• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2009 Begins! (Dec 22nd - Jan 3rd)

TheExodu5

Banned
Minsc said:
I don't even notice the head bobbing :lol

Maybe because I have the STALKER Complete mod installed? Now I'm going to be looking for it next time I play and it will hopefully not drive me crazy if I notice it.

Yep. It fixes it, IIRC.

x3n05 said:
Thanks, for making me spend more money. :lol

So I should play Black Plague, Requiem and then Overture?

Overture then Black Plague. Requiem is just puzzles, I believe.

Baha

Just chiming in another recommendation for the Penumbra Collection. I picked this up back when it first hit steam at a ridiculous price ($5 I think) and I wasn't disappointed. One of the best horror adventure games I've ever played, dripping with so much atmosphere & tension.

I highly recommend both games to anybody on the fence on this series, while Black Plague (the sequel) is arguably the best in the series, the 1st game does an excellent job of setting up the story and drawing you into the lore. Still an excellent bargain at $10.

DirtRiver

I can't believe I just bought Grand Theft Auto IV... I didn't wanted to but something made me buy it :'(

From now on I will buy only games below 5 euros, I getting myself ruined because of this... I hope the game delivers :lol

Killer

Banned
If i bought the games right now in the US, and i want to download it later in another country( let's say France or China). Am i able to do that in the other country? cause i have no idea how steam works cross countries so any help would be appreciated :).

Smash88

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
The head bobbing is an issue with widescreen resolutions. You can fix it by download a no headbobbing mod.

Either way, I recommend you install the 2009 Complete mod. It fixes the headbobbing for one, and makes the game look incredible.

Also, there's a shadow glitch with the Steam version when you install 2009 Complete mod. There's an easy .ini fix for this, though I can't remember what it is. You may notice the glitch as you'll have super distorted shadows on the edges of your screen (if using a widescreen monitor).

I think this is it.

- if you experience "shadow glitch", where shadow artifacts are following you around, go to "user.ltx" and make changes to these lines:

r2_sun_near 20.

r2_sun_near_border 0.8

Posting this for others, in case they need it.

Baha

Smash88 said:
I think this is it.

Posting this for others, in case they need it.

How will the Complete 2009 Mod fare on my computer?

AMD 64 6000+ (3.1GHz)
EVGA 9800GT (1GB I believe)
4 GB RAM
Windows 7

I probably won't be able to run it on high but will I be able to run it on medium at 1600x1200 with good fps?

senahorse

Killer said:
If i bought the games right now in the US, and i want to download it later in another country( let's say France or China). Am i able to do that in the other country? cause i have no idea how steam works cross countries so any help would be appreciated :).

Yep that's fine, first Steam will try to download the content from your preferred region, if that fails it will try elsewhere until it finds a server.

Smash88

Banned
Baha said:
How will the Complete 2009 Mod fare on my computer?

AMD 64 6000+ (3.1GHz)
EVGA 9800GT (1GB I believe)
4 GB RAM
Windows 7

I probably won't be able to run it on high but will I be able to run it on medium at 1600x1200 with good fps?

I have a:

Q6600
XFX 8800GT
4GB RAM
Windows 7 - 64-bit

I'm about to try it. I maxed it all out, so we'll see. :lol

Also, apparently I can't play online with this mod? Is this the case, or is the only server which I can join (version 1.005) just having problems?

Minsc

Gold Member
Smash88 said:
I have a:

Q6600
XFX 8800GT
4GB RAM
Windows 7 - 64-bit

I'm about to try it. I maxed it all out, so we'll see. :lol

Also, apparently I can't play online with this mod? Is this the case, or is the only server which I can join (version 1.005) just having problems?

You should be running version 1.006, right? That's the newest patched version.

GTA IV and Stalker get.

I already own both, but I'm going to Goozex Stalker and GTA IV for that price, couldn't resist.

Tempted to see what else is to come in 4.5 hours.

Version 1.006 of S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadows of Chernobyl was more of a beta patch if I remember correctly, so they never released it on Steam. They were suppose to release a new patch (1.007), but I guess that never occurred.

Kritz

Banned
Baha said:
Just chiming in another recommendation for the Penumbra Collection. I picked this up back when it first hit steam at a ridiculous price ($5 I think) and I wasn't disappointed. One of the best horror adventure games I've ever played, dripping with so much atmosphere & tension.

I highly recommend both games to anybody on the fence on this series, while Black Plague (the sequel) is arguably the best in the series, the 1st game does an excellent job of setting up the story and drawing you into the lore. Still an excellent bargain at $10.

Bought the pack on this post alone. I am so shit with money. :(

confused

Banned
So, what are my chances with GTA 4 ob these specs :

Amd Athlon 64 X2 6000+ @ 3.2GHz
Nvidia Gt220 512MB DDR2
4 GB DDR2 800Mhz
Vista 64bit

Better than the 360 version ?

drkOne

So… was wondering if there's any RPG gem I'm missing…
I'm looking more into stuff like Spellforce, Sacred, Dawn of Magic, they seem to have some low Metacritic scores, but I'd like some GAF opinion on them.
I have most stuff like Fallout Pack, Jade Empire, Titan Quest, Torchlight, Vampire: The Masquerade, but was wondering about the older/less known ones.

mandiller

Haha, I just took a look at Stalker Clear Sky's page on Steam and it says this:

Oops, this is embarrassing. Due to high demand we have temporarily run out of unique keys for this title. You may, by all means, purchase at the awesome sale price but may not be able to play until we receive more unique product keys. It shouldn't take too long, we have sent armed guards to the publisher's house to get them out of bed, drive them to their secret lair and produce more keys.

You've gotta to love Valve. 'We ran out of digital copies'.

Check it out: http://store.steampowered.com/app/20510/

edbrat

so I bought torchlight last night purely because of gaf, without which I would not have heard of it let alone the gushing praise, excitement etc etc. Also I heard from gaf that it was like diablo, something i've never played and been curious about for ages. And i also heard from gaf that it was half price at the steam sale, so I checked it out. I'm happy with the info I got from gaf but perhaps someone should have mentioned that THIS IS MORE ADDICTIVE THAN SMOKING CRACK!! dear god what have you done to me.

now i'm off to shit up the torchlight thread with beginner questions, merry xmas you bastards :)

Brannon

I played STALKER sans Complete Patch months ago and it was alright, but I could never finish it because of the crashes and whatnot.

But now with the patch it's like a brand new game. The looks, the sounds, the feel of the game is just so much better in every way. Everyone should experience this game.

With that said, how do I buy multiple copies of the game to give away for later?

EDIT: Never mind, just did it the basic way.

Killer

Banned
x3n05 said:
Yep that's fine, first Steam will try to download the content from your preferred region, if that fails it will try elsewhere until it finds a server.

Thanks a lot. but is there any regional lock on some games?or steam wouldn't let me to download because i'm in PAL territory?

Durante

Is there any way to get AA in Defense Grid with nHancer? I played around a bit but I'm too lazy to try all the compatibility settings.

drkOne said:
I'm looking more into stuff like Spellforce, Sacred, Dawn of Magic, they seem to have some low Metacritic scores, but I'd like some GAF opinion on them.
Sacred is awesome.

Valtor

Banned
drkOne said:
So… was wondering if there's any RPG gem I'm missing…
I have most stuff like Fallout Pack, Jade Empire, Titan Quest, Torchlight, Vampire: The Masquerade, but was wondering about the older/less known ones.

The Witcher? I've not played it, but I feel like it's in the top RPGs to have...

Even though I already own retail box of STALKER, I went ahead and bought Steam version. Consider it convience tax.
With that, I'm now DLing complete 2009 mod as I've never checked it out. Maybe now I'll finally finish STALKER.
Will probably buy Clear Sky as well since it's so cheap ....I mean, it's not THAT bad is it?

After not having working internet for a week, coming back to this in steam is quite awesomesauce, especially when I can go grab a few games which will entertain me for a few hours each at like 74 pence :lol Ducati world championship, for instance.

Every year steam you manage to steal a good chunk of my christmas money.

Valtor

Banned
Do the lucasarts games hold up? I'Ve never played them in the past, so no nostalgia for me...

Here's what I got :

Braid 2.50$
Indigo Prophecy 3.39$
Time, Gentlemen, Please! and Ben there Dan that 2.50$
Defense Grid 2.50$
Luxor 3 0.99$
Puzzle Indie Pack 2.50$
Commandos Double Pack 4.99$

for 19.83$!! Damn thats a lot of game.

epmode

Valtor said:
Do the lucasarts games hold up? I'Ve never played them in the past, so no nostalgia for me...
Fate of Atlantis sure as hell does. Aside from Monkey Island, the others on offer are Lucasarts' lesser games. Translation: They're great adventure games even today, just not the best ever.

edit: Oh, were you talking about the other Lucasarts games too? They're not quite as timeless. Jedi Knight/Dark Forces/Republic Commando and KOTOR are mostly still worth playing even if they're more dated.

BTW: WHERE IS TIE FIGHTER WTF

Minsc

Gold Member
epmode said:
Fate of Atlantis sure as hell does. Aside from Monkey Island, the others on offer are Lucasarts' lesser games. Translation: They're great adventure games even today, just not the best ever.

edit: Oh, were you talking about the other Lucasarts games too? They're not quite as timeless. Jedi Knight/Dark Forces/Republic Commando and KOTOR are mostly still worth playing even if they're more dated.

BTW: WHERE IS TIE FIGHTER WTF

If any one game could ever have a modern day make over, let it be that. Imagine Tie Fighter remade for today's hardware, it would be better than the three new movies combined.

Burai

shitonmychest57
God damn.

Just bought nearly £100 worth of stuff, PayPal has debited the money from my card, but Steam still thinks the transaction hasn't happened and the items are still in my basket.

FACK.

Dunlop

confused said:
So, what is everybody hoping for in the coming days ? For me :

Crysis 5 or less
L4D1 10 or less or L4D2 25 or less

I picked up L4D1 for $7 a couple of weeks ago, do they usually put the same game on sale in a small window?

Yasser

epmode said:

the jedi knight games look absolutely horrendous now, like sub-nintendo ds level

epmode

Minsc said:
If any one game could ever have a modern day make over, let it be that. Imagine Tie Fighter remade for today's hardware, it would be better than the three new movies combined.
Agreed. A modern day TIE Fighter is pretty much a dream game for me. So I guess it'll never happen.

I'd even be ecstatic over a high-res widescreen port with no other graphics improvements. plsplspls
Yasser said:
the jedi knight games look absolutely horrendous now, like sub-nintendo ds level
It's true. They're still excellent games. *Licensed* games, even! They're still interesting to play too. They're a lot more vertical than anything released these days.

Top Bottom