• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2009 Begins! (Dec 22nd - Jan 3rd)

Ugh, I don't know if I should just go ahead and get Torchlight today. I've been wanting to try it out for awhile now and it is only $10 but I'd be disappointed if it went down to something like $2.50 or something in a deal of the day.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Dark Stalkers said:
How sad is it that I have The Witcher on disc but am considering buying the steam version?

I did it. I mean $13 for the convenience of having it tied to my Steam account over discs...maybe shameful but fukkin convenient.

fresquito said:
About L4D2 four pack, when you buy it, do you get codes to send to different people or how does it work?

Nope, there is a little app that allows you to choose a friend or an email address. Just hit send. There should be three entries.

Go to Game-> Manage gift passes

Visualante said:
Stalker was on sale last year. I got it then for what, $5? It's nothing new. And I paid full price for Mirror's Edge. It has been on offer at a dozen other outlets (D2D, EA Store, retail) at these sorts of prices. GTA IV was the real deal yesterday if you want to get all picky about it. But as I said, I own it.

And thank you. I told the person on MSN I hated that art style and he bought it anyway to prove his point that it's the gameplay that matters. So fuck him.
Seriously have never heard of somebody getting upset at a free game. You must be really fun at parties...

fresquito

gregor7777 said:
Nope, there is a little app that allows you to choose a friend or an email address. Just hit send. There should be three entries.

Go to Game-> Manage gift passes
Do you have to do it the same moment you buy it? Or can you do it at a later date?

Bebpo

Banned
Is it redundant to buy Shadowgrounds & The Shooter pack? I mean for the isometric action title crown, which is better?

Also is Rome Total War worth it if you already picked up Medieval II Total War for $6 the other week?

speculawyer said:
Steam patches retail games? Wat? I don't think so.

No if you have the retail copy, the devs in their latest patch (1.5) removed the need for the CD check. So to make it "like steam" all you need to do is add the game manually to the game launcher in steam.

They've supported The Witcher really well. Not only with this latest patch but how they handled gamers like myself who bought the original game before the EE came out.

Dark Stalkers said:
How sad is it that I have The Witcher on disc but am considering buying the steam version?

I just did that for World in Conflict (well I guess I didn't have Soviet Assault). The convenience of Steam was worth it to me for a game I boot up fairly often.

Blizzard

Banned
VGChampion said:
Ugh, I don't know if I should just go ahead and get Torchlight today. I've been wanting to try it out for awhile now and it is only $10 but I'd be disappointed if it went down to something like $2.50 or something in a deal of the day.
So download the Steam demo. Play it for 2-3 hours or however long it lasts (until like the 5th dungeon level), and then you should know whether you'd like it. Then if you get the full version (and you can probably wait until January 3rd assuming they keep the sale price up), your save file will be kept and you won't have to download anything else to start instantly playing. And if you decide to get it earlier, it's only $10! It has been on sale for $10 twice recently though, so I don't know if it would happen again. Who knows! At least you might wait until a day or two after Christmas.

Actually, check out the Independent Games Festival Website for some possible game purchases . . . not are all are available or on sale but some are:
http://www.igf.com/02finalists.html

Some winners that are on sale:
Darwinia
Osmos (Which I got and recommend)
Machinarium
World of Goo
Crayon Physics Deluxe
audiosurf
aquaria
samarost 2
Braid

Edit: If you want Machinarium, you should buy it straight from the developers web site where they offer Machinarium, Samarost 2, and a soundtrack all for $9.99

Well it couldn't last forever. The prices for Stalker and Mirrors Edge have gone back up to their normal price. There better be some good deals coming later or I am going to really regret passing up on those 2.

SmZA

I've been PMing with some users about trading Kings/Space Quest for the Lucasarts pack as they're restricted in some regions but apparently this is forbidden:

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?p_faqid=549#resend
Steam said:
May I sell or trade gift subscriptions?
Steam Gift Purchases can not be sold or traded. Attempting to sell or trade a gift subscription is a violation of the Steam Subscriber Agreement and may result in your account being permanently disabled.
I think these packs are cheap enough that I will just gift one and ask him to 'pay it forward' but I'm posting this here so no-one else risks getting banned.

poweld

Zachack said:
The Witcher is already significantly discounted, though. I'm not saying it won't happen, but $13 for it is really, really cheap and totally worth it.

That said, the only games I've bought so far have been games $10 and under (with the exception of Wallace & Gromit). I figure the games under $10 probably aren't going to drop any further, and if they do it probably won't be enough for me to get too grumpy. Save the bigger purchases until the end.

Also, I haven't actually mashed the button, but it looks like I can buy Steam games using my iPhone. Has anyone done this to confirm? I'm not going to have access to my PC until next week and I'll be damned if I'm going to miss more sales.
Huh, for some reason I thought it was $17. Maybe you're right, that is pretty low already. Still, will probably wait it out *just in case*. Just picked up Serious Sam as my first Holiday Sale purchase.

In response to your question, I haven't tried it myself, but I don't see why you wouldn't be able to purchase off of store.steampowered.com.

vocab said:
Re Read his post
The way it was written, it implies that Steam does the patching.
Don't. The latest patch removes the need of the CD check. Just add the game to your steam app and you're done

As he indicated later, they have issued patches. It would have been more clear if he wrote:
Don't. The latest patch removes the need of the CD check. Just get and apply the latest patch then add the game to your steam app and you're done

VGChampion said:
Dude come on, just buy it at $10. It's worth $20, easily.

Edit: There's a demo, I believe.

Mrbob

VGChampion said:

It is possible but highly unlikely. The game has been in the top 10 at 19.99, went on a weekend sale for 9.99 and is still sitting in the top 10. If it does go down it might be a couple bucks to 7.50 for a day, but I don't see it happening. It is a popular title that is selling great at its current pricepoint (50 percent off regular price).

Brashnir said:
If you don't want people minding "your" business, stop posting it on public message boards.

What a jerk.
I explained myself clearly and he chose to disregard it. Try to bring his own personal values into the discussion. I never wanted the game, and I don't have to accept it. Everyone's happy and someone else gets to enjoy the game. Can we please stop the derail? Heaven forbid someone else might have a different policy on gift giving to your own.

I <3 Memes said:
What game did he try to gift you?
:lol I can't say because most people on GAF love it. It's not like a bad game I just have no interest in it. It's like gifting an FPS gamer an RTS just because you happen to like it.

Visualante said:
:lol I can't say because most people on GAF love it. It's not like a bad game I just have no interest in it. It's like gifting an FPS gamer an RTS just because you happen to like it.

No, you must tell us now! :lol

We'll stop calling you the Christmas Grinch.

RedSwirl

DigitalSoul said:
How is Riddick? I've been looking at it for a while and other games...trying to decide what to get.

Does a great job of constantly switching between an FPS, stealth, brawler, and adventure game. Handles all four genres quite well too. Awesome graphics, and really interesting worlds.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Well, no sale for me right now. Since I'm in Europe, it won't let me buy anything as my billing address doesn't match up with the country I'm in. :(

videotape said:
I just did that for World in Conflict (well I guess I didn't have Soviet Assault). The convenience of Steam was worth it to me for a game I boot up fairly often.
I definitely don't understand this. Just use a CD crack or something if you own the disc version.

Volcynika

dark10x said:
Well, no sale for me right now. Since I'm in Europe, it won't let me buy anything as my billing address doesn't match up with the country I'm in. :(

I think if you send in a support ticket they can flag your account to let stuff like that through.

Visualante said:
I explained myself clearly and he chose to disregard it. Try to bring his own personal values into the discussion. I never wanted the game, and I don't have to accept it. Everyone's happy and someone else gets to enjoy the game. Can we please stop the derail? Heaven forbid someone else might have a different policy on gift giving to your own.
Let me guess, you're one of those KIDS whose parents worked their butts off to purchase you a particular console and when you open it you're response is "Jesus mom/dad this is crap. I wanted the (other console) so ridiculous. You don't love me. Waaaaaaa". Pathetic. Somebody needs a lesson on appreciation and how to receive gifts.

zoku88

Some of you guys take gifts so seriously. Accepting a gift that you know you will not like is just wasteful. Might as well give it to someone else (which he can't do if it was gifted to his Steam acct) or give it back (by not accepting it, I guess.)

I don't know about you guys, but to me, being wasteful is faaar more worse than creating a social faux pas.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
:lol What game is it Visualante I wanna know before I call you a Grinch =P. You can gift it back to me you know... (or can't you?). :lol

Now what to buy...

Top Bottom