• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2009 Begins! (Dec 22nd - Jan 3rd)

Orellio said:
Funny thing is I think last year's sale had a better deal for the Unreal games than this year. UT '99 will ALWAYS have people playing it, and UT3 is a worthy successor to the first. It's a little more cut and dry than the iD pack. If you like the games, there's no reason not to be buying the pack.
That's good to hear about the first game. I think I might buy it then.

Label said:
I agree with the first statement but.. UT3 is worthy of nothing. :lol
What's wrong with it? I only played a little bit of it at launch and it was just OK.

Zeliard

Sascha23 said:
OMG, if I didn't already own most of the adventure games on there, I would be flipping out right now.

The Dig for $2.49? Indigo Prophecy for $3.99? Machinarium for $10?

Or how about the Complete Telltale Collection for $49?

If you don't own these games and even remotely heart adventure games, you would be crazy not to get them.

Is Machinarium awesome? Been meaning to play that.

Oreoleo

Label said:
I agree with the first statement but.. UT3 is worthy of nothing. :lol

If you want to play UT'99, play UT '99. Don't hate on UT3 for advancing the gameplay of the series. Is it BETTER than UT99? I never said that. But the gameplay is still solid. FWIW I got about 25 hours out of it just playing the campaign and deathmatch with bots. There's nothing wrong with the game other than the misguided expectations of people who haven't played it.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Alright, Steam unlocked my account so that I can make purchases from Europe! Bought Machinarium and The Void thus far (both looked very interesting and unique).

Bebpo

Banned
steamsale.jpg

Not the most bang for the buck, but I doubt any of those will go any cheaper.

Salacious Crumb

If I was only going to buy one, which Painkiller would everyone recommend?

*edit* nm, upon closer inspection the answers obvious.

Painkiller black: BOUGHT

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
Orellio said:
If you want to play UT'99, play UT '99. Don't hate on UT3 for advancing the gameplay of the series. Is it BETTER than UT99? I never said that. But the gameplay is still solid. There's nothing wrong with the game other than the misguided expectations of people who haven't played it.

That is not really what I was getting at to be honest, I prefer UT99 over UT3 but I still prefer UT2003/4 leaps and bounds over both, and UT3 is a major step back from UT2004, its even laughable compared to UT2004. (so yeah I do stick with UT2k4)

FYI I probably have around 500+ hours of gameplay with UT2k3/4. (probably even more)

Anyhoo enough about my disappointment of UT3, and back onto the awesome Steam deals! :D

TheExodu5 said:
UT3 is better than UT99.
:lol

Dennis

Banned
ezekial45 said:
How is The Witcher?
Very, very good.

One of the only games I can think of that actually feels like "Dark Fantasy"

Dragon Age is typical High Fantasy - nevermind what the developer claimed :lol

Zaptruder

Banned
TaKeRx said:
I'm down for a group buy(only $25 each) anyone else?

At $33.50 I'm debating it... but at $25, I'd definetly make the move... I'm down for this...

Anybody else? and how would we arrange payment?

Durante

Minsc said:
Yea, that green loading bar at the bottom of the screen did it for me.

Well, I just finished the first two levels, game stuck v-sync'd to 60fps with all presets set to ultra @1920x1200 w/ 4xFSAA. No complaints so far! Other than I suck at the game now!
Thanks for the report, I was considering getting SSHD it but a bit unsure about performance. Will do now.

Nabs

Zaptruder said:
At $33.50 I'm debating it... but at $25, I'd definetly make the move... I'm down for this...

make sure you guys gift the money via paypal & pay for the fee yourself. probably a buck and change.

Wallach

Zaptruder said:

I'd probably go in on this @ $25. PM me if there's a spot.

Thomper

Anyone out there still up for a group buy of Borderlands? Preferably someone in the US, as 100 dollars is quite a bit cheaper than 100 euro's, and I'm European myself. ;)

Also, if there's a kind US-GAFfer that would gift me the Prince of Persia pack: also very, very much appreciated. It's not sold in the EU, and I'd Paypal you the money beforehand, of course.

fresquito

Okay, so I've fixed my problems with BG&E. The problem was the AA. I had to disable it entirelly and the W filtering too. Now everything runs fine. If anybody is having some flickering issues, do that and then force the AA and other stuff through the video card control panel.

Anyway, I dare to ask a noob question. How can I force AA and other stuff through the control panel of an Ati card for especific games?

RedSwirl

I've also been looking at videos of The Witcher and I just cannot convince myself to buy it. This is why every PC-exclusive game needs to have a de-oh wait there is a Witcher demo!

Come to think if it we should probably list demo links (that aren't on Steam) for all the best games on sale that have them.

KaYotiX

Banned
RedSwirl said:
I've also been looking at videos of The Witcher and I just cannot convince myself to buy it. This is why every PC-exclusive game needs to have a de-oh wait there is a Witcher demo!

Come to think if it we should probably list demo links (that aren't on Steam) for all the best games on sale that have them.

I played The Witcher demo and loved it, bought it the next day. After i beat Dragon Age, im jumping into Witcher.

SmZA

RedSwirl said:
How is STALKER Clear Sky? I bought Shadow of Chernobyl a year ago but haven't been able to install it yet.
Play SoC to death first and then decide if you want more. Clear Sky will surely be on special again.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Right, so I just purchased And Yet It Moves, Osmos, Series Sam HD, Torchlight and ZOmbie Bowl-O-Rama for 30 USD.

vocab

TheExodu5 said:
UT3 is better than UT99.

Gimme a fucking break. Ut3 is ass. I played UT99 at one of the highest and fastest levels, UT3 doesn't even compare. Hell the map/mod community alone was just so much better. 2k4 at least was on par with 99. UT3 is the same shit as Source. An old game for a new generation that was translated extremely poorly.

Tokubetsu

RedSwirl said:

The Witcher is/was like the best thing to happen in western role playing games since like 02

Wallach

Lkr said:
how does L4D2 4 pack work? does one person have to buy the entire thing and then everyone pays him back?

Yeah. You just Paypal the person your portion, and one person buys the 4 pack and sends you your copy through Steam.

Parham

Banned
Lkr said:
how does L4D2 4 pack work? does one person have to buy the entire thing and then everyone pays him back?

A single person buys the L4D2 pack for that price and then has the ability to gift the other three copies to whomever he or she wants on his friend list. The person who purchases the game can be reimbursed by his or her friends, but that has to be done outside of Steam through something like PayPal.

Made my first purchase with Serious Sam HD. I'll get Rainbow Six 3 and Outrun near the end, but first want to see what other deals.

Edit: Serious Sam is now number 4 on the Top Sellers list and has beat out Edios Pack :O

Brannon

Teknoman said:
Nope, still blank. Strange because the first time I booted it, the game was in the not installed list. After restarting, it wasnt.

Well send me your email via PM and I'll see if I can re send it that way.

Is there anyway someone would be willing to gift me The Witcher or STALKER? I'd be able to gift you a game of your choosing back next Thursday, I'm totally broke until then and would really love to play either of these games.

Serious Sam is awesome from what I've played. Just wondering if it would be worth jumping into coop without completing the single player portion first?

Edit: Also, the game performs really well. The in-game fps is between 80-85 with the following specs:

Intel E8400@3.00GHz
G.Skill 8GB Ram
XFX Radeon HD4850 1GB
Windows Vista Home Premium 64-Bit

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Holy shit you can open webpages in Steam. Now I can read a KOTOR FAQ godammit :lol . I am absolutely lost in the game... that's why I like markers =(

Bebpo

Banned
Relix said:
Holy shit you can open webpages in Steam. Now I can read a KOTOR FAQ godammit :lol . I am absolutely lost in the game... that's why I like markers =(

Yeah I love this feature for adventure games or when I'm sitting in a lobby in L4D

Smash88

Banned
Relix said:

:lol :lol

Welcome to one year ago.

Top Bottom