• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2009 Begins! (Dec 22nd - Jan 3rd)

evlcookie said:
All good. Clearly we are bored at 8pm on christmas night, so either of us can help out.

Edit: Why is MW2 still in the top 5 of the charts. Booo. Good to see serious sam sell a few units at $10. Also just noticed in "your account" it lists every purchase you have made, i've been on steam for over 2 years :lol
I believe the top seller chart is sorted by revenue so it doesn't have to sell too many copies at $60 to stay in the top 10.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
CrookedRain said:
I believe the top seller chart is sorted by revenue so it doesn't have to sell too many copies at $60 to stay in the top 10.

Yea i know. But i'm surprised people are still buying it instead of all the crazy sales going on. It's still listed as USD$90 on the aussie store and #3.

Firestorm

evlcookie said:
All good. Clearly we are bored at 8pm on christmas night, so either of us can help out.

Edit: Why is MW2 still in the top 5 of the charts. Booo. Good to see serious sam sell a few units at $10. Also just noticed in "your account" it lists every purchase you have made, i've been on steam for over 2 years :lol
$60 + all retail copies are activated through Steam so maybe that's why :( Sales are listed by revenue apparently. So a $5 game has to sell 12 times to beat 1 copy of MW2.

Brashnir

heck, two different versions of Dragon Age are in the top 15 at full price. I wonder how high they'd be on the charts if combined.

and I hope that doesn't mean they won't be going on sale :(

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I just bought Riddick. I played the 360 version and wasn't all that thrilled by the controls. I got stuck at a giant-robot thing, and couldn't for the life of me work out how to beat it.

For seven bucks and kb/m controls, I'm willing to give it another try.

Zaptruder

Banned
Played a bit of The Witcher today... looks to be a very thick, meaty and interesting game. Not at all like Dragon Age... but at the same time, after having played a thick meaty game like that, I think I need a bit of a break from large hardcore games like that.

My PC isn't good enough to run L4D2 at my new native resolution (2048x1152) but I couldn't resist it for £20. :D

I played the first one at sub 30fps and I still loved it, so I reckon I'll shove all the settings down and destroy some zombies as a Christmas treat later today.

Sanjay

Zaptruder said:
Played a bit of The Witcher today... looks to be a very thick, meaty and interesting game. Not at all like Dragon Age... but at the same time, after having played a thick meaty game like that, I think I need a bit of a break from large hardcore games like that.

The game is very linear and is broken up in different chapters so you could beat chapters at your own pace and not feel like you have stopped at a stupid time so you could just pick it right back up whenever, play it like episodic content if you want.

MNC

Saw Botolf purchase Overlord and completely forgot about it. Any good? I can't download the demo ATM since the servers are too busy <_<

Zaptruder

Banned
So it looks like the people I was organizing the Left4Dead2 group deal with has fallen apart. They're either asleep, or off doing christmas stuff or both.

Because the number of hours on this deal are dwindling, I'll throw this offer out there instead:

Any non-aussie or german gaffer wanting to swap a copy of Left4Dead 2 for DIRT 2 and a game to $15 value (of your choice) on steam?

Sorry aussie/german gaffers... I'm trying to get an uncensored version of Left 4 Dead 2, without the hacking hassles.

Bought:

Rainbow Six 3 Gold (includes Athena Sword, which I never played)
Sniper Elite (never played, but heard good things)

For a grand total of 3 euros, wallet am still happy.

TaKeRx

Zaptruder said:
So it looks like the people I was organizing the Left4Dead2 group deal with has fallen apart. They're either asleep, or off doing christmas stuff or both.

Because the number of hours on this deal are dwindling, I'll throw this offer out there instead:

Any non-aussie or german gaffer wanting to swap a copy of Left4Dead 2 for DIRT 2 and a game to $15 value (of your choice) on steam?

Sorry aussie/german gaffers... I'm trying to get an uncensored version of Left 4 Dead 2, without the hacking hassles.

Hey man I'm still here! We need 2(1)? more and I asked some friends and stuff, but no luck.

zugzug

I'm on the fence if I want Fallout 3:GOTY edition for $37.....I bought the original at release do I really want the expansions.

Strange never been interested in Rainbow 6, but for $24.99 pondering.....

Pondering Gothic 3 as well, even though I'm positive I'll never finish it

Pretty sure i'll buy the Children of the Nile package with Alexandria edition from Tilted Mill before sale is over, not sure if I want complete package with Hinterlands and Mosby's confedracy although Tilted Mill is a company I'd be happy to support.

TaKeRx said:
Hey man I'm still here! We need 2(1)? more and I asked some friends and stuff, but no luck.

Is this for the L4D2 4-pack?

I want L4D2 for a good price. I can buy from the US Steam market.

I can pay through PayPal.

Brashnir

Smash88 said:
Why is MW2 #3? Are people smoking something and thinking its on sale? This is ridiculous.

It's ranked by revenue, and it's by far the biggest game of the holiday season. I don't know why people continue to be surprised by this.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Outrun 2006, probably the coolest $2 game I've ever played. It looks and runs so smooth and wonderfully. I'm using a dualshock 3 too, that helps.

evlcookie said:
Yea i know. But i'm surprised people are still buying it instead of all the crazy sales going on. It's still listed as USD$90 on the aussie store and #3.

Pretty sure the charts are worldwide, and no matter how much we may not like to admit it MW2 is the biggest release of the year. For any title to be bringing in as much revenue as it is on by far and away the world's largest global PC retailer at the busiest sales period of the year, is no small achievement.

hamchan

mattiewheels said:
Outrun 2006, probably the coolest $2 game I've ever played. It looks and runs so smooth and wonderfully. I'm using a dualshock 3 too, that helps.
You can use a dual shock 3 on the PC? Is it just plug in and play?

Firestorm said:
$60 + all retail copies are activated through Steam so maybe that's why :( Sales are listed by revenue apparently. So a $5 game has to sell 12 times to beat 1 copy of MW2.

They don't count towards the total. Its just revenue from the last 24 hours.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
zugzug said:
I'm on the fence if I want Fallout 3:GOTY edition for $37.....I bought the original at release do I really want the expansions.
Wait till the last day, in case it gets discounted further.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
I'm hoping for an Orange Box sale of $10 or less so I can gift it to my buddy who got a new computer and has had to live with the inferior Xbox 360 version for so long. :(

I'll get burned alive for this but, I never tried audio surf. Just bought it for £1.50 and OMG, how much fun is this? I hate myself for not buying it sooner but I love that I got it for peanuts :D

adg1034

Oh, god.

So far, the Steam Holiday Sale has made me the proud owner of:

GTA IV
Lucasarts Adventure Bundle
Aquaria
Sid Meier's Pirates!
The Void
Freedom Pack
Serious Sam HD
Outrun 2 C2C

AND WE STILL HAVE DAYS AND DAYS TO GO
HOLY BALLS
SOMEONE CONSOLE MY WALLET
IT CRIED ITSELF TO SLEEP LAST NIGHT
NOW I HAVE TO WASH TEAR STAINS OUT OF MY JACKET

ArjanN

Rez said:
I just bought Riddick. I played the 360 version and wasn't all that thrilled by the controls. I got stuck at a giant-robot thing, and couldn't for the life of me work out how to beat it.

For seven bucks and kb/m controls, I'm willing to give it another try.

In the Dark Athena campaign? You had to trick it into following you over a trapdoor, and press a button to make it fall down. Then it's damaged enough to actually fight it.

Brashnir

adg1034 said:
Oh, god.

So far, the Steam Holiday Sale has made me the proud owner of:

GTA IV
Lucasarts Adventure Bundle
Aquaria
Sid Meier's Pirates!
The Void
Freedom Pack
Serious Sam HD
Outrun 2 C2C

AND WE STILL HAVE DAYS AND DAYS TO GO
HOLY BALLS
SOMEONE CONSOLE MY WALLET
IT CRIED ITSELF TO SLEEP LAST NIGHT
NOW I HAVE TO WASH TEAR STAINS OUT OF MY JACKET

That's not so bad. I've bought:

Telltale Complete Pack
Ghostbusters
Audiosurf
Shadowgrounds
Mirror's Edge

For myself, plus about $135 in stuff as gifts for other people.

52club

I3rand0 said:
Amazon has Modern Warfare 2 on sale today only for $40. I wonder if Steam may match this as well?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00269QLJ2

I'm hoping the same thing. This is a price that I'm willing to pay for a game that made questionable decisions for their community, but still made a good game. With my Prime running out for Amazon I probably wouldn't get it until the new year anyway if I order it from Amazon, so Steam is preferred.

52club

Brashnir said:
heck, two different versions of Dragon Age are in the top 15 at full price. I wonder how high they'd be on the charts if combined.

and I hope that doesn't mean they won't be going on sale :(

The one game I asked for this x-mas was Dragon Age. This way I wouldn't pay full price, but a loved one would:lol . I am very happy to see it up the charts at Steam. I feel like PC gamers need to reward developers who take the time to take advantage of the higher ceiling for PCs versus consoles. Bioware did just that by adding better graphics and an additional view for PC players.

If you contrast this against Borderlands (which is still a good game) the PC game differs little from the Console versions. Also for those fans who want DLC (I'm not one, but I know they are out there) on the PC have to wait while console gamers have the content available.

Rockstar

Neo Member
Submarino Conversível said:
Thanks

-

DiRT for $9.99 USD, seems like a good deal, but it says on the page that it doesn't support Win7. Anyone tried?

I have Windows 7 64 bits and runs...but the performance could be better.

Top Bottom