• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2009 Begins! (Dec 22nd - Jan 3rd)

RedSwirl

I doubt that the King's Bounty demo will download for me today.

Also, asking again, but is BF2 worth it if I've already got multiplayer shooters on my plate?

Zzoram

Ugh why isn't Mass Effect no sale yet? The wait is killing me. I need to start my PC run asap if I'm going to have it done before ME2.

Thought: I think today's deals are weak becuase they don't expect as many shoppers on Christmas day.

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
Goddammit, I just bought Red Faction for $20 two days ago from Steam. :lol Guess that is what I get for being impatient.

But I am going to pick up Armored Princess. The original King's Bounty was pretty enjoyable.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
joesmokey said:
Are there any Steam servers (US) that will let you download right now? Getting sick of jumping from each one.
I'm getting 325KB/s from Chicago right now, downloading Audiosurf.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
For you guys asking about Red Faction Guerrilla: SHAME on you for not getting the THQ collection during the Black Friday sale. That was one of the best deals Steam has ever posted.

Having said that:

I'm playing it now, and its fun. I don't know how it compares to consoles, but it plays great on my PC. I have a lot of RAM, but I only have a Xeon 2.2ghz CPU, and a 8800GTS, and it runs very smoothly. I don't really get tired of being able to whack the hell out of fools with a giant sledgehammer.

Sanjay

Doytch said:
Woooo, Armored Princess. Was gonna pass after Borecast impressions, but bought!

What did they say? when I listened to that pod cast they were raving on about how good that game was.

mr jones said:
For you guys asking about Red Faction Guerrilla: SHAME on you for not getting the THQ collection during the Black Friday sale. That was one of the best deals Steam has ever posted.

Having said that:

I'm playing it now, and its fun. I don't know how it compares to consoles, but it plays great on my PC. I have a lot of RAM, but I only have a Xeon 2.2ghz CPU, and a 8800GTS, and it runs very smoothly. I don't really get tired of being able to whack the hell out of fools with a giant sledgehammer.

Is there a lot of people still playing it online?

Big-E

Zzoram said:
Ugh why isn't Mass Effect no sale yet? The wait is killing me. I need to start my PC run asap if I'm going to have it done before ME2.

Thought: I think today's deals are weak becuase they don't expect as many shoppers on Christmas day.

How are todays deals week? Good amount of absurdly cheap games plus new titles like Armored Princess reduced and the entire BF2 collection for peanuts. Awesome day today.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
BF2 for 8 fucking bucks. Really? REALLY?... should I? BC2 is coming soon. Should I? Am I too late to get into the game???

BTW what's Armored Princess about? No clue. Looks interesting.

Firehead

Tried buying Amored Princess and Guerrilla, it said there was an error during the purchase.
I checked my games and they're listed now.. and my card hasn't been charged. Should I be worried?

RedSwirl

King's Bounty videos are putting me off the game. No offense to the game, it just doesn't seem like my type of turn-based strategy.

Also, if anyone else hasn't noticed, EA is doing this one game at a time.

Twig

Banned
Man I have no idea why people keep saying today's deals suck.

YESTERDAY'S deals were the suck. Today's are rad. Cogs, BF2, and RF:G for me. I'd get King's Bounty: Armored Princess, but I don't have the first one yet, and I'm OCD about that sort of thing. Plus it's one of those time-consuming types of games. I can wait until I can get both for ten bucks. O:

RedSwirl

I'm probably not even gonna try to install most of what I buy until days after the sale is over. Having a hard enough time trying to download demos for the games I'm not sure about.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
crimsonheadGCN said:
Is there a lot of people still playing it online?

I didn't have much trouble finding a match a couple weeks ago, but I haven't played since then (I sorta got my ass handed to me). Keep in mind that there was a slight surge in the mp population because of the sale last month, but it might have tapered off since then...

RedSwirl said:
King's Bounty videos are putting me off the game. No offense to the game, it just doesn't seem like my type of turn-based strategy.

Also, if anyone else hasn't noticed, EA is doing this one game at a time.

Yeah, they're doing one game at a time and they have enough games on Steam to cover every day of the sale. So every game from EA on Steam should be on sale at least once during this whole thing.

Hopefully I can get Dead Space for $5.00 or less.

Magni

Any idea as to why I can't get RS 3 playing in full screen?

edit: Alt+Enter makes me go full screen, but it stays in 800x600 despite what I set in the Video Options tab..

Javaman

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
I guess I'll get guerrilla and the other two red faction games separately.

Yeah, it's actually 10 bucks more expensive to buy the Red Faction pack then it is to buy each separately. :lol

Jirotrom

TheOneGuy said:
Wasn't Far Cry 2 $10 on the first day?

I'm almost certain it was.

EDIT: Nevermind it still is. O:

You are one cheap fuck. (So am I. I'm not buying anything not on the one-day sales until the last day!)
cheap as shit yea lol, hindsight 20/20 lol

Javaman said:
Yeah, it's actually 10 bucks more expensive to buy the Red Faction pack then it is to buy each separately. :lol

Well at least they adjusted it. The first day it $37 for the pack and $30 for them separately. I see they finally dropped the pack also to $30.

King's Bounty FUCK YEA

They've been reading my mind.

dunbar said:
What sort of RPG is Armored Princess? If I can play it without needing to know anything from the first one then I'm very interested.

You buy/collect troops from various stores or units on the map. You can bring 5 troops into battle, and each one is a stack with a certain number of units depending on how many you bought/can use.

When you enter battle, it's turn based. You move each troop individually, and the side with the last units standing wins.

You mix in character abilities/magic that you can use with each turn.

Colorful overworld with visible enemies that you can choose to engage.

aznpxdd

Got BF2 collection, never owned any of the expansions. There's just something epic about BF2 that hasn't been replicated by any other multiplayer shooter yet.

Doytch

Sanjay said:
What did they say? when I listened to that pod cast they were raving on about how good that game was.
It might have resounded more with me. Basically, I felt the first game was a big long at 30 hours, and Frag said this one was 40+. I figure I'll finish it a bit faster since he said he's playing on Hard and I'll do Normal, but still. At the end of KBTL, I didn't even feel like going through the maze and just FAQ'd that part.

Also, I wasn't a huge fan of the constant mob kiting in KBTL, and they said that was back. That was enough to keep me from spending $20-$30 on it.

That said, I picked it up and it's installing now.

RedSwirl

I've been thinking about getting a gamepad this week for stuff like Braid and Oddworld, but it has to be one with a good D-Pad since I'll only be using it for 2D games, so I'm looking at options other than the 360 pad.

How about those Logitech pads?

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Has anyone had their purchases go through yet?

RF:G is in my games list, but the transaction hasn't been processed.

Big-E

K.Jack said:

Mine hasn't. Keep getting an error.

EDIT: Oh fuck, It is in my game list. Are they going to charge me like 7 times? Ah fuck.

Nevermind. It hasn't fully gone through yet.

RedSwirl said:
I've been thinking about getting a gamepad this week for stuff like Braid and Oddworld, but it has to be one with a good D-Pad since I'll only be using it for 2D games, so I'm looking at options other than the 360 pad.

PS2 + USB adapter if you're cheap. PS3 + bluetooth adapter if not.

I don't see the argument for a 360 pad on PC. The d-pad sucks.

Just picked up Witcher enhanced for $13.59. I've been meaning to check this out for so long and I really wanted to pay for it instead of borrowing it from a friend after they did the huge update with the Enhanced Edition.

K.Jack said:

I received an error getting Witcher, but before I could finish registering for support, I got an email saying the purchase went through and it was in My Games list, so I clicked install and it is currently downloading. I'm assuming the system is glitchy because of all the crazies on right now *shifts_eyes*.

Edit: My download was definitely moving, but now it says 'download starting'.

biocat

RedSwirl said:

saturn_usb_controller_white.jpg

There seems to be a lot of them online for pretty cheap and it, of course, has a nice d-pad.

NIN90

RedSwirl said:

SaturnUSB.jpg

Edit: Beaten

Mrbob

Wow, some crazy deals. Gonna hit up Red Faction myself. And only Armored Princess on sale what kind of sorcery is this? :lol

Maybe the original game will go on sale too?

Top Bottom