• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2009 Begins! (Dec 22nd - Jan 3rd)

Daigoro

Smash88 said:
:lol

I'm used to head bobbing (lots of doom when I was little - although it was gun swaying - same effect). I was just reading about the physics and it seems it has realistic bullet physics, I like that.

Didn't hear about 2k9 Complete mod, going to go read about that.

Thanks again speculawyer :)

yeah i was just being a shit anyways. i enjoyed the gunplay and the head bobbing didnt bother me at all.

those are frequent complaints though.

2k9 mod is aweeeeesome, but it makes the game WAY too easy.

tabsina

How do mods work in steam?

For example, if you were to buy a Bethesda game, would you have access to the data folder? I figure the files in the "common" folder of steam are the same files as what would normally be in program files - am I right to assume that?

Monroeski said:
23kyrnr.jpg

Thoughts? So far, the only actual sure buys on that list are The Witcher and The Void, though the Telltale pack is pretty damn close to 100%.

for the packs (especially telltale) perhaps you should wait and see if there is a suitable daily deal? if only for the possibility of being able to only buy the telltale games that you definitely want to get?

adg1034

Monroeski said:
23kyrnr.jpg

Thoughts? So far, the only actual sure buys on that list are The Witcher and The Void, though the Telltale pack is pretty damn close to 100%.

Amanita Design (the developer behind Machinarium) has both Machinarium and Samorost 2 for $10 total when you buy directly from them. Add them to your Steam games list via the Add non-Steam game button, archive the installers on a portable hard drive (or something similar) and you're golden. Comes with the music to both, too.

EDIT: Defense Grid was a steal for $10, so for $2.50, you can't go wrong. It's not just a great tower defense game, it's a great game itself. Graphics, story (yes, really), humor (yes, really really), music, cool guns... Buy it. Also, Torchlight yes. It's Diablo 2.5 for $10.

BIVIANO!

On the STALKER: Clear Sky steam page:
Oops, this is embarrassing. Due to high demand we have temporarily run out of unique keys for this title. You may, by all means, purchase at the awesome sale price but may not be able to play until we receive more unique product keys. It shouldn't take too long, we have sent armed guards to the publisher's house to get them out of bed, drive them to their secret lair and produce more keys.

Blizzard

Banned
tabsina said:

For example, if you were to buy a Bethesda game, would you have access to the data folder? I figure the files in the "common" folder of steam are the same files as what would normally be in program files - am I right to assume that?
Usually yes, in my limited experience (and some mods might go in your documents folder or something). SOME games that depend on mods to the exe itself or something might not work though, so you might want to ask before getting one.

Oops, this is embarrassing. Due to high demand we have temporarily run out of unique keys for this title. You may, by all means, purchase at the awesome sale price but may not be able to play until we receive more unique product keys. It shouldn't take too long, we have sent armed guards to the publisher's house to get them out of bed, drive them to their secret lair and produce more keys.
:lol :lol :lol

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
tabsina said:

The way I understand it, so long as the mod does not require a modified .exe, it should work. You have access to all the same files as any other type of install.

Blizzard said:
Usually yes, in my limited experience (and some mods might go in your documents folder or something). SOME games that depend on mods to the exe itself or something might not work though, so you might want to ask before getting one.

If you are talking about Bethesda games, then Fallout 3 works with all mods. The steam version of Oblivion used to be incompatible with the script extender, but I believe that issue has been fixed. I'm not sure about Morrowind.

Firestorm said:
xD Steam should put up a bit SOLD OUT sign on it.
Digital sales limited quantities after all!
Man I have never seen Valve being such a kidder. First with the wizard hat on the rpg page and now this. Pretty awesome.

Sloegr

My maybe list so far is:

Outrun 2006
Oddworld Pack
Chaos Theory
Freedom Force Pack
Aquaria
King's Bounty: Gold

plus Psychonauts and Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines if they are part of a daily sale.

Any GAF wisdom on these?

senahorse

I can't for the life of me get surround sound to work for STALKER on Windows 7 64bit. When panning in game the sounds stay in the front speakers. At the title screen however the music is coming through all speakers, I have tried other games with no problem. If it helps, I am using the onboard realtek sound card (my X-FI died a few days ago...).

Logs as follows:

SOUND: OpenAL: enumerate devices...
SOUND: OpenAL: EnumerationExtension Present
devices DirectSound3D
SOUND: OpenAL: system default SndDevice name is DirectSound3D
SOUND: OpenAL: All available devices:
1. DirectSound, Spec Version 1.0
2. DirectSound, Spec Version 1.0
3. MMSYSTEM, Spec Version 1.0
SOUND: OpenAL: SelectBestDevice is DirectSound -1.-1
SOUND: OpenAL: Required device: DirectSound. Created device: DirectSound.
* sound: EAX 2.0 extension: present
* sound: EAX 2.0 deferred: present
* sound : cache: 32773 kb, 3805 lines, 8820 bpl

I have loaded the complete 2009 mod and I have also tried using an altenate OpenAL32.dll file that fixed issues in the vanilla game, but didn't work for me.

Any ideas?

edit: fixed

By adding the -dsound flag to the shortcut target it forces it to use direct sound rather than openal :D

Blueblur1

I started the year with 6 Steam games (H2, Deathmatch, Lost Coast, Episodes, TF2, and Portal) and now I'm at 21. Oh Steam, I love your deals. :D

Ourobolus

Banned
Basileus777 said:
If you are talking about Bethesda games, then Fallout 3 works with all mods. The steam version of Oblivion used to be incompatible with the script extender, but I believe that issue has been fixed. I'm not sure about Morrowind.
I know the Morrowind Graphics Extender works with it, and I've used a couple others too.

hamchan

jaundicejuice said:
As tempting as it is to go absolutely gongshow and buy up game after game after game I'm just going to download the demo for Torchlight and possibly buy that. I already have a sizable backlog of unplayed console and handheld games, due largely in part to Team Fortress 2. Don't need to compound that problem.

The way I see it is I might as well buy all these games while they're cheap now, while I have money now. Then one day when I'm eventually poor at least i'll have a huge backlog to tide me over.

Monroeski said:
http://i49.tinypic.com/23kyrnr.jpg[img]
Thoughts? So far, the only actual sure buys on that list are The Witcher and The Void, though the Telltale pack is pretty damn close to 100%.[/QUOTE]

I like them all. Buy them all!

Chris R

Picked up Defense Grid. I'm a sucker for TD games, and the demo was pretty damn fun. I'd have no problem dropping 2$ for an iPod Touch TD game, so I figured why the hell not :lol

Fallout 3 GOTY sub 25$ and UT3:Black for under 10$ and I'd be done shopping for sure...

Daigoro

LovingSteam said:
Man I have never seen Valve being such a kidder. First with the wizard hat on the rpg page and now this. Pretty awesome.

im pretty sure i actually remember this happening before.

ElJuice said:
My maybe list so far is:

Outrun 2006
Oddworld Pack
Chaos Theory
Freedom Force Pack
Aquaria

plus Psychonauts and Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines if they are part of a daily sale.

Any GAF wisdom on these?

if youre into arcade racers at all Outrun is a must buy.

morningbus

You know, I just realized that I'm going up to Canada in a couple days; is there anything I should concern myself with as far as getting in on the daily deals goes? I assume I'd be able to use my laptop to buy games, have them added to my account, and not worry about having to mess with a different Steam storefront, right?

I don't have to set up a VPN, proxy, or anything silly just for going into Canada, right?

Owzers

I reallllly want to get Stalker but my brain tells me it might not run well on my laptop AND i don't want to play it with a mouse/keyboard and controller support for the game isn't there and from the sounds of things wouldn't work THAT well ( though i'd still try it if it were offered), so i must resist even at a sooooooo cheap $2. Yarg.

So far i definitely want Rome: Total War, Time Gentleman Please! pack, and possibly Defense Grid, all 3 seem to be good choices for my hating to travel in 3D space with wasd keyboard controls. Just...can't stand it.

Ikopi

morningbus said:
You know, I just realized that I'm going up to Canada in a couple days; is there anything I should concern myself with as far as getting in on the daily deals goes? I assume I'd be able to use my laptop to buy games, have them added to my account, and not worry about having to mess with a different Steam storefront, right?

I don't have to set up a VPN, proxy, or anything silly just for going into Canada, right?

Bit worried here, because I'm going abroad for a few days starting tomorrow, and in the past I haven't been able to buy Steam games because I was in a foreign country. Hope this won't happen this weekend.

morningbus

Ikopi said:
Bit worried here, because I'm going abroad for a few days starting tomorrow, and in the past I haven't been able to buy Steam games because I was in a foreign country. Hope this won't happen this weekend.

How far are you going? A person earlier in the thread went from the UK to France and was stuck with the French store. Thankfully they had a friend in the UK that was able to set up a VPN for him and he could tunnel through to his UK computer to buy his games.

I'm pretty confident that in my situation (U.S. to Canada), it shouldn't matter. However, if you're going someplace significantly (either politically or geographically) farther away, I'd consider trying to find a solution.

morningbus said:

I'm in Canada and our steam prices are in USD so I'm pretty sure you will be okay here. Storefront and deals are the same.

Javaman

Daigoro said:
im pretty sure i actually remember this happening before.

if youre into arcade racers at all Outrun is a must buy.

Yeah, it happened last year with an Unreal Tournament key, minus the humor though.

Hanzou

morningbus said:

I am live in Canada and have never had a problem with anything on steam. As far as I can tell. Canada and the US share 100% the same things on the store.

Ikopi

morningbus said:
How far are you going? A person earlier in the thread went from the UK to France and was stuck with the French store. Thankfully they had a friend in the UK that was able to set up a VPN for him and he could tunnel through to his UK computer to buy his games.

I'm pretty confident that in my situation (U.S. to Canada), it shouldn't matter. However, if you're going someplace significantly (either politically or geographically) farther away, I'd consider trying to find a solution.

Not far, Belgium to the Netherlands. Same store, same prices, but it wouldn't let me buy anything ("country you're buying from doesn't match the country you say you live in"), so it must be an anti-fraud mechanism. Hope it all works out.

tabsina said:

Yeah, you do have access. With Morrowind there was a minor issue with the game overwriting the mods because the core files had a 'last updated' date of when they were added on Steam, but there's a simple workaround to change that so that mods will work.

tabsina

Blizzard said:
morningbus said:
The way I understand it, so long as the mod does not require a modified .exe, it should work. You have access to all the same files as any other type of install.
Ourobolus said:
I know the Morrowind Graphics Extender works with it, and I've used a couple others too.
KuwabaraTheMan said:
Yeah, you do have access. With Morrowind there was a minor issue with the game overwriting the mods because the core files had a 'last updated' date of when they were added on Steam, but there's a simple workaround to change that so that mods will work.

thanks so much for all that info guys, helped a lot!

Basileus777 said:

That's good to hear regarding Obliviion, though a quick question about fallout 3 - I'm assuming by 'all mods' working, that also includes the script extender in fallout 3?

cory

Banned
Set up Sands of Time for widescreen(though the life bar gets cut off) and 360 controller. Pretty nice game, with some annoying quirks. Hopefully Beyond Good & Evil can be set up the same way.

Oreoleo

ElJuice said:
My maybe list so far is:

Outrun 2006
Oddworld Pack
Chaos Theory
Freedom Force Pack
Aquaria

Any GAF wisdom on these?

Outrun is really great. Reminds me of playing San Francisco Rush on the 64 as a kid, minus the huge jumps and explosions :D It's really fun, and the unlocking system gives you incentive to keep playing.

Do the SQ and KQ collections run alright? I heard some things about them not running as well as desired.

I would also recommend a comparison sheet of the deals that both Steam and GOG are holding on games they both have in order to help people size up where they should purchase a given game/collection.

vocab

cartman414 said:
Do the SQ and KQ collections run alright? I heard some things about them not running as well as desired.

I would also recommend a comparison sheet of the deals that both Steam and GOG are holding on games they both have in order to help people size up where they should purchase a given game/collection.

They run on older versions of dosbox from what I've read. It can easily be updated and run better than they currently do. I'm still debating whether or not I should buy them.

Brashnir

So far:

Telltale Complete
Shadowgrounds Pack
Audiosurf

Plus I received as gifts:
STALKER Clear Sky
Empire:Total War

Got my eye on a few more things, but am waiting to see how the daily deals work out.

speculawyer said:
They are ranked by revenue? Ah. Well, those games up on the charted that go for $2 to $2.50 must be doing massive sales!

Yep, which when you consider something like Stalker is just a couple of places behind MW2, makes it pretty damn impressive. Basically yesterday, Stalker outsold MW2 by something like 25:1, not bad for a title that's nearly 3 years old! :lol

I daren't even contemplate the percentage by which its sales must have risen in terms of number of units shipped.

dLMN8R

For people buying STALKER, two things:

1) You need to crouch and aim for the head, especially with the starting pistol. Once you do that, those first battles are actually quite easy

2) Loot bodies and weapons even if they're repeats of what you already have. Right-click on them and unload them to get their ammo, then drop the weapon. It'll help you when ammo is scarse for rifles and SMGs.

droopy

Monroeski said:
cart

Should get Machinarium from the developers' site if anywhere http://machinarium.net/demo/

Comes with another (admittedly less awesome) game and the soundtracks for both for the same price.

tabsina said:
thanks so much for all that info guys, helped a lot!

That's good to hear regarding Obliviion, though a quick question about fallout 3 - I'm assuming by 'all mods' working, that also includes the script extender in fallout 3?

The script extender works for Fallout 3. Valve encrypted the launcher .exe and not the game .exe for Fallout, so there were never any issues.

Chris R

Speaking of Outrun, any idea if it supports a Driving Force GT (basic Logitech wheel)? Already reinstalling GRID to use with my new wheel, might as well grab a few more driving games

rhfb said:
Speaking of Outrun, any idea if it supports a Driving Force GT (basic Logitech wheel)? Already reinstalling GRID to use with my new wheel, might as well grab a few more driving games

It should yes, doesn't support forcefeedback though. :(

That's the one thing it lacks.

I bought stalker and then I watched the GT review of it and from the review it sounds as if the game mission system is setup similar to wow/borderlands but with very little guidance, I know I will not stick with this game very long if I have to wander around for hours looking for a contact to turn a mission in etc.. So what I'm wondering is if anyone knows if there is some kind of mod to help with telling you where you need to go kinda like questhelper on WoW

Grayman

The Driving Force Pro works in Outrun but the controls in menus are strange because they use keyboard icons. I ended up having to use gear and and down to navigate menus, I never found the equivalent of F1 or Tab on the wheel. The pedals were recognized as a single axis. I had the wheel in 180 degree mode at the driver level so I am not sure how it does on that front.

No FF so the wheel is very limp in the middle zone.

I would say that plug, play, options menu, gets the game playable but not perfect.

Top Bottom