• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2009 Begins! (Dec 22nd - Jan 3rd)

Kleevah

Minsc said:
If any one game could ever have a modern day make over, let it be that. Imagine Tie Fighter remade for today's hardware, it would be better than the three new movies combined.
I really wish they don't touch it at all, they would surely butcher it to hell and back... :(

Let those guys over at GOG patch it up for modern OSs and call it a day, thats all I want.

Caoz

Ikopi said:
Bit worried here, because I'm going abroad for a few days starting tomorrow, and in the past I haven't been able to buy Steam games because I was in a foreign country. Hope this won't happen this weekend.

Had this happen before, and all I have to do is change the country on the checkout page for the country I am currently in. So when I am in Mexico, the country for my billing address is Mexico, even if is a US address. Had to do that for this sale actually.

Brashnir

Dunlop said:
I picked up L4D1 for $7 a couple of weeks ago, do they usually put the same game on sale in a small window?
They had Mirror's Edge up as a daily deal during their Black Friday weekend sale, so yeah, I wouldn't be surprised to see some other games again.

Minsc

Gold Member
Kleevah said:
I really wish they don't touch it at all, they would surely butcher it to hell and back... :(

Let those guys over at GOG patch it up for modern OSs and call it a day, thats all I want.

But it's already been re-engined once, and it worked perfectly. Another re-engine with the game left alone wouldn't trouble it, and it really could use modern joystick support, DOSBox isn't always the easiest to get that 3rd axis going.

Edit: Crap. They did screw it up with removing iMuse. But the original release was 320x240, and they ported both X-Wing and TIE Fighter to 640x480 in a different engine for DOS, which still had iMuse. It's just the windows port which used the XvT engine that they ripped out the awesome iMuse and replaced it with looping CD-Audio.

Vorador

Banned
The Eidos pack is insane.

Hitman 2: Silent Assassin, Hitman: Blood Money, Battlestations: Midway, Just Cause, Hitman: Codename 47, Deus Ex: Game of the Year Edition, Deus Ex: Invisible War, Thief: Deadly Shadows, Tomb Raider: Legend, Project: Snowblind, Rogue Trooper, Infernal, Kane and Lynch: Dead Men™, Conflict: Denied Ops, Tomb Raider: Underworld, Shellshock 2: Blood Trails, Battlestations Pacific, Mini Ninjas, Batman: Arkham Asylum, Flora's Fruit Farm

Since of those games i only owned Deus Ex, i caved in.

gregor7777 said:
Yes.

DG:TA is the TD genre refined. Features like fast forward and quick checksave rewind (just hit backspace) are godsends. Nice visuals, and the map layouts are challenging and offer plenty of different ways to come at them. It offers a good challenge with a handful of fun modes.

If I had any gripes with the game, it would be that there hasn't been any new maps released and some might say the tower count is a bit on the low side. What they offer is well thought out, however.

PvZ is not my favorite TD game, despite the love it gets around here. But, it's most certainly different than anything else out there in the genre. You definitely have to try it.
i'm at the part where you get the laser; so far, feels like elemental td 2 with a bit of mazing. not a bad game for people who are new to TDs but i feel like they could've added more. leaderboards are nice but i think they're down due to the amount of people on :lol

PvZ definitely looks like what I was looking for. just waiting to see if it shows up as a daily deal.

Minsc

Gold Member
86vtx said:
i'm at the part where you get the laser; so far, feels like elemental td 2 with a bit of mazing. not a bad game for people who are new to TDs but i feel like they could've added more. leaderboards are nice but i think they're down due to the amount of people on :lol

PvZ definitely looks like what I was looking for. just waiting to see if it shows up as a daily deal.

Isn't that like the 2nd level?

Mrbob

I watched some of those GTA4 mod videos, decided to pick it up. I may not ever make it through the main game, but for 7.50 I'll mess around with some mods.

Burai said:
God damn.

Just bought nearly £100 worth of stuff, PayPal has debited the money from my card, but Steam still thinks the transaction hasn't happened and the items are still in my basket.

FACK.
I had this problem last year with the OB deal, by the time I sent a support ticket and restarted steam it was fixed, for me at least. By the time I got a responce they said they could not see anything wrong at the time.

Sucks though, hope it resolves soon for you.

I'm hoping for Mass Effect. It's already at a low enough price but there was a sale a short while back so I'm hoping it reappears for the winter.

Zzoram

Hmm. Sid Meier's Pirates! worked fine on Vista 64 yesterday, but now when I double click it in my game's list, it says it's launching the game, but then doesn't. Anyone else have this problem?

Wark

I can't wait to see what the next set of games are that will make me throw my money out of the window. :lol

I'm going to be flat broke because of these deals :lol:

Also for those who missed KoToR for $5 last time around, it's back down to $5 again.

Also Jade Empire: SE is down to $10

86vtx said:

I think you should keep playing until you have the full tower list before making any judgements. I think you get the Laser pretty early in the game.

Since we all seem to be purchasing a lot of the same games, many of which are old, broken, etc., I was thinking that maybe we can have a thread that can be used as a resource for these titles.

In the OP we could have links to certain mods, tweaks, and fixes as well as tutorials on how to fix stuff. Many of these games have multiplayer components that are dead at this point so people can set up matches in there and play together.

It's difficult to find certain info within the Official Steam thread and this seems like a better idea than people posting in various threads or making new ones altogether. I know I'm not the only one with an extensive Steam list and having one resource for mods/fixes would be helpful. Brain Stew can deposit his vast knowledge pool into it as well as others. Plus we can set up some matches in these old ass games. :D

Official Steam Backlog Thread of .ini hacks, mods, and moral support! Come on let's do it

JoeBoy101

Zzoram said:
Hmm. Sid Meier's Pirates! worked fine on Vista 64 yesterday, but now when I double click it in my game's list, it says it's launching the game, but then doesn't. Anyone else have this problem?

Check the forum page for it. I had the problem flatout with the game. Had to replace, IIRC, the files 'mpvcr711.dll' and 'mpvct711.dll', and then it would work. I don't think I have the file names perfect, but the steam forum page for it has the file names in there. They recommend downloading the Audiosurf demo, grabbing the files from there and pasting them in.

Shoddy support, but works.

So far, so good.

Bought:

Painkiller: Black - $4.99
LucasArts Adventure Pack - $2.49
Defense Grid, gifted for my brother - $2.49

Looking out for a big discount on Serious Sam HD and King's Bounty: Armored Princess.

graywolf323

gregor7777 said:
Looking out for a big discount on Serious Sam HD and King's Bounty: Armored Princess.

if you don't already have the first game the King's Bounty Gold Edition is an amazing deal (only three bucks or so more than Armored Princess and you get both games)

Valtor

Banned
graywolf323 said:
if you don't already have the first game the King's Bounty Gold Edition is an amazing deal (only three bucks or so more than Armored Princess and you get both games)

Well, I am looking for a discount on King's Bounty Gold Edition :p

graywolf323 said:

Yeah, I already have the first game from GamersGate. Otherwise, I'd jump on the combo.

Mrbob

graywolf323 said:

Yeah me too! King's Bounty Gold and Civ 4 complete I'm holding out for at the moment.

I finally bought Audiosurf after almost purchasing it about a dozen times since it has been out.

Ehhh...I guess I don't get it. It's cool to be able to use your own music, I guess, but the gameplay is just really boring. I tried most of the different 'vehicles' and couldn't really find one that made things interesting. The relation between the music and the gameplay seems tenuous, other than the tempo speeding things up.

Does it get better? Is there some other mode that I am missing?

Oh well, it was only $2.50...

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
Yasser said:
i really want to see the gta classics pack reduced even further and maybe l4d2

I think i got L4D for about the same price last steam sale so i wouldn't expect too much.

Question : Is Civ 4 playable without any expansions? or do i need them for a good feel of the game?

Of course its playable. Like Starcraft/Warcraft 3 are playable without the expansions. But why wouldn't you want the expansions?

I keep thinking about buying gta4 for £5 but then I read on the steam page and wiki that you need 16-18gig space! yeah not much if you have a big HDD but my budget pc rig only has sub 200gig overall, so with 1/3 of that spare and my own personal work to get done 18gig is too much :/

quick question, are all the games on sale until january 3rd except for the specific daily "sick" deals. I say this because I want to get torchlight and Fallout 3 but i wont have money until after christmas :lol

Valtor

Banned
zombieshavebrains said:
Of course its playable. Like Starcraft/Warcraft 3 are playable without the expansions. But why wouldn't you want the expansions?

I got it at the "direct2drive turns 5" sale for 5 bucks, but I'm building my new PC just now. I guess I'll try it without and if I fall in love I'll get the expansions.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
Valtor said:
I got it at the "direct2drive turns 5" sale for 5 bucks, but I'm building my new PC just now. I guess I'll try it without and if I fall in love I'll get the expansions.

If you've ever been into any kind of turn based strategy games i think you'll enjoy it. Can't count how many hours of sleep i've lost on that damn game. And when you get a friend to play with you it gets even more fun.

arts&crafts said:
quick question, are all the games on sale until january 3rd except for the specific daily "sick" deals. I say this because I want to get torchlight and Fallout 3 but i wont have money until after christmas :lol

That's the general understanding but there aren't any guarantees.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Zomg 15 mins till the new steam sale....

I just woke up cause I have the day off and this is what got me out of bed!

Asparagus

So many awesome deals, I want to buy so much D:

Restricted myself to £20 though, I'm sure there's still more to come.

sm53bs.png

gregor7777 said:
So far, so good.

Bought:

Painkiller: Black - $4.99
LucasArts Adventure Pack - $2.49
Defense Grid, gifted for my brother - $2.49

Painkiller is some seriously good shit, just picked it up for the first time. For £3/$5 its a no brainer imo.

Top Bottom