer is out of the equation? Only just realised it was part of the sale.

You'll need to set up and arrange sessions. Games usually last anywhere from 10-16 hours in terms of total playtime so the developer encourages people to arrange games outside of the game instead of in some multiplayer lobby, reasoning that the overall MP experience will be better served via quality hookups instead of any sort of matchmaking. I kinda agree.

I've played the game solely in single player and find it tremendous in that capacity. Most of the game's key variables-especially the all-important AI Progress-work the same regardless of players or scale appropriately.

Nelo Ice

Banned
so what are some good games for $10 or less?
atm im looking at the jedi knight collection and of course waiting for the next daily deal :lol

games ive picked up already
chaos theory
mechinarium
stalker
outrun

Fragamemnon said:

Very nice, last I checked it was full price. Might pick that up later.

Nelo Ice said:
atm im looking at the jedi knight collection and of course waiting for the next daily deal :lol

chaos theory
mechinarium
stalker
outrun

Get the Shadowgrounds pack.

Nelo Ice said:

chaos theory
mechinarium
stalker
outrun

GTA IV of course. But Assassins Creed and Far Cry 2 are also $10 right now.

Also Rainbow 6: Vegas is $10 and R6:Vegas 2 is either $4 or $5.

RedSwirl said:
What kind of shooter is Star Wars Republic Commando? It's $4.99.
Generic console I guess. But its pretty fun. It tries to do some of the tactical squad mechanics but they are really simplistic and I think for the most part they were ok but mainly there just for the sake of being there. If it runs without a problem on current hardware then go for it, its pretty fun. Obviously liking star wars and the latest 3 movies helps.

Bebpo

Banned
Nelo Ice said:

chaos theory
mechinarium
stalker
outrun

Yeah, I'd appreciate it a lot if someone could make a thread of a list of MUST-BUY AT THESE PRICES FANTASTIC PC GAMES - STEAM SALE

and kinda list the best deals with a sentence about why the game is good and a must buy at the sale price.

I'm very overwhelmed with how many titles are on sale so I'm just not buying anything because I don't know what the cream of the crop is.

Bebpo said:
Yeah, I'd appreciate it a lot if someone could make a thread of a list of MUST-BUY AT THESE PRICES FANTASTIC PC GAMES - STEAM SALE

and kinda list the best deals with a sentence about why the game is good and a must buy at the sale price.

I'm very overwhelmed with how many titles are on sale so I'm just not buying anything because I don't know what the cream of the crop is.

I'll resurrect my post from earlier on about some of the must have indie titles if you like?

Defense Grid: A couple of dollars and the most polished and balanced Tower Defence game you'll ever play, looks nice to boot.

Shadowgrounds Pack: These are a top down version of what Doom 3 should have been. Intense action, excellent moody lighting effects and a decent enough story/universe. You get both titles for about $5, they're both decent length and support upto 4 player offline co-op on the same machine.

The "Shooter" games: A combination of Diablo and Smash TV, they're 99p each or a few quid for the pack, if you're picky go for Alien Shooter 2. Loads of loot and loads of shooting with a huge selection of guns and an awesome visual style.

Trials 2: The predecessor of the most popular Arcade game on the 360 this year, sure it needs no introduction, hard as nails.

Machinarium, Braid, World of Goo and Audiosurf are all utter non brainers as well, just buy them, don't even bother thinking about it.

To add to that:

Outrun 2006: The best version of the best arcade racer of the last decade for $2.50? Go get it now!! Works with any pad and has extensive control configuration options, it includes all the content from the original Outrun 2 as well as Richard Jacques beautiful Euro remixes that are worth the price of admission alone. Only failing is no force feedback support but the super low requirements, stunning visuals and the fact you get twice as much content as the XBLA release for a quarter of the price more than make up for that.

Rome: Total War: Widely regarded as the best game in the Total War series and available for a couple of dollars, you can't go wrong.

Mirrors Edge: The biggest leap forward for platformers in the last decade and the PC is its natural home, controls beatifully and a visual feast from start to finish. Any old school Sonic fan will love this.

Just nabbed:

• Beyond Good and Evil
  • KOTOR
  • Titan Quest Gold
  • Torchlight
  • Deus Ex GOTY Edition
  • Rome: Total War

Love these kind of sales, especially because where I live, it's exceedingly hard to grab older PC games. Yay Steam!

Minsc

Gold Member
Bebpo said:

If you browse Stumpokapow's posts over the first five pages, you'll have a good list, here I'll do it for you:

Stumpokapow said:
braid 2.49

king's quest I-VI 4.99

mirror's edge 4.99

gta4 7.49

defense grid 2.49

oddworld abe's odyssey / abe's exodus - 1.87 each or 2.49 for both

world of goo 4.99

evil genius 1.99

luxor 3 0.99

trials 2 4.99

space quest collection 4.99

ghostbusters 2009 6.79

riddick assault on dark athena 6.79

full wallace and gromit pack 10.19

the witcher 13.59

indigo prophecy 3.39

trine 7.99

roogoo 4.99

the void 9.99

unreal pack 13.59

Stumpokapow said:
tropico 3 19.99!!!

tropico reloaded 4.99

broken sword 2 2.99

broken sword 3 2.99

majesty 2 14.99!!!

fallout 3 goty (with all dlc) 37.49

morrowind goty 14.99

majesty 4.99

east india company 14.99

mount and blade 14.99

europa universalis 3 14.99

hearts of iron 2 12.49

penumbra super duper edition 7.49

Stumpokapow said:
deus ex 6.69 <-----------------------------------------------
deus ex 2 6.69
red faction guerilla 19.99
red faction 2 4.99
red faction 4.99
saints row 2 14.99

Stumpokapow said:
secret of monkey island SE 4.99
jedi knight: jedi academy 4.99
civ 3 3.34 even if it is the bete noire of the series
plants versus zombies 7.49 best tower defence game ever made
titan quest gold 9.99

audiosurf 2.50 <------------------------- pc game of the century also i could swear this was 9.99 a few minutes ago so i guess more stuff is dropping as we speak

Stumpokapow said:
time gentlemen please 2.49
safecracker 2.49
overlord 2.99
x-com games all 3.34
nikopol 3.99
jedi knight 2 jedi outcast 4.99
kotor 4.99
lucidity 4.99
prince of persia sands of time 4.99
far cry 4.99
csi hard evidence 4.99
beyond good and evil 4.99
droplitz 4.99
puzzle quest 4.99

homm 5 4.99
dark sector 4.99
runaway 4.99
culpa innata 4.99
hinterland 6.49

!

Stumpokapow said:
bc: rearmed 7.49
bookworm adventures 7.49
bookworm adventures 2 7.49
peggle deluxe 7.49
bejeweled twist 7.49
peggle nights 7.49
chuzzle 7.49
bookworm 7.49

------------> ZENO CLASH 7.49 <----

Stumpokapow said:
runaway 2 7.49
feeding frenzy 2 7.49
killing floor 9.99
far cry 2 9.99
battlefront 2 9.99
asscreed 9.99
jedi knight collection 9.99
aquaria 9.99
thrillville 2 9.99
and yet it moves 4.99
puzzle quest 2 stinker edition 9.99

even if some of these are only 25% off, still :mindblown:

Stumpokapow said:
flock 11.24
peggle complete 11.24 <-- get dis son
civ 4 13.39
serious sam hd 14.99 <-- console price, pc quality
ninja blade 14.99
overlord 2 14.99
prince of persia 2008 14.99
call of juarez 2 14.99
overlord 1+2 17.49

half of these games are 2009 retail games!!

Stumpokapow said:
homm 5 + all expansions 19.99
bad deal: left 4 dead 22.49 <-- i got this for 7.49 during the last sale don't buy this it'll be 7.49 again sometime soon

tales of monkey island pack 24.84
dawn of discovery 24.99
civ 4 + expansions 26.79

left 4 dead 2 37.49 <-- i bet this will go down more

re5 37.49

AND THAT'S IT! browsed through 100% of all items and dug up the best deals for gaf

b.e.r.g

Question: Can I purchase these games as gifts, and gift them later? Like when you bought the orange box (and already had HL2)?

kennah

Well, there's Braid, Defense Grid and Torchlight. Thought about the Telltale Complete Pack, but mostly just want it for Monkey Island anyway, so will wait and see how I feel after NYE :)

Sysgen

Sysgen said:
These sales are addictive.

Picked up:

Braid - 2.49
GTA IV - 7.49
Defense Grid - 2.49
Safecracker - 2.49
Alpha Prime - .99
Nikopol: Secrets of the Immortals - 3.99
The Void - 9.99
The Witcher: EEDC - 13.49

I need help. Had to buy more stuff despite having more than a 15 game backlog at this point and taking 2 of these 3 out of my cart yesterday.

Aquaria - 9.99
Outrun C2C 2.49
Penumbra Collectors Pack 9.99

I'm done until noon tomorrow when the specials roll-over.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
Fook it I just bought myself the complete Shooter pack too, I guess they will come in handy some day.. :lol

Here's to hoping Torchlight is one of the day deals some time, as I believe that is the only game left on Steam I have slight interest in. (that I do not already own) :lol

graywolf323

brain_stew said:
Specs? I should bea ble to give you a good indication of how it'll run in comparison to the console release. Remember, don't go crazy on those sliders, anything past 50% or so is basically just throwing away performance. Your CPU speed matters the most.

I have

Intel Core 2 Duo Processor P8400 (2.26GHz, 3MB L2, 1066MHz FSB)
17" WUXGA Glossy LCD display at 1920x1200
NVIDIA GeForce 9800M GTS with 1GB GDDR3 memory
4GB PC3-8500 DDR3 SDRAM (2GB x 2)

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I'm really getting sucked into STALKER, I had the day off and I've just been playing all day. I have no idea how to deal with radiated areas, but playing this just gives me an eerie feeling, like I'm actually in this place. Anyone who likes fallout 3 might really like this.

b.e.r.g said:
Question: Can I purchase these games as gifts, and gift them later? Like when you bought the orange box (and already had HL2)?

Yes, just send them to another email address instead of the Steam username. You'll be able to resend them come Christmas day, or you can just forward that email.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
So far I've picked up S.T.A.L.K.E.R and Hitman: Blood Money. I'm sure they'll find other ways to screw with me tomorrow.

Label said:
Fook it I just bought myself the complete Shooter pack too, I guess they will come in handy some day.. :lol

Here's to hoping Torchlight is one of the day deals some time, as I believe that is the only game left on Steam I have slight interest in. (that I do not already own) :lol

They're actually really good little games, a little mindless but they have the same sort of appeal as Torchlight,with lots of loot and constant upgrading of weapons/armour/skills. They throw a crapload of enemies and gore at you and come with a decent amount of content. Alien Shooter 2's campaign lasted me 6 hours and then there's survival modes and the like as well.

* Member for: ~62 months
* $9.76 USD per month

You own 74 games worth: $604.99 USD

$10 a month for 62 months. Ha. Who knew?

What's the mod situation like with GTAIV Steam Edition?
I want to use this thing. Text file editing is the shit.

vocab

AndyMoogle said:
How well do Space Quest and King's Quest run on Win 7 64 bit? Says that they aren't officially supported.

I would recommend trying a dosbox supported game on your setup. The dosbox that comes with those are outdated, and you'll probably have to update them.

graywolf323

the Steam Calculator is off right now since it's going by the sale prices for a lot of games

wait two weeks and see your collection value skyrocket :p

Drakken

Just bought STALKER, Indigo Prophecy, and the LucasArts Adventure Pack (LOOM, The Dig, Indiana Jones and The Fate of Atlantis, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade) for the grand total of $7.47. Wow.

Fewr

AndyMoogle said:
I'm sure vanilla Torchlight will keep me occupied for quite some time, but are there any essential mods I should be aware of before starting it?
I'd like to know this too.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
So undiscounted $60 Modern Warfare 2 is #6 on the top selling games list through the first day of the holiday sale.

:|

Top Bottom