• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2009 Begins! (Dec 22nd - Jan 3rd)

GHG

Gold Member
Big meh to todays deals.

Right, I'm going to download either Far Cry 2 or Mirrors Edge from steam now. Which one should I get considering I've just upgraded my graphics card so want to showcase a bit?

Blizzard

Banned
Yay, a day of expensive deals, including L4D2 at the price it was on preorder sale for for like a month or two! :lol Guess I'll try to check back tomorrow.

I think that ID pack was on sale for only $10 more yesterday, so it's not a huge discount.

*edit*
Visualante said:
Got to agree with the juniors. Another round of suck.
If you think Mirror's Edge for $5 and STALKER for $2 sucked, then I don't think anyone can help you. :lol

syllogism

graywolf323 said:
anyone who doesn't own the iD Super Pack and calls today's deals underwhelming is a fool
Anyone who plays PC games, likes shooters and doesn't have 95% of the ID games already is a fool

Not to directly question anyone's taste in games....

...but if you even mildly like FPSs and don't already own it, how can you not be interested in SS:HD? :lol

tjohn86

gregor7777 said:

...but if you even mildly like FPSs and don't already own it, how can you not be interested in SS:HD? :lol

I heard coop is broken... that kind of kills it for me

Valtor

Banned
GHG said:
Big meh to todays deals.

Right, I'm going to download either Far Cry 2 or Mirrors Edge from steam now. Which one should I get considering I've just upgraded my graphics card so want to showcase a bit?

I'd say Far Cry 2 is the visually more impressive game.

Blizzard

Banned
syllogism said:
Anyone who plays PC games, likes shooters and doesn't have 95% of the ID games already is a fool
Or else, like me, they don't like scary games (thus all the DOOM games are out), don't care for the older graphics of the older Quake etc. games (thus a bunch more games are out), and figure that for Wolfenstein stuff, the free multiplayer of ET:RTCW is good enough, along with TF2 (thus removing most of the stuff that remains). :p

I dunno about Commander Keen. If it was amazing I might consider it for $5, but that's not even a sale price.

Also I thought Evilore and/or someone else was already posting in this thread about how horrible Serious Sam HD performance was, but I might be mistaken.

gregor7777 said:

Cheesy, dated. It's a HD release for people who have nostalgia.

Minsc

Gold Member
Serious Sam HD, $10, my wish has been granted!

I was eying that iD pack before, but now it's no question! That makes 2 so far.

If someone can convince me on LFD2, it might end up making 3, but I'm not normally in to multiplayer stuff, I prefer game to have some sort of structure that is beatable.

All in all, a pretty good round of sales, if each day I buy 2 games, that could be some serious damage by Jan 3rd!

epmode

gregor7777 said:

No taste at all. You're right.
Visualante said:
It was cheesy and dated at launch. It's still brilliant.

PS: No taste.

graywolf323

I think it has now become painfully obvious that you should only shop the daily deals at least until the last day of the sale which is January 3rd

almost bought the iD Super Pack last night, boy am I happy I didn't now

I'm getting the id Super Pack myself.

I only had the Doom games before (on Steam), and I've been wanting access to Wolfenstein, Hexen, and Heretic for a while now. Seems like a good deal to me.

gregor7777 said:

Tried the demo for the first SS game. Hated it. It's a FP arcade twitch shooter, and nothing like Doom, IMO.

Mrbob

So what is the deal with Serious Sam HD?

Did the remake not turn out well? I have't exactly heard good things about it. Especially online.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Ouch if you bought the id pack yesterday. :lol

I'm definitely holding out til the end on Fallout 3 now.

epmode

Mrbob said:
Did the remake not turn out well? I have't exactly heard good things about it. Especially online.
The remake turned out fine. It's almost exactly the same as it was before, with nicer textures and lighting. Same enemy count, same levels, everything.

Dedicated servers are coming so I'd avoid co-op until the client is released.

Vallarfax

Formerly 'GMUNYIFan'
Picked up Defense Grid, and the Borderlands Zombie expac last night. Just picked up the id super pack and SS:HD. Used to play the original SS with my bro when I was younger and I guess even if it's just a pretty version of the game I used to watch him play it'll still be awesome for nostalgia reasons.

FacelessSamurai

..but cry so much I wish I had some
Just went for the ID super pack as well as L4F2. It's not the craziest deal ever for L4D2 but my brother is getting it for christmas from his girlfriend either today or tomorrow and I'd like to be able to play coop with him so I got it. Still not sure if I'll order Serious Sam before the end of the day though, it is tempting me...

And yes, it seems some of the deals from yesterday are still up. Nothing interesting for me since I already owned most of them, but for those who forgot to buy them get them while it lasts!

Visualante said:

Cheesy, yes, and it's completely intentional. Dated? In what way? :lol

It's in it's own class in the FPS genre. The gameplay still hasn't been replicated. Closest I've seen is Painkiller.

Blizzard

Banned
evildede said:
Just went for the ID super pack as well as L4F2. It's not the craziest deal ever for L4D2 but my brother is getting it for christmas from his girlfriend either today or tomorrow and I'd like to be able to play coop with him so I got it. Still not sure if I'll order Serious Sam before the end of the day though, it is tempting me...

And yes, it seems some of the deals from yesterday are still up. Nothing interesting for me since I already owned most of them, but for those who forgot to buy them get them while it lasts!
Yeah, Mirror's Edge is still $5. They might take them down soon though, they could just be gradually updating the system.

1-D_FTW

syllogism said:

That's why I can't get excited about the package. I've pretty much played everything in that package and still have the discs for quite a few. Excellent price though.

Question - I'm using a 4 year old pc right now and hope to get a new pc sometime next year. Any games that I currently have on Steam - when I get my new pc, I can still redownload all my existing games onto the new pc for free, correct? Has anyone tried doing that? Also, anyone have any idea how Serious Sam will run on a 4 year old pc? I have a 3.4 ghz processor, 1 gig of ram, and geforce 6800.

id Super Pack is a great value, but I already bought it. I'm really considering buying Serious Sam HD. It's at a good price and dedicated servers and deathmatch will be added soon :)

nextgeneration said:
Question - I'm using a 4 year old pc right now and hope to get a new pc sometime next year. Any games that I currently have on Steam - when I get my new pc, I can still redownload all my existing games onto the new pc for free, correct? Has anyone tried doing that?

You can download and install mostly every game on any computer without a problem. For some games though, you might run out of activations and have to use a tool to remove activations or call up cs and have them free it up.

nextgeneration said:
Question - I'm using a 4 year old pc right now and hope to get a new pc sometime next year. Any games that I currently have on Steam - when I get my new pc, I can still redownload all my existing games onto the new pc for free, correct? Has anyone tried doing that?

Yes, download them to as many PCs as you like.

Minsc

Gold Member
nextgeneration said:

Yup, you can even just copy the files from your current HDD to your new one if the computers are networked or you transfer the HDD over, and you won't have to re-download anything.

Edit: cat got the hamster this time!

GHG

Gold Member
Valtor said:
I'd say Far Cry 2 is the visually more impressive game.

Thanks, will go with that since it'll take up less HDD space as well.

I need a second HDD desperately :lol .

Firebrand

nextgeneration said:

That is correct.

Top Bottom