• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2009 Begins! (Dec 22nd - Jan 3rd)

Delerat

Neo Member
bengraven said:
All right.

-----------

Braid
Overlord
Freedom Force
Time, Gentlemen Please! Collection
Gothic 3
Mount & Blade

$33.79.
Hell ya! Enjoy the shit out of M&B. It's a great strategy game. I've put hundreds of hours into it. It's a bit dated, but damn the gameplay is there.

Sanjay

Visualante said:
:lol I can't say because most people on GAF love it. It's not like a bad game I just have no interest in it. It's like gifting an FPS gamer an RTS just because you happen to like it.

Now your saying GAF loves really bad games, kill this man now!

LovingSteam said:
Let me guess, you're one of those KIDS whose parents worked their butts off to purchase you a particular console and when you open it you're response is "Jesus mom/dad this is crap. I wanted the (other console) so ridiculous. You don't love me. Waaaaaaa". Pathetic. Somebody needs a lesson on appreciation and how to receive gifts.
Not once, never. My family were pretty open that we couldn't afford certain things and I respected that. To give you an idea, we couldn't afford a camera so they have almost no baby photos.
I had a particular console when times were tough and I definitely appreciated it. If that's how I've presented myself then I apologise.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
dark10x said:
Well, no sale for me right now. Since I'm in Europe, it won't let me buy anything as my billing address doesn't match up with the country I'm in. :(

I definitely don't understand this. Just use a CD crack or something if you own the disc version.
Most (good) developers patch out the CD check after the game has been out for awhile. World in Conflict doesn't require a CD for online multiplayer anymore. THQ does this as well. That said, there are a few features that may make double dipping worth it for some people (Steam Cloud, achievements, friend list support, etc.) Steam is very much a platform now.

Anyone else getting server errors? I can't download the AAAAA... demo.

Parham

Banned
I only bought Deus Ex this time around, since I still haven't played many of the games I bought during the last sale. :lol

I couldn't pass on Outrun C2C for so cheap. Blazes along, 1680x1050. Deliberately getting used to keyboard so I can play at will anywhere on the laptop, no joystick in tow. A-accel, S-brake, UP-downshift, DOWN-upshift seems to be working well for me.

Being very careful with the trigger finger with Steam, to date went for three games at $2.50 each: this, KOTOR, and Monkey Island SE (remake). Good stuff.

Minsc

Gold Member
Heh, the iD pack like doubled my Steam list. Most of those games I've been without for a long time, so it's nice to have them back.

I'm curious how poor Serious Sam runs, I'll know soon!

So glad I waited on that iD Super pack. I was tempted to jump on it yesterday. Now I think I will save most of my non daily deal purchases for the last day. So far:

Defense Grid -$2.49
GTA4 - $7.49
Oddworld pack - $2.49
Unreal Deal pack - $13.59
Torchlight - $9.99
id Super Pack - 23.79
---
= $62.84

Not too bad.

Also yes. Get Outrun 2 if you haven't already. Best version of an awesome arcade racer.

poweld

Just fired up Serious Sam, and even the intro is placing me firmly back in 1998. "Holy shit, LENS FLARE. FUCKING DOUBLE LENS FLARE, LET'S DO THIS"

Shiv47

I have been trying to give Steam about $150, but neither my Paypal nor my credit card is being accepted. I know about the Paypal "enough funds for regular price" thing, and that isn't a problem. I called my credit card company and they said there's no problem. So what the fuck? I want games!

Minsc

Gold Member
poweld said:
Just fired up Serious Sam, and even the intro is placing me firmly back in 1998. "Holy shit, LENS FLARE. FUCKING DOUBLE LENS FLARE, LET'S DO THIS"

Yea, that green loading bar at the bottom of the screen did it for me.

Well, I just finished the first two levels, game stuck v-sync'd to 60fps with all presets set to ultra @1920x1200 w/ 4xFSAA. No complaints so far! Other than I suck at the game now!

Chris R

Seems like all the different download servers I try aren't working today so far :( Still stuck at 54% on The Witcher. I wanna play it tonight :<

Blizzard

Banned
I looked at some co-op gameplay stuff for Serious Sam HD on youtube, and it actually looks pretty fun. Nice to hear the performance isn't awful either (what graphics card?). Is the co-op/online stuff actually bad though? I thought I also saw someone saying to wait for a patch, but I don't know who to trust. :p

Blizzard said:
I looked at some co-op gameplay stuff for Serious Sam HD on youtube, and it actually looks pretty fun. Nice to hear the performance isn't awful either (what graphics card?). Is the co-op/online stuff actually bad though? I thought I also saw someone saying to wait for a patch, but I don't know who to trust. :p

From what I've read, currently, the coop for Serious Sam HD is P2P, so there are not that many coop games going on. Croteam said that they'll be adding dedicated servers in a few weeks, as well as deathmatch.

Parham

Banned
Maxirugi said:
Is the Indigo Prophecy on the UK Steam store actually Fahrenheit, or is it still the cut version?

Even if it is, you can just go into the .ini file and change "USmode=1" to "USmode=0." That will enable all of scenes and features cut from the American version of the game.

MoFuzz

Blizzard said:
Nice to hear the performance isn't awful either (what graphics card?).
I'm pretty sure Minsc has a beefy rig w/Radeon 5800 series video card. I'm not gonna do a celebration dance just yet for performance....

All I want is to run it at 1920x1200 on my GTX 275 with all graphics options maxed and 4xMSAA & 16AF. Hopefully that is possible...

Maxirugi

Visualante said:
You can edit some settings file allegedly. Haven't bought it myself yet.

azentium said:
Even if it is, you can just go into the .ini file and change "USmode=1" to "USmode=0." That will enable all of scenes and features cut from the American version of the game.

Sold! Cheers guys.

Parham

Banned
Mirror's Edge and GTA IV are back up to $20 and $30 respectively. It appears as if the only game on their "special deals" list that is still on sale is STALKER, albeit for $10 now.

Firestorm

Someone really likes a game, wants a friend to try it just in case they like it so they can talk about it, gives it to them for free, friend is a douche and tells them to fuck off.

Cool.

Minsc

Gold Member
MoFuzz said:
I'm pretty sure Minsc has a beefy rig w/Radeon 5800 series video card. I'm not gonna do a celebration dance just yet for performance....

All I want is to run it at 1920x1200 on my GTX 275 with all graphics options maxed and 4xMSAA & 16AF. Hopefully that is possible...

Yea, 5870, same as EviLore, which is why the Crysis performance comment was a little puzzling. Maybe the game gets tripped up when it's more involved past the second level, or who knows.

I had to change my graphic memory setting from low to ultra, everything else was on Ultra by default, that just seemed weird so I put it on ultra as well.

I didn't go in and change stuff around because I don't know what half of those option mean. You can change the color space the shadows are rendered in for godsake!

Edit: The opening menus only run at around 30fps but that's not entirely unheard of, once you jump in to the game it was 60fps for me.

I'm tempted to grab the Witcher but I already own a boxed copy. I'd trade it away on Goozex but I have no idea how to ensure my CD Key is deactivated for the next person to use. Anyone know how to ensure this is done?

Alucrid said:
I hope they bring out the big guns tomorrow for Christmas.

Fallout 3/Oblivon

It's crazy, but I agree. Despite having played through Fallout3 on the 360...if a really cheap PC ver hits, I'm back for more. :lol

kennah

Sooo tempted by the id deal but I know for a fact I'd never play anything from it. Would probably be the 10th time I buy DOOM too. It's the perfect package to gift someone who needs an education however.

bengraven

Delerat said:
Hell ya! Enjoy the shit out of M&B. It's a great strategy game. I've put hundreds of hours into it. It's a bit dated, but damn the gameplay is there.

Thanks! :D I think it will last me until another wide open WRPG comes out.

I wanted to wait and see if it would go down in price, but at $14 I really wanted to try it.

That said, I'm still kicking myself for not grabbing the id pack.

so far i have bought:

defense grid
rollercoaster tycoon 3 platinum
stalker
deus ex
serious sam HD

id super pack (wasnt going to get this one but when it was reduced even further i couldnt help it)

considering:
altitude
bioshock
torchlight
plants vs zombies
aquaria

might double tip on braid also just to have it on my steam account

and still hoping for:
modern warfare 2
crysis maximum edition

Blizzard

Banned
SuicideUZI said:
and still hoping for:
modern warfare 2
crysis maximum edition
TO-winks.gif

Maybe they'll prove me wrong, but good luck with that.

DeadGzuz

Banned
I picked up Trine. I looked at the iD pack then realized I don't like any of their games. I'm waiting for a deal on Fallout 3 GOTY.

Chris R

Alucrid said:
I hope they bring out the big guns tomorrow for Christmas.

Fallout 3/Oblivon
This! Either Fallout 3 GOTY for sub 20$ or Fallout/Oblivion/Morrowind GOTYs for 40$ or less. Even though I already have Morrowind "GOTY" and Oblivion (no DLC) it would be nice to just have them all one click away instead of having to look for my discs :lol

Parham

Banned
SuicideUZI said:
so far i have bought:

considering:
bioshock
might double tip on braid also just to have it on my steam account

and still hoping for:
modern warfare 2

If you are not in any kind of rush, I would recommend holding off on Bioshock. There have been multiple instances during the past few months where Bioshock was $5, so I wouldn't be surprised if they sell it for that price again later down the line. As for Modern Warfare 2, we likely wont see a decent sale on Steam for a long time. :(

dock

I want to gift my duplicate items, but I get this message:

"† Note: You already own the following items in "id Super Pack". You will not receive extra copies of these items when you complete this purchase:"

How do I order the games so that I can gift any duplicate items?

dock said:
I want to gift my duplicate items, but I get this message:

"† Note: You already own the following items in "id Super Pack". You will not receive extra copies of these items when you complete this purchase:"

How do I order the games so that I can gift any duplicate items?

I think only Valve games allow you to gift duplicate copies. You'll just have to grin and bear it for the rest of 'em.

RedSwirl

Sucks that EA's only doing one game at a time. Here's to hoping for Command & Conquer 3 and another chance at Dragon Age.

3rdman

That iD Pack is tempting but I can't get myself to buy it...I've played them all and own most of them in one way or another. The only one I'd like to retry is Return to Castle Wolfenstien but I already own the Xbox version (which is backwards compatible on the 360)....So far, I've jumped on GTA4, Braid, Stalker, and Witcher...I'll check back again tomorrow. :p

Top Bottom