• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2009 Begins! (Dec 22nd - Jan 3rd)

Long I resisted, but eventually I succumbed.

2vx2842.jpg

My wallet is crying.

nextgeneration said:
Question - I'm using a 4 year old pc right now and hope to get a new pc sometime next year. Any games that I currently have on Steam - when I get my new pc, I can still redownload all my existing games onto the new pc for free, correct? Has anyone tried doing that? Also, anyone have any idea how Serious Sam will run on a 4 year old pc? I have a 3.4 ghz processor, 1 gig of ram, and geforce 6800.
Once you own a game on steam you get unlimited downloads through steam, some games not made by valve however might have extra DRM which limit you to installs per month or only 5 different pc's etc but you should be completely fine when moving to a new PC.

I brought a lot of games years ago and they work without problems on my new rig, but I don't own any with silly DRM like crysis.

Delerat

Neo Member
I'm working my way through everything on Steam to see what I might get, then gonna narrow it down to fit my $400 budget. I knew Steam would do this again, so I prepared myself and saved up!

Also for those that use paypal and are confused why they can't purchase things:
For whatever reason, when you purchase discounted games on Steam you MUST have enough in your paypal to pay the normal undiscounted value of everything in your cart. You'll still only pay the discounted amount, but they want to see you have enough for the normal value.

1-D_FTW said:
That's why I can't get excited about the package. I've pretty much played everything in that package and still have the discs for quite a few. Excellent price though.

I think that's a fair response; honestly I've played everything in the package so many times it's not an exciting offer. But there's definitely something to be said about getting that entire collection again, in Steam form (see ya, discs) for a little over twenty bucks. Especially if you're a user that hasn't been keeping the discs since launch - I must have sold or gave away those games years ago. So even though I wasn't as enthusiastic as with the previous sale list...it's worth the money if you can swing it.

On a slightly related note, how is everyone doing on differential? I think my steam game count is +37 since the sale began. :lol

Volcynika

Blizzard said:
Or else, like me, they don't like scary games (thus all the DOOM games are out), don't care for the older graphics of the older Quake etc. games (thus a bunch more games are out), and figure that for Wolfenstein stuff, the free multiplayer of ET:RTCW is good enough, along with TF2 (thus removing most of the stuff that remains). :p

You think DOOM is scary?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Let the people want to go nuts cause I'm a hater who's about to hate. IDK I just don't see the id pack being that big of a deal. The old doom and quake games don't really hold up which leaves you with what? Doom III? Plus the one game that does still hold up, Quake III, is free to all with Quake Live.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Just Braid and Torchlight for me thus far. Hoping to keep my backlog light while my wallet remains relatively fat.

Damn, I bought the id pack a couple days ago. Burrrrrrn. I have to stop looking at the site because I keep seeing more stuff I want but will never have time to play and fully appreciate. Currently addicted to Torchlight. Addictive little gem of a game.

TheFatOne

So far I bought

Braid
Indigo Prophecy
Torchlight
Rome Total War
Medieval II:Total War
Sniper Elite
The Withcer
Stalker

Not too bad and I have another $150 to spend.

Volcynika said:
You think DOOM is scary?

Yeah I was gonna say. The Doom series isn't really scary. I'm not a fan of horror games but I had no problem with Doom. I could see you being a little jumpy with 3 at times but 1 and 2 are fine to play. About as scary as a Mario game. :D

Blizzard

Banned
Volcynika said:
You think DOOM is scary?
Yeah man, Doom 3 was all dark, and everything is dark and then SCREEEEEAM ZOMBIE. Also HL2 is scary at times. I'm a huge wimp! Also I hate screamy things and loud noises that damage my hearing. At any rate, Doom 3 and maybe one of the recent Wolfenstein games are the only ones I was aware of in that pack that even had relatively modern graphics. </graphics horse>

Visualante said:
Can I decline gifts? Someone just bought me a really bad game.
First you claim $5 Mirror's Edge and $2 STALKER suck, and now you try to give a big FU to someone who bought you a free game that you don't have to install? Really now, Scrooge, you're trying too hard.

If you don't accept the gift the other person can eventually just send it to someone else.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
gregor7777 said:
Cheesy, yes, and it's completely intentional. Dated? In what way? :lol

It's in it's own class in the FPS genre. The gameplay still hasn't been replicated. Closest I've seen is Painkiller.
Even Painkiller has a slower pace. Serious Sam is basically Smash TV: The FPS. It's always on, so to speak. There were sections of the game where even blinking could get you killed. The original is easily still worth buying, but $10 for the HD sequel with 16 player co-op is a steal.

Done for today:

- id Super Pack
- King's Quest Collection
- Space Quest Collection
- Lucasarts Adventure Pack

This, in addition to the THQ Pack I bought during the last sale, should last me a while. But, I bet more will be spent before the holidays are over.

Dark Stalkers said:
How sad is it that I have The Witcher on disc but am considering buying the steam version?

Not very. I often contemplate buying games on Steam for cheap that I already own on disc because I absolutely hate installing games from disc and patching them myself. I usually end up not doing it though unless it's $2.50 or less (i.e. I bought STALKER for $2 even though I have the disc already)

I still buy games on disc because I find them on clearance and whatnot for absurdly cheap prices, but eventually a year later it'll hit Steam for cheap and I'll regret it. I have to stop jumping at clearance PC games.

drakesfortune

Directions: Pull String For Uninformed Rant
SabinFigaro said:
Done for today:

- id Super Pack
- King's Quest Collection
- Space Quest Collection
- Lucasarts Adventure Pack

This, in addition to the THQ Pack I bought during the last sale, should last me a while. But, I bet more will be spent before the holidays are over.

Did you try running any of the King's Quest or Space Quest games? I'm on Windows 7, and they all run, but they miscolored pixels all over the place, which is really bumming me out.

Also, how the hell do you bring up the menu to save/quit in the old Indy games? Anyone know?

Sciz

Blizzard said:
I dunno about Commander Keen. If it was amazing I might consider it for $5, but that's not even a sale price.
Commander Keen is amazing, though. It's kind of a 2D proto-DOOM run through a Chuck Jones/Douglas Adams filter, and the latter games in the series are some of the best platformers ever made. The only thing wrong with the Steam package is that it's missing two parts of the series since id doesn't have the rights to them, and one of those has been shareware in its entirety since the day it was released.

Blizzard said:
Also I thought Evilore and/or someone else was already posting in this thread about how horrible Serious Sam HD performance was, but I might be mistaken.
I don't know what he was going on about, it's certainly not Crysis-level demanding. It looks like an XBLA title and has the resource requirements of one. It also still has the unparalleled number of customization options the original did, so you can tweak everything to performance perfection.

And anyone saying DOOM and DOOM II aren't worth it these days or that they haven't aged well needs to turn in their gamer card immediately.

Firebrand

drakesfortune said:
Did you try running any of the King's Quest or Space Quest games? I'm on Windows 7, and they all run, but they miscolored pixels all over the place, which is really bumming me out.

Also, how the hell do you bring up the menu to save/quit in the old Indy games? Anyone know?

F5 in LucasArts games, believe it might have been F1 for some early ones.

Blizzard said:
First you claim $5 Mirror's Edge and $2 STALKER suck, and now you try to give a big FU to someone who bought you a free game that you don't have to install? Really now, Scrooge, you're trying too hard.

If you don't accept the gift the other person can eventually just send it to someone else.
Stalker was on sale last year. I got it then for what, $5? It's nothing new. And I paid full price for Mirror's Edge. It has been on offer at a dozen other outlets (D2D, EA Store, retail) at these sorts of prices. GTA IV was the real deal yesterday if you want to get all picky about it. But as I said, I own it.

And thank you. I told the person on MSN I hated that art style and he bought it anyway to prove his point that it's the gameplay that matters. So fuck him.

Banned
Sinatar said:
Well at least by purchasing Indigo Prophecy for $3 I save $60 on Heavy Rain. This game is a god damned mess, wow.

does this make any sense to anyone?

Did you even purchase Indigo Prophecy? How does it save you from wasting $60 on Heavy Rain?

Oh, I see, because you don't like IP, you automatically think HR will be crap.

To each his own I guess.

poweld

Well, now that we've seen a discounted game go into the 24hr sales, I have high hopes for The Witcher. Probably going to pick up Serious Sam HD...

Stitch

Gold Member
Visualante said:
Stalker was on sale last year. I got it then for what, $5? It's nothing new. And I paid full price for Mirror's Edge. It has been on offer at a dozen other outlets (D2D, EA Store, retail) at these sorts of prices. GTA IV was the real deal yesterday if you want to get all picky about it. But as I said, I own it.

And thank you. I told the person on MSN I hated that art style and he bought it anyway to prove his point that it's the gameplay that matters. So fuck him.

pff i would be happy if someone would gift me something. you know like... stalker... :3 :D

vocab

drakesfortune said:

Those collections run on older versions of dosbox. There's a steam thread in the Space Quest section that tells you how to update it. Also, to save in dosbox you should hit like f5 or f3 or something it brings up a box that asks you to save.

bengraven

Damn, that id pack is a GOOD fucking deal. I loved a lot of these games and never got a chance to try others.

Biting my nails again because that's half my budget.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I'd like to plug Gratuitous Space Battles as an awesome deal @ $9.99 pricepoint.

It's gratuitous fun, battling other peoples fleets and unlocking new gear.

Zachack

poweld said:
Well, now that we've seen a discounted game go into the 24hr sales, I have high hopes for The Witcher. Probably going to pick up Serious Sam HD...
The Witcher is already significantly discounted, though. I'm not saying it won't happen, but $13 for it is really, really cheap and totally worth it.

That said, the only games I've bought so far have been games $10 and under (with the exception of Wallace & Gromit). I figure the games under $10 probably aren't going to drop any further, and if they do it probably won't be enough for me to get too grumpy. Save the bigger purchases until the end.

Also, I haven't actually mashed the button, but it looks like I can buy Steam games using my iPhone. Has anyone done this to confirm? I'm not going to have access to my PC until next week and I'll be damned if I'm going to miss more sales.

Here is an indie game you may consider . . Darwinia.

Metacritic 84/100, 2006 Independent games festival winner

About the Game
Combining fast-paced action with strategic battle planning, Darwinia features a novel and intuitive control mechanism, a graphical style ripped from 80's retro classics like Tron and Defender, and a story concerning a tribe of nomadic sprites trapped in a modern 3D world.

$4.99

Top Bottom