• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2009 Begins! (Dec 22nd - Jan 3rd)

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
what controller you guys all using for these games (apart from FPS)?

Plywood said:
Ah, sounds good, as I'm gonna be installing a 2.8ghz dual core soon. Thanks.

If you're buying a new CPU a slightly lower clocked quad is the way to go these days. Most games new releases are now optimised for 3+ cores. GTA4 loves extra cores.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
does anyone know why my PC doesn't recognise the triggers on my 360 controller (via wireless receiver) in certain older games? everything else works fine, it's just those buttons. I take it it's a common 'issue'. Is there any work-around?

Brashnir

Rez said:
does anyone know why my PC doesn't recognise the triggers on my 360 controller (via wireless receiver) in certain older games? everything else works fine, it's just those buttons. I take it it's a common 'issue'. Is there any work-around?

The triggers on the 360 controller register as a shared Axis rather than buttons.

I haven't messed with it in a while, but I seem to recall using Xpadder to map them to keys works if you want to use them as buttons. (they won't be analog at that point though)

kuYuri

Rez said:

XP or Vista? What games are you using it on?

I just picked up the STALKER Chernobyl thing but I have no idea which version that is. It was 1.99 so I had to pick it up based on some of the praise. Never played any of the games...is that a good one? I see that they have Clear Sky for 5. Should I pick that up too? Is there one that's just called STALKER? I dont see it.

Edit: Wait...that's the original one? :lol I hate subtitles. So Clear Sky is the expansion/sequel (prequel) thing right? Guess if I enjoy it at all and my computer can run it then I'll pick up that one.

senahorse

Rez said:

I found this out with Chaos Theory just before, it must be defaulting to a 'standard' pad set up because when I selected use default settings it said it didn't recognize the controller, but it still works fine. In the case of CT, rather than the triggers it has assigned the firing to a bumper, which is OK in this case as the game isn't about shooting everything.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Well at least by purchasing Indigo Prophecy for $3 I save $60 on Heavy Rain. This game is a god damned mess, wow.

Scipius

TheLegendary said:
I just picked up the STALKER Chernobyl thing but I have no idea which version that is. It was 1.99 so I had to pick it up based on some of the praise. Never played any of the games...is that a good one? I see that they have Clear Sky for 5. Should I pick that up too? Is there one that's just called STALKER? I dont see it.

Edit: Wait...that's the original one? :lol I hate subtitles. So Clear Sky is the expansion/sequel (prequel) thing right?

The original is STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl. The first expansion is the prologue Clear Sky. The second expansion and epilogue will be Call of Pripyat.

Both games are worth it, but play SoC first to see if you like the style. You have until January 3 anyway.

Smash88

Banned
:lol

Well I played a bit of STALKER, and well....the head bobbing is kinda pissing me off. :lol

I have never had a problem with any type of bobbing in games before, but this just takes the cake. My eyes are having a hard time adjusting, every time he bobs his head.

No sickness, just the problem of focusing without my vision blurring, weird effect.

*googles no head-bobbing stalker* :lol

TheExodu5

Banned
Smash88 said:

Well I played a bit of STALKER, and well....the head bobbing is kinda pissing me off. :lol

The head bobbing is an issue with widescreen resolutions. You can fix it by download a no headbobbing mod.

Either way, I recommend you install the 2009 Complete mod. It fixes the headbobbing for one, and makes the game look incredible.

Also, there's a shadow glitch with the Steam version when you install 2009 Complete mod. There's an easy .ini fix for this, though I can't remember what it is. You may notice the glitch as you'll have super distorted shadows on the edges of your screen (if using a widescreen monitor).

Smash88

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
The head bobbing is an issue with widescreen resolutions. You can fix it by download a no headbobbing mod.

Either way, I recommend you install the 2009 Complete mod. It fixes the headbobbing for one, and makes the game look incredible.

The question is will there be no head bobbing in multiplayer.

Rez said:
It's a documented "feature" of the MS drivers. The triggers work as an analog Z-axis so older games that expect digital buttons won't recognize them.

I use these unofficial drivers instead which allow you to completely customize what buttons do what, and set the triggers as buttons or analog as you want. Unfourtunately, the readme is in Japanese but Babelfish gives an OK approximation. Also, I think Vista and Win7 make using unsigned drivers a hassle, but it's easy on XP.

TheExodu5

Banned
Smash88 said:
The question is will there be no head bobbing in multiplayer.

While the multiplayer is actually pretty decent, the netcode is absolute garbage, so I'd stay away unless you're lanning with some buddies.

Daigoro

Smash88 said:

I have never had a problem with any type of bobbing in games before, but this just takes the cake. My eyes are having a hard time adjusting, every time he bobs his head.

No sickness, just the problem of focusing without my vision blurring, weird effect.

Daigoro

SuicideUZI said:
I bought stalker and then I watched the GT review of it and from the review it sounds as if the game mission system is setup similar to wow/borderlands but with very little guidance, I know I will not stick with this game very long if I have to wander around for hours looking for a contact to turn a mission in etc.. So what I'm wondering is if anyone knows if there is some kind of mod to help with telling you where you need to go kinda like questhelper on WoW

its not difficult. you have a PDA that basically tells you where to go.

dream

Sinatar said:
Well at least by purchasing Indigo Prophecy for $3 I save $60 on Heavy Rain. This game is a god damned mess, wow.

Ahahahah.

I laugh because I (like everyone else who dug the game) loved Indigo Prophecy up until the last quarter of the game. You're in for a treat, sir.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
oh man is oddworld awesome? It used to be awesome as a kid and now oddworld pack is less than 5 euro.

TheExodu5

Banned
Again, I'm throwing a recommendation out for Rogue Trooper and Penumbra Series. Criminally underrated games.

Here's a little teaser shot of mine for Penumbra Black Plague. You know you want it!

p_bp_9.png

Cohsae

catfish said:
oh man is oddworld awesome? It used to be awesome as a kid and now oddworld pack is less than 5 euro.
Yes Oddworld most certainly is awesome.
You can rip out a giant fart, and then possess it, and then use it to explode enemies into bloody chunks. What's not to like?
Man that screenshot reminded me that I still need to play the 2nd and 3rd Penumbra games.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
faceless007 said:
It's a documented "feature" of the MS drivers. The triggers work as an analog Z-axis so older games that expect digital buttons won't recognize them.

I use these unofficial drivers instead which allow you to completely customize what buttons do what, and set the triggers as buttons or analog as you want. Unfourtunately, the readme is in Japanese but Babelfish gives an OK approximation. Also, I think Vista and Win7 make using unsigned drivers a hassle, but it's easy on XP.
x3n05 said:
I found this out with Chaos Theory just before, it must be defaulting to a 'standard' pad set up because when I selected use default settings it said it didn't recognize the controller, but it still works fine. In the case of CT, rather than the triggers it has assigned the firing to a bumper, which is OK in this case as the game isn't about shooting everything.
Strider2K99 said:
XP or Vista? What games are you using it on?
I'm on XP at the moment. And funnily enough, it was Chaos Theory. :lol

Thanks for the suggestion faceless, I've try that.

senahorse

catfish said:

I love the oddworld games but I would suggest holding off for the oddbox. You can't change the resolutions, so unless you have a CRT, either expect the game to look like total shit, or play in a very small window.

Rez said:

Nobody's does. You can get around it by installing the XBCD drivers (not sure if it works on the wireless pad) but you may lose plug and play ability from newer games.

Actually, the triggers do work but they're scene as one continuous axis. So they'll work in somethink like Outrun that accomodates for that, but in most games that just want a button press, they won't.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
x3n05 said:
I love the oddworld games but I would suggest holding off for the oddbox. You can't change the resolutions, so unless you have a CRT, either expect the game to look like total shit, or play in a very small window.

sooo.... on a 2048x1152 screen......

yeah, I think I might let it live on with awesome status from my memory.

hamchan

TheExodu5 said:
Again, I'm throwing a recommendation out for Rogue Trooper and Penumbra Series. Criminally underrated games.

Here's a little teaser shot of mine for Penumbra Black Plague. You know you want it!

Looks interesting. Are both black plague and overture worth playing?
Also is there a combat system?

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
hamchan said:
Looks interesting. Are both black plague and overture worth playing?
Also is there a combat system?

I'd say they both are. Overture has a "combat system" but there is basically no combat in either game. Play Overture first then Black Plague to not only get the proper story, but to also see how much the developer improved from one game to the next.

GC|Simon said:
That screen looks awesome. I'm highly interested. Can you give us a few more insights? Is there much battle? How is the battle system?

Ya little to no combat, I would say. The games are very much about being trapped, confused, scared and alone in a mine. The gameplay is basically you trying to navigate this area using nothing but physics heavy,"real world" puzzles. Both games are thoroughly creepy, as well.

Swaain

I think I might finally cave in and buy Eve online - it's on sale again - if only to see what it's all about. I don't know if it's the right game for me, but it does look gorgeous.

The thing is, with all the other stuff that's on sale, I will probably not get around to playing it anytime soon. So here's my question : will my first month of gametime that is included in the purchase price start running right away (when I buy the game on steam) or only once I install it and log in to play? I hope (and expect) it to be the latter, but can anyone confirm this? Thanks!

TheExodu5

Banned
GC|Simon said:
That screen looks awesome. I'm highly interested. Can you give us a few more insights? Is there much battle? How is the battle system?

It's adventure/survival-horror/suspense. While there's a bit of bad combat in the first game, the second has no combat. The games absolutely reek of atmosphere, especially Black Plague.

While the first is a good game, Black Plague really shines. I highly recommend playing in order to get the full sense of it. Black Plague is one of the finest PC games I have ever played, and is unique enough to stand apart.

GC|Simon

TheExodu5 said:
It's adventure/survival-horror/suspense. While there's a bit of bad combat in the first game, the second has no combat. The games absolutely reek of atmosphere, especially Black Plague.

While the first is a good game, Black Plague really shines. I highly recommend playing in order to get the full sense of it. Black Plague is one of the finest PC games I have ever played, and is unique enough to stand apart.

Thanks. Should I buy only the second one or do I need the first one, too?

TheExodu5

Banned
GC|Simon said:

I recommend playing the first one before Black Plague for full effect. They're both short games (around 3-4 hours a piece), and well, Overture would only cost you $2.50 more anyways, so I don't see why you wouldn't get it.

Before anyone cries about the games being too short, I'd say the length really fits the games perfectly. I always hate it when developers bloat their games for no good reason.

GC|Simon

TheExodu5 said:
I recommend playing the first one before Black Plague for full effect. They're both short games (around 3-4 hours a piece), and well, Overture would only cost you $2.50 more anyways, so I don't see why you wouldn't get it.

Before anyone cries about the games being too short, I'd say the length really fits the games perfectly. I always hate it when developers bloat their games for no good reason.

Bought. The Holiday Sale fucks my RL :/

Daigoro

im pretty tempted to buy Penumbra i must say.

i have bought a grand total of ZILCH so far in this sale. but Penumbra and STALKER CS are in my cart.

waiting on RE5 and L4D2 at $30. please accommodate STEAM SALE.

GC|Simon said:

it would be the same price to buy both.

hamchan

Black Plague is $7.50 while both are $10 so you might as well get both.

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll add it to my steam cart.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
TheExodu5 said:

I'm kind of thankful that they were short. My nerves were being put on edge enough with those games D:

Brashnir

TheExodu5 said:

I agree with this sentiment completely

still not getting those games because I loathe the horror genre, but I hate when a game's length feels like it's constantly padded.

senahorse

TheExodu5 said:

Thanks, for making me spend more money. :lol

So I should play Black Plague, Requiem and then Overture?

Smash88 said:

Yeah just 5 minutes in and I had to stop playing because I got a massive headache and felt sick. My head is pretty sensitive to things like this. Will download the mod tomorrow before I go any further.

ezekial45

Banned
Mr. B said:
Where have you been all my life, Indigo Prophecy!?

I hear that brotha.

Gaf don't fail me now! I need a good mystery game, shout some out and give me a direction to go into! So far I've gotten Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory, Double Agent, and Indigo Prophecy. Im looking for some good mystery games, some suspecne, maybe even some horror! I saw the Black Plague game and I am considering it! :D The things you do to me, Steam.

Minsc

Gold Member
I don't even notice the head bobbing :lol

Maybe because I have the STALKER Complete mod installed? Now I'm going to be looking for it next time I play and it will hopefully not drive me crazy if I notice it.

Just under 6 hours before the super deals on the main page are switched!

I can vouch for Defense Grid with everyone else now, the game is awesome! If you don't have it it will be money well spent.

MNC

TheExodu5 said:

p_bp_9.png
Oh Penumbra is great. The puzzles are sometimes a bit farfetched and have me searching all about :(

Anybody know how many days the 24 hour deals will be running? Tomorrow is Christmas so I'm wondering if todays deals will be the last deals or if maybe there will be another set tomorrow at noon eastern.

Brashnir

I <3 Memes said:
Anybody know how many days the 24 hour deals will be running? Tomorrow is Christmas so I'm wondering if todays deals will be the last deals or if maybe there will be another set tomorrow at noon eastern.

I'm pretty sure they'll be running all the way through Jan 3.

Top Bottom