• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2009 Begins! (Dec 22nd - Jan 3rd)

FightTest

Did they ever fix it so the browser doesn't crash all the time making the Steam overlay stop functioning? I tried it when it released but found it to be pretty worthless since it usually died within a couple minutes.

To stay on topic I picked up STALKER for the high price of $2. Installed the Complete 2009 mod and 8 hours and change into it been having a pretty great time. One of those games you play and get to see why people heaped both praise and criticism on it at the same time.

RedSwirl

Tokubetsu said:
The Witcher is/was like the best thing to happen in western role playing games since like 02

My problem is that I haven't taken very much of a liking to Western RPGs. I loved Fallout 3 and Mass Effect, but as soon as you dip back into generic swords and sorcery my interest plummets.

I'm renting Dragon Age right now, and even though I see it as a very solid game on an objective level, I'm still not interested enough to drop $50 on it. I'm having the same problem looking at videos of The Witcher and Gothic 3. They look like good games, but they all look like similar shades of Tolkien to me.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Ogs said:
Fixed.

Sadly i dont think theyve managed to top UT99. Especially didnt like the new "Gears" style models they used. Gameplay was still fun and frantic as hell though :)
UT2k4 is still the better game, IMO, but only because of all the mods. I only play instagib and Onslaught, however. I prefer either one to UT99. DM players will probably disagree with me and I can understand why.

Durante

I just played an hour or so of Serious Sam HD coop. It's as awesome as I remember it, completely different from the slow/"realistic" FPS stuff you get these days.

Stitch

Gold Member
can someone gift me stalker? i can send the money back with paypal. or i can gift a game back. something cheap of course, for 2-3 dollar :p or i could trade for half-life 2. but i guess everyone already has that. i guess i can never gift that to someone :lol

Wallach

RedSwirl said:
My problem is that I haven't taken very much of a liking to Western RPGs. I loved Fallout 3 and Mass Effect, but as soon as you dip back into generic swords and sorcery my interest plummets.

I'm renting Dragon Age right now, and even though I see it as a very solid game on an objective level, I'm still not interested enough to drop $50 on it. I'm having the same problem looking at videos of The Witcher and Gothic 3. They look like good games, but they all look like similar shades of Tolkien to me.

The Witcher's got a bit of a different angle to it, it's not very traditional "high fantasy", though it's still spells and swords I guess. Definitely not a similar theme to Dragon Age or other more derivative Tolkien-style fantasy. I know where you're coming from, though. I'd still check out The Witcher if you can tolerate the protagonist; I personally rolled my eyes one too many times to keep interested.

Edit - On a side note, Steam is really getting slammed. I'm getting like 10-20% of my typical bandwidth from them. Damn you holiday sales I need to reinstall Batman!

Stitch

Gold Member
Wallach said:
Edit - On a side note, Steam is really getting slammed. I'm getting like 10-20% of my typical bandwidth from them.

got to the steam settings, downloads and then change your download region :D

Ripclawe

Banned
well, I am going to jump into this steam business with Star Wars KOTOR. do I have to have the client running all the time or only when I play the game and even then keep it offline?

Ripclawe said:
well, I am going to jump into this steam business with Star Wars KOTOR. do I have to have the client running all the time or only when I play the game and even then keep it offline?

Only when you're in the game, but provided the game is fully up to date you do not have to be online while playing. I don't see a hassle with leaving the client open all the time, though; the community features are neat, and it closes right to the task bar.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I thought the saboteur was actually on steam so i was hoping for a cheap deal on it, turns out it isn't :lol

I know it has huge issues with ATi cards, but for $10 or $15 i would have still purchased it. The latest patch may have fixed most of the problems.

Wark

I'm tempted to pick up Risen, but I'm on the fence with it. I'm downloading the demo right now to check it out. Should I buy it? Give me a couple reasons why I should purchase it.

schild

Wark said:
I'm tempted to pick up Risen, but I'm on the fence with it. I'm downloading the demo right now to check it out. Should I buy it? Give me a couple reasons why I should purchase it.

Sure, if it goes on sale for 50%+ off.

Edit: Point being, it's full price right now and during this sale it's worth waiting just to see what happens.

senahorse

Relix said:
Holy shit you can open webpages in Steam. Now I can read a KOTOR FAQ godammit :lol . I am absolutely lost in the game... that's why I like markers =(

:O MIND BLOWN

I never knew this, even today I quit out of a game to get some advice for graphical settings...

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
For shame x3n05 :lol

Just modify the url when you load up the community page. You have IE for a browser inside steam, oh yea! :D

Wallach

Stitch said:
got to the steam settings, downloads and then change your download region :D

Goddamn, thanks.

Also, anyone how know to make NoScript stop fucking up my Steam default browser? I have it set to allow store.steampowered.com but I still can't see any Flash through the Steam browser which is usually NoScript's doing.

senahorse

evlcookie said:
For shame x3n05 :lol

Just modify the url when you load up the community page. You have IE for a browser inside steam, oh yea! :D

:( I know I know, well I guess I should share the advice I was searching for.

Penumbra (well at least Overture) only lets you select a max res of 1280x1024 in game. However if you go to C:\Users\"your windows username here"\Documents\Penumbra\Overture\Episode1 directory (edit: this is for win7, it will vary depending on OS) and open settings.cfg you can hard code higher resolutions in there. :D

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
x3n05 said:

I never knew this, even today I quit out of a game to get some advice for graphical settings...

w00t *high five*

I've had Steam for over a year and never figured WTF that Web button was in the overlay. Found out today. :lol

Sibylus

Banned
x3n05 said:

I've browsed Youtube for L4D survival walkthroughs while in-game. Works pretty good, if a bit slowly.

senahorse

Thanks guys. Seriously the amount of times I have had to alt tab or even ctrl-alt-del to get out of a game to check something... Anyway it's like Steam is all new again now :lol

G_Berry

Banned
Serious Sam get!

STEAM.png

I'm only 29 now, Imagine how big my Steam library will be when I'm in my 50's :D

cory

Banned
BG&E is a mess- it supports widescreen resolutions, but they are stretched from letterboxed 4:3! It also has graphical glitches. The best solution I found only works with Nvidia cards, using a 4:3 resolution with the same horizontal value, but a higher vertical, and cutting off the top and bottom.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Should I gift Braid to a girl who's not really that much into games (a bit) and who doesn't have a gaming PC? I haven't played it, doesn't interest me that much, but maybe it will to her. Should I? =P

Relix said:
Should I gift Braid to a girl who's not really that much into games (a bit) and who doesn't have a gaming PC? I haven't played it, doesn't interest me that much, but maybe it will to her. Should I? =P

That game is pretty tough at points, not sure how a non-gamer would react.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I just turned on hippy blood in serious sam! Holy crap that's great. This is like the perfect version of one of the more pure gaming experiences I've ever had.

zoku88

Relix said:
I wouldn't get someone whose not that into games a game...

Teknoman

Orellio said:
Dude, click the button at the bottom of the overlay that says "WEB".

Oh right, you have to be in game. I was going to try something to get my guest pass for stalker to work, but doubt that would help. :lol nevermind.

Well from what I've seen from the demo Braid is almost a complete knockoff of Mario Bros.. At one point in the demo you even get the message "Your princess is in another castle". There is some platforming, there are cannons who shoot enemies at you, you jump on the enemies heads. Very similar to Mario Bros. I don't mean that as a knock on the game. From what I've played it's awesome and really beautiful. No matter what anyone else thinks about I think the art direction is outstanding in Braid. :D

It has elements of it's own as well. You collect jigsaw puzzle pieces and I assume you later assemble the puzzle. Also you cant die in Braid. You just hold down on shift to reverse time instead of dieing. I'm pretty sure the reverse time mechanic is also used later in the game for precision jumps. ie. You need to jump perfectly off of an enemy to bounce higher to get to a ledge, Well if you miss your first attempt at the jump instead of waiting for all of the elements to be lined up again, by that i mean lining up your character and waiting for an enemy to get in just the right spot, you would just rewind time with the shift key and re-adjust your jump until you get it right.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Relix said:
Nah she plays some stuff, like Street Fighter, Uncharted.... she plays casually.
Audiosurf!!! Audiosurf.

Either way, you win. She buys it, plays it and loves it. Or you bought 2 copies of Audiosurf and instantly put back into good standings with the man upstairs.

I <3 Memes said:
Well from what I've seen from the demo Braid is almost a complete knockoff of Mario Bros.. At one point in the demo you even get the message "Your princess is in another castle". There is some platforming, there are cannons who shoot enemies at you, you jump on the enemies heads. Very similar to Mario Bros. I don't mean that as a knock on the game. From what I've played it's awesome and really beautiful. No matter what anyone else thinks about I think the art direction is outstanding in Braid. :D

You haven't really played the game. The platforming aspect is only a small piece; the time manipulation is really what the whole game is about.

fatty

Relix said:
w00t *high five*

I've had Steam for over a year and never figured WTF that Web button was in the overlay. Found out today. :lol

:lol

I've had Steam for more than 2 years but never used the overlay (Shift+Tab) until I saw it posted on this page. I just figured it was for trophies/friends' list, both of which I don't use.

Keikoku

Banned
About Oddworld, is it possible to change the resolution ? Also, wasn't Stranger's Wrath supposed to be on steam this month ?

hamchan

I <3 Memes said:

It has elements of it's own as well. You collect jigsaw puzzle pieces and I assume you later assemble the puzzle. Also you cant die in Braid. You just hold down on shift to reverse time instead of dieing. I'm pretty sure the reverse time mechanic is also used later in the game for precision jumps. ie. You need to jump perfectly off of an enemy to bounce higher to get to a ledge, Well if you miss your first attempt at the jump instead of waiting for all of the elements to be lined up again, by that i mean lining up your character and waiting for an enemy to get in just the right spot, you would just rewind time with the shift key and re-adjust your jump until you get it right.
Uh no The gameplay isn't similar ot Mario Bros at all. I would describe it more like a puzzle solving game first and a platformer second. One of the hardest games I've played but every puzzle in the game can be solved with logic and patience.

itxaka

Defeatist
Oh man, just bought Braid and Lucasarts pack.

Who can resist getting it at that price? I already have it on the 360 but at that price? If you don't buy it you are an idiot.

BTW I'm impressed that it runs on my work pc with a shitty integrated intel. Any way of bumping the resolution? I can't see any option on the game.

toasty_T said:
Get her Audiosurf. It lets you play your music while you play your music

28rcj90.jpg

And about Briad. I've only had the demo to go off of and I have no idea how far I've made it through the demo. But it's obvious that the central theme of the game as well as the main gameplay mechanic is being able to control time.

Top Bottom